HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Tyler Benson - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2016 Draft)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-23-2012, 11:02 PM
  #101
HopefulCoach
Registered User
 
HopefulCoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
That was Sherwood Park (Sam Steel's team), they are an average team.
Id say above average on a normal day. They were missing six of their starting line up during this game:

http://ambhl.ab.ca/scoresheet.php?sc...18&season_id=8


Thats tough for any team to look good in when they are playing three players short (had three affiliates from bantam AA up)

For comparison, The second leading scorer in the league, Sam Steel, is #9 for Sherwood Park. He is quite a special player himself and in that video you see him check Benson quite often (aka Sherwood Park coach had him out against him) and Benson moves by him with ease.

Also for comparison for those saying Benson wouldnt do well in Minor Midget AAA, Sam Steel played one game up with Sherwood Parks MMAAA team and had three points and was the best player on the team for that game.

Just some food for thought from someone that has seen 30+ games each of the AMBHL, ERBHL, AMMHL.

HopefulCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:29 PM
  #102
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Is White still a top prospect? I remember him having hype on here a while back.
SSAC with Benson did not win the Med Hat tourney?

I believe this was won by White and the BWC.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:37 AM
  #103
OILERsKEPTIC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
8 more points last night. 42G 66A for 108 points in 23 games. I can't wait to see live.

OILERsKEPTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:54 AM
  #104
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERsKEPTIC View Post
8 more points last night. 42G 66A for 108 points in 23 games. I can't wait to see live.
Excellent, can we get him on the junior team next year! We are going to need him, as Canada's 2014 team doesn't look especially strong.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:33 AM
  #105
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Excellent, can we get him on the junior team next year! We are going to need him, as Canada's 2014 team doesn't look especially strong.
So now that Hockey Canada didn't cheap out on players in this past WJC (according to you, they didn't want to pay the insurance) and they brought not one but two 95's, you have to come up with another ridiculous thing to complain about?

You do realize you're proposing that a 98 play in a tournament filled with 94's and 95's, right?
That's a triple underager.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:21 PM
  #106
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulCoach View Post
Id say above average on a normal day. They were missing six of their starting line up during this game:

http://ambhl.ab.ca/scoresheet.php?sc...18&season_id=8


Thats tough for any team to look good in when they are playing three players short (had three affiliates from bantam AA up)

For comparison, The second leading scorer in the league, Sam Steel, is #9 for Sherwood Park. He is quite a special player himself and in that video you see him check Benson quite often (aka Sherwood Park coach had him out against him) and Benson moves by him with ease.

Also for comparison for those saying Benson wouldnt do well in Minor Midget AAA, Sam Steel played one game up with Sherwood Parks MMAAA team and had three points and was the best player on the team for that game.

Just some food for thought from someone that has seen 30+ games each of the AMBHL, ERBHL, AMMHL.
Benson would be the best player on south sides REM15 AAA team. It's a team comprised of players he played with in Bantam AAA last year and players from Bantam AA, whom he was better than.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:06 PM
  #107
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
So now that Hockey Canada didn't cheap out on players in this past WJC (according to you, they didn't want to pay the insurance) and they brought not one but two 95's, you have to come up with another ridiculous thing to complain about?

You do realize you're proposing that a 98 play in a tournament filled with 94's and 95's, right?
That's a triple underager.
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. If he wasn't.....yikes.

I'm more interested to see how he looks in the All-Canadian game against the likes of Sean Day and Adam Mascherin.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:25 PM
  #108
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERsKEPTIC View Post
8 more points last night. 42G 66A for 108 points in 23 games. I can't wait to see live.
Another 7pt game........43g's 72a's for 115pts...buuuuuuuuuuuuuut second in the league in goals!

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:08 PM
  #109
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. If he wasn't.....yikes.

I'm more interested to see how he looks in the All-Canadian game against the likes of Sean Day and Adam Mascherin.
Well if he is, he's certainly consistent with it.
He was suggesting that Barzal and McDavid get invites this past summer..

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:16 AM
  #110
youppi2
Registered User
 
youppi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tanggu, China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. If he wasn't.....yikes.

I'm more interested to see how he looks in the All-Canadian game against the likes of Sean Day and Adam Mascherin.
He's played in spring against these guys and he's not on their level. The Alberta league is lacking depth and he kills bad teams, inflating stats. I have seen these players many times, he might be a notch lower than Mascherin but not even in the same area code as Day.

I have seen both players on numerous occasions, I have been involved with 98's both in Southern Ontario and in Edmonton. I have seen Sean Day play around 15 times over the years and I have seen Tyler Benson play about 10 times, including watching both players in the same spring hockey tournament.

There really isn't any comparison between the two players,this is not in any way a negative comment regarding Benson,but Sean Day is a generational talent, was unbelievable in Novice hockey and just as dominant against Minor Midgets as a Bantam aged. As most have commented, he doesn't look as if he's even trying.

My opinion of Benson is that he is very, very good, close to the same level as some of the best players in Ontario, like Mete, Macleod, Mascerin. But not close to Day.

Benson's numbers can't be taken at face falue, I will provide the grain of salt.

The Alberta Bantam AAA loop has some great high end players, Benson, Steel, Quenneville, Clague, etc, as good as the top players in any loop, but there is little depth in the league.Some of the lower end teams like Camrose, Okotoks etc. would be destroyed by a top end GTHL Minor Bantam AA team. The bottom 5 players on nearly every roster couldn't play Major Bantam AA in Ontario.

The 98's and 99's in Alberta are unsually lacking depth compared to most years. If you look at the scoring leaders you will see that 20 players this year are averaging 2+ points per game. In the previous three seasons, only 6-8 players averaged 2 points per game. This is very indicitive of a high scoring loop where you can run up the scores and pile up points. It surely skews Benson's stats when he scores 11 points against a team that shouldn't even be in the league.

Benson is very, very good against kids a year younger and much weaker. Day is outstanding against kids a year older. I am sure they will both be very successful in their future hockey careers.


Last edited by youppi2: 01-07-2013 at 12:22 AM.
youppi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:51 AM
  #111
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youppi2 View Post
He's played in spring against these guys and he's not on their level. The Alberta league is lacking depth and he kills bad teams, inflating stats. I have seen these players many times, he might be a notch lower than Mascherin but not even in the same area code as Day.

I have seen both players on numerous occasions, I have been involved with 98's both in Southern Ontario and in Edmonton. I have seen Sean Day play around 15 times over the years and I have seen Tyler Benson play about 10 times, including watching both players in the same spring hockey tournament.

There really isn't any comparison between the two players,this is not in any way a negative comment regarding Benson,but Sean Day is a generational talent, was unbelievable in Novice hockey and just as dominant against Minor Midgets as a Bantam aged. As most have commented, he doesn't look as if he's even trying.

My opinion of Benson is that he is very, very good, close to the same level as some of the best players in Ontario, like Mete, Macleod, Mascerin. But not close to Day.

Benson's numbers can't be taken at face falue, I will provide the grain of salt.

The Alberta Bantam AAA loop has some great high end players, Benson, Steel, Quenneville, Clague, etc, as good as the top players in any loop, but there is little depth in the league.Some of the lower end teams like Camrose, Okotoks etc. would be destroyed by a top end GTHL Minor Bantam AA team. The bottom 5 players on nearly every roster couldn't play Major Bantam AA in Ontario.

The 98's and 99's in Alberta are unsually lacking depth compared to most years. If you look at the scoring leaders you will see that 20 players this year are averaging 2+ points per game. In the previous three seasons, only 6-8 players averaged 2 points per game. This is very indicitive of a high scoring loop where you can run up the scores and pile up points. It surely skews Benson's stats when he scores 11 points against a team that shouldn't even be in the league.

Benson is very, very good against kids a year younger and much weaker. Day is outstanding against kids a year older. I am sure they will both be very successful in their future hockey careers.
I can vouch for this. My Bantam AA SSAC team six years ago beat the Okotoks bantam AAA team. Some teams in the AMBHL are very weak.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:10 AM
  #112
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
So now that Hockey Canada didn't cheap out on players in this past WJC (according to you, they didn't want to pay the insurance) and they brought not one but two 95's, you have to come up with another ridiculous thing to complain about?

You do realize you're proposing that a 98 play in a tournament filled with 94's and 95's, right?
That's a triple underager.
relax dude, Garyboy had it right... it's called sarcasm...google it sometime.

And yes, I'm not so impressed with next year's potential lineup. And if you want to be a defender for all things Hockey Canada does, then by all means have at it. I don't begrudge you your right... if I'm a little too critical of Hockey Canada, then it is my right to do so... if you don't like it, pose a counter argument and we can discuss it or, just ignore it.

And I never suggested Barzal get an invite (at least not that I can recall) I highly doubt I would suggest a 15 year old player who hasn't played a game of junior hockey to get an invite to the U20 team. I'm big on McDavid yes, and I felt an invite wouldn't be out of the question on for him to experience the camp. As it turned out Hockey Canada held a joke of a selection camp anyway with the locks snoozing in the press box...any impartial observer can plainly see that Hockey Canada got everything wrong this year.


Last edited by Mr Writer: 01-07-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:59 AM
  #113
Orange Thunder
Registered User
 
Orange Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,721
vCash: 500
I like how every time I open this thread he's had a 7 point game

Orange Thunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:47 PM
  #114
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youppi2 View Post
He's played in spring against these guys and he's not on their level. The Alberta league is lacking depth and he kills bad teams, inflating stats. I have seen these players many times, he might be a notch lower than Mascherin but not even in the same area code as Day.

I have seen both players on numerous occasions, I have been involved with 98's both in Southern Ontario and in Edmonton. I have seen Sean Day play around 15 times over the years and I have seen Tyler Benson play about 10 times, including watching both players in the same spring hockey tournament.

There really isn't any comparison between the two players,this is not in any way a negative comment regarding Benson,but Sean Day is a generational talent, was unbelievable in Novice hockey and just as dominant against Minor Midgets as a Bantam aged. As most have commented, he doesn't look as if he's even trying.

My opinion of Benson is that he is very, very good, close to the same level as some of the best players in Ontario, like Mete, Macleod, Mascerin. But not close to Day.

Benson's numbers can't be taken at face falue, I will provide the grain of salt.

The Alberta Bantam AAA loop has some great high end players, Benson, Steel, Quenneville, Clague, etc, as good as the top players in any loop, but there is little depth in the league.Some of the lower end teams like Camrose, Okotoks etc. would be destroyed by a top end GTHL Minor Bantam AA team. The bottom 5 players on nearly every roster couldn't play Major Bantam AA in Ontario.

The 98's and 99's in Alberta are unsually lacking depth compared to most years. If you look at the scoring leaders you will see that 20 players this year are averaging 2+ points per game. In the previous three seasons, only 6-8 players averaged 2 points per game. This is very indicitive of a high scoring loop where you can run up the scores and pile up points. It surely skews Benson's stats when he scores 11 points against a team that shouldn't even be in the league.

Benson is very, very good against kids a year younger and much weaker. Day is outstanding against kids a year older. I am sure they will both be very successful in their future hockey careers.
Relax, some very good players have come out of Alberta and played in the same league. Right now Benson is destroying the pts record and is getting some attention, from more ppl than just this board of nobody's.

Note, Benson was very, very good against players a year older last year in this league. Close to the top of the scoring race. This year it isnt even close, as expected right?

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:04 AM
  #115
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReleaseTheLehner View Post
I like how every time I open this thread he's had a 7 point game
some food for thought;

Benson currently sits at 199 pts over his 1.5 seasons in the AMBHL.

No player in history to my knowledge has put up 200 pts over 2 seasons.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
  #116
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,212
vCash: 500
Another article on Tyler with some scouts opinions.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/20...e-this-weekend

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
  #117
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Thanks a lot for the incredibly informed opinion, Youppi2. The hockey looked very weak (for Bantam AAA) in that Benson youtube video that was posted, thus my reservations. Mascherin looks better, but I'm only basing it on one youtube video, which isn't very practical, and we all know Day is on an entirely different level.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
  #118
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,212
vCash: 500
http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/vide...#stories/video

Another Benson video. Best part I am in the background at 1:45 hahah.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:09 PM
  #119
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/vide...#stories/video

Another Benson video. Best part I am in the background at 1:45 hahah.
You looked great =).

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
  #120
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Leads the John Reid Memorial Tournament in scoring - 5GP 8-10-18.

He may light up the AMBHL, but he does well in tournaments too.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:07 AM
  #121
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Leads the John Reid Memorial Tournament in scoring - 5GP 8-10-18.

He may light up the AMBHL, but he does well in tournaments too.
Arguably the top bantam tournament in Western Canada from September to April....Benson leads the tournament in scoring for second year in a row, also did it as an underage. His club loses final in OT to a strong team from the NSWC.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:14 PM
  #122
topchowda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,089
vCash: 500
Heres a list of scoring records at the tourny for comparison

Toews just dominated

Notables:
Brule
Eakin
Reilly
Koekkoek
Shinkaruk
Gormley
Eberle
Schwartz

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
  #123
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Heres a list of scoring records at the tourny for comparison

Toews just dominated

Notables:
Brule
Eakin
Reilly
Koekkoek
Shinkaruk
Gormley
Eberle
Schwartz
Doesnt include stats from the last few years, I believe Benson had 21 pts last year to lead the tourney as a first year.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
  #124
BigD66
Registered User
 
BigD66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Doesnt include stats from the last few years, I believe Benson had 21 pts last year to lead the tourney as a first year.
He did

http://fscs.rampinteractive.com/john...stats_2012.pdf

BigD66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:17 PM
  #125
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
What's interesting to me looking at the 2012 stats is how well the top 98s did. Benson, Steel, Clague and Quenneville were pretty much on par, stat wise, with the top 97 performers.

Would be nice to be able to see the 2013 stats.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.