HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to panic yet?

Old
01-23-2013, 02:51 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=toughfighter83;58167799]
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
were not making any major moves with this offense. their gonna sleep in this bed for at least this season. this is a team made mostly of kids, remember. we basically rebuilt after 2010. i'm impatient too but look at the oilers. they should be lighten it up too and their not. i think we will tho. we'll have one of those floodgate games and then we'll be off and running.[/QUOTE

that's why edmonton is bad because they are relying on young players, flyers did the same thing in 06, look what they did in the offseason after their bad season:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2..._Flyers_season,
they signed and traded for vets and got them to conference finals.

you telling me that they just sitting and waiting will make this team better with this roster?
no. i'm saying relax, its a party. I'm only selling hooch on thursdays. no, I'm saying don't blame lavi or homer yet. i am a little disturbed by how awesome jagr looks right now but other than that i think we'll pull this together. its a chemistry thing. finding the right combos. the defense and the goalie have been fine, its the lack of quality up front. were getting shots but a lot are just lobs at the net. i'm still convinced we should be at least 1 and 2 cause we got robbed sunday.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:58 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

No.

But Lavi better be doing his best at reviewing tapes and adjusting strategies.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Qyburn

I have a strong feeling the combination of the mounting pressure with going up against the hated and overrated Rangers will do the trick. Lavi will own Torts tomorrow night.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:18 PM
SAINDON

With the nucleus we have, we will be pretty sweet in 2-3 years. We're just rebuilding and hopefully if a few pucks drop our way we can get past the first round.

SAINDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Mgkibbles

I'm a little worried because I expected Couturier and Schenn to play really well this year, especially since they've had the advantage of playing competitive games all season; but they haven't, and no other forwards on the team have stepped up to replace the goals lost from Jagr and JVR. Other than the inapt scoring though, I've been very happy with the defense and Bryz so far. Appear to be much improved since last year.

Also, I hope special teams gets figured out before it becomes an ingrained mental issue, similar to how goals against in the first few minutes of games became last season.

Still expecting a Playoff appearance.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:33 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
With the nucleus we have, we will be pretty sweet in 2-3 years. We're just rebuilding and hopefully if a few pucks drop our way we can get past the first round.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:45 PM
DrHamburg

I'll help you guys out. No it's not time to panic yet. You could argue after a shaky start the flyers outplayed the penguins. The buffalo game was wonky, its hard to use that as a sample game. And the Devils outplayed the flyers bad. So out of 3 games, only 1 wasn't winnable. I'd say, that's not bad at all.

Now I'd say the main priority right now it getting the offense going. Not having Danny B in there somewhat hurts. He has considerable value to this team, he is someone who plays his role in the regular season pretty effectively even when not scoring goals. Juggling Lines, staying out of the penalty box will happen. Increasing the Flyers 5 v 5. No time to panic.

I promise, flyers wont average 1 goal a game the rest of the season. You're welcome!

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Not having Danny B in there somewhat hurts. He has considerable value to this team, he is someone who plays his role in the regular season pretty effectively even when not scoring goals.
The Briere detractors won't be convinced (caveat..I'm not one of them).

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:57 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
The Briere detractors won't be convinced (caveat..I'm not one of them).
I know, But there is a clear difference from thinking he shouldn't be on the team, to thinking he shouldn't be on the team because of his cap hit. Should he be bought out later to make cap room for coots, giroux, and schenn? Yes, but the he has considerable value this season to the Flyers.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:48 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I know, But there is a clear difference from thinking he shouldn't be on the team, to thinking he shouldn't be on the team because of his cap hit. Should he be bought out later to make cap room for coots, giroux, and schenn? Yes, but the he has considerable value this season to the Flyers.
i agree with what your saying except the we got massively outplayed by the devils thing. we didn't. they got some nice lucky bounces. first goal was slapped at the net and stopped like it was a pass an inch from bryz's pads which turned into a deke. that never happens. one was a penalty shot from kovalchuck. come on. we were all over them in the first period. they had like 2 shots. after losing the first two we gave up. our compete level blew from there on in. its turning into a confidence thing now which is the worst kinda thing to deal with. this is were laviolette earns his money. btw, what new york are you? islanders or scum bags? I'm sorry.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Kind of confused with what Lavy is supposed to do. He did not have the personnel last season, just managed to get enough offense. Now we've lost offense and replaced it a strategy of 'hope Couturier comes out like gangbusters.'

Losing Carle, (and I've brought this point up a few times), the season hinged on Erik Gustafsson replacing him. He's not even on the team right now, yet behold, we are 0-3.

Lavy's going to get fired because the Shea Weber offer sheet didn't work. That's really what this is going to come down too, because Ed Snider will get too antsy to let this play out.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Carle alone isn't the solution unless we had gotten Weber to pair him with though. His terrible shot made him one dimensional offensively, which made him easy to defend. The pass was his only realistic option, and all defenders did was make sure he only had the wing or his partner as pass options; and when his partner wasn't Pronger, it's not like they were a huge threat offensively. If we still have Carle we're probably still 0-3. He's a complementary guy, not a a go-to guy.

He actually produced points at a lower rate than Coburn, but got more total points because he had more ice time since Coburn was saved for the opponent's top 6. The team overall produced at a lower rate when Carle was on the ice leading a D pairing.

01-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Lavy's going to get fired because the Shea Weber offer sheet didn't work. That's really what this is going to come down too, because Ed Snider will get too antsy to let this play out.
I think you're right and it really is annoying. Snider's the best but Lavi shouldn't have to take the heat for Homer's across-the-board failures. I'm not even particularly mad at homer - you can't always get what you want - but if there has to be a fall guy it should be him and not the coach.

On the other hand he could save himself, and I still think that's what'll happen. He'll need to be quick though as revenue loss tends to give owners itchy trigger fingers. Snider's probably desperate for a playoff appearance after the lockout.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Viller

I'm not panicking but I can bet Holmgren is. Hes done many panicky moves before for less than whats going on right now...

edit: With Hartnell out, we have one legit top line foward.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
While I did go off on my usual Carle rant, I do think much of what you said is bang on GKJ. THere's also this:

Beginning with the 2011 offseason, continuing through last year and last offseason, Homer has slowly transitioned the defense from what Lavi's system needs to one that is incompatible. It's easier to replace the coach than replace the players. We have Murray on the Phantoms, who can probably work with the defense. His system utterly stifled offense in LA though.

Sucks for Lavy because it's not really his fault, but it is what it is. We'll have to see if he's willing to adjust.

Edit: but it's kinda pointless to have a coach who wants hard forechecking if half the team isn't fast enough for his system.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-23-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:52 PM
toughfighter83*

besides giroux, does laughton have a heavy shot?

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:58 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
With Harts looking to be out 2 months, yes it's time to panic. Someone cut Holmers phone and Internet , panic trade on the horizon.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Carle alone isn't the solution unless we had gotten Weber to pair him with though. His terrible shot made him one dimensional offensively, which made him easy to defend. The pass was his only realistic option, and all defenders did was make sure he only had the wing or his partner as pass options; and when his partner wasn't Pronger, it's not like they were a huge threat offensively. If we still have Carle we're probably still 0-3. He's a complementary guy, not a a go-to guy.

He actually produced points at a lower rate than Coburn, but got more total points because he had more ice time since Coburn was saved for the opponent's top 6. The team overall produced at a lower rate when Carle was on the ice leading a D pairing.
That's not entirely correct. BSH has made the point numerous times that Carle was actually better without Pronger. Last year, the list of defensemen with 35 points and 100 blocked shots is as follows: Matt Carle. End of list.

He is ideally a 2/3. It may be complimentary, but it's still pretty damn important.

Coburn played with Timonen most of the year (Carle being most of what isn't most of), while Carle got to play with Marc-Andre Bourdon, seen as having been admirable as a replacement-level player. And Bourdon may be a bit better than that, I'd say he deserves the opportunty, but he can't get on the ice, so it's irrelevant at the time. However, that's going to affect the QoT, and no defenseman had a better 5v5 QoT than Coburn. That's not to say that he isn't good, but he was in position to look better offensively. Carle had to make sure a rookie defensemen didn't fail all over himself.

Carle had a better 5v5 P/60 than Coburn, the big difference being 5v5 A2/60. Only Giroux had a better 5v5 A2/60 rate on the whole team, and he was 2nd in the league in (total) assists. Carle was 7th in the league in 5v5 A2/60 among defensemen >50GP.

Now, it's all well and good if they were replacing Carle's minutes and production with someone. Luke Schenn is close on A2/60 (best defenseman on the Leafs), but he had sheltered minutes for the most part, and played for the Leafs, so he was still not very good. The other issue is what you're still trying to replace Pronger, too. Weber would have been worth in that role, but he's not here. So, now you're trying to hope Foster and Schenn combine to not be an abject failure in it.

The next man up is Gustafsson. Gus has been referred to as Timonen's eventual replacement, but I think that's a little too ambitious. Enough people here think their dog would be a better defenseman than Carle, but the guy who was to replace his minutes isn't currently on the roster. That's sort of the core issue here, because that's the role set up for him, and not only is he not here to serve it, but he was also replaced on the roster. And the team seemed content having Bruno Gervais take his spot. Gus' numbers reek of favorable puck luck despite having the best GF ON/60, his On Ice S% was almost 12% last year (obscene), while Kubina and Coburn were the only other ones above 9% (while Coburn was more than 1.5% better than Carle - and that's excluding all of Carle's blocked shots).

They've replaced a 20-minute defenseman with nobody. For a team that needs a defensemen. He is only one man, but I bet the majority of people in this thread who are entertaining panic mode are the same people who celebrated Carle's departure. You want, you got it. We're chasing defensemen not available via trade, firing the coach, and entertaining the thought of Seth Jones going to another team because someone else won the draft lottery.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:03 PM
SuchySays

yeah, i'm definitely hitting the panic button now. we are done.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
With Harts looking to be out 2 months
Where'd you get that figure? OK now I'm scared.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:24 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I'd rather just play with what we have rather than overpay in a panic trade

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

If Hartnell is out for a while, and it turns out this season is going to hell in a handbasket (not meaning today, just in a month or so), I just hope the team accepts it. Don't try to make miracles in order just to make the playoffs in a year where you shouldn't. Didn't work the first time.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:47 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Next thing you know, Lavy will announce he will convert Briere to be our new shutdown center

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:49 PM
SuchySays

We are so ****ed..

Rangers flying against Boston.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
My answer is no. I think that this team will be a solid team going forward even if we lose to the rags on thursday. The thing that makes me panic is our defense in the next few years...

We all see how our defense is playing this year. Last year we couldnt stop anybody from hanging out in front of our net, this year the problem seems to be the mobility of the defense and their ability to make a solid outlet pass. If kimmo leaves next year, what the hell do we do? We are kind of already shy at wing depth, possibly (not that i agree with it but) briere being bought out, where does this team go in the future?

I think gostisbehere will be great and protected in this new nhl, but hes at least 2 years away. What can we possibly do? I dont see us making a big splash of a trade for a defensemen seeing at how thin we are on the wings if we swap some of them for just one defencemen. Maybe we can sign corey perry this offseason then maybe ship out voracek? I honestly dont see us in good shape defensively after this year. I really dont want to trade any of our forwards.

Thoughts?
I agree with you. We have a good core of young players and I would like to see them grow together. I for one would not want to see any of them moved. This may turn out to be another 2006-2007 season but lets see how this turns out. If down the road we do not improve in the standings then maybe I would move older players for younger players or picks. But that is for another time. If Perry hits the FA market he will command major major bucks so I do not see happening. Hang in there and hope that the boys put in a good effort and beat the rags Thursday.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote