HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers/Maple Leafs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2013, 01:27 PM
  #51
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatic View Post
he's played 3rd pairing minutes and played well, at least during the 1st two games of the season. i think randys system is much better for him; he almost looks like an NHL defenseman now.

honestly i think komi will be on the move this season: he's definitely a leader on this leaf team, but wasnt given an A? curious anyway. rangers dont really need the leafs to eat salary, so i cant see sather going this route.

side note: last year i asked about kreiders availability and received a tongue lashing. where do fans stand this year?
Not moving. And it'snot even a fan thing. The Rangers flat out said "no" to Columbus when they asked for Kreider to be included for Nash. The Rangers see him as a future Pacioretty/Cole type player. They don't grow on trees.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:46 PM
  #52
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
So you'd trade a bottom-of-the-lineup player for the Leafs #1 centre? You don't say
He's the Leafs #1 center? You don't say.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:51 PM
  #53
Phatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
It's not about the Leafs helping the Rangers, it's a trade, hence something of value would go back to the Leafs. Duh.
ok, so leafs put connolly on re-entry waivers and rangers dont claim so they can trade a roster player for him? regardless, connolly clears waivers: how about franson and connolly for hagelin and bourque

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
  #54
Phatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Not moving. And it'snot even a fan thing. The Rangers flat out said "no" to Columbus when they asked for Kreider to be included for Nash. The Rangers see him as a future Pacioretty/Cole type player. They don't grow on trees.
yeah, thats why id like him in toronto. hopefully JVR turns a corner here, but watching him so far has been underwhelming, albiet a two game sample size is hardly fair. gotta say ive liked what the rangers have been able to do as an organization. they have my vote as soon as the leafs are golfing.

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:56 PM
  #55
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatic View Post
ok, so leafs put connolly on re-entry waivers and rangers dont claim so they can trade a roster player for him? regardless, connolly clears waivers: how about franson and connolly for hagelin and bourque
No. We're just not trading an NHL player on our roster whos demonstrated chemistry with Richards and Gaborik for a bottom-pairing guy and an injury prone, overpaid player who doesn't fit into our lineup. Connolly has no value to us.

For us to acquire Franson, it would have to be something like a third+B level prospect. Trading Hagelin opens up a bigger hole than it solves.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:01 PM
  #56
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 990
vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatic View Post
ok, so leafs put connolly on re-entry waivers and rangers dont claim so they can trade a roster player for him? regardless, connolly clears waivers: how about franson and connolly for hagelin and bourque
There are no re-entry waivers anymore, but teams are allowed to retain up to 50% of the salary and cap space in a trade.

No team is going to take Connolly at his cap hit, the Rangers could not even fit it. So if they want to move him they are going to have to retain some of that, probably the max 50%

I'm not sure what the Leafs plans are, maybe they want to keep Connolly for insurance as depth, but if they want to move him and get something back for him, they are probably going to either have to retain some salary or wait until the trade deadline when his cap hit is prorated.

Since the Rangers are shallow at center, they may take a chance on someone like Connolly although I doubt his game fits in with Tortorella's coaching style but they might all the same out of need.

With that being said, and maybe I should have phrased it as a question, if the Leafs were willing to move Connolly and keep half his cap hit and salary,what would they want in return in order to do so?

From my guess the Rangers, I could see them moving picks or maybe some smaller but skilled prospects (B Level) wings, but I have no idea if the Leafs would be interested.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:06 PM
  #57
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Hagelin >> Franson
Exactly.

Hagelin is one of the best skaters in the league. Franson is one of the worst.

Hagelin with a knee brace, skates better than Franson.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:09 PM
  #58
Phatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
No. We're just not trading an NHL player on our roster whos demonstrated chemistry with Richards and Gaborik for a bottom-pairing guy and an injury prone, overpaid player who doesn't fit into our lineup. Connolly has no value to us.

For us to acquire Franson, it would have to be something like a third+B level prospect. Trading Hagelin opens up a bigger hole than it solves.
ah ignorance. your response to my post clearly shows you have not read anything else from this thread. two separate posters from the rangers fan based asked about connolly, the later wanted him in a package deal. since the OP was trying to spin a deal around hagelin for franson, i threw in connolly and the leafs could use a center prospect coming back as well. the leafs can afford to eat some of connollys salary this year so thats hardly a concern.
so your attack on my post is far from warranted. if you have a problem with the pieces involved turn your frustrations toward the OP and your own fan base.

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:15 PM
  #59
Phatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
There are no re-entry waivers anymore, but teams are allowed to retain up to 50% of the salary and cap space in a trade.

No team is going to take Connolly at his cap hit, the Rangers could not even fit it. So if they want to move him they are going to have to retain some of that, probably the max 50%

I'm not sure what the Leafs plans are, maybe they want to keep Connolly for insurance as depth, but if they want to move him and get something back for him, they are probably going to either have to retain some salary or wait until the trade deadline when his cap hit is prorated.

Since the Rangers are shallow at center, they may take a chance on someone like Connolly although I doubt his game fits in with Tortorella's coaching style but they might all the same out of need.

With that being said, and maybe I should have phrased it as a question, if the Leafs were willing to move Connolly and keep half his cap hit and salary,what would they want in return in order to do so?

From my guess the Rangers, I could see them moving picks or maybe some smaller but skilled prospects (B Level) wings, but I have no idea if the Leafs would be interested.
you learned me something, thank you i didnt know they had removed re entry in the new cba. you didnt like the package i had presented in my last post to you though or were just looking to remove hagelin entirely and focus on connolly. if just connolly, then a mid round pick would probably do the trick. i dont think sather would offer up any prospects of value and tbh, connolly is gone at seasons end so the leafs could care less. theyll probably shop him for best deal at the deadline

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
  #60
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 990
vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatic View Post
if just connolly, then a mid round pick would probably do the trick. i dont think sather would offer up any prospects of value and tbh, connolly is gone at seasons end so the leafs could care less. theyll probably shop him for best deal at the deadline
Thanks,

I think the Rangers would look to either give up a pick, or possible a prospect like Bourque

As far as Connolly, what happened with him, injuries, effort, did not fit in, a combination of all of those? I guess I am asking if Leafs fans think he could still be a 3rd line center who has 2nd line potential or if he's just done?

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
  #61
Joey Bones
Registered User
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
Never in a million years would the Rangers give up Hags, Bourque, and Eminger for Franson and Rynnas!

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:00 PM
  #62
AlMo
Registered User
 
AlMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatic View Post
he's played 3rd pairing minutes and played well, at least during the 1st two games of the season. i think randys system is much better for him; he almost looks like an NHL defenseman now.

honestly i think komi will be on the move this season: he's definitely a leader on this leaf team, but wasnt given an A? curious anyway. rangers dont really need the leafs to eat salary, so i cant see sather going this route.

side note: last year i asked about kreiders availability and received a tongue lashing. where do fans stand this year?
He played one game and was a healthy scratch in game two and from what I heard this morning, it looks like he will sit out out again tonight. He definitely looks like a NHL 7th defenseman sitting in that press box. Thanks Randy for turning Komi around

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:11 PM
  #63
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
How has Komisarek looked? Would the Leafs be willing to eat some of his salary if the Rangers took him on?
If you're trading us a defenceman better than him or goaltender, then yes... we probably would.

To get rid of him? not a chance. Komisarek will get the year to try and earn his $4.25m, and the Leafs will make a buyout decision in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
Leafs should eat half of Connolly's salary and cap hit and move him to the Rangers. Rangers are a Richards or Stepan injury away from having Boyle and Halpern as their #2 and #3 centers.
Honestly... probably not.

Nonis may have made a really savvy call, refusing to retain salary in order to get something out of Connolly. Remember, there's no more re-entry waivers, he can be called up at any time without risk, and with Colborne stinking it up in the AHL, he'll be Toronto's #1 callup at centre. They could be in a position to get more for him at the deadline when teams are more injured than they are now, and don't have as many issues related to cap/budget space; as well as having some veteran insurance at centre.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:17 PM
  #64
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Then why did they trade Aulie for Ashton?
Because they didn't need a defenceman at the time.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:02 PM
  #65
Phatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
Thanks,

I think the Rangers would look to either give up a pick, or possible a prospect like Bourque

As far as Connolly, what happened with him, injuries, effort, did not fit in, a combination of all of those? I guess I am asking if Leafs fans think he could still be a 3rd line center who has 2nd line potential or if he's just done?
its tough to judge him from his time here. he was brought in to play 1C and it never worked. the 2nd line was set after the year they had, so he was demoted to third line checking unit duties, and thats not exactly his game. he still didnt look awful in limited minutes, and he was playing between steckel and crabb.

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:48 PM
  #66
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,394
vCash: 500
we agree Rangers will not move Hagelin except maybe in blockbuster upgrade.

Christian Thomas is Hagelin lite.
He is very, very fast (not as fast).
He has bonafide skills.
Problem is he's a boom bust lightweight who needs protein shakes.
Boom = Martin St. Louis, a top 6 W.
Bust = if he can't handle bigger NHL frame bodies, so he gets min minutes as 4th line.

A true gamble.
Also, son of Steve Thomas, did nicely w/Leafs + Hawks.

what is workable around Thomas + Franson?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
  #67
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf
 
RealisticLeaf55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, On.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Leafs should not be making deals with the rangers. They are a strong enough team as is. Also the OP is way overvaluing Franson.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:01 PM
  #68
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Rash View Post
Rangers get:

D Cody Franson
G Jussi Rynnas



Maple Leafs get:

LW Carl Hagelin
C Ryan Bourque
D Steve Eminger

Are you a rangers fan? I wouldn't trade hagelin alone for those guys. Did you forget how sick he was last year as a rookie. He's an important piece.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:42 AM
  #69
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 990
vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Nonis may have made a really savvy call, refusing to retain salary in order to get something out of Connolly. Remember, there's no more re-entry waivers, he can be called up at any time without risk, and with Colborne stinking it up in the AHL, he'll be Toronto's #1 callup at centre. They could be in a position to get more for him at the deadline when teams are more injured than they are now, and don't have as many issues related to cap/budget space; as well as having some veteran insurance at centre.
That sounds logical, it is sort of what I thought the Leafs plan would be. I just don't know the Leafs very well so I was not sure if they were looking to move Connonlly or not, if he was disgruntled and causing issue being sent down.

Seems like it would take too much of a return for the Rangers to trade for him right now in that case. They just do not have any NHL roster players to give up, nor do they have a 1st for this years draft.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:02 AM
  #70
CaptainCally
Registered User
 
CaptainCally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd View Post
how has hagelin gone from potential roy 2011-2012 to not worth 1/3 of cody franson in two games?

can someone explain this to me?
h
f
b
o
a
r
d
s...

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:04 AM
  #71
CaptainCally
Registered User
 
CaptainCally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
It's not about the Leafs helping the Rangers, it's a trade, hence something of value would go back to the Leafs. Duh.
Why would Rangers trade for a player that nobody wanted to claim? Obviously there is no interest in Connolly, not with that contract. Eat most of the salary and you can get a 7th.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:16 AM
  #72
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 990
vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
Why would Rangers trade for a player that nobody wanted to claim? Obviously there is no interest in Connolly, not with that contract. Eat most of the salary and you can get a 7th.
Nobody will claim him because of his cap hit and salary, I'm sure teams are also worried about his injury history as well as his perceived lack of effort at times.

The Rangers will be looking for a center they can acquire without giving up a NHL roster player, or a high draft pick or top prospect. Should either Richards or Stepan become injured, they are not going to contend with Boyle and Halpern centering their 2nd line. Even if there are no injuries Boyle is really better suited to the 4th line center role.

There are not very many centers in the league who can play on a scoring line who will be available without giving up something the Rangers will not give up, Connolly as imperfect as he is, if he were available, would fit the bill.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:40 AM
  #73
CaptainCally
Registered User
 
CaptainCally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
Nobody will claim him because of his cap hit and salary, I'm sure teams are also worried about his injury history as well as his perceived lack of effort at times.

The Rangers will be looking for a center they can acquire without giving up a NHL roster player, or a high draft pick or top prospect. Should either Richards or Stepan become injured, they are not going to contend with Boyle and Halpern centering their 2nd line. Even if there are no injuries Boyle is really better suited to the 4th line center role.

There are not very many centers in the league who can play on a scoring line who will be available without giving up something the Rangers will not give up, Connolly as imperfect as he is, if he were available, would fit the bill.
7th + Stu Bickel for Connolly (Toronto keep most of the salary). That's the best they'd get.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.