HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Hawks 3, Blues 2

Old
01-23-2013, 11:52 AM
STC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGHawks18 View Post
What the poster just said is spot on about Bickell. He's not bad, he has played well in the 3 games so far as I have been watching that whole 3rd line closely. He has made some great passes to set up Stahlberg. I honestly don't know what you're watching.

You guys must be hitting the peace pipe hard to come away from these first 3 games thinking that Bickell has played well. He's friggen terrible and has easily been the worst player on the ice for the Hawks in all 3 games. Turns it over in the neutral zone consistently, can't get the puck deep, doesn't hit anyone, is a total black hole and shoots it every time he touches it for the most part. Heck, when he was behind the net with the puck it looked like he was trying to figure out a way to shoot before reluctantly attempting a pass in front instead.

He is NOT an NHL hockey player.

He needs to be benched, move Frolik up to line 3 and dress Mayers for line 4.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
I am by no means an Oduya hater, I think he is a solid defenseman with a good first pass. My only real issue with him is that he seems absolutely petrified to take a hit. Anytime he is pressured hard he makes a bad decision with the puck.
That might be the most inaccurate statement ever written here. I created a drinking game where you have to do a shot every time Oduya makes a terrible pass. Game had to be discontinued after one period due to alcohol poisoining related deaths.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Not much disagreement here, but I'd rather get a crusty old fart in who can win a defensive zone draw.
That's Jamal Mayers (56% last year) imo.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Shaw was easily the worst player on ice last night

Bickell has played well these past 2 games and is actually throwing hits while Frolik set up Bollig quality chance and outside of the final PK in which he left man alone he was good again overall
Frolik has been far worse, and all Bickell does is walk in over the blue line and take a wrist shot. Bickell and Frolik have left a lot to be desired defensively, at least Shaw is bringing some energy to the table.

If they put Shaw back at wing, he will play better I think.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
That might be the most inaccurate statement ever written here. I created a drinking game where you have to do a shot every time Oduya makes a terrible pass. Game had to be discontinued after one period due to alcohol poisoining related deaths.
What game are you watching? Oduya has made incredible passes the last couple games and has played very sound defense.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Malholtra would be awesome.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Wow, you are one wild and crazy guy!

Overall Oduya is a solid defenseman with a good first pass, except, as I said in my post, when he feels the pressure of being hit, then he can make some bad decisions.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Wow, you are one wild and crazy guy!

Overall Oduya is a solid defenseman with a good first pass, except, as I said in my post, when he feels the pressure of being hit, then he can make some bad decisions.
He's a good skater too, but ya, that describes Oduya to a tee.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:27 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I actually like Oduya in small doses and in an offensive role. In our own end, he makes me nervous as hell. Every time he has the puck behind the blue line I'm afraid he's going to cough it up to the other team or just toss it right in front of the net.

Don't know what you guys are on about Bickell. He's been fantastic this season.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
So far Toews has stayed under the radar. I'm guessing his typical slow starts to the season aren't limited to October. If that's the case then I hope his usual season progression of Slow Start > Heat Up > Concussion > Miss 4 Weeks > Playoff Beast Mode is adjusted by the shortened season to just Slow Start > Heat Up just in time for the playoffs.

Is Toews so good that he has to score every shift to get noticed?

PPG, tied for the league lead in plus/minus (with Oduya) and sitting with a 62.7% face off %.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:15 PM
EbonyRaptor

Bickell still shoots his wrister from just inside the blue line too much - usually with the goalie having an unobstructed view - so it's basically just giving the puck to the opponent. But, Bickell did make the nice pass to set up Stalberg's first goal, and he and Stalberg have played a fairly effective cycle game a few times. So I think you keep Bickell and Stalberg together - BUT put Kruger between them. Move Shaw to the 4th line and have him play wing when Mayers plays center and Shaw can play 4C when Mayers sits and Bollig is in.

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Bolland-Kane
Bickell-Kruger-Stalberg
Frolik-Mayers-Shaw or Bollig-Shaw-Frolik depending if Bollig is needed based on opponent.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:22 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
You guys must be hitting the peace pipe hard to come away from these first 3 games thinking that Bickell has played well. He's friggen terrible and has easily been the worst player on the ice for the Hawks in all 3 games. Turns it over in the neutral zone consistently, can't get the puck deep, doesn't hit anyone, is a total black hole and shoots it every time he touches it for the most part. Heck, when he was behind the net with the puck it looked like he was trying to figure out a way to shoot before reluctantly attempting a pass in front instead.

He is NOT an NHL hockey player.

He needs to be benched, move Frolik up to line 3 and dress Mayers for line 4.
I am not jumping up and down with the way Bickell has played, but I wouldnt call his play terrible by any means. We lack size, simple as that. He fits the role that we need him to play. This team shouldnt count on Bickell being a playmaker or goal scorer period. He needs to do the little things infront of the goalie and outwork his opponents along the boards. I think he has been just fine this year as I agree his weak wrister from 60 feet out isnt going to do much, but I at least like a guy who wants to shoot the damn puck and create something.

Bickell will find his way into double digit goals this year likely many of the ugly kind, but thats the type of player he is...and if you take his size and hits out of our forward group, we will get worked over even more so then we will in the playoffs (I wish Bickell would hit more consistently overall). As long as this team doesnt need to rely on Bickell to produce a lot offensively this year (mainly due to injuries or slumps), then we will be fine and this kind of nitpicking will look idiotic as we win the division.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I actually like Oduya in small doses and in an offensive role. In our own end, he makes me nervous as hell. Every time he has the puck behind the blue line I'm afraid he's going to cough it up to the other team or just toss it right in front of the net.

Don't know what you guys are on about Bickell. He's been fantastic this season.
I agree with Oduya that he can be very likeable in doses. As long as his minutes are maintained, and he plays in a supporting role, I think he does just fine in that role. I am not a big Oduya fan, but there are a ton worse players out there than this guy...he is one of the guys that is really helping this team go offensively, people really dont realize how important it is to have good skating/passing dmen to get the puck out of your zone and on the attack...teams that can do that the best are the ones that usually end up winning.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Sarava

I wonder if Danault could slot in as #3 center when Moncton's season is over? Is that too aggressive?

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I wonder if Danault could slot in as #3 center when Moncton's season is over? Is that too aggressive?
He could. It's been done before (i.e. Subban to Montreal in 2010).

But yes, it's probably a little too aggressive.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Cullksinikers

I'd say it's a little too soon. Next year is a real possibility of seeing him at the NHL level.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Sarava

It's so easy to get excited about Danault coming to Chicago. The things you read, seeing him play when I've been to. He seems like another Dave Bolland to be honest...maybe with a little less offensive ability, but possibly more intangibles. He's definitely my favorite draft pick of the Stan Bowman era thus far.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:02 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

I think having Keith/Seabs on the ice when our third and fourth lines are out there has made a big impact on our overall team defense.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
I don;t know about #3 C, but he could certainly slot in on 1 of the lower lines, even as a winger.

Stalberg - Kruger - Danault
Carcillo - Shaw - Mayers/Bollig/Bickell/Frolik

Old
01-23-2013, 02:13 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
It's so easy to get excited about Danault coming to Chicago. The things you read, seeing him play when I've been to. He seems like another Dave Bolland to be honest...maybe with a little less offensive ability, but possibly more intangibles. He's definitely my favorite draft pick of the Stan Bowman era thus far.
Me too, definitely. There is something to be said for bringing a guy up when his confidence is at a high point, even if it is from playing in juniors. He seems much more mature than his age and I wouldn't be at all opposed to giving it a shot.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:25 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
I think having Keith/Seabs on the ice when our third and fourth lines are out there has made a big impact on our overall team defense.

TBH, I haven’t noticed that trend but this is a very good point. I used to get so pissed at Q when he would play our bottom 2 dmen with the bottom 6 and we’d sometimes end up spending an entire shift hemmed into our own end.. or worse get scored on.

Actually (knock on wood) Q seems to have got his **** together so far. I like the lines for the most part, and he isn’t shuffling them around every period like he has done in the past. Funny to hear him in interviews though. He is hoarser than hoarse. No exhibition games and a 1 week training camp will age any coach.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:30 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I am not jumping up and down with the way Bickell has played, but I wouldnt call his play terrible by any means. We lack size, simple as that. He fits the role that we need him to play. This team shouldnt count on Bickell being a playmaker or goal scorer period. He needs to do the little things infront of the goalie and outwork his opponents along the boards. I think he has been just fine this year as I agree his weak wrister from 60 feet out isnt going to do much, but I at least like a guy who wants to shoot the damn puck and create something.

Bickell will find his way into double digit goals this year likely many of the ugly kind, but thats the type of player he is...and if you take his size and hits out of our forward group, we will get worked over even more so then we will in the playoffs (I wish Bickell would hit more consistently overall). As long as this team doesnt need to rely on Bickell to produce a lot offensively this year (mainly due to injuries or slumps), then we will be fine and this kind of nitpicking will look idiotic as we win the division.
Agree … except his wrister is not weak. That is his strength and I have no problem with him using it. Just get it on the net. He’s also made some nice cross ice passes. He sprung Stalberg for the winning goal last night.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:34 PM
galaxytrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Please don't tell me people are going to turn on Shaw now after two games. He's a 5th round pick in his sophomore season. Cool your expectations people.
agree 100%.
he could do no wrong last season...now 3 games in he's a bum?

galaxytrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:37 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxytrash View Post
agree 100%.
Yeah some people are pretty ridiculous. I prefer Shaw at wing, but still think he deserves a shot at center. All the lines are producing right now. Why fix something that isn't broken?

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxytrash View Post
agree 100%.
Saying Shaw has been horrid for 1st 3 games is not calling him a bum

But his play in AHL wasn't that good most nights and it appears his play has carried over

If he doesn't start to show signs of improvement he should get Ben Smith treatment (He struggled last year and was sent back to AHL)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote