HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospect Update 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
  #126
R2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Richardson just said on Team 1200 that Stone had cracked ribs earlier in the year which he played through and that sometimes he still gets bothered by it. I'm sure that may explain some things with respect to his shooting perhaps?

R2010 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 03:58 PM
  #127
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
Richardson just said on Team 1200 that Stone had cracked ribs earlier in the year which he played through and that sometimes he still gets bothered by it. I'm sure that may explain some things with respect to his shooting perhaps?
Heard that, really liked what he had to say about Grant. I see Grant as a very good 3rd line centre in Ottawa next season with Greening & Stone on his wings.

aragorn is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:32 PM
  #128
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 22,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Heard that, really liked what he had to say about Grant. I see Grant as a very good 3rd line centre in Ottawa next season with Greening & Stone on his wings.
Unless Smith gets traded for Larsson, I dont see that spot open.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:19 PM
  #129
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Unless Smith gets traded for Larsson, I dont see that spot open.
Smith could be moved to LW & be just as effective.

aragorn is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:59 PM
  #130
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Smith could be moved to LW & be just as effective.
You could say the exact same thing about Grant. Difference is Smith will have 3 extra years of experience at the NHL level, something that is invaluable for a defensive center. Grant won't be displacing Smith anytime soon.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
  #131
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Smith could be moved to LW & be just as effective.
Faceoff Leaders

7. Zack Smith - 66.7%

Qward is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:52 PM
  #132
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Faceoff Leaders

7. Zack Smith - 66.7%
Haha awesome to see but I don't know if that will last. And although I wouldn't be entirely opposed to moving Smith to the wing, I certainly wouldn't do it for Grant.

wubwubwubwub is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 03:27 AM
  #133
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,488
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
You could say the exact same thing about Grant. Difference is Smith will have 3 extra years of experience at the NHL level, something that is invaluable for a defensive center. Grant won't be displacing Smith anytime soon.
This. I don't know if Grant's parents even like him as much as Aragorn does.

WasTeD is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:20 AM
  #134
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Grant leads the AHL with 5 shorthanded goals... and leads Bingo in goals... Hes coming for a bottom six spot

The Fuhr* is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 11:32 AM
  #135
TooLow494
Registered User
 
TooLow494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
I could see Grant replacing Regin or even Daugavins (13th forward) spot next season.

Have to remember that there are other players to consider as well:

Noesen, Hoffman may be vying for that 3-4 line LW spot.

TooLow494 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 11:32 AM
  #136
TooLow494
Registered User
 
TooLow494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
BTW what's going on with Peterson.

The info coming out of the AHL is disgusting this year... miss Joy

TooLow494 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 11:36 AM
  #137
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!
 
The Turret's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,979
vCash: 500
I think I read somewhere that he had a similar injury to Cowen's and is out for a couple of months.

The Turret is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:04 PM
  #138
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,913
vCash: 500
ya, Petersson is done for the year like Cowen. He had the same surgery. Poor kid. Didn't we bring him over because the doctors in sweden were not addressing some other problem he had properly until our doctors took a look at him?

Qward is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
  #139
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
ya, Petersson is done for the year like Cowen. He had the same surgery. Poor kid. Didn't we bring him over because the doctors in sweden were not addressing some other problem he had properly until our doctors took a look at him?
They changed his treatment somehow when he got over to North America and it obviously worked better.

This surgery is related to the old issues, though.

sg58 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
  #140
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,665
vCash: 500
RIP Andre Petersson

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
  #141
Alf Silfversson
Registered User
 
Alf Silfversson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
You could say the exact same thing about Grant. Difference is Smith will have 3 extra years of experience at the NHL level, something that is invaluable for a defensive center. Grant won't be displacing Smith anytime soon.


Grant's numbers this year in the AHL are not that much better than Smith's numbers last year in the NHL.

Smith is also tougher and has a better shot.

Alf Silfversson is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:38 PM
  #142
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Grant leads the AHL with 5 shorthanded goals... and leads Bingo in goals... Hes coming for a bottom six spot
IMO he would be the perfect 3rd line centre in Ottawa next yr & Maclean could create on his 3rd line something similar to what Richardson did with so much success, a 3rd line of 6'3" guys. Greening - Grant - Stone 3rd line would not only be a tough line to play against but would play a good defensive game & they would also add to the offence with some goals & pts. A 4th line of Z. Smith - JOB - Neil would also be a tough line to play against.

I think that Regin, Condra & Daugavins will not be resigned & it remains to be seen what Alfredsson does but I could see at least three new forwards added next yr Zibanejad, Stone & Grant & all three have good size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
RIP Andre Petersson
I have said it since we drafted this guy that he was too small & would be injury prone. I have also said that I expect him to play in Sweden next season & I still do. Too bad to, he had some good skill.

aragorn is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:44 PM
  #143
Alf Silfversson
Registered User
 
Alf Silfversson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
At this point I'm convinced this guy is a troll ^^^^^


What the hell does Petersson's size have to do with a hip injury?

Jared Cowen has the same problem. Is that because Jared's too small?

If Aragorn had his way the Ottawa roster would consist of 7 guys.

Chara
Gill
John Scott
Joe Finley
a 60 year old Kjell Samuelsson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Derek Grant


Alf Silfversson is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:49 PM
  #144
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Hes not wrong... GM's prefer big hockey players... see it at the draft every year

The Fuhr* is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
  #145
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberger View Post
At this point I'm convinced this guy is a troll ^^^^^


What the hell does Petersson's size have to do with a hip injury?

Jared Cowen has the same problem. Is that because Jared's too small?

If Aragorn had his way the Ottawa roster would consist of 7 guys.

Chara
Gill
John Scott
Joe Finley
a 60 year old Kjell Samuelsson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Derek Grant

Well because he is small & takes a hit from a guy who out weights him by 40 to 60 pounds he will take much more punishment. Isn't this his 3rd sever injury since we drafted him. I remember him having a serious back problem a number of yrs ago & a leg injury maybe the knee & now a hip injury that puts him out for the yr. Cowen has had a couple of serious injuries too but he is already pencilled into the lineup in Ottawa & has an NHL job.

On top of that I see Silfverberg, Neil, Stone, Zibanejad, Noesen, JOB & Grant ahead of Andre on the depth chart. Yes a few of those guys play centre but they can also play RW & I don't see any room for him on LW. From your list I would take Chara (who I wanted to keep instead of Redden) & Grant. You do know that Lew Alcinder (AKA Kareem) was a basketball player right?

aragorn is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:55 PM
  #146
Alf Silfversson
Registered User
 
Alf Silfversson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Hes not wrong... GM's prefer big hockey players... see it at the draft every year
So size is the sole criteria for drafting?

Of course it is NOT.

OF COURSE if all other skills are equal, a larger player is preferable.

A combination of size and skill is what makes good hockey players.

Using only size as a tool to measure talent is a guarantee for failure in a speed oriented game, such as today's NHL.

He is wrong. As evidence he stated that the likes of Darren Kramer and Jakub Culek were going to make it hard for smaller players like Prince and Pageau to make the AHL roster this year.

Watch those four players, tell who's the biggest and then tell who the 2 best players are.


Last edited by Alf Silfversson: 01-23-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Alf Silfversson is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:56 PM
  #147
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,875
vCash: 500
The back problem was an injury that was misdiagnosed and mistreated by his SEL team that was fixed as soon as Ottawa flew him over and took a look at him.

In fact it's remarkable how well he played with his back so screwed up he was in pain skating around the rink. Tied for the WJC scoring league.

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:04 PM
  #148
Alf Silfversson
Registered User
 
Alf Silfversson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Well because he is small & takes a hit from a guy who out weights him by 40 to 60 pounds he will take much more punishment. Isn't this his 3rd sever injury since we drafted him. I remember him having a serious back problem a number of yrs ago & a leg injury maybe the knee & now a hip injury that puts him out for the yr. Cowen has had a couple of serious injuries too but he is already pencilled into the lineup in Ottawa & has an NHL job.

On top of that I see Silfverberg, Neil, Stone, Zibanejad, Noesen, JOB & Grant ahead of Andre on the depth chart. Yes a few of those guys play centre but they can also play RW & I don't see any room for him on LW. From your list I would take Chara (who I wanted to keep instead of Redden) & Grant. You do know that Lew Alcinder (AKA Kareem) was a basketball player right?
The point isn't who has had an NHL job. The point was you took a joint injury to a 5'9 player and used it to say that he's injury prone because of his size when the injury has NOTHING to do with taking hits. Your use of anecdotal evidence (selective anecdotal evidence at that) to support your obsessive contention that only big players are of any use is either a long-term troll or asinine beyond belief.

Sadly Jared Cowen has had two serious injuries. Eric Lindros was one of the biggest injury risks in NHL history. Jason Allison had to retire early due to injury. Mario Lemieux missed SEASONS due to injury problems.

Meanwhile Martin St. Louis has missed 7 games in the last 7 years.

NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT SIZE.

Alf Silfversson is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:11 PM
  #149
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberger View Post
So size is the sole criteria for drafting?

Of course it is NOT.

OF COURSE if all other skills are equal, a larger player is preferable.

A combination of size and skill is what makes good hockey players.

Using only size as a tool to measure talent is a guarantee for failure in a speed oriented game, such as today's NHL.

He is wrong. As evidence he stated that the likes of Darren Kramer and Jakub Culek were going to make it hard for smaller players like to make the AHL roster this year.

Watch those four players, tell who's the biggest and then tell who the 2 best players are.
I have never said that size alone is the most important quality for drafting or picking players but others like yourself have about me. It's always been my opinion that a combination of size & skill are important & there are some smaller players that have so much skill they belong in the NHL. It's just that there aren't a lot of them & when people compare our small players to Martin St Louis well there is only one of him. It remains to be seen if any of our small players become that good, IMO Prince & Da Costa probably have the best chance, but I'm still not sure if they make the NHL & doubt if it will be in Ottawa. I also happen to like mostly 3rd & 4th line players more.

While I like Kramer's toughness & Culek's size/skill combination I'm not sure either will make it to the NHL but I do think Culek will be in Bingo next season. As Neil ages & Kramer works on his craft in Bingo maybe he is Neil's replacement, I don't know. It's been my observation over the last number of yrs that the team's who win the Stanley Cup are usually fairly big & tough teams like Chicago, Boston, Annahiem & LA. So that's the criteria I like to use too including size down the middle & in net. And I think Ottawa is slowly getting there, they have a pretty big left side & when Zibanejad & Stone get here they will be even bigger than they are now. Add Grant & maybe DD & Gryba & they could be a pretty big tough team to play against too but who knows what will happen.

aragorn is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
  #150
General Granny*
 
General Granny*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
lol owned.

I don't even get why people even waste their time responding to his childish arguments of size.

General Granny* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.