HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sights in San Jose?

Old
01-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Mattb124

vCash: 500
Capitola is a fun beach town. Santana Row is good shopping. San Francisco has the best touristy stuff. Napa and Sonoma are great for wine drinkers. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is world class.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:37 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
I recently moved to San Francisco, after visiting San Jose, the only major site I really wanted to visit/visited was the HP Pavilion.

Other than that, more stuff to do in SF imo.

StreetSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:48 AM
MechaMarleau
Vertebraeker

The Fairmont is amazing (as are all fairmonts) and yeah, that's off of Plaza de Cesar Chavez, which is the center of things you would want to see.

The Tech Museum (right downtown) is okay...it doesn't update enough for locals like me, but it does have interesting stuff. They also may be running a large exhibit next door- when I went it was Star Trek, then they had Islamic science, don't know now. Those are really well done.

The De Anza and Fairmont are great if you like old-style cocktail lounges. Both have live jazz on the weekends (De Anza Thur-Sun), and are nice places to unwind.

Glad to see people admit that the Egyptian Museum is something in SJ that's actually better than what you can get elsewhere. They have three real mummies, when I went, plus some cool stuff from the post-pharoah ages.

MechaMarleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Some of you act ashamed to live in a place that caters more to residents than it does to tourists.
I'm not ashamed of where I live because of the lack of tourist destinations. If you want to get into why I'm ashamed to live in Cali I could go on for days about the "elected officials" running our state

I think the point most are trying to make is that SJ is a really nice laid back place, but there aren't a ton of "sights" to see if you are visiting. SF and the Santa Cruz/Monterey/Carmel area offer a bit more for the first time visitor.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:52 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMarleau View Post
The Tech Museum (right downtown) is okay...it doesn't update enough for locals like me, but it does have interesting stuff. They also may be running a large exhibit next door- when I went it was Star Trek, then they had Islamic science, don't know now. Those are really well done.
So you missed the Mythbusters Explosive Experience? My bro and nephew were up and we went. Fun, highly recommended.

(But only ran through first weekend of January)

So neat to see many "artifacts" from the show.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:18 PM
68 Z-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
So you missed the Mythbusters Explosive Experience? My bro and nephew were up and we went. Fun, highly recommended.

My dad and I went. It was amazing to see some of the stuff they built in person.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:

Dang, why did it run so shortly? I actually kept meaning to go and just now discovered it was gone (when looking to see if there were other neat exhibits at the Tech, I haven't been in awhile).

CrazedZooChimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:27 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Dang, why did it run so shortly? I actually kept meaning to go and just now discovered it was gone (when looking to see if there were other neat exhibits at the Tech, I haven't been in awhile).
Was open 6+ weeks.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:52 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Some of you act ashamed to live in a place that caters more to residents than it does to tourists.
I don't think "ashamed" is a fair term at all.

Lived here my entire life (save for a few years where I went to college out of state). Love this area and don't want to ever live anywhere else.....but I know what it is and what it isn't.

It's a great place to live.....but it's a pretty terrible destination for tourists looking for things to see and do. Especially compared to other infinitely more enjoyable tourist stops both near and far. We all know this. It's part of why we live here.....because we can go to so many other fun places without having to actually live on top of them. So if others ask, people tell them where to go.

Grew up in Sunnyvale. Loved it. Would never tell anybody visiting from out of town, "Oh, you simply have to go visit......the dilapated bankrupt mall that they tore down and are now kinda sorta rebuilding maybe if they get around to it but that still has a Target.....and while you're there, don't forget to check out.....the two blocks of bars and restaurants that have the exact same food and drinks you can get everywhere else."

I love my house. I love my neighborhood. I'm not ashamed of them. I just know my front lawn isn't a thriving tourist destination. Come for the unwatered flower bed, stay for the malfunctioning garage door!

Likewise, I love visiting downtown SF, but I wouldn't live there again. Great place to visit, would hate to raise children there.

If someone wants to know where would be a great place to live and work, I can think of no greater place. If someone's looking for unique sights and unforgettable experiences, I'm not going to tell them, "Skip Alcatraz and avoid wine country and just go straight to......Vallco."

SJGoalie32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:45 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Was open 6+ weeks.
Football season doesn't count, there aren't any weekends during football season!

CrazedZooChimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 04:47 AM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

First, this should be a sticky thread for all future tourists to San Jose.

2nd, I actually like places that are more set up for the residence of those towns as when you are a tourist, you get to see it how it really is. I know I am like that when traveling to Europe. I ask my friends from those towns to show me the non-touristy places.

tattooedsean is offline   Reply With Quote