HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks sign Gomez to 1 year $700k deal (Burns to IR to make roster spot)

Old
01-23-2013, 10:05 AM
do0glas

vCash: 500
im glad he can score one on one with the goalie. but hes not pulling those out in game very often. couture does though, so why do they play differently?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
im glad he can score one on one with the goalie. but hes not pulling those out in game very often. couture does though, so why do they play differently?
That's because Thornton is going back to letting Marleau snipe while Pavs picks up the garbage goals. If you replace Marleau with a garbage goal scorer, Thornton would give Pavs those snipes (Not that I am saying Pavs is as good as Marleau).

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I am a little confused here. Are you saying that Pavs does not have a good wrister or that Logan's is quicker than Pavs? Because you know those two are mutually exclusive.

Personally, I think Pavs has a pretty decent wrist shot.

01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I am a little confused here. Are you saying that Pavs does not have a good wrister or that Logan's is quicker than Pavs? Because you know those two are mutually exclusive.

Personally, I think Pavs has a pretty decent wrist shot.
I suppose I can relent and admit his shot is above average. probably hyperbolic of me to state otherwise, but Id rather see data on the matter personally. And those of us discussing it are arguing from different perspectives. He is great on the shootout, but those wristers from the faceoff circle/dot...i just dont see him picking corners from there. if you want to take his shot from 5 feet in, i will say its definitely above average, the fact that he can even get one timers off in that area is a great skill.

but put him where couture likes to shoot from and i think we see vastly different results. similar to putting couture in the dirty areas, he would get owned.

so i think we are classifying "shots" differently, and it is easy to see the misunderstanding when you look at it from that perspective.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
I suppose I can relent and admit his shot is above average. probably hyperbolic of me to state otherwise, but Id rather see data on the matter personally. And those of us discussing it are arguing from different perspectives. He is great on the shootout, but those wristers from the faceoff circle/dot...i just dont see him picking corners from there. if you want to take his shot from 5 feet in, i will say its definitely above average, the fact that he can even get one timers off in that area is a great skill.

but put him where couture likes to shoot from and i think we see vastly different results. similar to putting couture in the dirty areas, he would get owned.

so i think we are classifying "shots" differently, and it is easy to see the misunderstanding when you look at it from that perspective.
but pavs also shoots from the hashmarks plenty of times (sadly there is no highlight reels for pavs which sucks) and he scores more often then not from those scoring area's to (by picking his corner and letting go of a deadly accurate shot)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
do0glas

I really only have memory to go on, and I typically see joe plant in front of the net and marleau/couture shooting wristers/snappers from those areas.

granted he may take shots from there time to time, and as the saying goes "even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then". "above average" is a murky, vague grey area. doesnt really appreciate the subtle differences in shooting skills between NHLs.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:31 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
I really only have memory to go on, and I typically see joe plant in front of the net and marleau/couture shooting wristers/snappers from those areas.

granted he may take shots from there time to time, and as the saying goes "even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then". "above average" is a murky, vague grey area. doesnt really appreciate the subtle differences in shooting skills between NHLs.
Sure it does. Those subtle differences are what separate the elite shooters like Stamkos, Ovechkin from everyone else.

Both Pavelski and Couture have above average shots, Marleau's is better then both of them and he's still not on Stamkos' level.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:

so because his job on his line (a line which consists of 1 of the best passers in the games history, and an elite goal scorer....which is no slight to pavs) is to be the guy who crashes the net it reflects in how pavelski's shot is?

given the chance to shoot outside of the crease, every time he does it will be a great scoring chance or a goal. his shot like i said earlier is deadly accurate and he has such a quick release to that shot the goalies barely have time to see where the puck is going before it is in the back of the net.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:40 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Sure it does. Those subtle differences are what separate the elite shooters like Stamkos, Ovechkin from everyone else.

Both Pavelski and Couture have above average shots, Marleau's is better then both of them and he's still not on Stamkos' level.
right, so you cant just say above average. you have to explain yourself. IE: pavelskis shot is good, but not quite like marleaus shot which still isnt as good as stamkos. Thats a good way to classify it.

Pavs shot is above average. okay, thanks for nothing really.

I will just watch pavs this season and come to my own conclusions. same with gomez which weve gotten off topic from.

but deadly accurate, and goalies not being able to see it are a bit of hyperbole for me. sounds like a 50 goal scorer.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
do0glas

sorry for double post:

went and watched some highlights, he does have a good wrister from 5-7 feet out. he is very good at getting the puck through on a heavily screened goalie, which isnt easy.

i will relent .

Old
01-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

I would rank the top 6 in terms of their shot like this:
Marleau/Thornton
Havlat
Couture/Pavelski
Clowe

The sharks have very good shooters in the top 6. You may find it surprising that I have Thornton that high but he has a great shot. He just never has any interest in shooting.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
stalockrox

Ignore all the tweets that say Kennedy going on waivers opens a spot for Gomez - it doesn't.

Kennedy was on an AHL deal and was finally signed to an NHL SPC and has to be waived to play in the AHL. The Sharks are still carrying the same 23 man roster.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
anthonyyy

vCash: 1004
If Pavs didn't have a good shot, he wouldn't be playing the point on the PP. Honestly, Clowe has a horrible wrist shot and slapshot, but he is a pretty decent passer. Gomez isn't going to be relied on to shoot a bunch of clappers from the top of the circles, so he'll be fine. His speed will be a nice addition to the team.

anthonyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
.. No way he lost the ability to shoot at 33...
One thing he has lost is some of the confidence to shoot. He used to get 200+ shots, up to something like 270 at his peak, which would have been like top-20 in the whole NHL last year. I remember Rangers fans lamenting his skate-into-the-zone and take a low percentage shot on goal tendencies. He has lost the confidence in that play gradually. Maybe for good reason, but at the same time, sometimes those innocuous shots find a way in, or if your linemates are following the play or going to the net they can become scoring chances. He didn't do a lot of that with the Habs, and if he ever did, there wasn't much puck support for him. It's another area where he could get his mojo back and find it makes a big difference if his linemates are clicking with him. He *will* be gaining the zone with the puck on his stick, that's for sure. What he does next with it is the real key. Dumping it on net when nothing else is available ought to be a better play than just dumping it away like he seemed to do more and more for the Habs.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Gomez update:

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

As I said last night, Sharks today will agree to terms with Scott Gomez on one-year, $700,000 (pro-rated) deal

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:45 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

KKurzCSN 9:43am via Twitter for iPhone It's official. #SJSharks will sign Scott Gomez today to a one-year deal worth $700,000.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:45 AM
stalockrox

So, no more Nem contracts...bummer!

Sharks still need to make a roster move and since none of their roster players were put on waivers I'm guessing it'll be Burns to IR.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:46 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Gomez update:
has the team arrived in SJ and had practice today, yet?

Old
01-23-2013, 11:48 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
has the team arrived in SJ and had practice today, yet?
Assuming they got in about 2am, there's a 9 hour "sleep" break required by CBA (MOU).

Scheduled for noon.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
KKurzCSN 9:43am via Twitter for iPhone It's official. #SJSharks will sign Scott Gomez today to a one-year deal worth $700,000.
so its not official, its just official that today is the day that they make it official?

Old
01-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
so its not official, its just official that today is the day that they make it official?
Officially? Yes.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
sjshrky27

Per Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
Sharks place Tim Kennedy on waivers to make room for Gomez

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Per Nick Kypreos
this was debunked a few posts up, tim kennedy wasn't on the sharks 23 man roster.

so his waiver movement means nothing for gomez.

if you want to look at a move that means they opened up space, look at burns to IR, or irwin/mclaren/wingels/sheppard back to the ahl.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:57 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Per Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
No, they didn't - Kypreos, Dreger, Friedman are all wrong here.
Kennedy wasn't on the San Jose roster to begin with.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:00 PM
sjshrky27

My bad. Didnt think it was posted yet.
So then I wonder who will get bumped?

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote