HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Edmonton the softest team in the league? (Mod Warning Post #91)

Old
01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
Gagner is tough in the sense that he's willing to put his body on the line for a play, or willing to drop the gloves with some pretty scary guys, but that is useless when a swift breeze from the closing of the zamboni gate can knock you off the puck. RNH is a strong player despite his size, and can use his quickness and aggressiveness to win puck battles along the boards. Gagner, not so much.

If any of you hadn't noticed, Gagner is the new shiny whipping boy as evidenced by the hyperbole written by posters such as above.

Gagner is a fine player and does a lot of things right. He holds himself well physically and dishes out the occasional hit. He also battles quite nicely on the boards, too.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
KClovesGaming

I don't think they're soft, just small so they get taken off the puck easily. They battle hard and at times are very good at controlling the boards offensively. It's on defense that's the problem, which is well known. They can't handle big top lines like from San Jose for example. But they do play hard. Granted they need to do a better job on the PK and last night they gave up 3 PP goals in 4 chances in the first. After that the team became deflated and the flood gates opened. All teams have a bad period sometimes. Vancouver had a horrendous second period in their home opener. But the team did show character and battled hard in the final 2 frames. They will get there. It's a slow process and I wish it would speed up faster, but it is what it is. Growing pains are going to happen.

KClovesGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
They soft yes, they be soft.

They're the kid that talks a lot of crap, but when push comes to shove, they get beaten up.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Ronaldo
OVOXO

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I don't see the Canucks 2nd line exactly filling the net this year.
What idiocy. 2 of Vancouver's top 6 forwards are injured. It's like taking out Gagner and Hemsky out of Edmonton's top 6 (Kesler and Booth are obviously better but just a comparable)

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Ronaldo
OVOXO

vCash: 855
Gagner is one of the most underrated players in the game. People don't realize he's only 23.

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

If any of you hadn't noticed, Gagner is the new shiny whipping boy as evidenced by the hyperbole written by posters such as above.

Gagner is a fine player and does a lot of things right. He holds himself well physically and dishes out the occasional hit. He also battles quite nicely on the boards, too.
Gagner isn't a new whipping boy. People have been complaining about him for years. I happen to like the guy, and he could be a second line center on a lot of teams. I think the Oilers priority should be improving the d-core rather than finding a new 2C at this point. Doesn't change the fact that he's soft as butter, and gets caught out of position in the defensive zone a lot.

Gagner battles along the boards well? Come on... that's easily the worst thing about his game.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Until the Oilers prove they can grind through a whole season and finish near the top, or grind through an entire playoffs run and come up one game short, there is no basis for this. The Canucks' roster has done this, the Oilers looks like wet paper.

We realize Edmonton fans hate Vancouver, but not every thread about Edmonton has to be turned into a Vancouver thread.
amen! Its funny I've seen people be critical about the Oilers (Canuck fans included) & then I see some Oiler fans try to turn it around on the Canuck fans. You know I thought this was a thread about the Oilers, clearly post #91 is being ignored because it looks like its being turned into a pissing match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Stick to the topic. We do not need this to turn into a pissing match. No warnings from this point, forward.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Ho Borvat

Don't worry guys, as a Vancouver fan I can tell you people will call your team soft even when it isn't.

NHL fans define soft as "how big are your star players"
When you have star players like RNH/Eberle/Yak, or in Vans case The Sedins people will use that to generalize your entire team.

(Whens the last time you thought of Nashville as a tough team? Thet were 2nd lowest in fights last year, but you instantly think of Shea Weber and assume toughness).

A lot of Vancouver fans were upset when guys like Orr and Macintyre were clearing waivers.

The key is having relevant toughness in your lineup which is very difficult.
example:
Philly: Hartnell, Simmonds in your top-6
Boston: Lucic, Chara, Horton, Mcquaid

Theres only a few "tough teams" in the NHL (maybe 3-4), most other teams just have a Ben Eager on the 4th line.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:10 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Gagner is one of the most underrated players in the game. People don't realize he's only 23.
I agree with this. Yes he's a smurf, yes he's only managed to put up 40-50 points every year in the league but that's not even that bad. I still think a career high of maybe 60-70 is do-able. The guy's not even a year older than Eberle.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:11 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
amen! Its funny I've seen people be critical about the Oilers (Canuck fans included) & then I see some Oiler fans try to turn it around on the Canuck fans. You know I thought this was a thread about the Oilers, clearly post #91 is being ignored because it looks like its being turned into a pissing match.
I heard somewhere that the Oilers are going to pursue Getzlaf and it'd be Gagner, Paajarvi and a pick going the other way. We basically need someone like Getzlaf or Jordan Staal (obviously we can't get him) to fill out our second line and solidify us down the middle. Basically someone with more size, more skill, more experience, more grit and a bigger contract.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:13 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Soft is an attitude not a size. If a guy is dogged on the puck and doesn't shy away from contact he isn't soft even if he isn't the biggest guy.
yes Dustin penner is soft.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:14 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
I agree with this. Yes he's a smurf, yes he's only managed to put up 40-50 points every year in the league but that's not even that bad. I still think a career high of maybe 60-70 is do-able. The guy's not even a year older than Eberle.
This isn't so much about Gagner's potential as much as there's a glaring need for the Oilers to get someone tougher. You're totally right bro, Gagner, with Hemsky and Yakupov on the wings can put up lots of points going forward. But what if the Oilers were able to get a true power forward down the middle on the 2nd line? It'd totally change the dynamic of this conversation and the Oilers Stanley Cup chances.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
Paajarvi is playing the body a lot down on the farm and was pretty physical last night.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
Gagner is tough in the sense that he's willing to put his body on the line for a play, or willing to drop the gloves with some pretty scary guys, but that is useless when a swift breeze from the closing of the zamboni gate can knock you off the puck. RNH is a strong player despite his size, and can use his quickness and aggressiveness to win puck battles along the boards. Gagner, not so much.
Well that's puck possession, which I consider drastically different from size or toughness. RNH is near the bottom of the league for size but, as you mentioned, is fantastic at puck possession.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:28 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Paajarvi is playing the body a lot down on the farm and was pretty physical last night.
If he learned how to use his size properly, got more physical on a regular basis or even learned to play center he'd make Gagner or Hemsky expendable very quick.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:38 PM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Kassian is starting the season on the second line. And yes, with two big physical players from the Canucks top 6 currently injured and being replaced by small players, the Canucks top 6 is comparably soft to the Oilers top 6 (still think Kassian + Burrows gives the Canucks the edge there). That doesn't say good things about the Oilers top 6.
Kesler and Burrows? You mean the turtle twins? Skinner could bump into Kesler incidentally and he goes down like he's been shot. Burrows will hit anyone from behind then runs when challenged to man up. That's not tough, that's cowardice.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Lebanese Leaf

I think definitely.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
Kesler and Burrows? You mean the turtle twins? Skinner could bump into Kesler incidentally and he goes down like he's been shot. Burrows will hit anyone from behind then runs when challenged to man up. That's not tough, that's cowardice.
That's not true, thats a lie.

Care to provide evidence to that claim?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:46 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
I don't think they're soft, just small so they get taken off the puck easily. They battle hard and at times are very good at controlling the boards offensively. It's on defense that's the problem, which is well known. They can't handle big top lines like from San Jose for example. But they do play hard. Granted they need to do a better job on the PK and last night they gave up 3 PP goals in 4 chances in the first. After that the team became deflated and the flood gates opened. All teams have a bad period sometimes. Vancouver had a horrendous second period in their home opener. But the team did show character and battled hard in the final 2 frames. They will get there. It's a slow process and I wish it would speed up faster, but it is what it is. Growing pains are going to happen.
This. It's this.

Their forwards look like boys playing against men at times. It's a huge problem for them right now. It will eventually be fixed. The problem is that by the time these guys get bigger, they'll be on their second contracts and the cap will become Edmonton's nightmare.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
If they are getting this kind of reaction out of you, don't you think they are doing something effective from a sandpaper/grit/edge perspective?

I mean you don't exactly have the same kind of feelings towards a Teemu Selanne/Sami Salo do you?

Old
01-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Well that's puck possession, which I consider drastically different from size or toughness. RNH is near the bottom of the league for size but, as you mentioned, is fantastic at puck possession.
This

Edmonton has the brightest young core in the NHL.

The real test will be providing a good supporting cast around these guys. Not every team can have a Lucic, but replacing some fringe players with strong role players will be the key.

A guy like Fistric is a perfect example. Big, physical guy who can log decent minutes.
- Cost Edmonton a 3rd round pick.

Vancouver got Lapierre and Higgins for 3rd round picks.
- Lapierre is gritty and plays anywhere in the bottom 6
- Higgins is a 2nd line guy who's one of the hardest working guys in the league,

Its just a matter of adding a nice supporting cast

Old
01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
BlamBlam

Quote:
As much as I'd like to see the most recent instances of Burrows running someone, pretty sure this goes against the mod warning.

Sure EDM is relatively soft, but nothing that can't be changed via trade or UFA. They have the assets and enough talent to draw players now to make it happen imo.

BlamBlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:03 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

kind of hard to make this judgement this early but on paper they don't appear to be a very physical team though

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:46 PM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
That's not true, thats a lie.

Care to provide evidence to that claim?

Not that anyone can provide scientific proof of such a thing. There is practically a YouTube page dedicated to his diving< cheapshots and generally making a fool of himself if that helps...

Old
01-23-2013, 11:50 PM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlamBlam View Post
As much as I'd like to see the most recent instances of Burrows running someone, pretty sure this goes against the mod warning.

Sure EDM is relatively soft, but nothing that can't be changed via trade or UFA. They have the assets and enough talent to draw players now to make it happen imo.
If it does, I apologize. It was not my intention to violate the warning. Merely commenting on a couple players I have little respect for. I will say I feel Kesler has taken a step in the right direction. In the last few years he has certainly focused more on playing the game. He is a great player when he just plays like he can.