HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikko Koivu as captain

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
  #51
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,609
vCash: 500
Koivu in the media after a loss bugs me...but that's not the entirety of being captain.

Parise after last night's loss was pretty forthcoming. That IMO is what I thought he would do and help with the media.

I do hope Koivu improves that aspect but I don't think it's hurting the team or taking away from anything else he does.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:25 PM
  #52
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Until Koivu carries this team to some playoff success, I think people deserve the right to not be enamored with him as a captain.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:28 PM
  #53
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Koivu in the media after a loss bugs me...but that's not the entirety of being captain.

Parise after last night's loss was pretty forthcoming. That IMO is what I thought he would do and help with the media.

I do hope Koivu improves that aspect but I don't think it's hurting the team or taking away from anything else he does.
You're right in terms of him being a captain as a whole, but media interviews and what we see on the ice are what we, as fans, have to go off of. The perception Koivu gives during interviews can go a long way to shaping opinions of him as a captain.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:33 PM
  #54
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Interviewing well is not *all* that a captain is about, but it is part of what being a captain is about, and denying it isn't very useful either.

I respect the passion and hating losing, but being defensive or in denial to the press when it happens, simply isn't helpful.

Part of what being a captain is about is taking that on yourself to deal with the press effectively so that other members of the team don't have to --when things are going badly, you're taking the bullet for the team there. If you can't do it effectively, then the press is going to go elsewhere on the team to try to get some quotes they can use. So if you as captain can't fulfill that role effectively, it will impact other team members.

I'm not saying it is a fatal flaw that makes Mikko unsuitable as captain, but it is a flaw nonetheless. Heater is a good interview in that regard, and is very used to being the center of press attention in his career, so that helps in this particular situation --he's used to it and doesn't seem to mind doing it. Zach, who is an official "A" can do it too. Suter, the other "A", is not quite as well spoken, but does generally give an impression of being laid back. . . we'll see in this particular regard as time goes by.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:38 PM
  #55
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
Interviewing well is not *all* that a captain is about, but it is part of what being a captain is about, and denying it isn't very useful either.

I respect the passion and hating losing, but being defensive or in denial to the press when it happens, simply isn't helpful.

Part of what being a captain is about is taking that on yourself to deal with the press effectively so that other members of the team don't have to --when things are going badly, you're taking the bullet for the team there. If you can't do it effectively, then the press is going to go elsewhere on the team to try to get some quotes they can use. So if you as captain can't fulfill that role effectively, it will impact other team members.

I'm not saying it is a fatal flaw that makes Mikko unsuitable as captain, but it is a flaw nonetheless. Heater is a good interview in that regard, and is very used to being the center of press attention in his career, so that helps in this particular situation --he's used to it and doesn't seem to mind doing it. Zach, who is an official "A" can do it too. Suter, the other "A", is not quite as well spoken, but does generally give an impression of being laid back. . . we'll see in this particular regard as time goes by.
I really enjoyed Heatley's answer on the bench last night (something to the effect of): "How is the body holding up after 3 games in 4 nights."

"Well, you know, we had yesterday off so that helped...no excuses though."

"....and that's Dany Heatley. Back to you guys."


Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:00 PM
  #56
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
I really enjoyed Heatley's answer on the bench last night (something to the effect of): "How is the body holding up after 3 games in 4 nights."

"Well, you know, we had yesterday off so that helped...no excuses though."

"....and that's Dany Heatley. Back to you guys."

Hehe, I remember that. I like Heatley even more for that.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:20 PM
  #57
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 50
Lemaire: had a rotating captaincy that Koivu became the captain on significantly more than anyone else. Many times back to back to back especially as he aged in the NHL.

Richards: well, Koivu was captain the entire time. I would like to think that Richards is not a complete idiot and did make some decisions for himself.

Yeo: Kaptain Koivu still. Yeo does not strike me as the kind of guy that is overly wishy-washy, and quite possibly even has a strong opinion or two of his own.

Fletcher: Huge spokesperson for Koivu and re-signed him to a long-term deal, with the intention of Koivu remaining captain.

Koivu was also CHOSEN to captain the Finnish team that won gold in the WC.

Some people like to make hypothesis that Koivu scares these men and keeps his captaincy out of fear. I believe they get to see aspects of Koivu that us, the lay-people and armchair gms, do not get to see. I would prefer to put my faith in men that have enormous amounts of experience and are directly trained(even Richards) to do their given jobs.

Let's also keep in mind that Koivu, is not from America! He does have some different beliefs and perspectives on life. They do not have to be just like ours to be valid.

Here's my proof. Where is the proof directly against him to refute this. I don't want some one-time article from three years ago, that the only thing anyone can do is guess on. If he is as bad as some believe, there would be proof out there from past teammates or many more guessable instances at the very least. He would also not continue to be chosen as a captain.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
  #58
ThatGuy22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post

Koivu was also CHOSEN to captain the Finnish team that won gold in the WC.
Someone from Finland please correct me if i'm wrong. But I recall reading that Finland has a permanent captain for their National team. It was Saku for long time, but it got passed to Mikko. So if Mikko is playing internationally, he is the captain. That kind of speaks for itself I think.

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:09 PM
  #59
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Rolston used to call him "Franchise", well before he was captain, and with Gaborik still here.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:10 PM
  #60
Haite
x
 
Haite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,866
vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
Someone from Finland please correct me if i'm wrong. But I recall reading that Finland has a permanent captain for their National team. It was Saku for long time, but it got passed to Mikko. So if Mikko is playing internationally, he is the captain. That kind of speaks for itself I think.
Pretty much. It's nothing official though, of course.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
  #61
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Koivu was also CHOSEN to captain the Finnish team that won gold in the WC.
They don't play 82 game (or even 48 game) seasons in WC. It's the cumulative frustration of losing that gets him tongue-tied and glowering when the press is just trying to do their job in a tough situation for everyone.

You think a guy like Russo would *much* rather be covering a winning team? Of course he would. Any press guy would. It's good for their careers too, y'know. They get a lot more face and voice time on local and North American TV/radio when their team is going well, and that translates to career advancement in the long-run if they are also good at what they do. More column inches and better placement in their home rag as well.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:32 PM
  #62
Tuomaz
Registered User
 
Tuomaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 4,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
They don't play 82 game (or even 48 game) seasons in WC. It's the cumulative frustration of losing that gets him tongue-tied and glowering when the press is just trying to do their job in a tough situation for everyone.

You think a guy like Russo would *much* rather be covering a winning team? Of course he would. Any press guy would. It's good for their careers too, y'know. They get a lot more face and voice time on local and North American TV/radio when their team is going well, and that translates to career advancement in the long-run if they are also good at what they do. More column inches and better placement in their home rag as well.
Press can suck it up.

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:42 PM
  #63
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,609
vCash: 500
I dunno, it seems like we're building a little mythology here on a handful of incidents and reading way too much into second hand reports.

I'd have to think if there was some problem with Koivu's leadership, Russo would jump on it right away, like he did with Zidlicky. Then the speculation would be warranted.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:29 PM
  #64
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
"First, as I joked with Koivu in an email last night, at some point over the next eight years, thereís a good bet one of us strangles the other. Koivu is one of the most intense athletes Iíve ever covered. And Iíve got a tendency to lose my skull. Koivu hates to lose, so if you fumble over a question or ask a pointed question after one of those losses, heís liable to get fire in his eyes, aim, fire and make you feel about 3 feet tall. Iíve been on the other end of that stare, strangely in the city of Dallas mostly (probably because the Wild never wins in Dallas). It ainít fun. But get Koivu out of the rink or on the phone or at the local coffee shop, he and I get along royally."

Russo when Koivu signed his contract extension.

So, it's real. Argue it isn't that important, but don't argue it doesn't exist.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:46 PM
  #65
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,132
vCash: 97
This is becoming a yearly tradition.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:54 PM
  #66
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,524
vCash: 50
Shanahan did more with the press than Stevie Y. And many consider Stevie Y to be one of the greatest to wear a "C" ever. There is a reason his retired number has the letter compared to the rest of the legends Detroit has been blessed with having. Face it. Parise will be the media figurehead namely because he is the most gifted player on the team and he is a native of this state. He knows that. Fletcher and Yeo know that. Leipold knows that.

Media is not a "make or break." I would much rather they be a leader to their team, mentor the youth, and convene with veterans when it comes time for such actions to occur. This team will be amazing considering who wear those magical letters on their jerseys and what our talented prospects get to learn NHL style of play from. Zucker learning how to play like Parise. Granlund learning to play like Koivu. That is amazing. WGAF what the media thinks.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:04 PM
  #67
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls
 
Lapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampere, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 5,853
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
Someone from Finland please correct me if i'm wrong. But I recall reading that Finland has a permanent captain for their National team. It was Saku for long time, but it got passed to Mikko. So if Mikko is playing internationally, he is the captain. That kind of speaks for itself I think.
Well, it isn't official, but it would be a small shock to everyone if it was someone else than Koivu.

It's clear to everyone that Koivu will be the captain of Team Finland as long as he plays hockey.


Last edited by Lapa: 01-23-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:41 AM
  #68
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,526
vCash: 500
Maybe us Finns see things differently, but most people here see Mikko Koivu as a great captain. He's very popular and respected among fans and Finnish players in Finland, other European leagues and the NHL. All this despite seeing what he's like after a loss. He most definitely reacts to losses very badly even when he's only playing a tournament with the national team, not just in the NHL when the Wild's having a losing streak. The media here defends his behavior for the most part, they know what he's like and accept it. Perhaps people (including the media) here put less value on post-game interviews than in America.

He also likes to keep a lot of things between just him and the team, and I think he has that right. He wants to win more than anything and pleasing the media doesn't help the team win. He's there to lead the team, not to give great interviews to reporters. Some people think he's intimidating, but I feel that if you're scared of him, you're the one who's a fool. He seems to have a strong will and personality in general, which is not a negative thing at all.

Mikko doesn't toot his own horn and doesn't care if someone doesn't like him, but other people, including teammates and coaches are more than willing to sing his praises. Very few players get as much respect here from everyone as Mikko does. He has shown strong leadership and there will be a lot of confused and angry Finnish hockey fans if someone else is suddenly named captain in the national team.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:56 AM
  #69
ThatGuy22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Maybe us Finns see things differently, but most people here see Mikko Koivu as a great captain. He's very popular and respected among fans and Finnish players in Finland, other European leagues and the NHL. All this despite seeing what he's like after a loss. He most definitely reacts to losses very badly even when he's only playing a tournament with the national team, not just in the NHL when the Wild's having a losing streak. The media here defends his behavior for the most part, they know what he's like and accept it. Perhaps people (including the media) here put less value on post-game interviews than in America.

He also likes to keep a lot of things between just him and the team, and I think he has that right. He wants to win more than anything and pleasing the media doesn't help the team win. He's there to lead the team, not to give great interviews to reporters. Some people think he's intimidating, but I feel that if you're scared of him, you're the one who's a fool. He seems to have a strong will and personality in general, which is not a negative thing at all.

Mikko doesn't toot his own horn and doesn't care if someone doesn't like him, but other people, including teammates and coaches are more than willing to sing his praises. Very few players get as much respect here from everyone as Mikko does. He has shown strong leadership and there will be a lot of confused and angry Finnish hockey fans if someone else is suddenly named captain in the national team.
Says it all right here. Even if he is a surly ******* with the media, who cares. You have never heard one bad thing about him from a team-mate, coach, or front office. They respect him and thats what matters. I personally like that our captain is pissed off as hell after a regular season loss. He has fire.

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:54 AM
  #70
Caior89
Registered User
 
Caior89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
I got a little worried when I saw this thread title. Every year there's always a bunch of posters who want it ripped from his sweater, usually for a bunch of really silly reasons.

It was refreshing to read this time, that many people here believe he should remain the captain.

same with me, this is Kaptain K team and although he always looks calm and that image of him only leading by example, he knows everyone and is a good vocal leader inside the locker room.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:29 PM
  #71
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,410
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Maybe us Finns see things differently, but most people here see Mikko Koivu as a great captain. He's very popular and respected among fans and Finnish players in Finland, other European leagues and the NHL. All this despite seeing what he's like after a loss. He most definitely reacts to losses very badly even when he's only playing a tournament with the national team, not just in the NHL when the Wild's having a losing streak. The media here defends his behavior for the most part, they know what he's like and accept it. Perhaps people (including the media) here put less value on post-game interviews than in America.

He also likes to keep a lot of things between just him and the team, and I think he has that right. He wants to win more than anything and pleasing the media doesn't help the team win. He's there to lead the team, not to give great interviews to reporters. Some people think he's intimidating, but I feel that if you're scared of him, you're the one who's a fool. He seems to have a strong will and personality in general, which is not a negative thing at all.

Mikko doesn't toot his own horn and doesn't care if someone doesn't like him, but other people, including teammates and coaches are more than willing to sing his praises. Very few players get as much respect here from everyone as Mikko does. He has shown strong leadership and there will be a lot of confused and angry Finnish hockey fans if someone else is suddenly named captain in the national team.
Looks like we don't see things differently than Finns then....we're all in agreement here.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:21 PM
  #72
Fin9*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Smokey Town
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
anyways i love this man!! great kaptain evern bette rpalyer!! go mikko! go wild !! peace everyone!

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:29 PM
  #73
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,317
vCash: 50
Koivu embodies the team identity. He was the only player Fletcher wouldn't consider trading when it became apparent we needed some dynamite to fix this thing. someone else can go look for quotes but i remember a reporter asking who was on the block and he said everyone but Koivu. this was before the Burns trade sometime.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
  #74
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
This thread appeared earlier than normal this year...

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.