HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 10:53 PM
HavlatMach9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
man I guess I am lucky because it's been working fantastic since the day 1 this season. 3000 kbps without any lag 95% of the time.
On what? There are so many ways to watch gamecenter that one particular experience doesn't say much.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:58 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
My beef with center Ice is some games aren't shown due to various reasons. Last year I missed several Caps games due to regional broadcast(CBC/NBC), or they think I should be paying for RDS too, and now I have to get back TSN 2 or miss about 4 games this season.Also, may have to buy all the Sportsnets as those are regional as well.

So, some games I cannot see at all because of regional and I'll have to pay at least an extra $10/month for RDS,Sportsnet East/Ontario, TSN 2 and still miss the NBC ones with Sat CBC games being streamed via a poor computer feed, despite spending the $50 for Center Ice. Usually it is $200. If I pay $200 to see the games, I should be able to see all of them on TV.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:23 PM
wayner92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartnellDown View Post
Guys is Gamecenter 720p or 1080p? I want to get another Roku for the bedroom but if it isn't in 1080p I'll get the cheaper model this time that displays 720p.
Thanks in advance for the help!?
No TV feed is in 1080p. The best you will get for TV networks is 1080i or 720p. BluRays can be 1080p but not TV.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:03 AM
BuggSuperstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
I ran into this issue on opening night. I logged on via my computer and it worked fine. Logged off the computer, went to the Apple app, signed out, signed back in again and the games were ready to go.
I tried this and it doesn't work for me. Is anyone else having this problem? I just watched the oilers game live, the broadcast ended, I go back to "games" and the oilers game is now greyed out! ugh!

here is my original post:

Half of the games are unavailable for me to watch on my Apple TV once the game is over - then they slowly start becoming available over the next 24 hours. They appeared greyed out on my screen and I can't access them. It is nothing to do with regional blackouts.

BUT - they all work fine on my computer?!?!

This is driving me nuts - does anyone know why? Thanks so much for your help because I have wasted two hours trying to source the problem!

Last edited by BuggSuperstar: 01-23-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: original post
Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 AM
tomcatNYR
Rookie User

I called Kabel Deutschland here in Germany and asked them if it's really necessary to put ESPN America behind such a super package where you have to buy 1241 other channels to go with it and pay and extra 30 euros for those channels PER MONTH - channels that I will never watch, mind you.

They gave me a lousy-ass answer along the lines of "that's our company policy. Please use the official reclamation / contact sheet on the website. Bye."

Like I said before, I have had the NFL GamePass, MLB at Bat and the NHL GameCenter and the NHL is the only league/instance that blacks out games in Europe, even though ESPN America also airs NFL and MLB games.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:34 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
On what? There are so many ways to watch gamecenter that one particular experience doesn't say much.
My laptop. Planning to use PS3 app as well once it is out.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:42 AM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Smash View Post
flyers vs devils is on NBC sports thats why blackout? does NBC sports have website to watch game?
NBC only streams the games on their national OTA channel. They do not stream games shown on the NBC Sports network cable channel.

Anything shown on either NBC or NBC Sports is considered a nationally televised game in the US and blacked-out on GCL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdawg View Post
Ya on MLB.tv only the sat fox games and Sunday night ESPN game are blacked out as well as your local market, nothing else
Correct. Only the Saturday FOX and Sunday ESPN games are exclusive national broadcasts. The weekday games on ESPN and the Sunday afternoon TBS game are not exclusive and are not nationally blacked-out on MLB.TV. But did you notice that MLB.TV does not stream those TBS and weekday ESPN feeds? For those games, they'll only offer the home and visiting team's broadcasts.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger: 01-23-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 01:46 AM
tomcatNYR
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
man I guess I am lucky because it's been working fantastic since the day 1 this season. 3000 kbps without any lag 95% of the time.
Same for me. It definitely serves its purpose as a service. I have not had one single laggy moment and I've watched 3 live games + 2 full replays up until now.

Now if they would also include the 4500 kbps, it would be great.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:20 AM
TeddyKGBUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatNYR View Post
Same for me. It definitely serves its purpose as a service. I have not had one single laggy moment and I've watched 3 live games + 2 full replays up until now.

Now if they would also include the 4500 kbps, it would be great.
I guess I have been pretty lucky too. Opening night..... Nightmare I admit. I couldn't get the xbox app working and at first I couldn't even get the website working on my laptop but since then it seems to have gotten progressively better. That said, it probably isn't peak viewing time when I am on. Being in the UK I would be watching the afternoon matches live because its evening here and most of the US and Canada will be at work. The actual evening matches I cant watch live during the week as I need to be in bed as they are starting midnight onwards my time. It might be laggy as hell at that time but I wouldn't know as I am in bed by then.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:42 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyKGBUK View Post
Being in the UK I would be watching the afternoon matches live because its evening here and most of the US and Canada will be at work.
There are no afternoon NHL games on weekdays, only at weekends and holidays (like MLK day last Monday).

Old
01-23-2013, 06:25 AM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Watching Preds/Wild on AppleTV right now. Lots of buffering issues.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:33 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Has anyone with Centre Ice through Rogers noticed that NBC games will freeze for a second then go back to normal??? Almost like a skip. I've noticed that happen with 3 games since Saturday.

Am wondering if it's because of winter storms here in southern Ontario or if it's just NBC-related video hiccups.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Faterson

Yes, confirming the buffering issues on Apple TV. But, the games are still watchable, and most importantly, all 9 games from Tuesday were made available in full-length replays pretty quickly, within 2-4 hours of completion in real time. And I love the ability to select between home & away feed! All of this, despite all the issues, is definitely worth the $50 subscription price for the season.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:43 AM
TheStranger

Last night was the first time I had next to no issues on the XBOX. I found if I went "live" on the game, it would sometimes buffer. I backed it up about 30 seconds and had no issues the rest of the night.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Yes, confirming the buffering issues on Apple TV. But, the games are still watchable, and most importantly, all 9 games from Tuesday were made available in full-length replays pretty quickly, within 2-4 hours of completion in real time. And I love the ability to select between home & away feed! All of this, despite all the issues, is definitely worth the $50 subscription price for the season.
Yep. I agree with this. Definitely worth the purchase. I just hope they buffering gets fixed as the season progresses.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:25 AM
wayner92

Last night on Xbox, or to be more exact at about 12:05am EST this morning, I went into the Xbox app. It did not include games from Tuesday, only from Monday but I was able to stream the Leafs-Sabres game that was over 24h old. There was still a live game going on, the SJS-EDM game, but that didn't exist according to Xbox, nor did the other games from Tuesday.

Has anyone seen this where the app doesn't seem to be updated for the current day?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Pourquoi pas

Quote:
Unfortunately, at least for me (for PC), they keep the blacked out games (all of them) unavailable literally for 48 hours after the game started.

But in overall, even though I argued with you before, I have to agree with you now. I was about to cancel the subscription to get a full refund, but once they made the mosaic view work and I could experience it for the first time, $50 seems like nothing. Watching 4 games at once, great quality of picture (and no freezes or buffering), home and away feeds, ability to pause the game (and continue "as live") or replay immediately the goal situation (if I catch only the goal celebration) etc.

So my only remaining concern are the blackouts. It may be bearable with 1-2 game(s) per night during the regular season, but if they indeed black out almost all of the playoff games..

Old
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
wayner92

Pourquoi pas - what country do you live in?

Why not use Unblockus to circumvent the blackouts? $5 per month isn't bad and it has other benefits, like allowing you access to whatever Netflix country you wish, ability to get TV network streaming from US or UK, etc.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Faterson

The Stealthy plugin for Chrome or Firefox is free for your purposes, Pourquoi pas, and should serve you well. You can apparently switch it off right after launching a blacked-out game. Also, being you, I'd definitely complain to GCL tech support about the blackouts and the long unavailability of full-length replays. Don't give in, and give them hell. There is no justification for those things.

As to Mosaic view... not something I'd be interested in. I have so much multi-tasking to handle at work that introducing multi-tasking even while watching hockey would probably kill me.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:56 AM
8Bing7

honestly now that i have it working on Android, PC, and Xbox i have to say its amazing. I love the Xbox interface the best so far its clean and right to the point. The app still needs a makeover big time.

The App needs to be clear with the sections on where to go to the Vault and Watch replays of games/highlights. You have to click on the final score tile or box whatever you want to call it to see the highlights and watch live games. The categories on the side suck.

But all in all as long as it keeps working like this it is well worth the money. Too bad you cant get around blackout games but i can deal with it. If you havent cancelled yet dont, give it a chance

Old
01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
Quote:
The Stealthy plugin for Chrome or Firefox is free for your purposes, Pourquoi pas, and should serve you well. You can apparently switch it off right after launching a blacked-out game. Also, being you, I'd definitely complain to GCL tech support about the blackouts and the long unavailability of full-length replays. Don't give in, and give them hell. There is no justification for those things.
I got MLB.TV last year and with how they handle their blackout games, it make the NHL Policy worse. MLB archives the games a few hours after completion, which begs the question why is there a 48 hour blackout policy on the NHL. The Blackout rules are already archaic, but what I don't get is the NHL's reluctance to negotiate something with their GCL Provider to cut down at least the 48 hour restriction. It's stupid now.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:23 AM
bradbruins

It seems as if I will never be able to watch a condensed game Tried it over and over on every possible way... but everytime I get directed to NHL Vault just to read that there are no replays available from this season.

Anyone got a suggestion?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
I got MLB.TV last year and with how they handle their blackout games, it make the NHL Policy worse. MLB archives the games a few hours after completion, which begs the question why is there a 48 hour blackout policy on the NHL. The Blackout rules are already archaic, but what I don't get is the NHL's reluctance to negotiate something with their GCL Provider to cut down at least the 48 hour restriction. It's stupid now.

I agree. it would be one thing if National games were replayed later but that rarely happens.. maybe like early morning but not two days after the game.

The non blackout games, I can watch from the beginning the minute the game is over.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
The 48 hour blackout rule is the dumbest of a whole field of dumb rules.

I miss the majority of games because I work in the evenings (and being in the Pacific Time Zone that means I'm usually starting work at the puck drop of the eastern games and missing every minute of action in a given night). So then I come home to watch my team's games and I'm not allowed to for some godforsaken reason. I don't even know what their rationale is there.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
01-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

So, when will the PS3 gamecentre be good to go? I go to ps3.com/nhl with my code and it says the feature is coming soon.

Closed Thread