HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 07:46 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Following Panini sets have been cancelled....
Titanium Hockey
Elite Hockey
Crown Royal Hockey
Totally Certified Hockey
Contenders Hockey
Dominion Hockey

Only remaining 12/13 sets will be Limited,Prime, and Rookie Anthology.

Upper Deck will follow suit shortly.

Saves me money for this year. Next years rookie crop will be unreal.

Here's the reasoning...
http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/01/...lass-on-cards/

Old
01-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

vCash: 500
thank god for that, there's too many sets between UD and Panini, plus the fantastic ITG cards; surprised they're cutting Dominion though. That's not a very good way to try and establish their high-end set. But the rest of those cancelled Panini sets are just filler.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:09 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Titanium Hockey
Elite Hockey
Crown Royal Hockey
Totally Certified Hockey
Contenders Hockey
Dominion Hockey

Here's the reasoning...
They still have Certified and Score this year.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:14 PM
rockinghockey

Back in the late 80s they had Gretzky Neilson cards. There are 50 cards of Gretzky hockey cards as he was growing up. Anyone hear of these and have any idea how much they are worth?

Old
01-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Titanium Hockey
Elite Hockey
Crown Royal Hockey
Totally Certified Hockey
Contenders Hockey
Dominion Hockey

Here's the reasoning...
Thanks for the news post!

I wish the brand cancellation was permanent for most of these brands.

And I hope UD rookie redemptions are allowed to be redeemed for next year's crop, like the ones from Artifacts or UD S1. (meaning I hope the NHLPA allows it).

Old
01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Canadian Game

I am kind of surprised about the decision with rookie, but can understand at the same time. Overall it is very dissapointing as there is nothing new to collect other than ITG product, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But ITG caters to retired players and prospects since only UD and Panini hold NHL licenses.

I guess I am saving for Series 1

Old
01-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

vCash: 3900
Hey guys. I know nothing about the value of hockey cards and I've got a question. I have a box of 50 rookie cards from 2005-06, haven't opened it yet. The side of the box says it has Crosby, Ovi, Lundqvist, Vanek, Phaneuf, and Carter to name a few. Some pretty big names, and who knows who else is in there. I know that no one can say for sure, but do you guys think this thing will eventually be valuable? Maybe I can sell it for a ton in a couple decades.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:36 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku Scrub View Post
Hey guys. I know nothing about the value of hockey cards and I've got a question. I have a box of 50 rookie cards from 2005-06, haven't opened it yet. The side of the box says it has Crosby, Ovi, Lundqvist, Vanek, Phaneuf, and Carter to name a few. Some pretty big names, and who knows who else is in there. I know that no one can say for sure, but do you guys think this thing will eventually be valuable? Maybe I can sell it for a ton in a couple decades.
Sounds like you have Upper Decks Rookie Class set. All though it does have "rookie cards" they are not worth that much and not likely to increase that much. The main reason is because you are getting all the top rookies in one shot....unlike the gamble buying Upper Deck series one cards from that same year. Hence why your Crosby is only about $6 compared to UD series one Crosby for $300.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFanInVic2011 View Post
Sounds like you have Upper Decks Rookie Class set. All though it does have "rookie cards" they are not worth that much and not likely to increase that much. The main reason is because you are getting all the top rookies in one shot....unlike the gamble buying Upper Deck series one cards from that same year. Hence why your Crosby is only about $6 compared to UD series one Crosby for $300.
Yeah it is the rookie class set. Should I just open it then? If it/the cards won't be worth much then I want to open it and take a look.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:39 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Back in the late 80s they had Gretzky Neilson cards. There are 50 cards of Gretzky hockey cards as he was growing up. Anyone hear of these and have any idea how much they are worth?
Check out the site www.comc.com. They may be fore sale there and give you an idea of price.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:41 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
Yeah it is the rookie class set. Should I just open it then? If it/the cards won't be worth much then I want to open it and take a look.
I have the same set and opened it. I may send in the Crosby, Ovechkn and Howard cards to be graded. Other than those three not much in the set.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:46 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
I guy know has something that will blow all of this out of the water.

1948 Maple Leafs Cup Winning Roster. Of course he's never shown them to anyone. Keeps it all in glass case which I caught a glimpse of.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

Quote:
I have the same set and opened it. I may send in the Crosby, Ovechkn and Howard cards to be graded. Other than those three not much in the set.
I opened it just now... I assume everyone gets the same cards? There's a lot of good players in here!

Old
01-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I guy know has something that will blow all of this out of the water.

1948 Maple Leafs Cup Winning Roster. Of course he's never shown them to anyone. Keeps it all in glass case which I caught a glimpse of.
A picture ?

There's no cards in Beckett's price guide from that year.

I just bought a 57/58 Jacques Plante card for 50 bucks. It's worth 450, but in terrible condition. However, it's old and rare imo, so I think it was worth it.

Quote:
I opened it just now... I assume everyone gets the same cards? There's a lot of good players in here!
If it's the rookie class set, then yes and it's not worth anything. Probably the 20 bucks you paid for to get it.

Quote:

My next batch of rookies I'm sending in include: Ovechkin YG, Tavares YG, Selanne Rookie 1991 UD, 2012-13 Carter Ashton Young Guns Exclusive Spectrum 02/10, 2011-12 OPC RNH Marquee Rookie, 2011-12 OPC Retro RNH, Fuhr OPC rookie and Sakic OPC rookie.

One thing about graded cards is there is no debate on the condition of the card.
I've been wanting to get some cards graded, but from Canada it's killer. For some cards to get graded and be back in reasonable time it was going to cost around 300+ iirc.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
A picture ?

I just bought a 57/58 Jacques Plante card for 50 bucks. It's worth 450, but in terrible condition. However, it's old and rare imo, so I think it was worth it.

If it's the rookie class set, then yes and it's not worth anything. Probably the 20 bucks you paid for to get it.

I've been wanting to get some cards graded, but from Canada it's killer. For some cards to get graded and be back in reasonable time it was going to cost around 300+ iirc.
Some guy gave it to me. And the initial question was if the good cards would be worth anything in like 20-30 years. I assume not because this seems like a common set of cards.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
That's right. And they made a million of those sets. Plus since the cards didn't come randomly in packs, they are not considered true rookie cards by the collecting public. So just enjoy them as fun cards of that crazy rookie class.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
Quote:
A picture ?

Nah. I meant that I caught a glimpse of him packing a glass case (Marked '48 Leafs) into a trunk of some sort. I asked him what was in it so he tells me. said it's belonged to his grandad.

I guess I should have said it was something he claimed to have. Would have been more accurate.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Damn them for cancelling Dominion. I always enjoyed ordering a few of the base cards from a $300 pack for $1 each from eBay. The nice thick cards feel so nice and they're the best looking cards produced in the past 2 years.

Anyways, I need to go to a Dollarama to open up one of those 15 cards for $1 packs. I bought a $1.50 pack of 6 cards (09/10 Collector's Choice). I got too effing Braydon Coburn cards in the same pack, oh but one of them is an "insert"....it looks like the same friggin thing:

Old
01-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Damn them for cancelling Dominion. I always enjoyed ordering a few of the base cards from a $300 pack for $1 each from eBay. The nice thick cards feel so nice and they're the best looking cards produced in the past 2 years.

Anyways, I need to go to a Dollarama to open up one of those 15 cards for $1 packs. I bought a $1.50 pack of 6 cards (09/10 Collector's Choice). I got too effing Braydon Coburn cards in the same pack, oh but one of them is an "insert"....it looks like the same friggin thing:

Collector's choice is different. However, there's usually a high multiplyer that goes with it.

In the older sets a multiplyer can be as high as 100-120. However, the cards were only worth a dollar (Roy, Gretzky), but still a card worth 100-120 dollars.

I'd say the newer sets would be less. Probably 20-25. Card doesn't look very good, so it's probably worth 5 bucks.

I gotta buy myself an updated price guide.

My scanner doesn't work, however I bought (won) a 56-57 Jacques Plante card for 50 bucks. I made a rookie mistake and didn't ask to see the back. It has a piece that appears to be ripped off. Probably worth 10 bucks at the most now and that's only due to its age.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:06 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:

It's not that bad to do and I live in Victoria. If you are first timer with Beckett they will give you a discount. I sent in 53 cars to be graded and did the 20 days turn around (20 working days) and it was just shy of $500. I just did 20 cards and it was under $200. Many of them were 9.5's. From the time they receive them until I got them back was about 30 total days. Also I didn't have to pay duty on them as they are good returning to me. There is also KSA grading in Canada. I have heard good things about them but then again they are not Beckett. KSA is based out of BC and Ontario.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:14 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Any hardcore collector out there will know how much effort and time this would take. Not my most valuable cards, but what I am most proud of in my Nick Schultz collection (took four years to complete):

Old
02-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
It's not that bad to do and I live in Victoria. If you are first timer with Beckett they will give you a discount. I sent in 53 cars to be graded and did the 20 days turn around (20 working days) and it was just shy of $500. I just did 20 cards and it was under $200. Many of them were 9.5's. From the time they receive them until I got them back was about 30 total days. Also I didn't have to pay duty on them as they are good returning to me. There is also KSA grading in Canada. I have heard good things about them but then again they are not Beckett. KSA is based out of BC and Ontario.
You have to put the cards value (for insurances purposes when in transit) and some of the cards I want graded have a bv of 400. For 20 cards it was going to cost me around 400 dollars. If it was just under 500 for 50 so I'd do it. It's expensive, but the value the cards could garner afterwards is worth it.

KSA grades cards too easily I've heard. I think Punk_o_holic posted on the previous page about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Any hardcore collector out there will know how much effort and time this would take. Not my most valuable cards, but what I am most proud of in my Nick Schultz collection (took four years to complete):

That's pretty impressive.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Free Hockey Card Day (meaning a special pack they make which is nice to have) this Saturday I think. Check the UD Blog for the list of stores.

The US one is the week after that I believe.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Collected when I was a kid, mostly mid-to-late-70s years. Been in a trunk with all my other cards for years. Happened across this thread and got me thinking about them. Maybe I'll post some pix.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 02-06-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old
02-06-2013, 06:30 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
You have to put the cards value (for insurances purposes when in transit) and some of the cards I want graded have a bv of 400. For 20 cards it was going to cost me around 400 dollars. If it was just under 500 for 50 so I'd do it. It's expensive, but the value the cards could garner afterwards is worth it.

KSA grades cards too easily I've heard. I think Punk_o_holic posted on the previous page about them.

That's pretty impressive.
My first batch I sent it I put the Beckett value and then some on my cards (about $1200). It only cost me about $55 to send the cards in and have them arrive to Beckett in less than a week. The cost was still just over $500 to have them graded and returned. As a first time graded they will give you a good rate of about $8-9 per card. You do not pay duty on them returning as they mark the package as returning goods. I've sent in over 70 cards so far and haven't had one issue.

Closed Thread