HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - 5.0 - The "Doughty Money Vs. Lowball Bridge" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdecheno View Post
Because PK doesn't seem to want to accept a bridge contract, unless he does get traded, Galchenyuk will have to be sent down to Sarnia no matter how well he plays.

No one will trade for Bourque or Kaberle at this point in the season, and there is only 2.75 million left on the cap.
They can use the bonus cushion to clear cap room.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
http://www.behindthenet.ca/

Time for you to learn about advance statistics. If you don't, then you shouldn't be evaluating any player.
I'll post this on the poll board. Perhaps my judgement is wrong. Advanced statistic or not, for me, I don't see how Subban fetches Benn.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:17 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Let's try to really look at PK, and let's go as far back as his junior years.
So, here's a kid drafted #43 overall, and right from the draf...

I could live with a bridge contract, perhaps give a 3rd year, but Bergevin absolutely has to almost double the money. It makes no sense at all to give so little and yet ask so much of a player.
Very good summary, and I can't find fault with any of your conclusions. I don't think that Bergevin is making a good case for his ability as a critical thinker. He seems to have an approach to negotiating that is ideological rather than practical, and I believe that PK's contribution to the team is undervalued.

Moreover, PK's personality, which is influenced by African-American (ok, African-Canadian) culture, was always bound to differ from traditional WASP and Franco-Canadian culture, from which hockey-related cultural norms arose. For a basketball-related parallel, look at how the modern NBA game is played, and compare it to an era when black players were prevented from playing, let's say, the 50's (e.g. Bob Cousy era): not only are the strategies different, but how players relate to each other is also starkly different. Thus, penalizing PK for reflecting a cultural bias that is different from the usual is like trying to view the modern NBA through the prism of a 50's era basketball fan.

As a result, we need to stick to evaluation criteria that matter in terms of the final result, and possibly re-educating both him and some of his teammates, if the need arises, to at least recognize the impact of these differences on team dynamics.

Sorry if this post reads like psycho-babble.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
I'll post this on the poll board. Perhaps my judgement is wrong. Advanced statistic or not, for me, I don't see how Subban fetches Benn.
I'd say it would be fairly close.

Both are really good young players with a ton of upside, that have proven they can take care of their respective #1 positions.

Depends what the franchise needs most I suppose. In our case, I think we have quantity on D, but not a ton of quality.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
A #1 Dman is more valuable, generally speaking. And if you want to properly evaluate players, read up on advance statistics. Otherwise, your conclusions will likely be flawed or highly subjective. It'll only help you.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I'd say it would be fairly close.

Both are really good young players with a ton of upside, that have proven they can take care of their respective #1 positions.

Depends what the franchise needs most I suppose. In our case, I think we have quantity on D, but not a ton of quality.
Could be close, you're right. I posted with an "Even" option, so we'll see. And I agree that the lack of quality Dmen in the system makes it hard for Bergevin, as logically, he would ask for what he's trading away in return...

Quote:
A #1 Dman is more valuable, generally speaking. And if you want to properly evaluate players, read up on advance statistics. Otherwise, your conclusions will likely be flawed or highly subjective. It'll only help you.
Thanks, but I'm doing just fine. For me, he's a number one dman like Derek Roy is a number one C, so we're likely not going to agree. I'm glad you have a hobby though

Old
01-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm doing just fine. For me, he's a number one dman like Derek Roy is a number one C, so we're likely not going to agree. I'm glad you have a hobby though
You're obviously not doing fine if you think PK=Roy. The fact you refuse to even look at those stats and learn shows how close minded you are. I mean really, why would anybody to refuse to look at something that will better their conclusions?? Like..

My hobby is the same as yours, watch hockey and discuss the game. Was that supposed to be a shot?

Old
01-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
IMO it would be a fair trade........

Old
01-23-2013, 04:42 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Don Meehan expect to have a discussion soon with Marc Bergevin concerning his client PK Subban.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:44 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Don Meehan expect to have a discussion soon with Marc Bergevin concerning his client PK Subban.
Sweet! More vague and likely uneventful news. Miss that good 'ol lockout feeling? I don't.

thanks for the share, though

Old
01-23-2013, 04:45 PM
maci4life

Quote:
You're obviously not doing fine if you think PK=Roy. The fact you refuse to even look at those stats and learn shows how close minded you are. I mean really, why would anybody to refuse to look at something that will better their conclusions?? Like..
I believe what he meant was that Derek Roy is a #1 Center on a mediocre team , much like Subban would be a #1 D on the (mediocre) habs.

it's not a direct correlation of roy = subban.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Stubbs tweeted he filed his P.K. profile, should be up tonight.

Can't wait to read it.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:52 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Stubbs tweeted he filed his P.K. profile, should be up tonight.

Can't wait to read it.
I guess I'll have to wait tomorrow to read it...

Old
01-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
I believe what he meant was that Derek Roy is a #1 Center on a mediocre team , much like Subban would be a #1 D on the (mediocre) habs.

it's not a direct correlation of roy = subban.
Precisely why advanced stats is needed.
Anybody can be a #1 on their respective team. Technically speaking, all you need is for all the Dmen ahead of you to get injured an voila.
However, it's a complete other story to be a top pairing guy and be effective at it. Matter of fact, it's even more impressing to be an effective top guy on a weaker team as you get less help and more challenges.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaMtlExpat View Post
Very good summary, and I can't find fault with any of your conclusions. I don't think that Bergevin is making a good case for his ability as a critical thinker. He seems to have an approach to negotiating that is ideological rather than practical, and I believe that PK's contribution to the team is undervalued.

Moreover, PK's personality, which is influenced by African-American (ok, African-Canadian) culture, was always bound to differ from traditional WASP and Franco-Canadian culture, from which hockey-related cultural norms arose. For a basketball-related parallel, look at how the modern NBA game is played, and compare it to an era when black players were prevented from playing, let's say, the 50's (e.g. Bob Cousy era): not only are the strategies different, but how players relate to each other is also starkly different. Thus, penalizing PK for reflecting a cultural bias that is different from the usual is like trying to view the modern NBA through the prism of a 50's era basketball fan.

As a result, we need to stick to evaluation criteria that matter in terms of the final result, and possibly re-educating both him and some of his teammates, if the need arises, to at least recognize the impact of these differences on team dynamics.

Sorry if this post reads like psycho-babble.
It does, and frankly it's in bad taste. If only you understood the difference between Subban's upbringing and that of inner city youths in American cities who seek their salvation in pro basketball!

Old
01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It does, and frankly it's in bad taste. If only you understood the difference between Subban's upbringing and that of inner city youths in American cities who seek their salvation in pro basketball!
Yeah, this conversation is going to go well...

Old
01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Anybody can be a #1 on their respective team. Technically speaking, all you need is for all the Dmen ahead of you to get injured an voila.
More broadly, I call this Falloon Syndrome: Every hockey team has a best player, but that player isn't necessarily good. The same player traded to another team could be buried to a lesser role and see his stats fall like a rock as he no longer will play the minutes that come with being the best.

See: The best scorer of any expansion team in the 90's.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
I'd do Subban for Benn straight-up in a heartbeat. We need another Top-6 forward more than a dman right now. Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Ellis are on the farm and the best 2 can can replace Bouillion and Kaberle next season. I haven't given up on Weber either.
Please don't mention Weber in the same breath as the Habs' leading prospects.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Please don't mention Weber in the same breath as the Habs' leading prospects.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:06 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

If we trade Subban our #1 need becomes...

A two way #1 defenseman with a physical edge who is young and can grow with our current core.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:12 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

A two way #1 defenseman with a physical edge who is young and can grow with our current core.

And if we don't find him, don't worry. We still have Bouillon!

Old
01-23-2013, 05:12 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

A two way #1 defenseman
with a physical edge who is young and can grow with our current core.

lots of #1 D do very well without being physical. They're just paired with some who hit that is all.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:15 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
lots of #1 D do very well without being physical. They're just paired with some who hit that is all.
Or he could be all of that and not NEED to be with a guy who NEEDS to be physical and a hitter?

I think the IQ of this board was way higher during the lockout.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:17 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I actually asked him to post proof that Gionta, Cole and Gorges said something negative about PK last year. (And not just a comment after being asked about him).

Nothing so far. So if you can't back up the statements, yeah, they are probably lies, or at the very least conjecture.
This year, in the 6 day's training camp, Gionta said to comments that can be perceive negative toward PK, you may think they are not, time will tell, i'm not working as a researcher for you Gonzo... look it up yourself or don't believe it, but don't say people are telling lies, it's all a question of perception. PK fans will always say it's bull, PK haters will say it's definetly true. I say where there is smoke.... time will tell

Old
01-23-2013, 05:19 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Or he could be all of that and not NEED to be with a guy who NEEDS to be physical and a hitter?

I think the IQ of this board was way higher during the lockout
Off course. Hockey season started, what did you expected?

Closed Thread