HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Corvo

Old
01-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Joe McGrath

vCash: 500
As a 6th defenseman I thought Corvo was fine last night. He made a couple mistakes, but nothing really outrageous (like the game before). If he plays that role and is OK on the PowerPlay I'm fine with his presence here. That's all predicated on McBain emerging from whatever the hell funk he's in and playing with Pitkanen which has been successful in the past.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:31 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
But then he has the puck with no pressure in the offensive zone, passes it near Harrison (but not in a place where Harrison could keep the zone), then inexplicably pinches along the boards allowing the puck to get into our zone. Then a few seconds later, they score.
Is this in reference to Aulie's goal to make it 3-1?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Is this in reference to Aulie's goal to make it 3-1?
Must be. I remember Corvo turning it over in the offensive zone before that goal, which led to a rush down the ice and the team playing catchup from there. Not really a direct result to a goal (like he's had before and like Sangs has often), but enough where it's an annoyance.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:11 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Must be. I remember Corvo turning it over in the offensive zone before that goal, which led to a rush down the ice and the team playing catchup from there. Not really a direct result to a goal (like he's had before and like Sangs has often), but enough where it's an annoyance.
It does sound like the only possible connection, but I'm watching this and cannot reconcile the description of the event:

http://video.hurricanes.nhl.com/vide...CAR571&lang=en

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:11 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
We're sitting here complaining about Joe Corvo and his 12 minutes a night.

But Wallym is right, if E. Staal and Ward don't start producing (along with Skinner, J. Staal and Semin), then we are screwed either way.
If Corvo and Sanguiuseless hand the other team a goal piece every game, it doesn't matter how much the top players produce.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
It does sound like the only possible connection, but I'm watching this and cannot reconcile the description of the event:

That video starts immediately after Joe's offensive zone turnover. Then he's fighting the puck in the neutral zone, where it bounces to #11 for the Lightning. They get a good chance out of that. Then Corvo (for whatever reason) wanders behind the net, where Jokinen's already down and out and making a blind pass in the offensive zone.

It was a cluster**** from the get-go, but one initiated by Corvo's mistake.

That being said, he did a great job in keeping the zone on the PP last night. Wish he could hit the net with his shot in those same PP chances, but I'll take what I can get from him.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:03 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
Quote:

He didn't turn it over in the offensive zone. He was making an unpressured D to D pass to harrison, and inexplicably sent it well out of the zone (think Chuck Knoblauch throwing it to first), harrison was able to retrieve it. Harrison gets it back to Corvo. who tries to punch it off the boards by the guy coming up the wing, who knocks it down, which is where the video picks up with the winger winning the battle through Corvo and then the defense goes into standard headless chicken mode defending the rush.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:35 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Aside from the turnover, Corvo wandered lazily back into the defensive zone and just drifted behind the net for no particular reason. That's a sign of a guy who has no ****ing clue what his assignment is and what he's supposed to do next.

But all of that, which is pretty bad, would have gone by the wayside if Corvo had simply recognized that Skinner had hauled ass out of position to try and cover for him. That's all it took, just a second of thought to calculate that if Skinner was covering for Corvo, then Corvo should be helping to cover for Skinner.

So what does Corvo do? He goes to the front of the net and picks up a man on the back side (ok, got it covered), watches Tampa rotate the puck around the zone and past a scrambling Skinner (hmmm... it seems to be coming in your direction, Joe...), watches Aulie receive the puck and walk it right down the lane that Skinner normally occupies (which means you should cover that guy and leave the back side to Skinner, right Joe?) and continues to stand there as Aulie walks it all the way down to the faceoff dot and scores.

The goal wasn't entirely Corvo's fault. Jokinen failed to get the puck out of danger, and the most immediate factor was Harrison's butt in Ward's face. But Corvo's lack of team-oriented defensive focus laid the groundwork for that sequence.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:19 AM
Roboturner913

I think Corvo is not defensively "dumb" necessarily but he does get flustered which leads to him doing dumb things. He needs to be on the third pair playing 7-8 minutes a game and taking power play shifts and being put in situations where he doesn't have to think too much.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:32 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
Corvo with a whopping 7 minutes tonight. Played 13 minutes against Buffalo when the 'Canes went with 5 D for the second half of the game. Healthy scratched the game before.

Great signing.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:26 PM
totalkev

He didn't play at all in the third. I think the Marchand shorty put him in the doghouse, and Muller just didn't think he could trust him at all in the third. I don't think Dalpe played in the third either (nor Westgarth, but that's less surprising).

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Novacane
RIP UT

If Corvo was truly benched(unable to watch the game), I feel a lot better about Muller's control over the team. It's nice when you have a coach who will hold players accountable.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:49 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
If Corvo was truly benched(unable to watch the game), I feel a lot better about Muller's control over the team. It's nice when you have a coach who will hold players accountable.
He's been a healthy scratch already this season and didn't play in the third. I think it's clear he's not Muller's favorite right now. He'd have been a healthy scratch tonight if Faulk was available, I think.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:45 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
To be perfectly honest I'd be OK with Corvo as a #7 dman making #7 dman money. As of right now he's a #7 making #4 money and that's just.... yeaaaaah I don't know what the hell JR was thinking. I mean it's one thing to be paying Zanon or Roszival 2 mil per, it's another thing to be paying Corvo that much. Dude should be making 800K this year, 1 million tops.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:23 AM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Wow... I forgot we were paying Corvo 2 million. I thought it was less. Based on his play he should be making league min. Corvo would have signed for less too. I doubt anyone else called for his services during the summer, but JR must want to keep him part of our country club. Who else is going to be director of puck movement and soft defense?

JR knew he was taking another gamble on defense with Corvo, and it didn't roll the right way. He knows we need another top 4 defenseman and actually did make a real effort to sign Suter, but he didn't want to play here. Hopefully he makes a move to improve our defense soon, if he doesn't it might cost us a playoff spot this year.

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:33 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
I don't think it will cost us the playoffs if we don't make a move, not unless Faulk's out long term. I honestly think we're still in good position heading forward. We could still use another top 4 dman, but we have 4 guys right now that have shown that they are capable of playing that kind of role in Faulk, Pitkanen, Gleason, and McBain (though he's more a 4/5 tweener right now). Harrison's a solid #5/6 guy, and Sangs is learning on the job and is playing like a offensive #6/7.

I'm just frustrated with JR's need for familiarity when we could have gone out and signed another quality #4/5 type dman with this money, one that has a more defense oriented game which is exactly what we need right now.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I don't think it will cost us the playoffs if we don't make a move, not unless Faulk's out long term.
This is my hope too. Our teams in the past have shown the ability to play solid team defense where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I just worry with the short season it will be too late when we reach that point.

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote