HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If We Trade for a Winger for Sid, Who do We Part With?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
  #76
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
Do you think a trade like this is possible:

Jaden Schwartz for Joe Morrow + Dumoulin/Harrington? Schwartz looks like a beast. Blues don't have very highly touted defensive prospects and Morrow could turn out to be the partner Pietriangelo needs. Or is this far-fetched?
To say nothing of the value, I wouldn't do much if I were the Blues. They're about as good as anyone in the league I think. Maybe trade for a cheap depth guy that's won the Cup before but I don't think I'd go swapping young players, especially for ones that aren't ready to play.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
  #77
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,779
vCash: 450
Neidereitter has asked for a trade. What do we give up for him?

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:34 AM
  #78
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Neidereitter has asked for a trade. What do we give up for him?
I'm put off that he's asked for a trade. 20 year olds on ELCs shouldn't dictate terms with their teams. TSN just reported that GMGS was "taken aback" by Nino's "request" and doesn't intend to trade him. I think they see him sliding into their top 6 very nicely in the next coulpe of seasons and don't anticipate them parting with him for anything but an overpayment.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
  #79
Alklha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,432
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
Do you think a trade like this is possible:

Jaden Schwartz for Joe Morrow + Dumoulin/Harrington? Schwartz looks like a beast. Blues don't have very highly touted defensive prospects and Morrow could turn out to be the partner Pietriangelo needs. Or is this far-fetched?
Almost certainly not of much interest to the Blues. Schwartz has made the team, pushing D'Agostini to a healthy scratch and the ELC certainly helps us financially. We have Cole, who is doing a decent job so far with Pietrangelo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I'm put off that he's asked for a trade. 20 year olds on ELCs shouldn't dictate terms with their teams. TSN just reported that GMGS was "taken aback" by Nino's "request" and doesn't intend to trade him. I think they see him sliding into their top 6 very nicely in the next coulpe of seasons and don't anticipate them parting with him for anything but an overpayment.
I wouldn't put too much judgement on the kid yet. The Islanders completely messed up by not inviting a few players along for the training week just to have a look at them. The kid feels he has something to prove after last season, has done well this season and they didn't even want to take the time to have a look at him with the rest of the NHL roster before the start of the season? Sounds petty, but I think that is the bigger issue than the fact he is still in the AHL.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
  #80
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Almost certainly not of much interest to the Blues. Schwartz has made the team, pushing D'Agostini to a healthy scratch and the ELC certainly helps us financially. We have Cole, who is doing a decent job so far with Pietrangelo.



I wouldn't put too much judgement on the kid yet. The Islanders completely messed up by not inviting a few players along for the training week just to have a look at them. The kid feels he has something to prove after last season, has done well this season and they didn't even want to take the time to have a look at him with the rest of the NHL roster before the start of the season? Sounds petty, but I think that is the bigger issue than the fact he is still in the AHL.
I wouldn't argue for a second that the Islanders are even a semi-competent organization. They're mishandling Nino terribly and it's not the first time they've *****ed up a prospect. With that said, there is sort of an unspoken rule in the NHL about paying your dues. Violating those rules can brand you as a person with an attitude problem, which is a very hard reputation to shake. The conventional time for this kid to voice his displeasure is - at the earliest - when his ELC expires.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:13 PM
  #81
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,484
vCash: 500
Yah but if there's really no attitude problem / instead the fear he won't get a shot (or maybe his agent put him up to it), how great would it be to have that kid in our talent pool come September? I doubt though, that the Penguins and Islanders will involve themselves in any kind of trade, anytime soon.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:23 PM
  #82
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Yah but if there's really no attitude problem / instead the fear he won't get a shot (or maybe his agent put him up to it), how great would it be to have that kid in our talent pool come September? I doubt though, that the Penguins and Islanders will involve themselves in any kind of trade, anytime soon.
I'm not saying I wouldn't want him, and I agree with you that it's very unlikely.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
  #83
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,796
vCash: 500
Nino seems like he could be in the Rico Fata mold. Great skating propels him to elite draft status, translates to fringe NHLer. I'll pass, mostly because they'll want a 1st +++ just for where they picked him.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:35 PM
  #84
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,779
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I'm put off that he's asked for a trade. 20 year olds on ELCs shouldn't dictate terms with their teams. TSN just reported that GMGS was "taken aback" by Nino's "request" and doesn't intend to trade him. I think they see him sliding into their top 6 very nicely in the next coulpe of seasons and don't anticipate them parting with him for anything but an overpayment.
They didn't even invite the kid to training camp.

No wonder he has "attitude issues" or whatever. He's probably just legitimately annoyed with the Islanders.

I don't know if he's NHL ready just yet, but on a team like the Islanders he should of at least been given a chance to play a few games and prove people wrong.

I'd give Maata for him.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
  #85
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
They didn't even invite the kid to training camp.

No wonder he has "attitude issues" or whatever. He's probably just legitimately annoyed with the Islanders.

I don't know if he's NHL ready just yet, but on a team like the Islanders he should of at least been given a chance to play a few games and prove people wrong.

I'd give Maata for him.
Perhaps you haven't followed the situation. They played him extensively (I think 50+ games) last season and he floundered, so it's not as though he hasn't been "given a chance." The consensus seems to be that he was rushed and the the Islanders have handled his development extremely poorly. I'm inclined to believe that. Nonetheless, I don't like a guy on an ELC demanding a trade.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:54 PM
  #86
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,845
vCash: 500
I am not saying to trade for him.

But Neal was said to have an 'attitude problem' and would not sign with Dallas. Then he came here and signed a very reasonable long term contract, no muss no fuss. Now they seem to be having the same 'attitude problem' thing with Benn.

Sometimes the attitude problem is not with the player but the team.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:20 PM
  #87
Alklha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,432
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Perhaps you haven't followed the situation. They played him extensively (I think 50+ games) last season and he floundered, so it's not as though he hasn't been "given a chance." The consensus seems to be that he was rushed and the the Islanders have handled his development extremely poorly. I'm inclined to believe that. Nonetheless, I don't like a guy on an ELC demanding a trade.
About last season... Snow made it clear he would be in the NHL all year, the plan was to be on Tavares' wing. That went pear-shaped when he got injured, on his return to fitness he had to sit out for weeks before eventually being dumped on the 4th line. That is not being "given a chance", that is being set up to fail. In the right situation I don't think there would have been an issue with him being in the NHL last season.

I totally agree with your general opinion players on ELC's demanding trades, but there are exceptions to these things. I don't know how realistic it would be for them to consider dealing him within the Division, but he seems like the perfect fit for your team (big, physical, shoot-first winger).

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:26 PM
  #88
Sideline
Registered User
 
Sideline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
About last season... Snow made it clear he would be in the NHL all year, the plan was to be on Tavares' wing. That went pear-shaped when he got injured, on his return to fitness he had to sit out for weeks before eventually being dumped on the 4th line. That is not being "given a chance", that is being set up to fail. In the right situation I don't think there would have been an issue with him being in the NHL last season.

I totally agree with your general opinion players on ELC's demanding trades, but there are exceptions to these things. I don't know how realistic it would be for them to consider dealing him within the Division, but he seems like the perfect fit for your team (big, physical, shoot-first winger).
This is my read on it as well. I'm a big Nino fan. If Maatta and pick gets it done I make that trade yesterday.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:33 PM
  #89
Whale Mingo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I wouldn't argue for a second that the Islanders are even a semi-competent organization. They're mishandling Nino terribly and it's not the first time they've *****ed up a prospect. With that said, there is sort of an unspoken rule in the NHL about paying your dues. Violating those rules can brand you as a person with an attitude problem, which is a very hard reputation to shake. The conventional time for this kid to voice his displeasure is - at the earliest - when his ELC expires.
The absolute vast majority of the time I would agree with 100% of this, however, this just may be one of those times that the Islanders organization is simply dropping the ball. It clearly wouldn't be the first time.

We will probably only know what the media wants us to, but for whatever reason I'm inclined to give this kid a pass (unfortunately my opinion means squat for the guy).

However unlikely, I wouldn't mind seeing him in black and gold.

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
  #90
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Mingo View Post
The absolute vast majority of the time I would agree with 100% of this, however, this just may be one of those times that the Islanders organization is simply dropping the ball. It clearly wouldn't be the first time.

We will probably only know what the media wants us to, but for whatever reason I'm inclined to give this kid a pass (unfortunately my opinion means squat for the guy).

However unlikely, I wouldn't mind seeing him in black and gold.
Fair enough.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:17 PM
  #91
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!
 
philer Bozel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
Just a question would pits fan want a winger like Keseel? I'm not posting any trade proposals or demanding Malkin for Kessel straight up. But I'm just wondering if you guys would want a speedy sniper type player. Or a more power forward type player like Kane.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
  #92
theicebox
#MonixWatch
 
theicebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
Just a question would pits fan want a winger like Keseel? I'm not posting any trade proposals or demanding Malkin for Kessel straight up. But I'm just wondering if you guys would want a speedy sniper type player. Or a more power forward type player like Kane.
No, but Seguin + Hamilton + 1st rounder (+) would help start the conversation.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:44 PM
  #93
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!
 
philer Bozel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
No, but Seguin + Hamilton + 1st rounder (+) would help start the conversation.
Lol what? I can't tell if this is friendly joking or some sort of attack :p. Hamilton + a 1st aren't even wingers..... I just asked if the pens want a more offensive player or a more power player for the wing. It's a simple question I would think.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:47 PM
  #94
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
Penguins aren't so much looking for star wingers as complimentary wingers that can support Sid and Geno. they really aren't in the market for a Phill the Thrill. Kuelmin and maybe MacArthur on the other hand are a different story.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:41 PM
  #95
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
Lol what? I can't tell if this is friendly joking or some sort of attack :p. Hamilton + a 1st aren't even wingers..... I just asked if the pens want a more offensive player or a more power player for the wing. It's a simple question I would think.
I can assure you that it's friendly joking.

To answer your question, if the Leafs decided to move Kessel, then I could see the Pens being interested. Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel would have a nice ring. Problem is, I don't see Shero moving, outside of Crosby and Malkin, Neal, Sutter, Kunitz, Letang, or Orpik to get him.

So, with those guys off the table, what type of package works? Bennett? One of the defensive prospects outside of Morrow?

Unless the Leafs are out and Nonis is trying to clear cap space to say take a run at both Getzlaf and Perry, I don't see us as good partners for Kessel?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:21 AM
  #96
sdbullet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
How about a trade based around:

Mason Raymond

for

Matt Niskanen

Both players have a similar salary cap hits, Raymond is a UFA after this year, Niskanen after next and the Pens would be dealing from an area of strength.

sdbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:42 AM
  #97
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbullet View Post
How about a trade based around:

Mason Raymond

for

Matt Niskanen

Both players have a similar salary cap hits, Raymond is a UFA after this year, Niskanen after next and the Pens would be dealing from an area of strength.
Canucks fans may entertain this one. Raymond has seemingly fallen out of favor there since his back injury and the decline in his production that followed. With that said, with Kes and Booth out, the Canucks need every ounce of top 6 help they can get and may not like the idea of parting with Raymond at this time. Value-wise, I think this is close to a fair deal but truth be told I wouldn't do it as a Pens fan because I think Niskanen is a fantastic low cost option to pair up with Letang in the long term. Just my $0.02.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
  #98
sdbullet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
I was just considering your depth situation at Defence vs Offense, and I thought Niskanen was the only guy who looked somewhat redundant with Despres, Morrow, Pouliot, and Demuolin in the ranks.

Kesler and Booth are expected to be back in the lineup within the next two weeks, so that is the time-frame I was expecting this trade to potentially take place.

I couldn't agree with you more about Raymond looking like a poor option last year, but this year with a full offseason of conditioning rather than rest and rehab, he looks more like old self and is creating more offense and causing defenceman fits with his speed while still maintaining and excellent defensive game. I have not seen much of Niskanen to this point so far, but was considering all factors, age, UFA status, team depth, etc when I made the proposal.

sdbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
  #99
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk
 
M0NTY26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,374
vCash: 500
So, Shero is trading Lovejoy to make room for Eaton.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:52 AM
  #100
deakka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
So, Shero is trading Lovejoy to make room for Eaton.
Doubt hes drowning in calls if hes trying to move Lovejoy. Dont really care if its Lovejoy or Eaton as no.7/8 defenseman tbh. If we can get something for lovejoy and Eaton for free i guess im ok with that.

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.