HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles claim Thomas Hickey (D) off Waivers

Old
01-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
http://video.islanders.nhl.com/video...ed-share-video

short but sweet interview with Hickey after todays practice. Says he's going to make the Islanders very happy they claimed him. Love to hear it

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:19 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Hickey sounds excited to be on the islanders. Good luck to you both

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:30 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugold View Post
Hickey sounds excited to be on the islanders. Good luck to you both
They should pair him with Visnovsky, they'd be awesome on a PR roadshow (Jimmy Kimmel, Letterman, the whole circuit)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Mavericknyc1980

Loved the pick up. Don't understand why people are upset that we picked up potential for free.

Mavericknyc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:38 PM
scott99

Everyone loves the pickup except the Isle's coaches, why isn't Hickey playing. For that matter, why isn't Martinek playing ?

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:41 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Everyone loves the pickup except the Isle's coaches, why isn't Hickey playing. For that matter, why isn't Martinek playing ?
I can't speak for Hickey but I am guessing in the case of Martinek, they probably want to get him into game shape

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Why are either of them sitting while Finley plays? I have seven more days of no-hockey to go so I didn't see, but I am going to go way out on a ledge and assume his skating didn't blossom overnight. I also heard Stamkos made him look like the pylon he is on one goal.

I don't get it.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:40 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Mystery to me, unless they are banged up somehow. Cappy has said he wants team more physical and at home, when you can match lines somewhat, you can probably get by playing Finley, but why with Carkner?

And in what NYI team after 1984 is Martinek not a top six dman?

Going to try and enjoy the win and not get too fired up after a win. But it's a mystery.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Renbarg

I'm not really worried about the lack of playing time for Martinek and Hickey, although I disagree with Martinek not playing in particular (assuming he is in game shape). With the shortened season, everybody will eventually get plenty of ice.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Puckzilla13

Carkner needs a mobile, puck-moving partner. That could be Marty or Hickey, just not Finley. Ever again.

Very pleased with Strait. Once we get our bottom pairing figured out, I think we will be ok on D. Not saying I wouldn't welcome Lubo in a second (had to go there )

Puckzilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:30 AM
bigd

The only thing I can read into this situation is that Hickey plays soft. Finely is just not good if he gets caught out on the ice with top line forwards. I don't see the D pairings changing for Toronto or Boston though. Both have tough guy lineups.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:11 AM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckzilla13 View Post
Carkner needs a mobile, puck-moving partner. That could be Marty or Hickey, just not Finley. Ever again.

Very pleased with Strait. Once we get our bottom pairing figured out, I think we will be ok on D. Not saying I wouldn't welcome Lubo in a second (had to go there )
agree with this.

Not to pull a Butch, but seeing Carkner skating with the #7 on his back reminds me of Trent Hunter and how his skating completely deteriorated over time. Scary stuff for a dman, for sure.

Look at the way Okposo completely blew past Matt Carle on his half breakaway, and Carle is not a bad skater. Finley and Carkner leaves the Isles at risk, and in 48 games, where one goal can mean so much, why chance it?

I like the added toughness and Carkner seems much more serviceable than Finley, but I'd prefer NONE of them play. I'd replace them with Visnovsky and Martinek and take my chances.

But all teams are experimenting and looking for toughness. The Leafs have Colton Orr (waived and sent to the AHL last year) who to knocked down John Scott (6'8" Finley-esque who makes Mitch Fritz and Trevor Gillies look like an NHLers).

On defense though, it's not worth it. Too much risk.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:22 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckzilla13 View Post

Isles fans cried all last year about a lack of toughness. Now, the isles add it (albeit again not in the skilled category) and now people want mr. Glass in there or mr.1st rounder that neve has played a NHL game before.

It's two games, let it play out.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:37 PM
OlTimeHockey

Rich Pilon was slow as molasses. I dunno, Carkner serves a purpose and adds toughness, so you put a faster guy on his side to keep said toughness out there.

Hockey is more than speed and we have the Debbies, Rag$, Pens, Flyers, Bruins, hell, about every team short of Montreal is tougher than us. You count on Carkners and his ilk to WEAR DOWN the opponent, prevent teams from taking liberties and establish equal footing on a very important aspect of the game. Same with Hamonic.

You count on Marty and MacD to establish solid back checking and reliable defense.

Then we worry about skating and offense.

I haven't seen anything from Carkner to make me worry, especially since he had a small camp and didn't play during the lockout.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Rich Pilon was slow as molasses. I dunno, Carkner serves a purpose and adds toughness, so you put a faster guy on his side to keep said toughness out there.

Hockey is more than speed and we have the Debbies, Rag$, Pens, Flyers, Bruins, hell, about every team short of Montreal is tougher than us. You count on Carkners and his ilk to WEAR DOWN the opponent, prevent teams from taking liberties and establish equal footing on a very important aspect of the game. Same with Hamonic.

You count on Marty and MacD to establish solid back checking and reliable defense.

I haven't seen anything from Carkner to make me worry, especially since he had a small camp and didn't play during the lockout.
The man can't move! Numerous times I've seen players just put the puck through his legs and skate right around him like he wasn't there. Or his penalty against St. Louis, he didn't even attempt to make an effort to get the puck. He's bad.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Luc Gretzky

Hey guys, I wanted to ask you how you see Hickey fitting into your organization. Capgeek has him 5th on your D depth chart, but it seems like he hasn't played yet. Where would you put Hickey on your depth chart? Some were saying he was paired with Carkner in camp--who's Carkner been playing with these first couple of games? Who's 8th on your depth chart? Do you foresee that player getting a look at any point this season? Does anyone think Hickey may ben sent down (I'd love to get him back on waivers! ), especially if Visnovsky comes back? Any definitive news on Vis?

Luc Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Hyphistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Gretzky View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to ask you how you see Hickey fitting into your organization. Capgeek has him 5th on your D depth chart, but it seems like he hasn't played yet. Where would you put Hickey on your depth chart? Some were saying he was paired with Carkner in camp--who's Carkner been playing with these first couple of games? Who's 8th on your depth chart? Do you foresee that player getting a look at any point this season? Does anyone think Hickey may ben sent down (I'd love to get him back on waivers! ), especially if Visnovsky comes back? Any definitive news on Vis?
There are different opinions, but some/many (including me) think that he should play instead of Finley. That would be 3rd pairing - together with Carkner as you have already correctly mentioned.

Why he didn't play yet? Nobody really knows, some here think they just wanted to have a closer look at Finley before sending him down, others think they wanted to have more toughness. I personally think, that he will be above Finley at the depth chart but despite the scrimmage we haven't seen him play, so who knows?

When Vis is coming here and Martinek gets his start, it will be very close for Hickey to get a spot at all. But without wanting to jinx it, it would be a big surprise if everyone stays healthy - so I would think he will get his starts if he isn't sent down before.

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:34 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

No problem with having him there. Having him there with Finley? That makes me question the intelligence of the coaching staff.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Luc Gretzky

Thanks Hyphistos, most appreciated!

Luc Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
Hickey is not soft. I think Cappy is experimenting with Finley on the bottom pairing (and it's not working) and Radek is still getting his legs under him.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:30 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Hickey is not soft. I think Cappy is experimenting with Finley on the bottom pairing (and it's not working) and Radek is still getting his legs under him.
Gotta agree with this, especially the part about Martinek.

Even despite the win against TB, the Carkner-Finley pairing is downright scary. I do not know if both fit in (as long as Carkner is healthy), but I'd have to think that when either is playing, he simply must be paired with a good skater.

Both Martinek and Hickey would appear to be considerably better skaters and I do look forward to seeing at least one of them in the line-up soon.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
With Martinek's injury history you got to think they want him in prime shape before playing, that's the best thing they could do.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:38 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
No problem with having him there. Having him there with Finley? That makes me question the intelligence of the coaching staff.
You and me both. I imagine Hickey, maybe. Martinek? Sure.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
bigd

I don't get it, I just read an article about the Kings being in the market for a D-man even before Greene got hurt and now they absolutely need D-men. Why would they waive Hickey if he has NHL potential? What is the problem with this guy? A #4 pick and he hasn't even played an NHL game yet.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:22 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I don't get it, I just read an article about the Kings being in the market for a D-man even before Greene got hurt and now they absolutely need D-men. Why would they waive Hickey if he has NHL potential? What is the problem with this guy? A #4 pick and he hasn't even played an NHL game yet.
Easy. What's Greene's role? Could Hickey fill it? LA has a plethora of such great defensive talent to the point that if you don't fill a needed role they have no use for simply a generally sound depth defensemen nearing his closeout date.

What I am surprised by is no one was willing to offer a 6th rounder for him. That bothered me more.