HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Tyler Benson - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2016 Draft)

Old
12-23-2012, 11:02 PM
HopefulCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
That was Sherwood Park (Sam Steel's team), they are an average team.
Id say above average on a normal day. They were missing six of their starting line up during this game:

http://ambhl.ab.ca/scoresheet.php?sc...18&season_id=8

Thats tough for any team to look good in when they are playing three players short (had three affiliates from bantam AA up)

For comparison, The second leading scorer in the league, Sam Steel, is #9 for Sherwood Park. He is quite a special player himself and in that video you see him check Benson quite often (aka Sherwood Park coach had him out against him) and Benson moves by him with ease.

Also for comparison for those saying Benson wouldnt do well in Minor Midget AAA, Sam Steel played one game up with Sherwood Parks MMAAA team and had three points and was the best player on the team for that game.

Just some food for thought from someone that has seen 30+ games each of the AMBHL, ERBHL, AMMHL.

HopefulCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:29 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Is White still a top prospect? I remember him having hype on here a while back.
SSAC with Benson did not win the Med Hat tourney?

I believe this was won by White and the BWC.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:37 AM
OILERsKEPTIC

8 more points last night. 42G 66A for 108 points in 23 games. I can't wait to see live.

OILERsKEPTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERsKEPTIC View Post
8 more points last night. 42G 66A for 108 points in 23 games. I can't wait to see live.
Excellent, can we get him on the junior team next year! We are going to need him, as Canada's 2014 team doesn't look especially strong.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:33 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Excellent, can we get him on the junior team next year! We are going to need him, as Canada's 2014 team doesn't look especially strong.
So now that Hockey Canada didn't cheap out on players in this past WJC (according to you, they didn't want to pay the insurance) and they brought not one but two 95's, you have to come up with another ridiculous thing to complain about?

You do realize you're proposing that a 98 play in a tournament filled with 94's and 95's, right?
That's a triple underager.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulCoach View Post
Id say above average on a normal day. They were missing six of their starting line up during this game:

http://ambhl.ab.ca/scoresheet.php?sc...18&season_id=8

Thats tough for any team to look good in when they are playing three players short (had three affiliates from bantam AA up)

For comparison, The second leading scorer in the league, Sam Steel, is #9 for Sherwood Park. He is quite a special player himself and in that video you see him check Benson quite often (aka Sherwood Park coach had him out against him) and Benson moves by him with ease.

Also for comparison for those saying Benson wouldnt do well in Minor Midget AAA, Sam Steel played one game up with Sherwood Parks MMAAA team and had three points and was the best player on the team for that game.

Just some food for thought from someone that has seen 30+ games each of the AMBHL, ERBHL, AMMHL.
Benson would be the best player on south sides REM15 AAA team. It's a team comprised of players he played with in Bantam AAA last year and players from Bantam AA, whom he was better than.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
So now that Hockey Canada didn't cheap out on players in this past WJC (according to you, they didn't want to pay the insurance) and they brought not one but two 95's, you have to come up with another ridiculous thing to complain about?

You do realize you're proposing that a 98 play in a tournament filled with 94's and 95's, right?
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. If he wasn't.....yikes.

I'm more interested to see how he looks in the All-Canadian game against the likes of Sean Day and Adam Mascherin.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:25 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERsKEPTIC View Post
Another 7pt game........43g's 72a's for 115pts...buuuuuuuuuuuuuut second in the league in goals!

Old
01-06-2013, 11:08 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post

I'm more interested to see how he looks in the All-Canadian game against the likes of Sean Day and Adam Mascherin.
Well if he is, he's certainly consistent with it.
He was suggesting that Barzal and McDavid get invites this past summer..

Old
01-07-2013, 12:16 AM
youppi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post

He's played in spring against these guys and he's not on their level. The Alberta league is lacking depth and he kills bad teams, inflating stats. I have seen these players many times, he might be a notch lower than Mascherin but not even in the same area code as Day.

I have seen both players on numerous occasions, I have been involved with 98's both in Southern Ontario and in Edmonton. I have seen Sean Day play around 15 times over the years and I have seen Tyler Benson play about 10 times, including watching both players in the same spring hockey tournament.

There really isn't any comparison between the two players,this is not in any way a negative comment regarding Benson,but Sean Day is a generational talent, was unbelievable in Novice hockey and just as dominant against Minor Midgets as a Bantam aged. As most have commented, he doesn't look as if he's even trying.

My opinion of Benson is that he is very, very good, close to the same level as some of the best players in Ontario, like Mete, Macleod, Mascerin. But not close to Day.

Benson's numbers can't be taken at face falue, I will provide the grain of salt.

The Alberta Bantam AAA loop has some great high end players, Benson, Steel, Quenneville, Clague, etc, as good as the top players in any loop, but there is little depth in the league.Some of the lower end teams like Camrose, Okotoks etc. would be destroyed by a top end GTHL Minor Bantam AA team. The bottom 5 players on nearly every roster couldn't play Major Bantam AA in Ontario.

The 98's and 99's in Alberta are unsually lacking depth compared to most years. If you look at the scoring leaders you will see that 20 players this year are averaging 2+ points per game. In the previous three seasons, only 6-8 players averaged 2 points per game. This is very indicitive of a high scoring loop where you can run up the scores and pile up points. It surely skews Benson's stats when he scores 11 points against a team that shouldn't even be in the league.

Benson is very, very good against kids a year younger and much weaker. Day is outstanding against kids a year older. I am sure they will both be very successful in their future hockey careers.

Last edited by youppi2: 01-07-2013 at 12:22 AM.
youppi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by youppi2 View Post
He's played in spring against these guys and he's not on their level. The Alberta league is lacking depth and he kills bad teams, inflating stats. I have seen these players many times, he might be a notch lower than Mascherin but not even in the same area code as Day.

I have seen both players on numerous occasions, I have been involved with 98's both in Southern Ontario and in Edmonton. I have seen Sean Day play around 15 times over the years and I have seen Tyler Benson play about 10 times, including watching both players in the same spring hockey tournament.

There really isn't any comparison between the two players,this is not in any way a negative comment regarding Benson,but Sean Day is a generational talent, was unbelievable in Novice hockey and just as dominant against Minor Midgets as a Bantam aged. As most have commented, he doesn't look as if he's even trying.

My opinion of Benson is that he is very, very good, close to the same level as some of the best players in Ontario, like Mete, Macleod, Mascerin. But not close to Day.

Benson's numbers can't be taken at face falue, I will provide the grain of salt.

The Alberta Bantam AAA loop has some great high end players, Benson, Steel, Quenneville, Clague, etc, as good as the top players in any loop, but there is little depth in the league.Some of the lower end teams like Camrose, Okotoks etc. would be destroyed by a top end GTHL Minor Bantam AA team. The bottom 5 players on nearly every roster couldn't play Major Bantam AA in Ontario.

The 98's and 99's in Alberta are unsually lacking depth compared to most years. If you look at the scoring leaders you will see that 20 players this year are averaging 2+ points per game. In the previous three seasons, only 6-8 players averaged 2 points per game. This is very indicitive of a high scoring loop where you can run up the scores and pile up points. It surely skews Benson's stats when he scores 11 points against a team that shouldn't even be in the league.

Benson is very, very good against kids a year younger and much weaker. Day is outstanding against kids a year older. I am sure they will both be very successful in their future hockey careers.
I can vouch for this. My Bantam AA SSAC team six years ago beat the Okotoks bantam AAA team. Some teams in the AMBHL are very weak.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

relax dude, Garyboy had it right... it's called sarcasm...google it sometime.

And yes, I'm not so impressed with next year's potential lineup. And if you want to be a defender for all things Hockey Canada does, then by all means have at it. I don't begrudge you your right... if I'm a little too critical of Hockey Canada, then it is my right to do so... if you don't like it, pose a counter argument and we can discuss it or, just ignore it.

And I never suggested Barzal get an invite (at least not that I can recall) I highly doubt I would suggest a 15 year old player who hasn't played a game of junior hockey to get an invite to the U20 team. I'm big on McDavid yes, and I felt an invite wouldn't be out of the question on for him to experience the camp. As it turned out Hockey Canada held a joke of a selection camp anyway with the locks snoozing in the press box...any impartial observer can plainly see that Hockey Canada got everything wrong this year.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 01-07-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Orange Thunder

I like how every time I open this thread he's had a 7 point game

Orange Thunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:47 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by youppi2 View Post

Relax, some very good players have come out of Alberta and played in the same league. Right now Benson is destroying the pts record and is getting some attention, from more ppl than just this board of nobody's.

Note, Benson was very, very good against players a year older last year in this league. Close to the top of the scoring race. This year it isnt even close, as expected right?

Old
01-08-2013, 12:04 AM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReleaseTheLehner View Post
I like how every time I open this thread he's had a 7 point game
some food for thought;

Benson currently sits at 199 pts over his 1.5 seasons in the AMBHL.

No player in history to my knowledge has put up 200 pts over 2 seasons.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Alberta tough

Another article on Tyler with some scouts opinions.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/20...e-this-weekend

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Garyboy

Thanks a lot for the incredibly informed opinion, Youppi2. The hockey looked very weak (for Bantam AAA) in that Benson youtube video that was posted, thus my reservations. Mascherin looks better, but I'm only basing it on one youtube video, which isn't very practical, and we all know Day is on an entirely different level.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Alberta tough

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/vide...#stories/video

Another Benson video. Best part I am in the background at 1:45 hahah.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/vide...#stories/video

Another Benson video. Best part I am in the background at 1:45 hahah.
You looked great =).

Old
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
jfb392

Leads the John Reid Memorial Tournament in scoring - 5GP 8-10-18.

He may light up the AMBHL, but he does well in tournaments too.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:07 AM
HabLover

Quote:
Leads the John Reid Memorial Tournament in scoring - 5GP 8-10-18.

He may light up the AMBHL, but he does well in tournaments too.
Arguably the top bantam tournament in Western Canada from September to April....Benson leads the tournament in scoring for second year in a row, also did it as an underage. His club loses final in OT to a strong team from the NSWC.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:14 PM
topchowda

Heres a list of scoring records at the tourny for comparison

Toews just dominated

Notables:
Brule
Eakin
Reilly
Koekkoek
Shinkaruk
Gormley
Eberle
Schwartz

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Heres a list of scoring records at the tourny for comparison

Toews just dominated

Notables:
Brule
Eakin
Reilly
Koekkoek
Shinkaruk
Gormley
Eberle
Schwartz
Doesnt include stats from the last few years, I believe Benson had 21 pts last year to lead the tourney as a first year.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
BigD66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Doesnt include stats from the last few years, I believe Benson had 21 pts last year to lead the tourney as a first year.
He did

http://fscs.rampinteractive.com/john...stats_2012.pdf

BigD66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Daneurism

What's interesting to me looking at the 2012 stats is how well the top 98s did. Benson, Steel, Clague and Quenneville were pretty much on par, stat wise, with the top 97 performers.

Would be nice to be able to see the 2013 stats.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote