HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 500
His defensive play has really impressed. I didn't expect that. And he's been decent on faceoffs.

You can see he's hesitant right now. Which is completely understandable given his age. You can also see the vision and potential. We should see him take some big strides as he gets more games under his belt.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Lil Jim 1031

It seems most people are generally pleased with Grig's play so far and Lindy's handling of him, wanting him to focus on his defensive responsibilities/awareness and not being a liability out there. The general consensus seems to be that the offense will come out in time as he gets more comfortable.

I agree with all these points, and agree that his play at ES should focus on being defensively responsible. However, I do think that not getting time on the PP could be detrimental to his overall play, if Lindy sticks to his current PP units for the time being.

Adjusting to the NHL as an 18 year old is extremely difficult, especially trying to produce offense at ES. Playing a 3rd line role with limited minutes will be tough for him to produce points, and when a player doesn't produce any points (especially a young player known for his offensive abilities) he starts to lose confidence, feel the pressure, and start pressing offensively, ultimately hurting his overall play, especially in his own end.

Grig's offensive ability is what makes him such a special player. These abilities are magnified on the PP, and probably the easiest adjustment he will have to the NHL will be on the PP, where he has a little more time and space to use his creativity. By giving Grigs time on the PP, letting him pick up some points and make some offensive plays, I feel it would do wonders for his confidence. It would ease the pressure to produce points at ES (which he would inevitably feel if he has 0 pts in the 1st 7-10 games, assuming he stays) and allow him to focus on playing a defensively responsible game. This would be the best way to "ease" him into the NHL in my opinion.

Last edited by Lil Jim 1031: 01-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
You know Crosby grew up on the East Coast in Canada, not the US, right?
Sid grew up 15 minutes away from me. So yea, I know where Cole Harbour is.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:10 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

He could be the antithesis and be Luke Adam, with early offensive success and a complete lack of awareness in the defensive zone. Who wants that?

Instead, he is showing he understand the system, plays within it and has taken care of his responsibilities.

If he sticks, which I suspect will happen, he will ultimately get PP time, whether it be due to injury or Lindy shaking things up when they arent going well.

I do not have a problem with leaving Foligno in lieu of Grigs on the second unit right now. Feed the kid a bit at a time. A goal or two could also jumpstart Foligno, Staff and Ennis.

Expectations need to be tempered a bit.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Rael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Jim 1031 View Post
I agree with all these points, and agree that his play at ES should focus on being defensively responsible. However, I do think that not getting time on the PP could be detrimental to his overall play, if Lindy sticks to his current PP units for the time being.

Adjusting to the NHL as an 18 year old is extremely difficult, especially trying to produce offense at ES. Playing a 3rd line role with limited minutes will be tough for him to produce points, and when a player doesn't produce any points (especially a young player known for his offensive abilities) he starts to lose confidence, feel the pressure, and start pressing offensively, ultimately hurting his overall play, especially in his own end.

Grig's offensive ability is what makes him such a special player. These abilities are magnified on the PP, and probably the easiest adjustment he will have to the NHL will be on the PP, where he has a little more time and space to use his creativity. By giving Grigs time on the PP, letting him pick up some points and make some offensive plays, I feel it would do wonders for his confidence. It would ease the pressure to produce points at ES (which he would inevitably feel if he has 0 pts in the 1st 7-10 games, assuming he stays) and allow him to focus on playing a defensively responsible game. This would be the best way to "ease" him into the NHL in my opinion.
very well said

Old
01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Afino
The Juice

http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments...ays-in-buffalo

French-language newspaper La Presse in Montreal had some quotes from Quebec Remparts coach Patrick Roy yesterday concerning Mikhail Grigorenko, who has three games remaining with the Sabres before Darcy Regier and his crew have to make a decision on keeping him or sending him back to the QMJHL:

"I begin to think that there is a strong possibility that Mikhail does not return with us. Yesterday (Monday), he played 13 minutes in his second game in two nights. He is doing well with the Sabres. And he behaves well defensively. I begin to think that the team I have right now, and that will add Kurt Etchegary when he is ready to return, is the one (with which) I'm going to finish the season."

Old
01-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

He's been okay so far. I didn't expect him to be gangbusters offensively simply because many 18 year olds don't even MAKE the league. He's been solid defensively but I suspect that's more in line with Ruff than him. He's a good skater and has fantastic hands but he needs to maybe be a bit more patient with the puck and make smarter decisions.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Shoey
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
No problem with how ruff is working him in right now.

In 2 years when this BS is still going on and he's Thomas Vanek part 2, then I'll worry.
I... what?

did you miss the part where Vanek is consistently one of the best goal scorers in the NHL or?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments...ays-in-buffalo

French-language newspaper La Presse in Montreal had some quotes from Quebec Remparts coach Patrick Roy yesterday concerning Mikhail Grigorenko, who has three games remaining with the Sabres before Darcy Regier and his crew have to make a decision on keeping him or sending him back to the QMJHL:

"I begin to think that there is a strong possibility that Mikhail does not return with us. Yesterday (Monday), he played 13 minutes in his second game in two nights. He is doing well with the Sabres. And he behaves well defensively. I begin to think that the team I have right now, and that will add Kurt Etchegary when he is ready to return, is the one (with which) I'm going to finish the season."
Good info.

Now that MG has played 2 games and done OK defensively, I suspect Ruff will try and work him in with some offensive talent in the remaining 3 games.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

Quote:
No problem with how ruff is working him in right now.

In 2 years when this BS is still going on and he's Thomas Vanek part 2, then I'll worry.
Except Grigs can skate and Vanek can't?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Shoey
Hello.

Oh wait do you mean in a sense of Ruff mishandling Thomas Vanek? because in that case I wholeheartedly agree. I've been making the case for years that the biggest reason Vanek doesn't produce to the level we all expect is a lack of TOI. The other snipers in the league pretty much all consistently play more than Vanek, and that's an issue.

Remember when Ruff said "I'm going to turn him into the best 2-way forward in hockey" and proceeded to give up on having him on the PK weeks later?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:26 PM

Remember both games he has played have been against rivals and have been very close, l expect him to be alittle more offensive against Carolina.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
New poll on WGR:
Quote:
Which is more important for the Sabres success this season?
The team's new attitude and toughness
Mikhail Grigorenko producing

Thankfully it's 90% in favor of the first choice.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:55 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Apparently Gerbe is skating on his line with Ott. While I've liked Jochen Hecht as a defensive forward so far, his reads on the forecheck and general possession game ain't what they used to be, and hopefully a little more tenacity and another shot get that line going offensively, without sacrificing much of their defensive worth with Jochen out there.

Also, now we get to doubleshift Foligno/Ott with Kaleta and Hecht as a more regular unit.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Erik Estrada

I've seen lots of games when he was playing in Quebec... What struck me is he still looks big and fast in the NHL. He's also strong on the puck (one example was when he was being checked hard down low along the boards and he came out with the puck). So he definitely looks like an NHL player.

What he needs to do now is soak up everything he can at practices, listen to his coach and learning the system. Progressively eat more error free minutes. I think this will be very important for him to stay up... Scoring will come.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
He is hard working and doesn't seem to have the Russian attitude. Keep him if it keeps up
I don't know what 'russian attitude' should be, but I know how hard it is for most russian players to be under the microscope of stereotypes in NA.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:29 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
Oh wait do you mean in a sense of Ruff mishandling Thomas Vanek? because in that case I wholeheartedly agree. I've been making the case for years that the biggest reason Vanek doesn't produce to the level we all expect is a lack of TOI. The other snipers in the league pretty much all consistently play more than Vanek, and that's an issue.

Remember when Ruff said "I'm going to turn him into the best 2-way forward in hockey" and proceeded to give up on having him on the PK weeks later?
This is what I mean...this and the head games. Benching for stupid turnovers while other guys don't get that treatment...things like that.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Sorry I live in Europe so I would like to hear some thoughts on him not only as a hockey player but as an 18 year old.
A lot of ppl have doubts about his age as do I. Looks more like 20 to me. Maybe one more reason for his maturity. Shouldn't bother the Sabres though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
A lot of russians come to North America with a big head, lazy and "spoiled" by the North American culture.
Stereotypes over stereotypes.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:36 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Gerbe is much better suited for Grigs wing then Hecht. Grigs right now already looks like a solid 3rd line center and even though he doesn't have a point yet I am very pleased with how he has looked. Very few 18 year olds are that defensively aware at that age, especially forwards. The points will come once he has a few games experience under his belt and earns a few more minutes at ES and some 2nd PP unit time. I'd actually like to see Grigs on the 1st unit playing with Pominville and Vanek.The last and maybe biggest reason why he needs to stay is face offs. The Sabres are 2nd last in FO%. Grigs is 2nd on the team behind Ott at 56%. Both Ennis and Hodgson are around 40%.We can ill afford to just send back down our best true center at face offs. Ott is not a true center, and it's quite obvious Grigs is much better at face offs then Ennis and Hodgson.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:56 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Gerbe is much better suited for Grigs wing then Hecht. Grigs right now already looks like a solid 3rd line center and even though he doesn't have a point yet I am very pleased with how he has looked. Very few 18 year olds are that defensively aware at that age, especially forwards. The points will come once he has a few games experience under his belt and earns a few more minutes at ES and some 2nd PP unit time. I'd actually like to see Grigs on the 1st unit playing with Pominville and Vanek.The last and maybe biggest reason why he needs to stay is face offs. The Sabres are 2nd last in FO%. Grigs is 2nd on the team behind Ott at 56%. Both Ennis and Hodgson are around 40%.We can ill afford to just send back down our best true center at face offs. Ott is not a true center, and it's quite obvious Grigs is much better at face offs then Ennis and Hodgson.
I would love to see PP units of:
Vanek-CoHo-Grigs
Pommer-Ehrhoff
(Roy's been having Grigorenko QB the PP from the right half wall all season, and he was great there. Also, a good place for him to use his one-timer)

and

Leino/Ott-Ennis-Stafford
Leopold-Myers

I don't expect Ruff to gift the kid any minutes, though. But I sure hope he'll get that opportunity if he earns it.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:08 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
I like Gerbe there because he's a shooter, should compliment Grigs playmaking pretty nicely.

If that trio works out, man what happens to Leino...poor guy.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Jim Carr's Rug

Quote:
I like Gerbe there because he's a shooter, should compliment Grigs playmaking pretty nicely.

If that trio works out, man what happens to Leino...poor guy.
Maybe Leino could use a little competition.

I thought Grigs has looked solid except for one shift in Toronto where he made some bad plays in our zone and looked overwhelmed, briefly.

I hope he stays.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
The Washer

I dont want Hecht on Grigs line. Hecht wont even look in his direction when on the ice together. Prefers bad angle shots to passing it to Grigs. Im sure it has nothing to do with Grigs occupying his 3C position??? I guess if you dont pass it to him, he has less opportunities to shine. Less shine the greater potential he gets sent down. Ow hey look, 3C is available. #HechtNO!!

BTW I am extremely pleased with his play and with the way Ruff&Co have handled him.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
New poll on WGR:

Thankfully it's 90% in favor of the first choice.
I heard that driving in this morning and was particularly appalled by the morning crew. I don't listen to them most days, but with driving in, figured I would. What a mistake... just a clueless bunch yammering about "OMGZ, get our shiny precious out on the PP!".

01-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgothemo View Post
I dont want Hecht on Grigs line. Hecht wont even look in his direction when on the ice together. Prefers bad angle shots to passing it to Grigs. Im sure it has nothing to do with Grigs occupying his 3C position??? I guess if you dont pass it to him, he has less opportunities to shine. Less shine the greater potential he gets sent down. Ow hey look, 3C is available. #HechtNO!!

BTW I am extremely pleased with his play and with the way Ruff&Co have handled him.
Mad conspiracy right there. Hecht just isn't an offensive dynamo, he isn't here for that. He isn't thinking "oh, i must get the puck to Grigs at all costs" or "Grigs stole my spot!" (if anything Jochen would want the team to win over any selfishness) he just tries to execute the simple plays of his role; defence, dump the puck and get shots on net. Ultimately though, Hecht won't be on his line, so you can sleep easy.

Closed Thread