HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks Have Had "Long Interest" in Luongo; Potential Luongo Deal in Place with a Team

Old
01-23-2013, 06:49 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Actually, I am. I just dont buy into hype.
Let me ask you something. Be honest.

If Leddy went a PPG and solidified his defense to be a premium defender, would you be happy? Would you prefer to have him provide a ton of success, or would you prefer him to do horrible so you can say you were right?

Same question for Saad. Before you answer, actually think about it.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Martini*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Let me ask you something. Be honest.

If Leddy went a PPG and solidified his defense to be a premium defender, would you be happy? Would you prefer to have him provide a ton of success, or would you prefer him to do horrible so you can say you were right?

Same question for Saad. Before you answer, actually think about it.
Lemme think....

I could care less how many points Leddy gets. What matters first and fore most is how many goals against he is responsible for, and until he becomes a bit more proficient in that aspect, the coaches deserve ciritism for allowing him to fail in the NHL. He has looked good with Rozy, dont get me wrong, and maybe that is what he has needed to get better. Putting the weight of the tandem on the vet is perfect. But the bottom line is he is horrible defensively, and sooner rather then later teams will pressure Rozy into a quick, uncalculated pass right back to Leddy and the same crap will happen. Time will tell but I will admit giving him bottom pairing minutes is perfect for him, as the least amount of ice time the better.

As for Saad, he came into camp in Rockford out of shape and, imo, didnt deserve a call up as he was nothing more then vanilla while in the Rock. Thats from actually seeing him in person. He lucked out, and if he doesnt keep up at his current pace I have no problem if he gets sent back to Rockford.

As for if I am right or wrong, sorry, this isnt about me. Its about actually wanting to see the Hawks win a Cup. If people want to take things written on a message board personally then thats on them. I just offer an opinion that is basicly the glass is half full instead of seeing it half empty. I dont force anybody to read my posts, simple as that.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:07 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

No need to get defensive. I was just asking if you'd prefer them both to become great and succeed or if you would rather see them fail so you could be "correct".

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:09 PM
unbridledid

Quote:
But he is head and shoulders that much better then anything the Hawks have.

Who cares about age when right now he is in his prime. You play to win a Cup and not wait around and see if prospects work out or not. Getting Lu solidifies one of trhe Hawks biggest weaknesses and would make them the Cup favorite.

Its about winning a Cup, nothing more. I am not the person paying for his contract nor do I care when the Hawks pay people to deal with that part of the business.
Lou isn't in his prime anymore... His best years are behind him and his best chance to win the cup was when his team had a 2-0 lead... he was outplayed by Thomas and the rest is history..

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Martini*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
No need to get defensive. I was just asking if you'd prefer them both to become great and succeed or if you would rather see them fail so you could be "correct".
I would hope they succeed. How could you, as a Hawk fan, not want them to?

Some people are taking things a bit drasticly on message bhoard opinions.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Martini*

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridledid View Post
Lou isn't in his prime anymore... His best years are behind him and his best chance to win the cup was when his team had a 2-0 lead... he was outplayed by Thomas and the rest is history..
And Corey Crawford?

Old
01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
And Corey Crawford?
Think really hard about the big difference between the two. C'mon... I know you can do it.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:51 PM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
There is really nothing wrong with a 1 year deal if they have a plan in place for when that year is over. I would rather have a better solution than a 1 year band-aid, but I wouldn't be totally against getting someone like Thomas on a 1 year deal. I just don't see it as ideal. I do realize that ideal probably won't happen.

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Martini*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Think really hard about the big difference between the two. C'mon... I know you can do it.
Is the answer one has a track record of being terribad in the playoffs and the other carried his team to a Cup final?

Thought it was.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Is the answer one has a track record of being terribad in the playoffs and the other carried his team to a Cup final?

Thought it was.
Nope, not the answer that should prevent the Hawks from getting him.

On a side note, Lou had an average playoff run once. He also had a decent history of choking bad including last year.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Sarava

Hey guys, watch the flaming please. If certain posters both you... please remember you have the ability to ignore their posts.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
But he is head and shoulders that much better then anything the Hawks have.

Who cares about age when right now he is in his prime. You play to win a Cup and not wait around and see if prospects work out or not. Getting Lu solidifies one of trhe Hawks biggest weaknesses and would make them the Cup favorite.

Its about winning a Cup, nothing more. I am not the person paying for his contract nor do I care when the Hawks pay people to deal with that part of the business.
But you will be one of the countless fans *****ing and moaning that the Hawks have 3 dead weight contracts and $12+ million in dead cap space in 5 years between Keith/Luongo/Hossa.

The Hawks cannot afford Luongo and that's all there is to it. And you're going to risk it all for one shot at the Cup this year at the expense of fielding a decent team for years to come? That's not an intelligent way to run a team in a league with a salary cap.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:43 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
But you will be one of the countless fans *****ing and moaning that the Hawks have 3 dead weight contracts and $12+ million in dead cap space in 5 years between Keith/Luongo/Hossa.

The Hawks cannot afford Luongo and that's all there is to it. And you're going to risk it all for one shot at the Cup this year at the expense of fielding a decent team for years to come? That's not an intelligent way to run a team in a league with a salary cap.
This. Having that contract severely limits what you can do elsewhere on the team. If he sucks, it's even worse! VC wants assets for him as well and I wouldn't even take him on for nothing. That contract is too big for too long. If they got crazy and bought him out then I would consider it but I highly doubt that happens.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Martini*

Quote:

But you are missing the point that its not any fans problem. Winning the Cup should and always will be the most important goal. Ask any fan of any team if they could either win a Cup or have cap space and nine times out of ten will say win a Cup.

The salary cap is of no concern to any fan. Would you rather the Hawks didnt win a Cup and instead had salary cap room in 2010? Like really?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:56 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
But you are missing the point that its not any fans problem. Winning the Cup should and always will be the most important goal. Ask any fan of any team if they could either win a Cup or have cap space and nine times out of ten will say win a Cup.

The salary cap is of no concern to any fan. Would you rather the Hawks didnt win a Cup and instead had salary cap room in 2010? Like really?
You act like Lou is the missing piece to win a cup, he's not and a serious burden as to what you can do with the team. Hawks didn't win the cup because of some high priced goaltender, they won in spite of him.

You realize the guy was replaced as a starter last season during the PO's.. .right?! His best years are behind him. He's overpriced and worst of all a complete head case at times. One bad game and the U.C. would be all over him...... it would be a disaster.

You don't want what's in the best interest of this team, you want the opposite.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:58 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:

What? You are just being ridiculous now. If you want to be an informed fan than sure the salary cap is important. If you want your opinion to be taken seriously then yes you have to consider the salary cap implications.

The Hawks were fortunate to win the Cup in 2010. No other way about it. There are no guarantees that spending $$ now and going for it all will win you a Cup now. If you can say that your team is already guaranteed to make the playoffs you can probably improve your chances from 1/16 to maybe double that. At best. The best recipe for continued success is drafting well, developing talent, picking your best spots to make trades and go after free agents. It is not stacking up on high-priced players now when you know they will be significant future dead weight.

Severely hampering your team's ability to contend in the future in order to go for it all for a 1 or 2 year window is a recipe for failure.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Penosity

Quote:
Actually, I am. I just dont buy into hype.

Unless it's Luongo hype?

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Martini*

Quote:
You act like Lou is the missing piece to win a cup,
For the Hawks, he would be.
Quote:
he's not and a serious burden as to what you can do with the team.
Putting the Hawks in a position to win a Cup is a burden?
Quote:
Hawks didn't win the cup because of some high priced goaltender, they won in spite of him.
Yet, had a high priced defensman, and over payed for players with a botch in handing out offer sheets.

Yet, still won a Cup on account of the talent aquired.
Quote:
You realize the guy was replaced as a starter last season during the PO's.. .right?!
You realise Crawford was the reason why the Hawks lost to a second rate team last year...right?
Quote:
His best years are behind him.
Speculative at best and a complete reach at worst.
Quote:
He's overpriced and worst of all a complete head case at times. One bad game and the U.C. would be all over him...... it would be a disaster.
More speculation. You have no idea how Luongo would respond to being the goalie for this team. Is he over priced? Possibly, but so was Campbell and he has a Cup ring to his credit.

You play to win the Cup.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
crazyhawk

Quote:

The foundation of your arguments have Lu as a top end goalie. Other than Canuck fans I don't think you will find a lot of support for that sentiment with most fans or hockey people. Lou's best days are behind him now. He is not worth the term or cap hit at this point in his career. For so many reasons he would be a very bad fit in Chicago.

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Martini*

Quote:
What? You are just being ridiculous now. If you want to be an informed fan than sure the salary cap is important. If you want your opinion to be taken seriously then yes you have to consider the salary cap implications.
Me being informed of the salary cap has nothing to do with what the Blackhawks are gonna do reguardless. Its nothing but a built in excuse when no fan and their knowledge of the salary cap, means nothing to Stan Bowman and his minions.Nothing. Its something to debate about on forums such as this until the world blows up but still has no effect on anything Stan Bowman does.

If Roberto Luongo was availible, and it seems he is, its a non factor not to look into aquiring him if you want to win a Cup, considering he is that much better then Corey Crawford. Is he past his prime? Well, a past his prime Lu is still miles better then Crawford.
Quote:
The Hawks were fortunate to win the Cup in 2010. No other way about it.
Huh? They were a stacked team that no team could defend against. Not one team during the Cup run had a grasp on how to play the Hawks and were lured into running and gunning with a team that was built to exploit such stupidity. They toyed with teams all year and then pronouced it during the playoffs. It wasnt just a "they got hot at the right time" type of thing.
Quote:
There are no guarantees that spending $$ now and going for it all will win you a Cup now.
Um, it kinda worked in 2010, just sayin.
Quote:
If you can say that your team is already guaranteed to make the playoffs you can probably improve your chances from 1/16 to maybe double that. At best. The best recipe for continued success is drafting well, developing talent, picking your best spots to make trades and go after free agents. It is not stacking up on high-priced players now when you know they will be significant future dead weight.
What? Luongo is in the same boat as Hossa in terms of dead weight later on down the road. Would you get rid of Hossa?
Quote:
Severely hampering your team's ability to contend in the future in order to go for it all for a 1 or 2 year window is a recipe for failure.
Again, like in 2010?

Hossa and Sharp are not getting any younger, and if you actually listen to those who post in this forum, the Hawks farm system already has their replacements in the fold. If you can get a two year window where you are above every other team in the league with a proven goalie who can win you games by himself, I am sorry, but you do it no questions asked.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Martini*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhawk View Post
The foundation of your arguments have Lu as a top end goalie. Other than Canuck fans I don't think you will find a lot of support for that sentiment with most fans or hockey people. Lou's best days are behind him now. He is not worth the term or cap hit at this point in his career. For so many reasons he would be a very bad fit in Chicago.
\
And those same Canuck fans say they dont want him traded unless its a huge overpay. I highly doubt those same Canuck fans, you know, they who watch him perform more then anybody else, are here just to ask the moon for the sake of asking the moon for him.

And again, if Lu really is on the decline, its still so much better then Crawford.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:25 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Hawks are not going to trade for him so it doesn't matter. Too much salary with the asking price too high. So many other teams are in a better position to make that deal. That's a good thing! We won't see him here.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Martini*

Quote:
Hawks are not going to trade for him so it doesn't matter. Too much salary with the asking price too high. So many other teams are in a better position to make that deal. That's a good thing! We won't see him here.
Speculation at best.

I do remember the Hawks trying to work out a deal during the off season.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:29 PM
crazyhawk

Quote:
\
And those same Canuck fans say they dont want him traded unless its a huge overpay. I highly doubt those same Canuck fans, you know, they who watch him perform more then anybody else, are here just to ask the moon for the sake of asking the moon for him.

And again, if Lu really is on the decline, its still so much better then Crawford.
That my fine young man is an opinion. And not one shared by the majority of Hawk fans.

And re the Canuck fans ... They suffer from a lack of sun which effects their brains to the point of a severe case of inferiority which of course then translates to an even more serious case of superiority with all things Canucks ...

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Martini*

Quote:
That my fine young man is an opinion. And not one shared by the majority of Hawk fans.
Of course Hawk fans will say that. Their tunes would change if he was on this team.
Quote:
And re the Canuck fans ... They suffer from a lack of sun which effects their brains to the point of a severe case of inferiority which of course then translates to an even more serious case of superiority with all things Canucks ...
Save that jibberish. They have every right to cheer for their team as anybody else. Doesnt make it any worse then what Hawk fans say nor are they here trying to discredit Hawk fans in general.