HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lewis had his Mowers. Does Claude have his Bourque?

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 01:45 PM
SCBruCrew4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
You guys can lookup up all the stuff you want to. What do I care. I'm just saying he's floated around from team to team for 8 seasons and never stuck.

You want to use Daniel Paille as an example: here are his stats Daniel Paille stats from hockey db.

Their careers overlap pretty well but that's where comparables begin and end. Paille spent one full year in the minors (the missed NHL season), two years moving back and forth, and then the rest of 6.5 seasons playing as a regular NHL winger. You may want to compare Bourque to Daniel Paille, but you'd be doing a disservice to Paille. In actuality, there is no comparison.

So, in almost the same time frame:
Daniel Paille: 383 NHL games, 63 goals, 64 assists
Chri Bourque: 35 NHL games, 1 goal, 3 assists

There's your comparison. It's not that it can't happen with Bourque; it's that is hasn't.
I'm not comparing stats I'm comparing what was said about Paille once he was in the league to what you and a lot of other guys are saying about Bourque now. No one has answered me this question and I've posted it 2-3 times now.

What has Bouruqe done during 2 games and a scrimmage that has shown you (Those against CJ's decisions) that he is hurting this team? What has he done? Someone point it out to me, cause I watched all three games and thought he was a perfect fit on the wing with Pev's and Kelly.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Ryder, Pouliot, Bourque what do they all have in common?

3rd line left wing on the Bruins has to be the worst position on the team.

Threads like these always pop up on why fans hate them . . . but when they leave it reminds me of this.

No, you can't always get what you want

But if you try sometime, you just might find

You get what you need

Old
01-23-2013, 02:03 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
What has Bouruqe done during 2 games and a scrimmage that has shown you (Those against CJ's decisions) that he is hurting this team? What has he done?
I never said he's hurting the team. I'm saying he won't stick. There's hurting the team and there's helping the team. Not hurting the team is not the same thing as helping the team. He's being given his shot and no, he hasn't hurt the team I guess. But is he helping it? That's the important question, not is he hurting the team.

And regarding the question from BNHL regarding whether he was put in a position to succeed: who knows. Can't say either way. Maybe he was; maybe he wasn't. Seems a little odd that having passed through that many organizations that a couple of them wouldn't have allowed him a shot. Doesn't always work that way but usually it does.

Look, it's been 8 seasons and 5 organizations, and he's never stuck. Hope for the best...just don't bank on it.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Spoked-B

Quote:
I never said he's hurting the team. I'm saying he won't stick. There's hurting the team and there's helping the team. Not hurting the team is not the same thing as helping the team. He's being given his shot and no, he hasn't hurt the team I guess. But is he helping it? That's the important question, not is he hurting the team.

And regarding the question from BNHL regarding whether he was put in a position to succeed: who knows. Can't say either way. Maybe he was; maybe he wasn't. Seems a little odd that having passed through that many organizations that a couple of them wouldn't have allowed him a shot. Doesn't always work that way but usually it does.

Look, it's been 8 seasons and 5 organizations, and he's never stuck. Hope for the best...just don't bank on it.
Are you counting his time in the KHL/Swiss League as part of "organizations he couldn't stick with" in your 5? I'm counting 3: Capitals, Pens, and Bruins. I could be wrong, but here's how I read his travels:
  • Drafted by Washington
  • Plays for the farm team
  • Eventually called up to the bigs, does nothing in 4 games
  • Goes back to farm and produces at ppg
  • Gets another call to the bigs, does nothing in 8 games
  • Placed on waivers, picked up by the Pens
  • Plays 20 games, does nothing and gets put back on waivers
  • Picked back up by the Capitals
  • Gets 1 game, does nothing
  • Goes to KHL for 8 games, then to the Swiss League
  • Comes back to AHL
  • Gets traded to the Bruins (when it sounds like he's made it perfectly clear to the Capitals that he's not going to sign with them when he finally gets UFA status)
  • Plays 2 games with the Bruins, "does nothing"

Now, he could very well end up a AAAA player, and nothing else, but you really make it sound like this is a guy that's been bouncing from team to team, when he's basically spent his entire career with one organization, save for 20 games with Pitt and a season abroad (likely "protesting" not getting his shot).

Old
01-23-2013, 02:56 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post
Ryder, Pouliot, Bourque what do they all have in common?

3rd line left wing on the Bruins has to be the worst position on the team.

Threads like these always pop up on why fans hate them . . . but when they leave it reminds me of this.

No, you can't always get what you want

But if you try sometime, you just might find

You get what you need
Peter Schaeffer ... you may be on to something!

Old
01-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
PP (he gets on the half wall and he can move all over while somehow staying in the same area cute moves and jukes like Samsonov, buys time and still is in great position to pass and usually to the right guy like Savard)....actually he reminds me of Seguin game wise even strength- quick feet/take off and fast; Spooner does not have Seguin's shot but I'd say he sees the ice better and is a better passer. Seguin is faster but Spooner aint to shabby.

What Spooner needs is reps- more games, and more physical maturity. Seguin is stronger. Seguin 'thinks' scoring, Ryan 'thinks' passing. They (Cassidy and Sweeney) are trying to get him to shoot more. He has a really good shot which is huge bonus. Krejci likewise has a very good shot when he takes it, and Spooner falls under this as well.

to me Spooner needs maturity, game experience, and health- after probably 100 AHL games and an off season of following thru what the Bruins and Sweeney outline for him he should be playing in Boston next year on some basis, and after that should never look back

I see Seguin as a game-breaker and Boston deep at center with 4 guys 27 or under capable of top 6 time- Krejci and Bergeron now, Spooner and Koko in time. I'd keep Seguin right where he is as a home run threat on the wing- something Boston does not have and keeps defenses honest when he is out there.

As for the Bourque thread- glad you did it, sure beats lockout thought and has a lot of merit even if I somewhat disagree (but not entirely)- its a fun thread
I look forward to seeing Spooner and appreciate your insight.

I completely agree that Seguin is a game-breaker and wing is best for now at least. The guy gets a lot of praise but not nearly enough, I don't think. He's an all-star.

I'm glad you liked my thread. Too bad not many others did! lol Oh, well. I guess I knew there would be some who would question my sanity. The agenda thing was a little.....errrr... out there. lol No harm and a fun place to talk Bs!

Old
01-23-2013, 05:36 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
If it doesn't work then someone else will get a chance or maybe they will pick someone up at the deadline. Not too much worrying me about the team right now. The 2006-07 team is pretty far back there.
ryder's deal is up after this year. fire up some chick fil-A, ask timmy to return and get the band back together

Old
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
ryder's deal is up after this year. fire up some chick fil-A, ask timmy to return and get the band back together
Greatest thing I've heard all day haha

Old
01-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Johnnyduke

Isn't Bourque much more Chiarelli's than Julien's?

Old
01-24-2013, 07:38 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
Are you counting his time in the KHL/Swiss League as part of "organizations he couldn't stick with" in your 5? I'm counting 3: Capitals, Pens, and Bruins. I could be wrong...
No, looks like you're right. I think I probably counted the Caps twice; I counted Portland as a separate organization. I thought Hershey was their affiliate all along but I see now that Portland was in that era. So, three NHL organizations with one season in Pittsburgh.

Regardless, I still think my point is valid: 85 NHL games in 8 seasons, and only 3 goals.

Look, contrary to popular opinion, it's not like I'm rooting against him. I'm just tempering my expectations regarding the likelihood he sticks with the Boston Bruins, as opposed to the Providence Bruins. I don't see it happening. Given his history, I don't understand the fan-love and high expectations.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:42 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
No, looks like you're right. I think I probably counted the Caps twice; I counted Portland as a separate organization. I thought Hershey was their affiliate all along but I see now that Portland was in that era. So, three NHL organizations with one season in Pittsburgh.

Regardless, I still think my point is valid: 85 NHL games in 8 seasons, and only 3 goals.

Look, contrary to popular opinion, it's not like I'm rooting against him. I'm just tempering my expectations regarding the likelihood he sticks with the Boston Bruins, as opposed to the Providence Bruins. I don't see it happening. Given his history, I don't understand the fan-love and high expectations.
I haven`t minded his play but I`d like to see a bigger body on that third line, said it in another thread, kinda miss Poo`s size there, the one area of Bourque`s game that has me a bit concerned is his lack of board play in the offensive zone. We can all say what we want about Pouliot, but his size played a big role in puck possession along the boards last year, Bourque just isn`t capable of doing that which of course isn`t his fault but..

Old
01-24-2013, 08:26 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Thought Bourque looked great last night in a very physical game against a top team (regardless of their record). He went into trouble areas, played the body, was involved defensively, and was good on the power play. He didn't figure in to the goal, but I believe he made the pass to Krejci who set up Hamilton.

Points or no points, if he plays like that; I think he'll stick.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:35 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
Thought Bourque looked great last night in a very physical game against a top team (regardless of their record). He went into trouble areas, played the body, was involved defensively, and was good on the power play. He didn't figure in to the goal, but I believe he made the pass to Krejci who set up Hamilton.

Points or no points, if he plays like that; I think he'll stick.
My "issue" if you want to call it that isn`t that he won`t go into those area`s, it`s that when he does, physical or not, he doesn`t win those battles like a bigger body would. I don`t mind his play at all, just like a bigger body to win those grind battles

Didn`t see him after the Rupp hit/penalty, did Julien just shorten the bench and excluded him/did he get ice time and I just didn`t see him??

Old
01-24-2013, 08:46 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
My "issue" if you want to call it that isn`t that he won`t go into those area`s, it`s that when he does, physical or not, he doesn`t win those battles like a bigger body would. I don`t mind his play at all, just like a bigger body to win those grind battles

Didn`t see him after the Rupp hit/penalty, did Julien just shorten the bench and excluded him/did he get ice time and I just didn`t see him??
good question, I don't recall seeing him, or Thornton for that matter, down the stretch. I would guess that Julien just shortened the bench.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Therick67

Quote:

You mean when Bourque jumped into Rupps hands, landing them in his face?

I think Bourque has been good. I just think they need to find a better option for that spot. I'd also like to see a bigger body.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:47 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
You mean when Bourque jumped into Rupps hands, landing them in his face?

I think Bourque has been good. I just think they need to find a better option for that spot. I'd also like to see a bigger body.
Pretty weak call but I don`t recall seeing Bourque after that?

Old
01-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Pretty weak call but I don`t recall seeing Bourque after that?
I don't either. Thornton was riding the pine after not getting the puck out of his zone, leading to the 3rd Ranger goal.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:55 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I don't either. Thornton was riding the pine after not getting the puck out of his zone, leading to the 3rd Ranger goal.
He sure did and I have no issues with it at all, love Thorty and I suspect we`ll see a strong game from him tomorrow but there was that giveaway, and another on an earlier shift that didn`t lead to anything for the Rags but.....some nights, players just don`t have "it" and it looked like Thorty had one of those nights and I`d wager he`d say the same thing

Old
01-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Therick67

Quote:
He sure did and I have no issues with it at all, love Thorty and I suspect we`ll see a strong game from him tomorrow but there was that giveaway, and another on an earlier shift that didn`t lead to anything for the Rags but.....some nights, players just don`t have "it" and it looked like Thorty had one of those nights and I`d wager he`d say the same thing
Agreed. They had just tied it up and to make a weak play like that isn't something the coach should let slide.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:36 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Agreed. They had just tied it up and to make a weak play like that isn't something the coach should let slide.
and Torts shortened his bench so much that he was putting out the speed guys and as much as I love Thorty, I believe if Torts had of kept rolling all his lines, so too would have Julien and he would have seen more ice but a pure speed game, as I`m sure most of us would agree, isn`t always Thorty`s ideal game.

I said it in another thread, I don`t look at that Rags team, outside of that potent 1st line as a team with much depth. I didn`t think the loss of Anisimov and Prust would affect them as much as it appears to albeit only 3 games in.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
and Torts shortened his bench so much that he was putting out the speed guys and as much as I love Thorty, I believe if Torts had of kept rolling all his lines, so too would have Julien and he would have seen more ice but a pure speed game, as I`m sure most of us would agree, isn`t always Thorty`s ideal game.

I said it in another thread, I don`t look at that Rags team, outside of that potent 1st line as a team with much depth. I didn`t think the loss of Anisimov and Prust would affect them as much as it appears to albeit only 3 games in.
love Doc's line when both 4th lines are on the ice...."the Doberman's for each team are on the ice now".

Old
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

The 4th line has not been good the last two games after a very good 1st game. They were on the ice for 3 of the last 5 goals.

After the benching, I expect a rebound game from Thornton and his line tomorrow.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Spoked-B

Quote:

I have a feeling that it was less about a short bench and more about Julien being extremely bothered by the type of play ST made. After all, Julien has never been shy about putting out the fourth line regardless of the who is out there, the time of game, and the score. Paille and Campbell still got shifts, and while they can certainly be said to be more suited to a speed game, it has never stopped CJ from putting ST out there with them.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think the biggest thing I can see CJ having a gripe with the turnover that ST had isn't that he flubbed chipping the puck out of the zone, but that he curled away from the play, rather than follow the puck up the boards. That's a play you don't even want out of your finesse players, never mind your bruiser. As it happened, once the chip was flubbed, ST was not even in position to properly contest the puck before it got fired towards the front of the net.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:41 AM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
The 4th line has not been good the last two games after a very good 1st game. They were on the ice for 3 of the last 5 goals.

After the benching, I expect a rebound game from Thornton and his line tomorrow.
Are you phsycic!!!

Old
01-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Yea... every game I get a little more Annoyed.

Time to sign Arnott of Sykora

Closed Thread