HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
What's the deal with Matteau? Is he only a 5-game stopgap until Henrique returns?

I'm in a very deep 18 team league and picked him up. Anyone think he stays on the roster or will he get sent back down to junior?

Old
01-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Scott04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
What's the deal with Matteau? Is he only a 5-game stopgap until Henrique returns?

I'm in a very deep 18 team league and picked him up. Anyone think he stays on the roster or will he get sent back down to junior?
Given what many would "assume" to be the Devils way of operating, it seems as if he's here for the 5 games and that's it. But by the same token, he's playing enough of a role so far to say it may not be that simple to assume he's gone after his 5 games are up. The team is still waiting on Henrique to come back, and is still sitting with a surplus of D-men and a need for a top-6 (or maybe top-9) forward. There is still going to be some change in their lineup, so it remains to be seen what can be expected of Matteau's chances of sticking. I would lean towards him being sent back (as I feel the majority would, even if its not much of a majority), but the short of it is that it is still too early to tell.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:23 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:

Getting harder and harder to stay for certain.
Last week, I would have said 99% sure he went back. Now I'm down to 70%.

I hope he does go back to the Q, though. I want him seasoned and playing his mind out to get back to the NHL.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:

Brain says he goes back down.

Heart says Cinderella story (in a Bill Murray voice)

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
01-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:

I honestly think at this point he's going to stay, we'll burn a contract year, and we'll end up sending him back sometime after the trade deadline, and he'll be back as depth in the playoffs.

(Assuming we can do that. I think we can, right?)

Old
01-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I honestly think at this point he's going to stay, we'll burn a contract year, and we'll end up sending him back sometime after the trade deadline, and he'll be back as depth in the playoffs.

I think we could send him to Albany, but not to junior... But I don't know that for sure.

I never thought he would stay, but after two games, I think he does - and Tedenby gets sent back down to the A.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I think we could send him to Albany, but not to junior... But I don't know that for sure.

I never thought he would stay, but after two games, I think he does - and Tedenby gets sent back down to the A.
I know we can't send him to the AHL no matter what, due to being a CHL player and his age. I'm not sure if playing more than 5 games makes him inelegible to go back to juniors, too.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
I know we can't send him to the AHL no matter what, due to being a CHL player and his age. I'm not sure if playing more than 5 games makes him inelegible to go back to juniors, too.
Ah, you're correct about that... I forgot he's that young for some reason. Either way, I'd have to imagine if he sticks past 5 games he'll stay here.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:42 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:

I don't know if we can recall a player from juniors for the playoffs, but if he's going to stay I think he rotates as a healthy scratch a la Larsson. He's clearly good enough to be here, and Pete has shown that he thinks thinks having young players be with the team full time is just as valuable as play time.

Plus it'll force the Teddy's and Bernier's to have a sense of urgency knowing a hungry player is chomping at the bit to get into action.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

I think this was asked already but I missed if there was an answer or not, have we been in a situation like the one with Matteau before, the solid play included with the ELC stuff?

Old
01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post

I think in the matter of three games Matteau and Tedenby are both gone, replaced by a returning Henrique and signed Darche.

Matteau's looked like a live body so far but I think people are jumping the gun a wee bit here. It's not like he's some super-talented guy we can't sign/acquire a reasonable facsimile of for the rest of the season and not have to burn a year of the ELC.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:26 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I think in the matter of three games Matteau and Tedenby are both gone, replaced by a returning Henrique and signed Darche.

Matteau's looked like a live body so far but I think people are jumping the gun a wee bit here. It's not like he's some super-talented guy we can't sign/acquire a reasonable facsimile of for the rest of the season and not have to burn a year of the ELC.
Agreed I said this yesterday.

dunno what to do with Tedenby though. Would love to package him in a trade with a dman and maybe a pick to get a quality forward back but I dunno if those are available out there yet.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:29 PM
hlaverty06

Love the response

Old
01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

I really hope we don't sign Darche

Old
01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post

Replace Darche with a potential trade and I agree.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I don't think Lou and Pete would have Matteau in the lineup at all if they didn't think there was a legitimate chance of him being - or of them wanting him as - an every-day player for the rest of the year.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
How much cap space do we have available?

01-23-2013, 03:47 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
a ********.

edit: damn censorship. a lot.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:48 PM
DerekDevils30

One thing I really enjoy about this team is the toughness. There was a stretch for a few years where the Devils would get pushed around night in and night out. That's not the case anymore. They're always standing up for each other. Even if the offense struggles, at times, this is going to be a tough team to play against.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
I don't think Lou and Pete would have Matteau in the lineup at all if they didn't think there was a legitimate chance of him being - or of them wanting him as - an every-day player for the rest of the year.
As true as this statement is, no matter how serviceable to solid to good he looked, it`s still a possibility IMO.

Old
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Close to $13 mil

Old
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
a ********.

edit: damn censorship. a lot.
Well thats good come trading deadline, my worry is that due to the short season there will be more buyers than sellers and more than usual.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

But I thought that stuff doesn't apply because we didn't draft him out of junior (Matteau)? We drafted him out of the USNDTP, no?

Old
01-23-2013, 03:58 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post

Love the response
I would love to find out what that loser said to our fans on his way to the box. POS.

I love how everybody is refusing to back down. Making our building tough to play in.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Jack Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
But I thought that stuff doesn't apply because we didn't draft him out of junior (Matteau)? We drafted him out of the USNDTP, no?
Yea he could have gone straight to the AHL but since he's played in the Q this year I think it's either the NHL of back to Juniors. I'm not really sure about that though. I know he can play in the AHL next year.

Closed Thread