HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIV: Rielly Cool Story Broll

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
johnnyutah

vCash: 500
How has Stuart Percy been lately?

Old
01-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Losing 2-0 after one, Rielly and Valentine (third career game) are the only two defensemen with an even +/-
And it only got worse. Rielly ended as a -1 as MJ lost 7-0. MJ got a grand total of 13 shots that game.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
And it only got worse. Rielly ended as a -1 as MJ lost 7-0. MJ got a grand total of 13 shots that game.
He's not going to learn much on a dead end team, can't wait until he hits the Marlies after MJ season ends.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Oh wow , that's just brutal . Sucks for his development

Old
01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Oh wow , that's just brutal . Sucks for his development
Im not so sure its a bad thing for him. Sure he would have a lot more points on a better team but he already knows how to put up points.
This way he's playing tons of minutes in the defensive zone against the other teams top players. If you want him to improve his defense, this is a pretty good way at getting lots of practice at it.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
Im not so sure its a bad thing for him. Sure he would have a lot more points on a better team but he already knows how to put up points.
This way he's playing tons of minutes in the defensive zone against the other teams top players. If you want him to improve his defense, this is a pretty good way at getting lots of practice at it.
I agree with this. The only downside in my eyes is the fact he is part of a losing culture in Moose Jaw.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
True. But it could hurt his confidence if he can't get his scoring chances , and doing his thing every game .

Old
01-23-2013, 01:21 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

I still think it would've been best to leave him up with the leafs. I didn't see him in camp, and other then Phaneuf's praises I didn't hear much, but I see no benefit of him being on a last place team, other then being available to Eakins sooner.

Carlyle is a fine defensive coach who seems to know how to handle young players. But if I have faith in Carlyle, I guess I should have faith in his decisions.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Stats01

vCash: 520
It's one game folks.. the team sucks ass. It will be better for him in junior. They either will have to get better next season or trade him to a Mem Cup contender

Old
01-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Stats01

vCash: 520
Edit: Sorry just came to my mind that he probably won't be in junior next season.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Joey Hoser

Fortunately, the WHL season only runs to March 17th, so he's not even going to be there for another 2 months unless MJ somehow miraculously makes the playoffs, and if that's the case, then he can stay there.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I still think it would've been best to leave him up with the leafs. I didn't see him in camp, and other then Phaneuf's praises I didn't hear much, but I see no benefit of him being on a last place team, other then being available to Eakins sooner.

Carlyle is a fine defensive coach who seems to know how to handle young players. But if I have faith in Carlyle, I guess I should have faith in his decisions.
Disagree. He needs to learn to play better in his own end, better he gets a ton of ice time to work on it at the junior level rather than sheltered minutes at the NHL level. We've been down this path before. I'm not even sure he shouldnt be back in junior next year, but I suppose that will depend on how well he does at the next camp.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Lebanese Leaf

I have an interesting question to pose...

We all are following Rielly very closely. But what is the proper way to evaluate if a prospect is rising from the position they were drafted at? Specifically, how do we judge someone like Matt Finn, taken in the 2nd round, and assess how well he is developing. How does a 2nd round prospect like a Shea Weber or PK Subban go from being considered not first round quality during their draft year, to becoming a superstar prospect. How can Matt Finn do this?

Old
01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post

We all are following Rielly very closely. But what is the proper way to evaluate if a prospect is rising from the position they were drafted at? Specifically, how do we judge someone like Matt Finn, taken in the 2nd round, and assess how well he is developing. How does a 2nd round prospect like a Shea Weber or PK Subban go from being considered not first round quality during their draft year, to becoming a superstar prospect. How can Matt Finn do this?
First off.... Frattin was taken 100th overall, in the 4th round.

Secondly, some guys don't develop until a little later on, and some guys peak early. A lot of guys just need proper coaching, and a little fire lit under them, and the class just comes out of them.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:04 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
First off.... Frattin was taken 100th overall, in the 4th round.

Secondly, some guys don't develop until a little later on, and some guys peak early. A lot of guys just need proper coaching, and a little fire lit under them, and the class just comes out of them.
Lol Matt Finn and Matt Frattin are two different people. Finn was taken in the 2nd round 35th overall in the 2012 entry draft.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:07 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Lol Matt Finn and Matt Frattin are two different people. Finn was taken in the 2nd round 35th overall in the 2012 entry draft.
lol... read that wrong.

But the same reply stands. Some kids don't bring it all together in junior, in time to be taken at the top of the draft. They have the tools to be better than their position, but the right coaching and attention to details is needed to bring it out of them.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post

Good coaching and commitment. Finn already has a good toolset to be a strong smart defensive player. He just needs to acclimate his game to the NHL as well as prepare his body to become a pro. I think the AHL would be good for him because there is a lot of systems work in that league and his mind can adjust to systems he might see in the NHL. I don't necessarily know where he could end up, but good coaching, commitment to strngth and fitness and a desire to keep on improving every year will take him as far as he can go.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:44 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Good coaching and commitment. Finn already has a good toolset to be a strong smart defensive player. He just needs to acclimate his game to the NHL as well as prepare his body to become a pro. I think the AHL would be good for him because there is a lot of systems work in that league and his mind can adjust to systems he might see in the NHL. I don't necessarily know where he could end up, but good coaching, commitment to strngth and fitness and a desire to keep on improving every year will take him as far as he can go.
Yeah. I think you could see a Dan Hamhuis type of player out of Finn if his defensive game continues to develop.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:54 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Fortunately, the WHL season only runs to March 17th, so he's not even going to be there for another 2 months unless MJ somehow miraculously makes the playoffs, and if that's the case, then he can stay there.
Yup.

I believe the leafs would have 19 games after that date and the Marlies have 16 games. Im not sure of the rules, but I do believe that when we call up a guy from junior we can either sign him to an ATO which lets him play for Marlies or a PTO where he can suit up just for the Leafs. If he is signed to an ATO he can only play for the Leafs on an emergency call up

Old
01-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Does anyone know when behind the draft is airing?

Old
01-24-2013, 01:49 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Does anyone know when behind the draft is airing?
I think they mentioned they are doing some final edits. Probably working in less of Burke and in more or Nonis.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:26 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Kassian, Stewart, Lucic among other powerforwards have entered the NHL as 19-20 year olds. Could one perhaps expect to see Biggs as soon as next season to? Physically he is probably ready right now but how is his game developing? I watched some of team USA´s games and he looked like one of their better players when they won the gold.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Yup.

I believe the leafs would have 19 games after that date and the Marlies have 16 games. Im not sure of the rules, but I do believe that when we call up a guy from junior we can either sign him to an ATO which lets him play for Marlies or a PTO where he can suit up just for the Leafs. If he is signed to an ATO he can only play for the Leafs on an emergency call up
They already signed him to an ELC. No tryout necessary. The only issue is whether or not a year gets burned off that contract.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:39 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Kassian, Stewart, Lucic among other powerforwards have entered the NHL as 19-20 year olds. Could one perhaps expect to see Biggs as soon as next season to? Physically he is probably ready right now but how is his game developing? I watched some of team USA´s games and he looked like one of their better players when they won the gold.

there is a slight chance if he has a good camp, but he will probably be with marlies.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Feb 1st @ 7:00.

Behind the Draft

Closed Thread