HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 6-3 : Yak and Schultz score their 1st NHL goals

Old
01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
SephF
Patreeky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsandOilers View Post
So I wasn't able to see the game last night but was listening to it online. How did Harti look last night?
He was ok, made a few good plays / net drives but also looked lost sometimes and was having trouble finding teammates in the offensive zone.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:20 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
PRV showed some guys last night.

He needs to be given a shot on the 3rd line with Horc and Harti

OilerFan4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Don't really understand the Smyth hate, he seems to be doing what were paying him to do which is play against the other teams top lines and shut them down. As much as I hate Horcoff and want him off the team, I can honestly say that line has been our 2nd best line this year. Also anyone else notice how good Belanger is looking?
This.

Smyth wasn't the worst Oiler by any means. Yes he took a stupid penalty, but the officiating was terrible last night and half the team took stupid penaltys. Overall I thought this was a pretty uneventful night for him.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:32 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Smyth has never had good hands. He's built a career out of being in front of the net, the PK, and good board play/forecheck.

He's always given passes into skates, etc., but now it seems like he really has lost a step, and the overall effectiveness of his game just isn't there.

Really just seems like decline to me - remember it wasn't too long when Ethan Moreau was a highly effective 3rd-4th line player who could score a few goals to being a liability.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:40 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Don't kid yourself, they stopped playing after the first, last two periods were an in-game practice session for them.

There were two things though, not that it would've made a huge difference but you never know. 1 - Dubnyk should've been pulled after that 4th goal, regardless of whether or not they were his fault, the air had been sucked out of the building and it was clear as day a change was needed. 2 - timeout should've been called after the 3rd goal as well, I don't buy Krueger's explanation that they had the TV timeouts to calm them down.

So while I liked Krueger's bench management in the game against Vancouver, I think he made a few errors last night, and also should've dressed both Hordichuk and definitely Fistric. Ultimately the team just wasn't ready though and played a debacle of a first period, one for the ages.

They were playing shinny, trying to thread needles and make pretty passes, thinking they would get by on skill and creativity alone. I think this swift kick in the ass was a good thing.
Heres what i wrote of at LT's so im not disagreeing.

Our PK sucked, stay out of the box. This all started with a weak call on 83 but the right call. Gotta be a better leader than that. Wonder why Coach wondered away from 4 players killing in game 1? 89 and 91 got ate up on the PK.

Goaltending……… even though our defense was worse in the 1st our tender really has to make the odd big save, when the team needs it. You know what they say about penalty killing, your goalie is the best penalty killer, and we went 0-3 in the first 10 mins.

Coaching, after the 4th goal and watching Dubby fight the puck on long shots he should of been pulled. Would of allowed the team to rally down 4-1 instead of trying to make it through the 1st period and then regrouping there. Although I am impressed at the after the first 2 games hes sticking to letting his best players win or lose games. This is a must this year. The older non core guys can take a back seat.

All that said we still have a better record than Calgary and Vancouver after 2 games. So is it all that bad? We need our PK and goalie to be better, and they both go hand in hand so….. LIke I said, Win with your best and lose with your best, its going to be a awesome year!

GMofOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

As much as last night sucked, not going to overreact yet. Dubnyk has been shaky but he also hasn't played much in a while and he's a guy who improves the more he plays. No preseason games so I'd give him a few more before throwing him under the bus.

Whitney I'm less sure about. He has played even less than Dubnyk and was inconsistent at times even when healthy so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. We will see in another 10 games where he can get to, 2 games isn't enough time.

The 2nd line is scary for all the wrong reasons. They need to improve a lot and quickly or they will be a black hole of +/-.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Shanahanigans

Let's stop over thinking and over analyzing. It was what it was- a stinker of a period. We annihilated the Blackhawks twice last year, and I'm sure they didn't think the sky was falling, and that all top 6 D+ forwards were useless. If this becomes a trend, then I would be worried. But for now, on to the next one. I fully expect a bounce back game vs the Kings. And I think the lack of size/grit complaints in our top 6 are being overblown.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pros and Cons View Post
This is a trait I have witnessed over the last several years (since the Cup run actually). Nice to see that even new personnel from year to year and game after game this has never been curbed. One would expect professional hockey players to correct deficiencies. It makes me cringe to watch NHL hockey players allow the other team to come at them and give them opportunities first, then see what happens with the shot.
To me it seems like they lack a sense of urgency or desire to hold possession instead they opt out and play the cute perimeter and try blocking passing lanes. SJ used this as an opportunity to pass it through our players on countless occasions last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I saw Justin Schultz go into the corner early. Was kinda shocked to be honest.

Thing is we don't have the players to play that style. Not in the top 6 anyways. Jones will do it, Horcoff sometimes does, Smyth will try but is too slow, Prv might this year.

We aren't built to play that rough and tough in the corners or dump and chase style.
Jones will be a nice added addition. As well as Fistric over Potter. He applies a much needed physical presence that can force players like Marleau and Thornton off the puck. I appreciated the fact that Schultz was active in puck pursuit. It's not that we necessarily lack the physicality at times as much as we need the demeanour to corral or possess loose pucks first. We don't have to be rough or tough so to speak but we need to at least show the initiative to have the puck first. We have speed, IQ, quickness and agility to do such. Instead of waiting for the puck to come to them they need a retrieval system.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:30 PM
#ualberta

Ben Eager is not at Oilers practice

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:35 PM
TransJenner

I find it sort of ridiculous that people on the forum here want to chalk this up to anything more than an anomaly. You would think the fact that 6 goals in 1 period, entirely in itself, is an anomaly among the entire NHL and occurs rarely would be an indicator not to grab your pitchforks.

It was an anomaly and probably won't happen again. Yes our defense is mediocre but it is hardly worse than last year. Most of our D havn't played at all during the lockout and are easily the rustiest part of the team, as well as the PK.

TransJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:42 PM
HAMMY5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Ben Eager is not at Oilers practice
Thank Kassian

On another note love the young talent you oilers have going to be fun watching them grow. If not this season it wont be long before Oils back on top.

Good luck to you guys this season and in the future!

HAMMY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
#ualberta

No forward line and defensive pairings are changed from last game

Last edited by 402: 01-23-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Double negative
Old
01-23-2013, 02:51 PM
sandhu111

no changes to the line up at practice today, fistric still skating with extra d pairing, eager not practising

sandhu111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:53 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
Maybe Krueger has a plan for this team to be so soft that the other team gets to comfy and falls asleep .

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Auguste McEscoffier

Yup. The Oilers performed the 'Flying V' last night:

Coach Bombay would be proud:

Auguste McEscoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
I liked the game of the team, especially all of the kids and younger players after the first. The thing that really sucked was all the penalties, it's hard to get something going when they have that much time on the PP including 5 on 3.

We had a ton of chances in the last two periods that could have gone in, there is a lot of panic but I think we outplayed them for the last 2 periods (whether they slowed down or not, we didn't lay down and die). We just got severely outplayed in the first and dug a hole we couldn't get out of. If we can improve our discipline and starts then our games will have better outcomes.

I'm happy there is hockey back right now and not going to worry about us 2 games in. There will be a lot of nights like this over this season (not for us, for every team) as we have seen already.
I don't want to sound like a troll, but lets not kid ourselves, the Oil had chances in the last two periods only because the sharks allowed it, they were basically just having a glorified practice. Nothing in the last two could be taken for true, the Sharks simply decided to allow the play to pan out on it's own, the Oilers didn't take it to them, they looked just as bad in the last two as they did in the first, the only difference was that the Sharks weren't pressing the matter anymore.

Don't take this as hate, I like the Oilers, and live in Edmonton, but nothing about last nights game was ok, with the exception of Yak's shot in the first, that was slick.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:06 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 1176
MPS was okay, but there was a play from him that sticks in my mind that I really hated. Him and Hartikainen are are going up, Harti with the puck on the right, MPS on the left. 2on2 I think. Instead of going to the net like anyone else would, MPS curls right and pulls in behind Harti as if to ask for a drop pass to shoot from a horrible angle with absolutely noone in front of the net. Harti seems to shrug this off and instead fires the puck at the net himself, as if it's a 1on2.

I mean, it's well documented that MPS doesn't like to go to the net with the puck, but he won't even go there without it? Come on. What is wrong with that guy?

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Hockey Nightmare

I think Krueger was reluctant to put Danis in because - let's face it - it's not like he screams "Ready for the big show".

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:09 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Don't really understand the Smyth hate, he seems to be doing what were paying him to do which is play against the other teams top lines and shut them down. As much as I hate Horcoff and want him off the team, I can honestly say that line has been our 2nd best line this year. Also anyone else notice how good Belanger is looking?
Agree for both Smyth and Belanger. They are doing what they are supposed to be doing. They are 3rd and 4th line role players as ES who get some PK time. Not sure what people are expecting from them. Are they elite bottom-6 players? Jesus no, but they are far from terrible.

Belanger looks like a whole different player actually, IMO anyhow. Much better than last year so far.

McJadeddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:09 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
No forward line and defensive pairings are unchanged from last game
Meaning they've all been changed? Or none of them? Not sure if double negative is intentional....

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:10 PM
SephF
Patreeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMY5 View Post
Thank Kassian
Still can't believe he was taunting the crowd after a pretty even tilt.

What a puke.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:11 PM
NeuteredHockeyLeague
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Yup. The Oilers performed the 'Flying V' last night:

Wow if they meant to do that.. Awesome.
If not.. Awesome.

The score was 2-1 some point after that Flying V

NeuteredHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:33 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Meaning they've all been changed? Or none of them? Not sure if double negative is intentional....
No, none of them have been changed they are all the same.
My bad i wrote that way to fast

Last edited by 402: 01-23-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I think Krueger was reluctant to put Danis in because - let's face it - it's not like he screams "Ready for the big show".
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Danis have NHL shutouts. As well as a career .912 SP? Seems like he does his job adequately

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:43 PM
plikestechno

Worried about the lack of system play with two desperate teams coming up. Gotta tighten it up and kick these guys while they're down and have a good start for once.

LA and Calgary on Saturday are both 0 for the season. Would be great to take both but I hope we can get one win out of those with Calgary being the most probable one.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote