HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #2: San Jose Sharks at Edmonton Oilers- "It's In The Frakking Rink!" 1/22/13 7PM

Old
01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Stickmata

vCash: 500
Wow, Clowe looked awful again, and holy schnikes Doug Murray looked like his skates weren't laced. That shift where he got beaten around the edge and then leveled the guy into the side of the net was just about the worst skating I think I've seen by a Sharks player since maybe Greg Hawgood. No, actually, Hawgood was better. Unreal.

Overall though, save for a couple spots, this team looks much better than last year's team.

Love Randy Hahn, but that hair just looks ridiculous.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
Really liked what I saw last night, but why do the sharks have a tendancy to fall back when they get a big lead. It just seemed like from the second period on, they played more conservative than they did in the first and almost let Edmonton back in it.

As for some quick observations after two games, I'm happy to see Marleau on a tear. With all the criticism he gets (And I'm one of those critics), when he is on, he's fun to watch. Also, is it me or did Thornton get that magical passing back? He had some great passes last night, especially the behind the back pass to Marleau. I know both are not going to keep this up, but it is fun to watch that chemistry.

Nice to see Shepperd finally play, but he was kind of useless other than his first shift. Maybe it was rust, but hopefully he adds some kind of depth to that line.

Looking forward to the home opener.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:37 AM
do0glas

I thought sheppard actually created a few scoring chances. As a checking forward he lacks that energy, but when he gets into the zone with the puck hes pretty slick.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
Really liked what I saw last night, but why do the sharks have a tendancy to fall back when they get a big lead. It just seemed like from the second period on, they played more conservative than they did in the first and almost let Edmonton back in it.

As for some quick observations after two games, I'm happy to see Marleau on a tear. With all the criticism he gets (And I'm one of those critics), when he is on, he's fun to watch. Also, is it me or did Thornton get that magical passing back? He had some great passes last night, especially the behind the back pass to Marleau. I know both are not going to keep this up, but it is fun to watch that chemistry.

Nice to see Shepperd finally play, but he was kind of useless other than his first shift. Maybe it was rust, but hopefully he adds some kind of depth to that line.

Looking forward to the home opener.
no use going full out when you have a 5 goal lead, 5 goal night is a great night for any team in the league, coming back just to tie a game up with 5 goals is near impossible.

then add in the fact it is, the 2nd game of a lock out shortened season. where they had no preseason games, and barely a training camp. in a 6-1 game, it is the best place and time to try out new lines, try out new plays.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I thought sheppard actually created a few scoring chances. As a checking forward he lacks that energy, but when he gets into the zone with the puck hes pretty slick.
Given how much Clowe struggles and how great the Couture-Havlat combo is, is it utterly crazy to suggest that Sheppard should get a shot to replace Clowe on that line?

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
Hey Sharks fans, quick question for ya.

I noticed Thornton bagged another 3 assists tonight for a total of 5 assists in 2 games so far. Besides the points, how does he look this season? Is he due for a high scoring season with a boat load of assists, like the old Jumbo Joe, or has he just had a good couple games?
He looks the same to me, so I'd expect the usual 70-80 point pace.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Given how much Clowe struggles and how great the Couture-Havlat combo is, is it utterly crazy to suggest that Sheppard should get a shot to replace Clowe on that line?
gomez would make more sense to be honest, should have the legs to keep up, can carry the zone well enough and has decent vision. Nobody is even sure sheppard is an NHL player yet.

That said, Clowe still has time to get his game back in order. They need his physical presence to create some space.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i

Something I never really noticed from last night's game. Someone done goof'd

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
CSN is still shaking off the rust, I guess.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:05 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
no use going full out when you have a 5 goal lead, 5 goal night is a great night for any team in the league, coming back just to tie a game up with 5 goals is near impossible.

then add in the fact it is, the 2nd game of a lock out shortened season. where they had no preseason games, and barely a training camp. in a 6-1 game, it is the best place and time to try out new lines, try out new plays.
That's true, but the thing is, I see this happening with the team all the time, even when there is no lockout. Also, while not a big deal, I would have thought after the first period at least one of the 2 goal scorers would have gotten a hat trick. The fact that that didn't happen might be the only disappointing thing from that game, and again, it's a minor disappointment.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
To be fair, they did set the oilers on fire....

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:16 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I need to see more of him. he wouldnt look out of sorts up there, and he was very good on the boards, but its hard to guage passing ability on a checking line.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
Also, is it me or did Thornton get that magical passing back? He had some great passes last night, especially the behind the back pass to Marleau
He never lost it. Last season it wasn't Joe not making magic passes, it was the puck not going into the net after the shot. Joe was tearing **** up last season with his passing, he hit pavelski so many times in prime scoring position in front of the net. If anything might be helping, it could be that the passes so far have gone more to marleau. But pavelski clearly has the ability to pot goals.

Last season was the result of historically, horrendously bad luck. The team played well enough to have had a way better result. They should have won the division handily.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
He never lost it. Last season it wasn't Joe not making magic passes, it was the puck not going into the net after the shot. Joe was tearing **** up last season with his passing, he hit pavelski so many times in prime scoring position in front of the net. If anything might be helping, it could be that the passes so far have gone more to marleau. But pavelski clearly has the ability to pot goals.

Last season was the result of historically, horrendously bad luck. The team played well enough to have had a way better result. They should have won the division handily.
I was hoping not to see the words puck luck for at least a few more weeks

I thought it was funny on one of Marleaus' goals how Randy/Drew kept going on about how Joe "knew" where Marleau was going to be when it was pretty clear he meant to pass to Pavs, Pavs couldn't get a stick on it, and it came through to Marleau for the shot.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
It should come up every time an incorrect assessment of last season's performance is made. It's just factual, unfortunately. The team's metrics were far better than their results. We shelled the Oilers just as bad last season but only won 2/4 games. One period this season was three games worth of goals last season! I hope the pendulum swings the other way for us this season, or at least stays neutral!

Quote:
I thought it was funny on one of Marleaus' goals how Randy/Drew kept going on about how Joe "knew" where Marleau was going to be when it was pretty clear he meant to pass to Pavs, Pavs couldn't get a stick on it, and it came through to Marleau for the shot.
I noticed that. On the replay Drew also said Pavelski was "smart to let the puck go to Marleau" ... not sure if that was the case but I suppose it was possible. Either way that was a grade A setup. That's the kind of magic Thornton has and has never lost ... his feints and redirecting of attention are incredible sometimes.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:43 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:

Thornton said he saw Marleau and passed it to him, and Thornton isn't exactly one to toot his own horn so it must be true.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:44 PM
JumboThornton92

I was pretty pumped when I got back from my date last night and saw the sharks were up 6-1

JumboThornton92 is offline   Reply With Quote