HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Franchise Hockey Manager 2014

Old
01-21-2013, 07:57 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBadkitten View Post
Any release date been released yet? Can't wait for this. Really want to play as the 2001 Avs
Many of my plans for this game is to pick 03/04 AVS and win the Cup not lose to SJS in 2nd round

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Yes, but do you mean that you will have like KHL teams vs. NHL etc.?
Pretty much. What I have planned basically absorbs both the NHL and KHL (though I'm only going to use about half of the teams in the KHL, so I may keep the KHL around as a weaker league), while taking teams from elsewhere and creating a few (gotta have an Icelandic team coached by Gunnar Stahl, of course).

In the 66 team system I want about 36 North American teams, 10 Russian teams, and 20 teams from elsewhere. I may even make a 4th tier, but we'll see. The longer I wait for this game the more elaborate my plans become.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Montrealer

I'll be buying this for sure, even though it's tough to get on the PC lately with young ones around. Hope iFHM comes out sooner than later...

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:26 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Question regarding historical mode. Will players go to retirement like they did it in real world ? I mean, if I start with Avs in 2002/2003. for example, will Roy go to finish his carrer (after season) or I will be able to extend his contract ?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Question regarding historical mode. Will players go to retirement like they did it in real world ? I mean, if I start with Avs in 2002/2003. for example, will Roy go to finish his carrer (after season) or I will be able to extend his contract ?
Here is a quote from Jeff on the official forums:

Quote:
You can choose whether or not to retire players at the proper historical time, so he could conceivably play beyond 80-81, but even if you had it set to real-life career end dates, he can finish 80-81. No mid-season ends to careers unless the player gets a random career-ending injury.
This was in response to a question regarding Phil Esposito.

01-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Great news regarding international tournaments! Even though they are unlikely to be included in the initial release version, they are already designed and technically just need to be added.

So, that means either it's a definite yes for version 2, OR they could even add them into version 1 through an in-game update.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:28 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Great news regarding international tournaments! Even though they are unlikely to be included in the initial release version, they are already designed and technically just need to be added.

So, that means either it's a definite yes for version 2, OR they could even add them into version 1 through an in-game update.
Great news ! I hope for U18 WC as well, and Ivan Hlinka tournament which is like "unofficial" world cup U18.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:30 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Here is a quote from Jeff on the official forums:

This was in response to a question regarding Phil Esposito.
Thanks !

Old
01-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:

Most likely via update from reading that post carefully.

But ETA for release date: Sonner rather than later

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Yes, the game will apparently give us the option of adding, moving or deleting teams if we wish to do so at the beginning of each season.

So, If you're playing historical mode, you can add the correct expansion teams during the actual years they came into the league, and actual expansion drafts will take place. If you're playing modern mode, you can move Phoenix to Quebec if you wish, or just bring in new teams all together for expansion. It's up to you.

I'm PUMPED.
It is possible to change the playoff structure right, like if I want say just the top 4 teams in each conference make it I could do that and say I don't want the division winners being the top 3 I could do that?

Is it possible to make the NHL into a league without divisions and conferences?

Just wondering what happens to a team when it is deleted, are all the players gone too, or do they become free agents?

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:52 AM
REM17

Game Features of what is known so far: (compiled from the games official forum by some folks at EHM The Blueline)[/QUOTE]

I used to play EHM! Best Game Ever!!!

REM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
It is possible to change the playoff structure right, like if I want say just the top 4 teams in each conference make it I could do that and say I don't want the division winners being the top 3 I could do that?

Is it possible to make the NHL into a league without divisions and conferences?

Just wondering what happens to a team when it is deleted, are all the players gone too, or do they become free agents?
1. I'm assuming this is in there since it is in OOTP. Custom playoffs are in OOTP. In my game there I have a 12 team playoffs (2 divisions per league, the 2 division winners get a bye into the first round while the 4 playoff teams play each other).

2. Yes.

3. Free agents.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
BraveCanadian

I seriously can't wait for this time.

I've played EHM so much over the years that now I can take a bottom feeder and turn it around in no time -- even if I'm not ripping teams off in trades etc.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Was never a guy that played this game but now that I have seen some of the details, I will be intrigued to buy a copy of this when it comes out, whenever that is!

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:51 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
1. I'm assuming this is in there since it is in OOTP. Custom playoffs are in OOTP. In my game there I have a 12 team playoffs (2 divisions per league, the 2 division winners get a bye into the first round while the 4 playoff teams play each other).

2. Yes.

3. Free agents.
When a team is deleted, is it possible to do a dispersal draft for the players who were on that team?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
When a team is deleted, is it possible to do a dispersal draft for the players who were on that team?
Nope...that's a feature I've wished would be added to OOTP for years.

It's been confirmed by the developer that it's the same as OOTP in that regard.

I always liked the idea of swelling the league too big in the 90s (not that that happend in any league...) and then contracting a few teams in the 00s, but the resulting free agent frenzy just ****s everything up so I tend to just turn to capping my team amounts and result to relocation when things really bottom out.

I will be interested to see if the game has the automatic evolution. It's in OOTP but I have my doubts of it being in FHM...but it's one of those things that I've never really used in a league that I've played in OOTP (I've had it on in a couple sim leagues, and I usually get annoyed by the results). Automatic evolution is the game will automatically relocate teams if they're consistently in financial troubles, tweak the rules, change DL length, etc. It's one of those things that sounds cool in theory...but tends to result in 23 day DL lists (instead of 15...this rule means a lot in baseball and considerably less for hockey), a 27 man roster (41 man expanded), the designated hitter being adopted in the NL (no equivalent for a hockey game), players being free agent basically as soon as they make the majors, and the Chicago Cubs moving to Fargo.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-26-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Nope...that's a feature I've wished would be added to OOTP for years.

It's been confirmed by the developer that it's the same as OOTP in that regard.

I always liked the idea of swelling the league too big in the 90s (not that that happend in any league...) and then contracting a few teams in the 00s, but the resulting free agent frenzy just ****s everything up so I tend to just turn to capping my team amounts and result to relocation when things really bottom out.

I will be interested to see if the game has the automatic evolution. It's in OOTP but I have my doubts of it being in FHM...but it's one of those things that I've never really used in a league that I've played in OOTP (I've had it on in a couple sim leagues, and I usually get annoyed by the results). Automatic evolution is the game will automatically relocate teams if they're consistently in financial troubles, tweak the rules, change DL length, etc. It's one of those things that sounds cool in theory...but tends to result in 23 day DL lists (instead of 15...this rule means a lot in baseball and considerably less for hockey), a 27 man roster (41 man expanded), the designated hitter being adopted in the NL (no equivalent for a hockey game), players being free agent basically as soon as they make the majors, and the Chicago Cubs moving to Fargo.
What do you mean having more free agents screws everything up, why would it, it's just more FA's than there already are?

Is it possible to know which teams are struggling financially so you can move them?

Can you make any kind of schedule you want, like if I wanted could I have every team play each other twice home and away?

If one were to do a promotion/relegation system, since there would be no draft in that format, would the young players just be FA's that anyone could sign?

Thank you for the info so far.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
What do you mean having more free agents screws everything up, why would it, it's just more FA's than there already are?

Is it possible to know which teams are struggling financially so you can move them?

Can you make any kind of schedule you want, like if I wanted could I have every team play each other twice home and away?

If one were to do a promotion/relegation system, since there would be no draft in that format, would the young players just be FA's that anyone could sign?

Thank you for the info so far.
1. The 'haves' just end up getting richer whenever that happens. If I 'contract' the Tampa Bay Rays it's not the Pirates and Astros getting the good players, it's the Yankees and Red Sox. It just tends to widen the gap between the top and bottom of the league, where a dispersal draft would narrow it.

2. In OOTP it's possible to see team's financial reports pretty easily.

3. I'm waiting to find this out myself. Trying to make sense of the schedule editor via OOTP is basically impossible since baseball and hockey schedules are just too different. In OOTP there is an option for a balanced schedule though, so it'd be safe to assume that if you have a league of 22 teams without conferences or divisions you'd very easily be able to get each team to play each other twice at home and twice on the road simply by setting an 84 game schedule with balanced schedules on.

4. I've asked some questions about the relegation system and how youth gets handled and haven't heard a word back. This one is driving me crazy, since a free-for-all would mean I'd have absolutely no interest in using such a league for much the same reasons as #1.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:29 AM
Scouter

Quote:
1. The 'haves' just end up getting richer whenever that happens. If I 'contract' the Tampa Bay Rays it's not the Pirates and Astros getting the good players, it's the Yankees and Red Sox. It just tends to widen the gap between the top and bottom of the league, where a dispersal draft would narrow it.

2. In OOTP it's possible to see team's financial reports pretty easily.

3. I'm waiting to find this out myself. Trying to make sense of the schedule editor via OOTP is basically impossible since baseball and hockey schedules are just too different. In OOTP there is an option for a balanced schedule though, so it'd be safe to assume that if you have a league of 22 teams without conferences or divisions you'd very easily be able to get each team to play each other twice at home and twice on the road simply by setting an 84 game schedule with balanced schedules on.

4. I've asked some questions about the relegation system and how youth gets handled and haven't heard a word back. This one is driving me crazy, since a free-for-all would mean I'd have absolutely no interest in using such a league for much the same reasons as #1.
Yes, but there is the salary cap to stop them from getting them all, at least in hockey there is.

If you 'contract' a crappy team, then it won't really matter so much, like for instance I was thinking of contracting teams such as Columbus, Nashville and Phoenix, they don't really have any elite talent on their rosters, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited by Scouter: 01-27-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Something I've been wondering, for those of us looking to do a more realistic multi-GM fantasy league, how will the game handle prospect/player development? If we go with in-game development and say... MacKinnon gets taken but never pans out, yet he does in the NHL, how is that normally dealt with by those that play OOTP?

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Yes, but there is the salary cap to stop them from getting them all, at least in hockey there is.

If you 'contract' a crappy team, then it won't really matter so much, like for instance I was thinking of contracting teams such as Columbus, Nashville and Phoenix, they don't really have any elite talent on their rosters, so it wouldn't be a big deal.
Don't forget - it's not just the players on the roster that are getting released into free agency, but the prospects as well. In OOTP whenever I've done that the high-end teams scoop up all the prospects at once, and find a way to fit a contract or two in (I always play with a salary cap on).

Old
01-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Scouter

Quote:
Don't forget - it's not just the players on the roster that are getting released into free agency, but the prospects as well. In OOTP whenever I've done that the high-end teams scoop up all the prospects at once, and find a way to fit a contract or two in (I always play with a salary cap on).
Yeah, if they have crappy prospects though it won't be a problem.

I wonder why it is that the top teams get all the top players, no matter what, it's not right, you can lower the protected players list number though so each team can't have a ton of prospects.

Like in real life some players don't always want to play for the big clubs, they will also take less money to play somewhere.

I've been reading over all the game features, there are so many ways to play the game, it's amazing.

My NHL as of right now would be the same except for I will move maybe New Jersey, NY Islanders, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Florida, St. Louis, Nashville, Columbus, Colorado, Anaheim, Dallas, Phoenix, Buffalo to maybe: Toronto, (if it's possible to have 2 teams in 1 city) Hamilton, Quebec City, Hartford, Milwaukee, Portland Ore, Seattle, Salt Lake, Victoria BC, Anchorage, Halifax, San Francisco Houston, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Kansas City and San Diego.

If you haven't noticed yet, I found this to be quite the interesting feature:
Quote:
Players can be drafted in multiple leagues.
I would like to define exactly what this means, does it mean that more than one team can hold a players rights, (if so this could be a big problem) or you can make a Euro league for example have a draft like the NHL does?

Last edited by Scouter: 01-27-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 02:20 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
I would like to define exactly what this means, does it mean that more than one team can hold a players rights, (if so this could be a big problem) or you can make a Euro league for example have a draft like the NHL does?
I'd assume that's a KHL-type rule. There are a lot of things that have been added specifically because of the KHL, and that certainly seems like one (for instance Vityaz Chekhov drafted Nathan MacKinnon 114th overall last year ). Plus that also helps with a WHA situation, which the OOTP board is utterly obsessed with.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:11 AM
Scouter

Quote:
I'd assume that's a KHL-type rule. There are a lot of things that have been added specifically because of the KHL, and that certainly seems like one (for instance Vityaz Chekhov drafted Nathan MacKinnon 114th overall last year ). Plus that also helps with a WHA situation, which the OOTP board is utterly obsessed with.
That sounds like it might not be as big of a problem as I thought, but I am wondering if they have made the KHL loaded with money, that they could get some very good players and the NHL talent would be depleted, or would players always sign in the NHL 1st if they get an offer from an NHL team?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:27 AM
RO8

Quote:
I wonder why it is that the top teams get all the top players, no matter what, it's not right, you can lower the protected players list number though so each team can't have a ton of prospects.
Reputation, the Leafs will be a more renowned franchise then say the Panthers. I'm not sure about OOTP but thats how it worked in EHM.

RO8 is offline   Reply With Quote