HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Hawks 3, Blues 2

Old
01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
galaxytrash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Blues got off to a terrible start--we should have buried them in the first period but blew too many freebie odd man rushes getting only the Kane beauty in...I thought we played a lot worse in the 2nd period but got a lucky break on the Keith shot redirected off Seabrook's skate and past Elliott...Then we sucked bigtime in the 3rd despite getting another early goal from Stalberg...The Blues really came on and dominated the 3rd period but Crawford made just enough big saves to hold us in for a 1 goal margin victory...By the last half of the third period it looked like we forgot how to clear pucks out of our zone and in the frenetic finish we looked like a Chinese Fire Drill --running around our own zone and chasing in futility ...just awful..Q cannot be pleased with the last 2/3 of the game and especially that awful 3rd period display ..nice to win but must be better than that for 60 minutes -you cannot lose your "mo" like that letting opponents get off the mat to take over the play and puck possession and winning stick and board battles for the puck in your own zone like that...Q will vent at such a "bad habit" letdown creeping in...

Notes: I thought SAAD was the best guy on his line last night --Toews was meh,Hossa not as prominent as in the first 2 GP...KANE to his credit looks motivated this year-which is what we expect and need from him...BICKELL l looks a lot faster than last year and is playing very well ...SHAW looks lost and off his rambunctious game as if Q wants him to be more finesse and avoid penalties-that will ruin his effectiveness ==Q needs to let him get his edginess back ..
KRUGER made 2 potential goal-saving back-checks --he is playing very well..

It was a better game from 2 and 7 --but still way off their Cup year form...Hopefully they get better with more GP...however of comcern Toews --only 1 shot on goal,Kane only 2 shots (though he scored on 1 of them),Hossa only 2 shots ---when the BIG 3 get only a combined 5 shots on goal either you credit the opponents OR
you demand better from the Big 3 ...(Bickell with 3 shots and Shaw with 4 shots and Stalberg with 1 shot were a combined 8 of our 27 shots ...Frolik managed 3 shots --so these 4 were 44.44% of our shots attacking the STL net --the big 4 guns (Sharp had 3 shots) were only 29.6% of our sots on attack --you would think this needs to be inverted...your besty should be your best--but not last night...toews is a +5 after 3GP and dominant again in faceoffs --but only 4 shots in 3GP ? Gotta step it up ---shoot more should translate to more goals for him ..gotta get more shots off than this...
wait....

what?

galaxytrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:05 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Shaw stuck out like a sore thumb as a guy who maybe overplayed his skill last year. He is still very young and developing. The problem is that people expected so much based off his play last year. And we've all been guilty of it. I personally did the same thing with Ben Smith. I'm not saying send Shaw down or anything but at the same time, maybe it would be good to give Ben Smith another chance and see if he has improved. Shaw has a lot of time left. A guy like Smith is getting to the point where we have to make a decision or lose him, especially with a lot of incoming prospects in the next couple years.

I'd like to see a line of:

Saad-Kruger-Smith

Preferably, Bolland would be in the middle but since he is at 2C, Kruger would have to do.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Sarava, I like the idea of Danault. I think he could come and provide solid play. Test him against Toews and Bolland at the dot and if he can win them, give him a spot to Center the 4th line.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Agree … except his wrister is not weak. That is his strength and I have no problem with him using it. Just get it on the net. He’s also made some nice cross ice passes. He sprung Stalberg for the winning goal last night.
He also had a beauty that set Stalberg up for another fantastic shot that Elliott just made an equally good save on. Bickell's vision and passing has been better than I expected so far.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:46 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

I wish Shaw would move to the 4th line and kruger to the third.

Stalberg-Kruger-Bickell
Shaw-Mayers-Frolik

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
I wish Shaw would move to the 4th line and kruger to the third.

Stalberg-Kruger-Bickell
Shaw-Mayers-Frolik
I'd just change Stalberg with Bollig. Keep Krüger with Frolik

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I'd just change Stalberg with Bollig. Keep Krüger with Frolik
Kruger's determination and sense of the ice is what is lacking from Shaw, just not thrilled with Shaw at all. Bollig is ok sometimes.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Sarava, I like the idea of Danault. I think he could come and provide solid play. Test him against Toews and Bolland at the dot and if he can win them, give him a spot to Center the 4th line.
The guy that was winning the faceoffs at the junior world championships was McNeill. Likely Danault could have won some too, but Canada thought more of McNeill in that spot.

Regardless, if he beats Bollland 50%, then he's still only at 40% vs the rest of the NHL. Toews likely willl punish him at the dot.

I like the idea of Danault on the Hawks later in the season, but I like the idea of a "crusty old" vet too, depending on who it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Not much disagreement here, but I'd rather get a crusty old fart in who can win a defensive zone draw.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:14 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Shaw stuck out like a sore thumb as a guy who maybe overplayed his skill last year. He is still very young and developing. The problem is that people expected so much based off his play last year. And we've all been guilty of it. I personally did the same thing with Ben Smith. I'm not saying send Shaw down or anything but at the same time, maybe it would be good to give Ben Smith another chance and see if he has improved. Shaw has a lot of time left. A guy like Smith is getting to the point where we have to make a decision or lose him, especially with a lot of incoming prospects in the next couple years.

I'd like to see a line of:

Saad-Kruger-Smith

Preferably, Bolland would be in the middle but since he is at 2C, Kruger would have to do.
Smith was the best Ice Hog in the game I attended, by a fair margin. I think he'll get another good look this year. Is he healthy yet?

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Watching the first 2 periods of this game since I missed it last night. Bollig just had a nice shot and the announcer said "he would have loved to have gotten his first NHL goal against the team he grew up watching" or something like that. Didn't he get a goal against the Coyotes in the playoffs last year? A nice snipe if I remember correctly.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Watching the first 2 periods of this game since I missed it last night. Bollig just had a nice shot and the announcer said "he would have loved to have gotten his first NHL goal against the team he grew up watching" or something like that. Didn't he get a goal against the Coyotes in the playoffs last year? A nice snipe if I remember correctly.
Yep, you're remembering correctly. He scored in Game 2.

Never liked how the phrase "first NHL goal" is used, since as you note Bollig has already scored his. But when people use that phrase, they're referring to regular season scoring. Bollig doesn't have a goal there yet.
Same thing applied to Darren Helm.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Correct.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 01-31-2013 at 12:39 AM.
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:38 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

I wasn't thrilled with Shaw's play either but if that's the worst we can take away from last night then I think we're in decent shape.

#eliteteamproblems

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:42 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Everything was rolling for Shaw last year. Thats a fact. Now it appears it isnt. New position (even though hes played C for most of his career), Sophomore slump, the wall. Happens.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Hawkaholic

I think Shaw playing C is hurting his production and play. Sure, he is used to it from previous levels, but this is the NHL.

Bench Bickell or Frolik, start Mayers and put Shaw on the wing for a few games to see if he plays better.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Agreed, Id rather see Shaw on wing.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:04 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxytrash View Post
wait....

what?
He has a serious vendetta against Kane. He thinks we shoulda drafted Turris instead.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:08 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
He could. It's been done before (i.e. Subban to Montreal in 2010).

But yes, it's probably a little too aggressive.
Subban was playing in the AHL for that entire year prior to being called up in the playoffs.

I'm a big Danault fan.. but I don't think he could come in and excell in a third line role at the end of the season and that's what you'd need from him. Saad didn't excell coming off his Junior season last year and IMO, he was a more polished player at the time than Danault now and he was playing wing, an easier position to transition into the NHL.

I could see Danault getting a call-up and impressing early on next year though.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Agreed, Id rather see Shaw on wing.
I always felt like Shaw had a better chance at being like Andrew Ladd at some point than another Dave Bolland. I'd rather see him on the wing too. Still, it's only 3 games into his NHL career as a Center, so perhaps it's too soon to rush to judgement.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I think Shaw playing C is hurting his production and play. Sure, he is used to it from previous levels, but this is the NHL.

Bench Bickell or Frolik, start Mayers and put Shaw on the wing for a few games to see if he plays better.
Mabe Bickell but Fro has played pretty well. I would prefer to see Bollig sit.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:14 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I really don't get anyone hating on any of the players that have dressed at this point. The only change I'd make at this point is switching Kruger and Shaw, otherwise, I like the way the lines are playing.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:15 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I really don't get anyone hating on any of the players that have dressed at this point. The only change I'd make at this point is switching Kruger and Shaw, otherwise, I like the way the lines are playing.
Can we hate on Emery?

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:16 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Can we hate on Emery?
Even Emery.. it was the guy's first game-action since last April. The guys deserves some slack. IMO, he looked a little faster and a little more athletic than last year.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Callidusblackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Blues got off to a terrible start--we should have buried them in the first period but blew too many freebie odd man rushes getting only the Kane beauty in...I thought we played a lot worse in the 2nd period but got a lucky break on the Keith shot redirected off Seabrook's skate and past Elliott...Then we sucked bigtime in the 3rd despite getting another early goal from Stalberg...The Blues really came on and dominated the 3rd period but Crawford made just enough big saves to hold us in for a 1 goal margin victory...By the last half of the third period it looked like we forgot how to clear pucks out of our zone and in the frenetic finish we looked like a Chinese Fire Drill --running around our own zone and chasing in futility ...just awful..Q cannot be pleased with the last 2/3 of the game and especially that awful 3rd period display ..nice to win but must be better than that for 60 minutes -you cannot lose your "mo" like that letting opponents get off the mat to take over the play and puck possession and winning stick and board battles for the puck in your own zone like that...Q will vent at such a "bad habit" letdown creeping in...

Notes: I thought SAAD was the best guy on his line last night --Toews was meh,Hossa not as prominent as in the first 2 GP...KANE to his credit looks motivated this year-which is what we expect and need from him...BICKELL l looks a lot faster than last year and is playing very well ...SHAW looks lost and off his rambunctious game as if Q wants him to be more finesse and avoid penalties-that will ruin his effectiveness ==Q needs to let him get his edginess back ..
KRUGER made 2 potential goal-saving back-checks --he is playing very well..

It was a better game from 2 and 7 --but still way off their Cup year form...Hopefully they get better with more GP...however of comcern Toews --only 1 shot on goal,Kane only 2 shots (though he scored on 1 of them),Hossa only 2 shots ---when the BIG 3 get only a combined 5 shots on goal either you credit the opponents OR
you demand better from the Big 3 ...(Bickell with 3 shots and Shaw with 4 shots and Stalberg with 1 shot were a combined 8 of our 27 shots ...Frolik managed 3 shots --so these 4 were 44.44% of our shots attacking the STL net --the big 4 guns (Sharp had 3 shots) were only 29.6% of our sots on attack --you would think this needs to be inverted...your besty should be your best--but not last night...toews is a +5 after 3GP and dominant again in faceoffs --but only 4 shots in 3GP ? Gotta step it up ---shoot more should translate to more goals for him ..gotta get more shots off than this...
HF50 is that you? I can't believe Kane is receiving more praise than criticism in one of your posts....

Callidusblackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:20 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I always felt like Shaw had a better chance at being like Andrew Ladd at some point than another Dave Bolland. I'd rather see him on the wing too. Still, it's only 3 games into his NHL career as a Center, so perhaps it's too soon to rush to judgement.
Actually I see Saad as being like Ladd. Excellent IQ, strong on the puck.

If Im not mistaken, Ladd was one of the strongest players at his draft years combine. Hawks lost a lot of strength in Ladd and Byfuglien who I think is one of the strongest players in the league.

Agreed its only Shaws 3rd game at center in the show. He obviously needs more time at c. If it were a development year, maybe but If it were me now, Id play him back at wing. Qs call.