HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I would, the price (salary/cap) is high for our core, but worse things have happened. It'd be tough to get him and force someone like Higgins or Booth out is all.

Advantages of having our core players sign cheap deals Seriously, Edler...wow. Kesler, Sedin, Sedin, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison and either or both goalies...Gillis as our lawyer-GM rules.

Kuli isn't undesirable, but I personally believe he isn't valuable enough to carry the weight of the trade by himself. Aside from the usual non-offerables (Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Rielly, Lupul now), who's free? Kadri+Kuli+pick would be something for us, but that's awfully lofty for a proposal given the past trade proposals that have been hatched here.
Well, before the season started i would have done Kuli,Kadri 2nd. That's because i thought Kadri would be a winger. Now that he is playing center.....not so much.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
Buyout Ballard and Booth*

Forwards
Sedin $6.1 - Sedin $6.1 - Burrows 4.5
Jensen .90 - Kesler 5.0 - Kassian .87
Hansen 1.35 - X(Schroeder?) - X
4th Liner (Around .75M) - 4th Liner (Around .75M)) - Weise (Around .75M-1M)
Spare Forward (.75)

Defense
Edler 5.0 - Garrison 4.6
Bieksa 4.6 - Hamhuis 4.5
Tanev 1.25-1.5 - X(1.5)
7th Defenseman(1-1.25M)
8th Defenseman (Around .75M)

Goalies
Schneider 4.0
Lack .75

So That's 56M with two spots open on the 3rd line and a spot open on the 2nd line(If Jensen not ready,Assuming Booth Bought out).

I expect the two 3rd liner to by paid each (1.5-2M), Which leaves 4-4.5 for that 2nd liner.
Keep Booth if his replacement doesn't come via trade, bump Kassian to line 3, or Jensen, or whomever, and resign Higgins and Lapierre for 2.5 and 1.5 (instead of 2+2)each on a one year deal. Hell, even resign Manny for cheap (say for the 1.5 you're throwing at a spare defender and cheap out a little there) as our spare forward.

Boom, roster stays together.

Defender X, #7 and #8 could all be reclamation projects signed for cheap too, or one or two of our own prospects cycling in and out.

Not even implausible any more. I like it.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:53 PM
SiCKNESS

Quote:
Advantages of having our core players sign cheap deals Seriously, Edler...wow. Kesler, Sedin, Sedin, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison and either or both goalies...Gillis as our lawyer-GM rules.
we may have to deal Burrows or Edler if the Sedins ask for raises after their contracts expire, they're the only two high paid players without NMC and/or NTCs.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:55 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD12 View Post
Except you know, Lu has consistently played at a much higher level than Bryz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Works in theory. Fortunately, Luongo is a significantly better goalie than Bryzgalov, thus making his contract easier to swallow.

Except not....

In the two years prior to Philly acquiring Bryz:

2009/2010: Bryz: 9.20 GAA Luongo: .913
2010/2011: Bryz: 9.21 GAA Luongo: .928

People forget, taht before Bryz's recent run, he was considered a very consistent and high end goalie, hence the contract. I would be absolutely shocked to see Philly make that same gamble twice.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:56 PM
SiCKNESS

Quote:
Keep Booth if his replacement doesn't come via trade, bump Kassian to line 3, or Jensen, or whomever, and resign Higgins and Lapierre for 2.5 and 1.5 (instead of 2+2)each on a one year deal. Hell, even resign Manny for cheap (say for the 1.5 you're throwing at a spare defender and cheap out a little there) as our spare forward.

Defender X, #7 and #8 could all be reclamation projects signed for cheap too, or one or two of our own prospects cycling in and out.

not remotley correct. First 2.5+1.5 for Higgs and Lappy = the 2M for the 3rd liners I was talking about anyways. For the 6th and 7th Defender theres no doubt Gillis will pay 1-1.5M for them, they'll be the Andrew Alberts of that year.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Well, before the season started i would have done Kuli,Kadri 2nd. That's because i thought Kadri would be a winger. Now that he is playing center.....not so much.
As I said, it's a tough sell, and we've talked circles around what would and should be offered. I'd say Kulemin+1st+Connolly too, but that first is likely stuffed between Lupul and Rielly on that unofferables list.

We could get you Nabokov or DP for cheap though, cut you guys a little deal once the enivitable Niederreiter/Lu deal goes through Jokes, jokes, I am not convinced NYI is the team.

Well, Kulemin+...what would your plus be, if it was upto you?

Old
01-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
As I said, it's a tough sell, and we've talked circles around what would and should be offered. I'd say Kulemin+1st+Connolly too, but that first is likely stuffed between Lupul and Rielly on that unofferables list.

We could get you Nabokov or DP for cheap though, cut you guys a little deal once the enivitable Niederreiter/Lu deal goes through Jokes, jokes, I am not convinced NYI is the team.

Well, Kulemin+...what would your plus be, if it was upto you?
Lets see, Kuli,Finn 2nd?
Kuli,Biggs 2nd?

Tobe honest...Kuli,Connolly and a 1st is almost tempting.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:59 PM
SiCKNESS

Quote:

Corrardo makin the team would help as his cap hit is about 600k, especially if he was our 6th Defenseman, that would save 1-1.5 for those two years, where we could THEN keep Booth until his contract expires. But the lack of Guys on ELCs making our team really hurts. Well only have 1 most likely(Kassian). Theyll prob get Jensen to spend a year in the AHL.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:01 PM
RECsGuy*

Any new Tweets/reports regarding the Luongo saga?

Old
01-23-2013, 05:01 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
It really does look bad for the Canucks for next season, Hopefully the Sedin resign for 5.5M-5.75M.

If they ask for a raise, they're no way the Canucks can keep them, even with the Cap rumors to go up the year they expire, unless they deal Burrows OR Even Edler, who are the only two high paid players without NTCs or NMCs.
well, with Malhotra, Ballard, and Raymond being expendable (possbily even Booth if we get desprate) I think we'll be fine. Dont see the Sedins asking for 6 +

Old
01-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
we may have to deal Burrows or Edler if the Sedins ask for raises after their contracts expire, they're the only two high paid players without NMC and/or NTCs.
Hey, anything's possible. The Sedins will be, what, 34, 35 at that time though? It'd be hard to imagine a huge raise at that time. A raise, certainly, but, say, upwards of 7.5-8? I don't know about that. Besides, the cap should be coming close to the current ceiling, in 2 years time mind you, by my (admittedly amature) calculations any way.

Quote:
not remotley correct. First 2.5+1.5 for Higgs and Lappy = the 2M for the 3rd liners I was talking about anyways. For the 6th and 7th Defender theres no doubt Gillis will pay 1-1.5M for them, they'll be the Andrew Alberts of that year
Bolded: Yes, sorry, that is exactly what I meant. I didn't mean we'd save money, rather that for two third liners, why not the monsters we know?

Underlined: Totally possible, but for sentimental/locker room reasons, I'd rather spend that money on Malhotra. Guys appairently a huge leader in the room. Alberts and his 1.225 haven't performed as well as we'd all hoped after the signing was announced, but I don't think we'd do much better in the free agency pool, and I'd hope we go cheaper (Corrado, for example, on our bottom pairing, or K-Conn, or even Sauve).

Quote:
Corrardo makin the team would help as his cap hit is about 600k, especially if he was our 6th Defenseman, that would save 1-1.5 for those two years, where we could THEN keep Booth until his contract expires. But the lack of Guys on ELCs making our team really hurts. Well only have 1 most likely(Kassian). Theyll prob get Jensen to spend a year in the AHL.
Corrado, Jensen, Schreoder, even Gaunce or this year's presumed pick. ELCs are key, Kassian is a boon too. Rodin, Connauton and Sauve I don't want to completely rule out either. I thought Jensen looked ready last year, but that was preseason after all.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:03 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
but but but you guys cant have a stable cap and not be forced to move players for nothing

You did notice that lineup has Booth, Luongo, and Ballard removed from it. According to the poster both Booth and Ballard have been bought out, so that is actually moving them for less than nothing.

The lineup also relies on Kassian, Schroeder, and Jensen all securing spots in the top 9, with Kassian and Jensen securing top 6 spots. Also, the kind of 4th line you sign where all 3 players are at or near the league minimum is not good.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Except not....

People forget, taht before Bryz's recent run, he was considered a very consistent and high end goalie, hence the contract. I would be absolutely shocked to see Philly make that same gamble twice.
The Tippett effect, your argument is invalid. But seriously, way to cherry pick stats; Luongo has put up elite numbers in both Vancouver and Florida, over a much longer period of time than Bryz. Every goalie has better stats in Dave Tippett's system though, same goes for Hitchcock. Luongo's 06-07 stats were in a very defensive, boring system as well.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Except not....

Sure, when you cherry pick. Lu has been consistent longer and played in highly offensive systems dependent on his ability to handle a plethora of shots on a given average. It is no coincidence Bryzgalov struggled only after he left Phoenix - the same team that make Smith look good.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:05 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

one canucks goalie gets hurt and this thread is closed

Old
01-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Lets see, Kuli,Finn 2nd?
Kuli,Biggs 2nd?

Tobe honest...Kuli,Connolly and a 1st is almost tempting.
Finn I'd like.

Biggs I really could go either way on...I'm not a big fan of his.

Well Kuli+1st and a cap dump isn't about as low as I can go. For all the crap Kulemin gets, and even my stance on him being a redundant asset, I think we could put him to use in place of someone like Weise on our third line (although I didn't like his game, his overall time here has merited the promotion to line three tonight).

I'll count the Kulemin/Connolly/1st deal as a maybe, I'm probably about to be set on fire by some fellow Canucks fans though.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Lundqvist gets injured and New York's season may be over.

You're straw manning here.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Finn I'd like.

Biggs I really could go either way on...I'm not a big fan of his.

Well Kuli+1st and a cap dump isn't about as low as I can go. For all the crap Kulemin gets, and even my stance on him being a redundant asset, I think we could put him to use in place of someone like Weise on our third line (although I didn't like his game, his overall time here has merited the promotion to line three tonight).

I'll count the Kulemin/Connolly/1st deal as a maybe, I'm probably about to be set on fire by some fellow Canucks fans though.
Well I do not outright hate it, it does feel underwhelming. Considering Connolly was not claimed off waivers. I cannot see him in any trades. If it were a young asset with Kulemin and a first, then we might have something.

I do agree with you on Biggs. He is basically an inferior Kassian as far as I'm concerned.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
A Sedin out and our season is over too. Or Hamhuis. Or Edler. Or Kesler....oh wait

Old
01-23-2013, 05:13 PM
SiCKNESS

Quote:
Hey, anything's possible. The Sedins will be, what, 34, 35 at that time though? It'd be hard to imagine a huge raise at that time. A raise, certainly, but, say, upwards of 7.5-8? I don't know about that. Besides, the cap should be coming close to the current ceiling, in 2 years time mind you, by my (admittedly amature) calculations any way.

Bolded: Yes, sorry, that is exactly what I meant. I didn't mean we'd save money, rather that for two third liners, why not the monsters we know?

Underlined: Totally possible, but for sentimental/locker room reasons, I'd rather spend that money on Malhotra. Guys appairently a huge leader in the room. Alberts and his 1.225 haven't performed as well as we'd all hoped after the signing was announced, but I don't think we'd do much better in the free agency pool, and I'd hope we go cheaper (Corrado, for example, on our bottom pairing, or K-Conn, or even Sauve).
Probably is, we have too much Depth on D and not enough Quality. We spend 18.6M on our top 4 Defense...
Look at teams like Nashville(12.5), New York Rangers(11.3), STL(10.25)
We could easily just have a Stud Defenseman and some decent ones and save that 3-5M on offense, I mean we already have a great goalie Schneider. Or we could have a lot of depth like NYR and STL. If you look at those teams, they all have great teams.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Well I do not outright hate it, it does feel underwhelming. Considering Connolly was not claimed off waivers. I cannot see him in any trades. If it were a young asset with Kulemin and a first, then we might have something.
Well, it's more a service to get that pick up to a first, as I think it would suit us much better then a second, as high or low as it might be this year. Connolly holds just above no value to me in a trade, but I think we could get him to work here if Shredder doesn't work out on that third line. Worst case scenario, we let him go via waivers or simply scratch him and let him walk come July.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Grabovski cap hit is too high for Vancouver. I don't get it though, Grabovski is one of your most valuable forwards, only behind Kessel and Lupul. Why not trade wingers, an organizational strength, like Kulemin or JVR? It's not like they have produced this year yet and both had bad years previous to this.
Don't like giving Kulemin up just based on his defensive play. If we drafted first and got Nate, our center position suddenly would look solid but that's why I said if we got him or Barkov. Otherwise, no way is deal Grabo. Nate would be a perfect center for Kessel and Lupul. But not sure we'd finish bad enough to get him or that Canucks wait that long.

Top 6 of:

Lupul - Nate - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Kulemin

Would be solid. Then Lu in nets. But I don't see us being bad enough to get him, nor Canucks waiting to deal him. But that's why I'd think about Grabo and I also figured cap hits made sence but forgot Canucks want to trim salary.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Probably is, we have too much Depth on D and not enough Quality. We spend 18.6M on our top 4 Defense...
Look at teams like Nashville(12.5), New York Rangers(11.3), STL(10.25)
We could easily just have a Stud Defenseman and some decent ones and save that 3-5M on offense, I mean we already have a great goalie Schneider. Or we could have a lot of depth like NYR and STL. If you look at those teams, they all have great teams.
I absolutely agree that the teams you listed have great defenders for their cap hits, but my problem is that our team isn't built like that. Our top 4 guys gorge themselves on minutes and our 3rd line might see 12 minutes a night if not for Ballard. That and we'd have to sell the farm for a super star defender like St. Louis or Nashville, or build from the draft and develop like mad like New York. New York, given a few years, will likely be in the same position we are in, the difference being is that have most of their top 4 (all?) through drafting and 2 of our came via free agency, and we didn't get those cheap years from them.

If we were to change the direction a bit, having Corrado and Tanev paired with vets like Edler and Garrison would give us depth, and also help them reach their ceiling faster as well.

These two points, and we simply don't have that anchor to tie our defense around. We don't have the quality on D, so we have to make due with some very good quantity (no true and established super star, but 4 first pairing D of various skills).

Old
01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan1 View Post
I was listening to Sirius/XM Radio's Center Ice this morning at work. On the morning show, "Hockey This Morning", they were talking about this "potential deal" that Vancouver GM Mike Gillis said yesterday... if you missed the quote...

Quote:
We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have and its not who anybody thinks it is and so we have to wait." - GM Mike Gillis (via Puck Daddy; http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...4501--nhl.html)
Anyway, on the morning show, they had Pete Weber on and he said that "the unknown team is the Columbus Blue Jackets", and that the deal revolves around a forward and probably Mason. I've been hunting for a transcript of this, but thus far have been unsuccessful...

Say it ain't so!
Took this from the Jackets board...

Old
01-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Took this from the Jackets board...
Nifty. Which forward, and are we flipping Mason? Anisimov would be stellar, or Dubinksy...but they just rode into town.....a prospect mayhaps?

Closed Thread