HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIV: Rielly Cool Story Broll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
  #626
johnnyutah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
How has Stuart Percy been lately?

johnnyutah is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 11:11 AM
  #627
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,045
vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Losing 2-0 after one, Rielly and Valentine (third career game) are the only two defensemen with an even +/-
And it only got worse. Rielly ended as a -1 as MJ lost 7-0. MJ got a grand total of 13 shots that game.

Grant is online now  
Old
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
  #628
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
And it only got worse. Rielly ended as a -1 as MJ lost 7-0. MJ got a grand total of 13 shots that game.
He's not going to learn much on a dead end team, can't wait until he hits the Marlies after MJ season ends.

SteveV* is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
  #629
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware
 
Leafs at Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
And it only got worse. Rielly ended as a -1 as MJ lost 7-0. MJ got a grand total of 13 shots that game.
Oh wow , that's just brutal . Sucks for his development

Leafs at Knight is online now  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
  #630
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Oh wow , that's just brutal . Sucks for his development
Im not so sure its a bad thing for him. Sure he would have a lot more points on a better team but he already knows how to put up points.
This way he's playing tons of minutes in the defensive zone against the other teams top players. If you want him to improve his defense, this is a pretty good way at getting lots of practice at it.

VanW27 is online now  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
  #631
StuckOutHere
Registered User
 
StuckOutHere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
Im not so sure its a bad thing for him. Sure he would have a lot more points on a better team but he already knows how to put up points.
This way he's playing tons of minutes in the defensive zone against the other teams top players. If you want him to improve his defense, this is a pretty good way at getting lots of practice at it.
I agree with this. The only downside in my eyes is the fact he is part of a losing culture in Moose Jaw.

StuckOutHere is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
  #632
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware
 
Leafs at Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
Im not so sure its a bad thing for him. Sure he would have a lot more points on a better team but he already knows how to put up points.
This way he's playing tons of minutes in the defensive zone against the other teams top players. If you want him to improve his defense, this is a pretty good way at getting lots of practice at it.
True. But it could hurt his confidence if he can't get his scoring chances , and doing his thing every game .

Leafs at Knight is online now  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:21 PM
  #633
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 500
I still think it would've been best to leave him up with the leafs. I didn't see him in camp, and other then Phaneuf's praises I didn't hear much, but I see no benefit of him being on a last place team, other then being available to Eakins sooner.

Carlyle is a fine defensive coach who seems to know how to handle young players. But if I have faith in Carlyle, I guess I should have faith in his decisions.

The Naz is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
  #634
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 520
It's one game folks.. the team sucks ass. It will be better for him in junior. They either will have to get better next season or trade him to a Mem Cup contender

Stats01 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:50 PM
  #635
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 520
Edit: Sorry just came to my mind that he probably won't be in junior next season.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:50 PM
  #636
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
Fortunately, the WHL season only runs to March 17th, so he's not even going to be there for another 2 months unless MJ somehow miraculously makes the playoffs, and if that's the case, then he can stay there.

Joey Hoser is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
  #637
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I still think it would've been best to leave him up with the leafs. I didn't see him in camp, and other then Phaneuf's praises I didn't hear much, but I see no benefit of him being on a last place team, other then being available to Eakins sooner.

Carlyle is a fine defensive coach who seems to know how to handle young players. But if I have faith in Carlyle, I guess I should have faith in his decisions.
Disagree. He needs to learn to play better in his own end, better he gets a ton of ice time to work on it at the junior level rather than sheltered minutes at the NHL level. We've been down this path before. I'm not even sure he shouldnt be back in junior next year, but I suppose that will depend on how well he does at the next camp.

Dark Passenger is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:56 PM
  #638
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,363
vCash: 500
I have an interesting question to pose...

We all are following Rielly very closely. But what is the proper way to evaluate if a prospect is rising from the position they were drafted at? Specifically, how do we judge someone like Matt Finn, taken in the 2nd round, and assess how well he is developing. How does a 2nd round prospect like a Shea Weber or PK Subban go from being considered not first round quality during their draft year, to becoming a superstar prospect. How can Matt Finn do this?

Lebanese Leaf is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
  #639
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I have an interesting question to pose...

We all are following Rielly very closely. But what is the proper way to evaluate if a prospect is rising from the position they were drafted at? Specifically, how do we judge someone like Matt Finn, taken in the 2nd round, and assess how well he is developing. How does a 2nd round prospect like a Shea Weber or PK Subban go from being considered not first round quality during their draft year, to becoming a superstar prospect. How can Matt Finn do this?
First off.... Frattin was taken 100th overall, in the 4th round.

Secondly, some guys don't develop until a little later on, and some guys peak early. A lot of guys just need proper coaching, and a little fire lit under them, and the class just comes out of them.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 02:04 PM
  #640
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
First off.... Frattin was taken 100th overall, in the 4th round.

Secondly, some guys don't develop until a little later on, and some guys peak early. A lot of guys just need proper coaching, and a little fire lit under them, and the class just comes out of them.
Lol Matt Finn and Matt Frattin are two different people. Finn was taken in the 2nd round 35th overall in the 2012 entry draft.

7even is online now  
Old
01-23-2013, 02:07 PM
  #641
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Lol Matt Finn and Matt Frattin are two different people. Finn was taken in the 2nd round 35th overall in the 2012 entry draft.
lol... read that wrong.

But the same reply stands. Some kids don't bring it all together in junior, in time to be taken at the top of the draft. They have the tools to be better than their position, but the right coaching and attention to details is needed to bring it out of them.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
  #642
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,847
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I have an interesting question to pose...

We all are following Rielly very closely. But what is the proper way to evaluate if a prospect is rising from the position they were drafted at? Specifically, how do we judge someone like Matt Finn, taken in the 2nd round, and assess how well he is developing. How does a 2nd round prospect like a Shea Weber or PK Subban go from being considered not first round quality during their draft year, to becoming a superstar prospect. How can Matt Finn do this?
Good coaching and commitment. Finn already has a good toolset to be a strong smart defensive player. He just needs to acclimate his game to the NHL as well as prepare his body to become a pro. I think the AHL would be good for him because there is a lot of systems work in that league and his mind can adjust to systems he might see in the NHL. I don't necessarily know where he could end up, but good coaching, commitment to strngth and fitness and a desire to keep on improving every year will take him as far as he can go.

Atomos2 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 06:44 PM
  #643
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Good coaching and commitment. Finn already has a good toolset to be a strong smart defensive player. He just needs to acclimate his game to the NHL as well as prepare his body to become a pro. I think the AHL would be good for him because there is a lot of systems work in that league and his mind can adjust to systems he might see in the NHL. I don't necessarily know where he could end up, but good coaching, commitment to strngth and fitness and a desire to keep on improving every year will take him as far as he can go.
Yeah. I think you could see a Dan Hamhuis type of player out of Finn if his defensive game continues to develop.

KlattNazty is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:54 PM
  #644
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Fortunately, the WHL season only runs to March 17th, so he's not even going to be there for another 2 months unless MJ somehow miraculously makes the playoffs, and if that's the case, then he can stay there.
Yup.

I believe the leafs would have 19 games after that date and the Marlies have 16 games. Im not sure of the rules, but I do believe that when we call up a guy from junior we can either sign him to an ATO which lets him play for Marlies or a PTO where he can suit up just for the Leafs. If he is signed to an ATO he can only play for the Leafs on an emergency call up

leafsfuture is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 10:17 PM
  #645
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Does anyone know when behind the draft is airing?

Rockinz is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 01:49 AM
  #646
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,045
vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Does anyone know when behind the draft is airing?
I think they mentioned they are doing some final edits. Probably working in less of Burke and in more or Nonis.

Grant is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 04:26 PM
  #647
johnny_rudeboy
Registered User
 
johnny_rudeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Kassian, Stewart, Lucic among other powerforwards have entered the NHL as 19-20 year olds. Could one perhaps expect to see Biggs as soon as next season to? Physically he is probably ready right now but how is his game developing? I watched some of team USA´s games and he looked like one of their better players when they won the gold.

johnny_rudeboy is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 04:34 PM
  #648
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Yup.

I believe the leafs would have 19 games after that date and the Marlies have 16 games. Im not sure of the rules, but I do believe that when we call up a guy from junior we can either sign him to an ATO which lets him play for Marlies or a PTO where he can suit up just for the Leafs. If he is signed to an ATO he can only play for the Leafs on an emergency call up
They already signed him to an ELC. No tryout necessary. The only issue is whether or not a year gets burned off that contract.

Joey Hoser is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 04:39 PM
  #649
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Kassian, Stewart, Lucic among other powerforwards have entered the NHL as 19-20 year olds. Could one perhaps expect to see Biggs as soon as next season to? Physically he is probably ready right now but how is his game developing? I watched some of team USA´s games and he looked like one of their better players when they won the gold.


there is a slight chance if he has a good camp, but he will probably be with marlies.

mikebel111 is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 06:49 PM
  #650
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,422
vCash: 500
Feb 1st @ 7:00.

Behind the Draft

Phion Keneuf is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.