HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 6-3 : Yak and Schultz score their 1st NHL goals

Old
01-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Worried about the lack of system play with two desperate teams coming up. Gotta tighten it up and kick these guys while they're down and have a good start for once.

LA and Calgary on Saturday are both 0 for the season. Would be great to take both but I hope we can get one win out of those with Calgary being the most probable one.
Side note on that game, Flames get Hudler and Czervenka back for that tilt, gonna be a fun one to watch I think.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:50 PM
#ualberta

To be clear this doesn't mean tomorrow nights lineup will be the same coach krueger said he'll assess the lineup and look at potential changes.

@EdmontonOilers: Head Coach Ralph Krueger says he will "assess his lineup and possibly make some changes" for Thursday's game.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Still can't believe he was taunting the crowd after a pretty even tilt.

What a puke.
Technically the point of an NHL fight is to fire up your team, and I think Kassian deserved a celebration he fought someone 30lbs heavier and arguably won the fight.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:16 PM
SephF
Patreeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
Technically the point of an NHL fight is to fire up your team, and I think Kassian deserved a celebration he fought someone 30lbs heavier and arguably won the fight.
So you think the winner of fights should taunt at the crowd? This isn't WWF, have a little respect.

Last edited by SixthSens: 01-23-2013 at 04:28 PM.
SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:27 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
To be clear this doesn't mean tomorrow nights lineup will be the same coach krueger said he'll assess the lineup and look at potential changes.

@EdmontonOilers: Head Coach Ralph Krueger says he will "assess his lineup and possibly make some changes" for Thursday's game.
Granted that I would be okay staying with the same lineup next game, what would be the point in changing the lines on gameday? Would think getting Fistric practicing with Whitney or whoever would be a benefit.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
He obviously got the worst of it, sucks for him that he's prone to concussions especially given his play style.

So you think the winner of fights should taunt at the crowd? This isn't WWF, have a little respect.
Winning a fight to a fighter is liking scoring a goal to a goal scorer, he did his job now he's celebrating, rarely do you hear someone complaining over a goal scorer in an away game jumping into the glass when essentially what they are doing is taunting the crowd. I don't know how you can condone one but not the other, if Eager didn't want his fans taunted he should have won, just the same as if the team was scored on and was upset about the celebration, well you should have stopped him from scoring.

Edit: I don't mean you condone as in you specifically, but hockey fans as a whole.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:38 PM
nabob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
MPS was okay, but there was a play from him that sticks in my mind that I really hated. Him and Hartikainen are are going up, Harti with the puck on the right, MPS on the left. 2on2 I think. Instead of going to the net like anyone else would, MPS curls right and pulls in behind Harti as if to ask for a drop pass to shoot from a horrible angle with absolutely noone in front of the net. Harti seems to shrug this off and instead fires the puck at the net himself, as if it's a 1on2.

I mean, it's well documented that MPS doesn't like to go to the net with the puck, but he won't even go there without it? Come on. What is wrong with that guy?
Players crisscross on 2 on 2 plays all the time. The problem was that Paajarvi criss'd but Harti didn't cross.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Riverboat Danglers

Booing Horcoff, Belanger

To whoever was at the game last night and booed players like Horcoff and Belanger when they came out are complete idiots. I have no respect for you guys. How can you guys honestly boo somebody on our team because of their contracts. If you guys got offered that contract your trying to tell me you would say, how about we lower the amount of money cause I dont think Im that good.

Get your guys heads out of your *****. Sure they're getting overpaid but they give us something we desperately need. Face-off wins and defensive zone coverage. I lost so much respect last night for Oilers fans. I always complain and say Flames fans know nothing about hockey but wow you guys just sunk a level below them.

How do you think Horcoff felt after that. He is our captain. You guys loved him in 06 when is was an integral part of the cup run. Everybody was saying how the guy was so important to our team. Funny how fast people forget things. The guy bleeds blue and orange.

Get it together Oilers fans. Im sick of reading how we need to buy him out or get rid of him. If thats your opinion fine. I disagree with you but whatever. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. But do not show that disrespect to a player. He doesnt deserve that. Calgary is still looking for some more fans so why dont you guys cheer for them or hop on a wagon like the Kings, Bruins or Flyers.

If your gonna go to the game to boo our players when they havent even played a minute for us then just stay home. Im all about having accountability for our guys and if they have been having a bad game then yes let them know, but give them a chance for christ sake.

Riverboat Danglers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:50 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Danglers View Post
To whoever was at the game last night and booed players like Horcoff and Belanger when they came out are complete idiots. I have no respect for you guys. How can you guys honestly boo somebody on our team because of their contracts. If you guys got offered that contract your trying to tell me you would say, how about we lower the amount of money cause I dont think Im that good.

Get your guys heads out of your *****. Sure they're getting overpaid but they give us something we desperately need. Face-off wins and defensive zone coverage. I lost so much respect last night for Oilers fans. I always complain and say Flames fans know nothing about hockey but wow you guys just sunk a level below them.

How do you think Horcoff felt after that. He is our captain. You guys loved him in 06 when is was an integral part of the cup run. Everybody was saying how the guy was so important to our team. Funny how fast people forget things. The guy bleeds blue and orange.

Get it together Oilers fans. Im sick of reading how we need to buy him out or get rid of him. If thats your opinion fine. I disagree with you but whatever. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. But do not show that disrespect to a player. He doesnt deserve that. Calgary is still looking for some more fans so why dont you guys cheer for them or hop on a wagon like the Kings, Bruins or Flyers.

If your gonna go to the game to boo our players when they havent even played a minute for us then just stay home. Im all about having accountability for our guys and if they have been having a bad game then yes let them know, but give them a chance for christ sake.
LEAVE HORC ALONE!

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:50 PM
GreatMcKeith
PK Draft Lottery!

What does Horcoff have to do with Darryl Sutter?

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
I can wondered to myself what the new guys think of that? Get overpaid and you get booed?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:53 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Dude the Flyers are terrible so far, ain't no way I'm hopping on that wagon

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Although I believe this is an overreaction, I do agree that it was wrong and disrespectful to boo Horcoff and Belanger.

Also totally sounded like they were booing Nuge when saying "Nuuuge". Threw me off for a sec.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:59 PM
T-Funk

Maybe they were booing him for the dumb stuff he was saying during the lockout.

Or maybe it is just a good old fashioned dislike of guys who play like **** and blame it on everyone but themselves.

Either way, fans pay money to boo or cheer whoever they want. If Horcoff doesn't like it he can retire.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:59 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yep, somebody should tell him about last line change

Couldn't believe the matchups SJ was getting.

I wonder how the Krueger ""give the team a day off after a bad game to get their heads out of the rink and avoiding "overcoaching" is settling in right now. lol, first home game of the season and the team tests Kreugers resolve to do things differently.

We gotta naive NHL coach here people.

So gotta say this a well. Where was the goalie yank, timeout, or stalling tactic in the first period. Kreuger had to do something to interupt the carnage. When your team is staggering and eating punches you don't wait for the period to end. You wait for the next whistle to get the clubs head back in the game.

The direction was clear after the 3rd goal, that was time for a timeout and or goalie change. Around the 10min mark Dubs is seen trying to catch a lobbed puck. He actually fumbles it right in front of him. If a shark was around it was another gift goal. On two other plays he basically froze not being sure what to do.

Dubnyk was rattled, clearly, and it happens to him. It was time for a yank.
I agree. Apparently Kruger said that he thought the TV timeout was enough. It was clearly a mistake. The line matching was a mistake as well. So was not pulling Dubnyk.

Hopefully Kruger is a quick learner because this team cant afford rookie mistakes from the players AND the coach.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by booya42 View Post
leave horc alone!

hey you guys!!

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:05 PM
jsho

I think we should trade for Brent Burns, Roberto Luongo, Tuomo Ruutu, either Koivu and any player with the first name Drew.

Between those guys, the Nuge and Dubnyk it will sound like fans are booing the entire team.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:11 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Laraque did it all the time, definitely not a disrespect thing. Kid was probably just stoked he hung in there. Was that Kassian's first NHL fight?

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Laraque did it all the time, definitely not a disrespect thing. Kid was probably just stoked he hung in there. Was that Kassian's first NHL fight?
He won the fight, and then played to his home crowd. Good for him.

Or did I see the fight wrong?

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I find it hilariously ridiculous that you were pumping Krueger's tires all offseason, calling it a great move by Tambo to hire him and now you've thrown in the towel after 2 games (which it seems that you're doing by calling him a naive NHL coach).
I think your memory of who posted what must be off. If anything I've indicated that while I like the idea of Kreuger is he's very much a wildcard in the NHL and we really have nothing to go on.

Quote:
Just like the ridiculous claims last night, based on one horrible period, that the Oilers are a last place team again, it's time to talk Jones/MacKinnon etc., it's just as ridiculous that you are giving up on the coach just like that!!!
BS

I've raised concerns over the past week and a half over the comments and strategies Kreuger was verbalizing and I was stating they were naive before any pucks were dropped. I also lost a little respect in a man throwing other coachs under the bus stating that the Oilers were "overcoached" last season. Nor do I agree with Kreugers assessment. I think if he really believes that we're in a hell of a lot of trouble.

Quote:
It's obvious that Krueger made some critical tactical errors last night, not pulling Dubnyk earlier, not calling the timeout after the first 2 goals etc. but just like the team, he is learning on the job. It's only his 2nd game as an NHL coach, it's going to take a bit of time for he and the players to adjust. Hell, it's going to take time for many teams and coaches in the league to adjust to this unusual, compressed schedule set up.
Time isn't available this year. Its sink or swim, I don't know what could be more obvious.

Quote:
The point is, that it's only 2 games in and the team is 1-1. It was obvious going into the season that the team still has some glaring holes so nights like this against the Sharks aren't surprising (although 6 goals in one period is ludicrous). The true test will be how this team battles through adversity because in past seasons, they have folded like a cheap tent when being challenged so lets give Krueger and the team more than 2 games to give a proper evaluation.
WEll, I say the team fold like a house of cards last night with zero resiliency noted. This is a team thats learned to lose that could very well find it hard to be anything else. That they caved as readily as they did was just plain ugly.
Basically means all the positive bs of things and performance being different under a new coach is just that.

I'd like to single out a guy like Whitney who in recent weeks basically ripped Renney and pretty much blamed Renney for Whitneys bad performance last season, which is Whitney. The same Whitney said he felt much differently playing for Kreuger and that he also feels 100%

Where is that Whitney. All I see is an abject loser.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:

Not a place to post this. Barely any HfOil members went to that game, no sense venting to us.

Johnny McBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:40 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Players crisscross on 2 on 2 plays all the time. The problem was that Paajarvi criss'd but Harti didn't cross.
They were way too far apart and too slow moving for that.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
They were way too far apart and too slow moving for that.
Disagree. I definitely don't think so. I know I was surprised to see Hartikainen stay along the wall there at the time, and it was clear Paajarvi expected to cross there as well.

01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
April Ethereal
Pray for Matthews

vCash: 339
Quote:

I've got the worlds smallest violin, I'll play it for you.

April Ethereal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
russ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
That was without doubt the worst period of hockey I have seen the Oilers play.... ever. Three years of the worst team in hockey and they never looked worse than they did tonight.

Embarrassing. Absolutely embarrassing. It was like the Oilers were allergic to the 15 feet in front of their own net. I've never seen so many guys left completely alone in the slot like that. Atrocious.
I don't know, I thought the shift of doom was far worse than than the first period last night:

http://youtu.be/VZqpW9KTJXo

Last night was just poor defensive coverage all around and should be fixable with proper coaching and effort.

russ99 is offline   Reply With Quote