HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospect Update 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
R2010

vCash: 500
Richardson just said on Team 1200 that Stone had cracked ribs earlier in the year which he played through and that sometimes he still gets bothered by it. I'm sure that may explain some things with respect to his shooting perhaps?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:58 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
Richardson just said on Team 1200 that Stone had cracked ribs earlier in the year which he played through and that sometimes he still gets bothered by it. I'm sure that may explain some things with respect to his shooting perhaps?
Heard that, really liked what he had to say about Grant. I see Grant as a very good 3rd line centre in Ottawa next season with Greening & Stone on his wings.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:32 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Heard that, really liked what he had to say about Grant. I see Grant as a very good 3rd line centre in Ottawa next season with Greening & Stone on his wings.
Unless Smith gets traded for Larsson, I dont see that spot open.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:19 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Unless Smith gets traded for Larsson, I dont see that spot open.
Smith could be moved to LW & be just as effective.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:59 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
You could say the exact same thing about Grant. Difference is Smith will have 3 extra years of experience at the NHL level, something that is invaluable for a defensive center. Grant won't be displacing Smith anytime soon.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Faceoff Leaders

7. Zack Smith - 66.7%

Old
01-22-2013, 10:52 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Faceoff Leaders

7. Zack Smith - 66.7%
Haha awesome to see but I don't know if that will last. And although I wouldn't be entirely opposed to moving Smith to the wing, I certainly wouldn't do it for Grant.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:27 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
You could say the exact same thing about Grant. Difference is Smith will have 3 extra years of experience at the NHL level, something that is invaluable for a defensive center. Grant won't be displacing Smith anytime soon.
This. I don't know if Grant's parents even like him as much as Aragorn does.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:20 AM
The Fuhr*

Grant leads the AHL with 5 shorthanded goals... and leads Bingo in goals... Hes coming for a bottom six spot

Old
01-23-2013, 11:32 AM
TooLow494

I could see Grant replacing Regin or even Daugavins (13th forward) spot next season.

Have to remember that there are other players to consider as well:

Noesen, Hoffman may be vying for that 3-4 line LW spot.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:32 AM
TooLow494

BTW what's going on with Peterson.

The info coming out of the AHL is disgusting this year... miss Joy

Old
01-23-2013, 11:36 AM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

I think I read somewhere that he had a similar injury to Cowen's and is out for a couple of months.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

ya, Petersson is done for the year like Cowen. He had the same surgery. Poor kid. Didn't we bring him over because the doctors in sweden were not addressing some other problem he had properly until our doctors took a look at him?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
ya, Petersson is done for the year like Cowen. He had the same surgery. Poor kid. Didn't we bring him over because the doctors in sweden were not addressing some other problem he had properly until our doctors took a look at him?
They changed his treatment somehow when he got over to North America and it obviously worked better.

This surgery is related to the old issues, though.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

RIP Andre Petersson

Old
01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Alf Silfversson

Quote:

Grant's numbers this year in the AHL are not that much better than Smith's numbers last year in the NHL.

Smith is also tougher and has a better shot.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:38 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Grant leads the AHL with 5 shorthanded goals... and leads Bingo in goals... Hes coming for a bottom six spot
IMO he would be the perfect 3rd line centre in Ottawa next yr & Maclean could create on his 3rd line something similar to what Richardson did with so much success, a 3rd line of 6'3" guys. Greening - Grant - Stone 3rd line would not only be a tough line to play against but would play a good defensive game & they would also add to the offence with some goals & pts. A 4th line of Z. Smith - JOB - Neil would also be a tough line to play against.

I think that Regin, Condra & Daugavins will not be resigned & it remains to be seen what Alfredsson does but I could see at least three new forwards added next yr Zibanejad, Stone & Grant & all three have good size.

Quote:
RIP Andre Petersson
I have said it since we drafted this guy that he was too small & would be injury prone. I have also said that I expect him to play in Sweden next season & I still do. Too bad to, he had some good skill.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Alf Silfversson

At this point I'm convinced this guy is a troll ^^^^^

What the hell does Petersson's size have to do with a hip injury?

Jared Cowen has the same problem. Is that because Jared's too small?

If Aragorn had his way the Ottawa roster would consist of 7 guys.

Chara
Gill
John Scott
Joe Finley
a 60 year old Kjell Samuelsson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Derek Grant

Old
01-23-2013, 12:49 PM
The Fuhr*

Hes not wrong... GM's prefer big hockey players... see it at the draft every year

Old
01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberger View Post
At this point I'm convinced this guy is a troll ^^^^^

What the hell does Petersson's size have to do with a hip injury?

Jared Cowen has the same problem. Is that because Jared's too small?

If Aragorn had his way the Ottawa roster would consist of 7 guys.

Chara
Gill
John Scott
Joe Finley
a 60 year old Kjell Samuelsson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Derek Grant

Well because he is small & takes a hit from a guy who out weights him by 40 to 60 pounds he will take much more punishment. Isn't this his 3rd sever injury since we drafted him. I remember him having a serious back problem a number of yrs ago & a leg injury maybe the knee & now a hip injury that puts him out for the yr. Cowen has had a couple of serious injuries too but he is already pencilled into the lineup in Ottawa & has an NHL job.

On top of that I see Silfverberg, Neil, Stone, Zibanejad, Noesen, JOB & Grant ahead of Andre on the depth chart. Yes a few of those guys play centre but they can also play RW & I don't see any room for him on LW. From your list I would take Chara (who I wanted to keep instead of Redden) & Grant. You do know that Lew Alcinder (AKA Kareem) was a basketball player right?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Alf Silfversson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Hes not wrong... GM's prefer big hockey players... see it at the draft every year
So size is the sole criteria for drafting?

Of course it is NOT.

OF COURSE if all other skills are equal, a larger player is preferable.

A combination of size and skill is what makes good hockey players.

Using only size as a tool to measure talent is a guarantee for failure in a speed oriented game, such as today's NHL.

He is wrong. As evidence he stated that the likes of Darren Kramer and Jakub Culek were going to make it hard for smaller players like Prince and Pageau to make the AHL roster this year.

Watch those four players, tell who's the biggest and then tell who the 2 best players are.

Last edited by Alf Silfversson: 01-23-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 12:56 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

The back problem was an injury that was misdiagnosed and mistreated by his SEL team that was fixed as soon as Ottawa flew him over and took a look at him.

In fact it's remarkable how well he played with his back so screwed up he was in pain skating around the rink. Tied for the WJC scoring league.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Alf Silfversson

Quote:
Well because he is small & takes a hit from a guy who out weights him by 40 to 60 pounds he will take much more punishment. Isn't this his 3rd sever injury since we drafted him. I remember him having a serious back problem a number of yrs ago & a leg injury maybe the knee & now a hip injury that puts him out for the yr. Cowen has had a couple of serious injuries too but he is already pencilled into the lineup in Ottawa & has an NHL job.

On top of that I see Silfverberg, Neil, Stone, Zibanejad, Noesen, JOB & Grant ahead of Andre on the depth chart. Yes a few of those guys play centre but they can also play RW & I don't see any room for him on LW. From your list I would take Chara (who I wanted to keep instead of Redden) & Grant. You do know that Lew Alcinder (AKA Kareem) was a basketball player right?
The point isn't who has had an NHL job. The point was you took a joint injury to a 5'9 player and used it to say that he's injury prone because of his size when the injury has NOTHING to do with taking hits. Your use of anecdotal evidence (selective anecdotal evidence at that) to support your obsessive contention that only big players are of any use is either a long-term troll or asinine beyond belief.

Sadly Jared Cowen has had two serious injuries. Eric Lindros was one of the biggest injury risks in NHL history. Jason Allison had to retire early due to injury. Mario Lemieux missed SEASONS due to injury problems.

Meanwhile Martin St. Louis has missed 7 games in the last 7 years.

NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT SIZE.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:11 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberger View Post
So size is the sole criteria for drafting?

Of course it is NOT.

OF COURSE if all other skills are equal, a larger player is preferable.

A combination of size and skill is what makes good hockey players.

Using only size as a tool to measure talent is a guarantee for failure in a speed oriented game, such as today's NHL.

He is wrong. As evidence he stated that the likes of Darren Kramer and Jakub Culek were going to make it hard for smaller players like to make the AHL roster this year.

Watch those four players, tell who's the biggest and then tell who the 2 best players are.
I have never said that size alone is the most important quality for drafting or picking players but others like yourself have about me. It's always been my opinion that a combination of size & skill are important & there are some smaller players that have so much skill they belong in the NHL. It's just that there aren't a lot of them & when people compare our small players to Martin St Louis well there is only one of him. It remains to be seen if any of our small players become that good, IMO Prince & Da Costa probably have the best chance, but I'm still not sure if they make the NHL & doubt if it will be in Ottawa. I also happen to like mostly 3rd & 4th line players more.

While I like Kramer's toughness & Culek's size/skill combination I'm not sure either will make it to the NHL but I do think Culek will be in Bingo next season. As Neil ages & Kramer works on his craft in Bingo maybe he is Neil's replacement, I don't know. It's been my observation over the last number of yrs that the team's who win the Stanley Cup are usually fairly big & tough teams like Chicago, Boston, Annahiem & LA. So that's the criteria I like to use too including size down the middle & in net. And I think Ottawa is slowly getting there, they have a pretty big left side & when Zibanejad & Stone get here they will be even bigger than they are now. Add Grant & maybe DD & Gryba & they could be a pretty big tough team to play against too but who knows what will happen.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
General Granny*

lol owned.

I don't even get why people even waste their time responding to his childish arguments of size.

Closed Thread