HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
1. Kundratek is one of the better players in the AHL and has upside
He hasn't demonstrated anything special in the NHL. Not at hitting, or defending, or rushing the puck. Even Orlov showed things right off the bat. I don't mind having him on the roster but he shouldn't be penciled is as any more than a 7D going forward until he proves otherwise.

Quote:
2. Not much better than Poti or Hamrlik? Have you seen them lately?
Have you seen Leopold. Wonder how soon you're bringing up MAB as the answer to Green's partner.

Quote:
3. I've been watching hockey my whole life
Then I have no idea how you're so clueless on so many basic issues.

Quote:
4. Joel Ward scores one big goal and he's a playoff "clutch"? We're not keeping a player who every time he scores is a major fluke. Most people here agree Joel Ward needs to go
Yes, that's why he's considered clutch. Not like we signed him BECAUSE HE WAS ALREADY CONSIDERED CLUTCH. He also contributed 40% of our offense this season, but that's besides the point. If you don't have the capacity to analyze his game I'm not gonna waste time on you.

Ward is a very useful player in the right setting, I'll just leave it at that. If you can't figure it out that's not my problem.

Quote:
5. John Erskine is a top pairing defenseman? What?!
Maybe your problem isn't that you don't understand hockey but that you don't know how to read.

Quote:
You don't wave your dick around and pick up PK Subban to put on the line with Mike Green. That's just not happening.
The fact that you'd put Subban with Mike Green really tells everyone everything they need to know.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-23-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Joel Ward is one of the players that most Caps fans state are expendable?

Virtually every person that actually has a clue says he needs to perform better or get out? If he hadn't have scored already you'd be saying the same thing?
Well you don't, so there's one.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:06 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
He hasn't demonstrated anything special in the NHL. Not at hitting, or defending, or rushing the puck. Even Orlov showed things right off the bat. I don't mind having him on the roster but he shouldn't be penciled is as any more than a 7D going forward until he proves otherwise.

Have you seen Leopold

Then I have no idea how you're so clueless on so many basic issues.

Yes, that's why he's considered clutch. Not like we signed him BECAUSE HE WAS ALREADY CONSIDERED CLUTCH. He also contributed 40% of our offense this season, but that's besides the point. If you don't have the capacity to analyze his game I'm not gonna waste time on you.

Ward is a very useful player in the right setting, I'll just leave it at that. If you can't figure it out that's not my problem.

Maybe your problem isn't that you don't understand hockey but that you don't know how to read.
You should calm down dude. I made a suggestion and you say "you know nothing about hockey" and "I don't know how to read"

Joel Ward is not clutch lol. He is an overpaid player that can be replaced pretty easily if it wasn't for his contract.

If you want to give him 12 million dollars for a couple playoff goals and some underachieving regular season performances, go for it.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:06 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Well you don't, so there's one.
Again, grow up dude.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
You should calm down dude. I made a suggestion and you say "you know nothing about hockey" and "I don't know how to read"

Joel Ward is not clutch lol. He is an overpaid player that can be replaced pretty easily if it wasn't for his contract.

If you want to give him 12 million dollars for a couple playoff goals and some underachieving regular season performances, go for it.
Do you even know why we signed him in the first place?

HINT: He got 12 million dollars before he scored that playoff goal, which I don't really care about.

He needs to be put with the right players in the right system and he can be very effective. He was in Nashville. He was here in the playoffs (and not just in game 7).

Only thing you're looking at is his regular season production. You might as well complain about Neuvirth because he doesn't put up enough points.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:13 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Do you even know why we signed him in the first place?

HINT: He got 12 million dollars before he scored that playoff goal, which I don't really care about.

He needs to be put with the right players in the right system and he can be very effective. He was in Nashville. He was here in the playoffs (and not just in game 7).

Only thing you're looking at is his regular season production. You might as well complain about Neuvirth because he doesn't put up enough points.
Last time I checked we got past the first round and didn't make the Eastern Conference Final. Again.

If his regular season statistics are crap and he can be a liability, there is no reason to pay him that much.

Joel Ward, Jeff Schultz need to go and we need to add another forward and a defenseman. The sooner we can all agree on that, including Mr. McPhee, the closer we come to actually winning.

I threw in Chimera because you could get true value out of him in a package deal. Like top 6 value.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Play nice guys. A Colaicovo-Leopold pairing patrolling our blueline would make us unstoppable.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:17 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Play nice guys. A Colaicovo-Leopold pairing patrolling our blueline would make us unstoppable.
You'll see, you'll see..

Old
01-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Last time I checked we got past the first round and didn't make the Eastern Conference Final. Again.

If his regular season statistics are crap and he can be a liability, there is no reason to pay him that much.

Joel Ward, Jeff Schultz need to go and we need to add another forward and a defenseman. The sooner we can all agree on that, including Mr. McPhee, the closer we come to actually winning.
Yes, and that's all on Joel Ward. You know, the guy who actually got us past the first round. What's your logic here? We didn't get to the ECF so trade one of the guys that played well? Let me guess, something must be done, moving Joel Ward is something, therefore it must be done.

His regular season statistics are crap because he's a third liner on a dysfunctional team. If Joel Ward's stat output is the difference between making the playoffs or not Joel Ward is not in the top 5 biggest problems with your team. He's less of a liability than most of the players we have. Put him with Hendricks and Beagle and that line could play at a dependable third line level and pin anyone their up against in their own zone for extended periods of time. Put him with Chimera and Johansson and he could do all the boardwork for them while cleaning up broken plays by shadowing them any time they rush the puck with their speed. He's the best player along the boards we have by a fair margin, and one who doesn't hesitate to go to the net and generally picks up after himself defensively. Put him in a situation where he can rely on those qualities and he'll be a very helpful player.

He's overpaid for what he brings in the regular season, and I don't mind trading him if we need cap space to accomodate a better player. But he's one of the few players we have that actually gets playoffs.

Of course, if you just care about regular season stats he's the first guy you'd be looking to trade. We could bring in a bunch of Sam Gagners and Clarke MacArthurs and totally light it up.

Schultz need to go, has for like 5 years now, but lumping him in with Ward is disingenious. One is a prototypical playoff hockey third liner. One is a flake who holds the whole team back every time he's on the ice.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:21 PM
HTFN

What is going on here?

Old
01-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:
I did and I don't care if he is a nerd haha.

I understand he'll be gone next year if McPhee wants it. That's why I am not saying to trade him. You wouldn't get much value out of him at all at his age and injury history.

The players i'm saying to trade are the likes of Jeff Schultz and Joel Ward. Which is completely understandable knowing their history.

I don't know why McPhee also signed Joel Ward to his contract either. It was and still is a huge leap.
I just want to know why Poti's "high salary" is relevant.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:22 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post

What is going on here?
I suggested that Joel Ward and Jeff Schultz should go and someone disagrees with me for some reason.

I said we could get a mid-aged defenseman to help our boys out like a Leopold. Which apparently was met with boos.

Although I have heard no other suggestions in pick-ups.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:24 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I just want to know why Poti's "high salary" is relevant.
He doesn't deserve the money. That's not why I dont' think he'll be back though.

I'm willing to bet my house that Hamrlik and Poti are gone next year.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
I suggested that Joel Ward and Jeff Schultz should go and someone disagrees with me for some reason.

I said we could get a mid-aged defenseman to help our boys out like a Leopold. Which apparently was met with boos.

Although I have heard no other suggestions in pick-ups.
Pickups for what? Stopping the bleeding this season to the point where we can make the playoffs and then get nailed? Or pickups for the long term.

Leopold would (I hope to god at least) be an only for this season acquisition. If he costs a 3rd or less it may be worth exploring, but he probably does not. Volchenkov and Tallinder both provide higher levels of defensive play and could probably be had cheaper, Volchenkov especially. That's 2.

If we're looking long term, probably go all in for Smid in FA, maybe Scuderi. That's about the best fix we can get.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

Quote:
He doesn't deserve the money. That's not why I dont' think he'll be back though.

I don't think you can legally bet something your parents own.

Poti's contract was bad because of his injury (but then inconsequential in cap terms for the same reason). It was signed needlessly early, but at the time Poti was coming off an outstanding performance in the playoffs against Montreal. He "deserved" the money based on his play. He also took a pay cut from $3.5M to sign it.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Halpysback

Quote:

Not exactly a reach.

We're merely trying to point out that Leopold is roughly the same level of player, and if we're looking to improve we should be looking elsewhere.

I'd be fine with signing him as a 5D to pair with Orlov/Green assuming we get another good 3D to pair with Green/Orlov

Old
01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Pickups for what? Stopping the bleeding this season to the point where we can make the playoffs and then get nailed? Or pickups for the long term.

Leopold would (I hope to god at least) be an only for this season acquisition. If he costs a 3rd or less it may be worth exploring, but he probably does not. Volchenkov and Tallinder both provide higher levels of defensive play and could probably be had cheaper, Volchenkov especially. That's 2.

If we're looking long term, probably go all in for Smid in FA. That's about the best fix we can get.
I'm talking about someone we could pick up this season, not in Free Agency.

There is no way the Devils get rid of Volchenkov for any of our players. Especially since Zidlicky is apparently struggling.

You wouldn't have to give up the world for a notable defenseman. If you want a Superstar you won't get one. Leopold is alot better than a Poti. Look up stats and highlights. Plus Poti will be gone, like I said, and even if he stayed he only has several good seasons left in him.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I only see four posts on this page.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:33 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I don't think you can legally bet something your parents own.

Poti's contract was bad because of his injury (but then inconsequential in cap terms for the same reason). It was signed needlessly early, but at the time Poti was coming off an outstanding performance in the playoffs against Montreal. He "deserved" the money based on his play. He also took a pay cut from $3.5M to sign it.
Good one.

And I still disagree with you, but each to his own.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:35 PM
HTFN

Why get rid of Joel Ward? Even when you never notice him, he's not usually having actively bad games. He chips in every night, and works hard. Like someone else said, he's among the best on the boards (and was in Nashville too, something their fans talked about consistently when we signed him), and has multiple years of good playoff performances, which is somewhat of a rarity on this team as you're so keen to note.

Schultz, well, you're not saying anything that anyone else hasn't been saying for two years, so the hockey messiah act is a little intriguing.

Plus, no thanks on Leopold. Having seen him in years past, it's really not worth it. There's no sense in trading other assets because the guy hits about as much as Schultz does as it is. If you're going to bring in a new player, don't make it more of the same. Even though he's not as poor all-around as Schultz, he doesn't make the team any harder to play against.

EDIT: I thought he had two years left, not one. I still don't do it because I'm not exactly sure he brings enough to the table, but it makes the "assets" talk kind of moot, because it wouldn't be much. I'd rather see what else was available, but if it was that or Schultz come playoff time, that's an easier call.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
I'm talking about someone we could pick up this season, not in Free Agency.

There is no way the Devils get rid of Volchenkov for any of our players. Especially since Zidlicky is apparently struggling.

You wouldn't have to give up the world for a notable defenseman. If you want a Superstar you won't get one. Leopold is alot better than a Poti. Look up stats and highlights.
Devils have an absolute ton of NHL ready or NHL capable defensemen and Volchenkov's style isn't a particularly good fit. Lou may jump at the opportunity to move a guy making 4.25 million with an NTC who's playing a bottom pairing role. Especially since they're struggling financially. I know people will say Oates uses the same style, blah blah blah, but I think if we put him in a physical, defense-first role with Green or Orlov (especially Orlov) and tell him to forget offense he'd shine here.

Leopold could be a decent stopgap for a 3rd or so, but that's all he is. Biggest single gain is getting Schultz off the roster. 2nd biggest will be getting Orlov back.

Ultimately, Leopold is more or less pre-injury Tom Poti with a better slapshot and worse defense.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
MW6

So, Tom "the ten train" Wilson got suspended for 5 games in the OHL, maybe the Caps should bring him up and use 4 games without burning a year of his contract so he doesn't miss valuable playing time season. It could be a good experience for him to get a taste of what it's like!

Old
01-23-2013, 03:41 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
So, Tom "the ten train" Wilson got suspended for 5 games in the OHL, maybe the Caps should bring him up and use 4 games without burning a year of his contract so he doesn't miss valuable playing time season. It could be a good experience for him to get a taste of what it's like!
What did he do?

Old
01-23-2013, 03:47 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

TRADE BEAGLE!!!

Oh wait no he had a good game so he's cool now TRADE EVERYONE ELSE!!!

Old
01-23-2013, 03:48 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
TRADE BEAGLE!!!

Oh wait no he had a good game so he's cool now TRADE EVERYONE ELSE!!!
You do not amuse me.

Closed Thread