HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

AHL: Rockford vs Grand Rapids Brawl

Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 PM
12345*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Beach is only 23 and still has plenty of time to make the NHL.

Also he didn't jump anyone...he got jumped and then beat the guy senseless.
Beach is a scrub. Zero year-to-year production improvement. Just an increase in PIMs and putting his team short handed.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:02 AM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
You make it sound like the AHL is some upstart single-A caliber league. It's the second best league in the world. Beach is only 23 and still has plenty of time to make the NHL.

Also he didn't jump anyone...he got jumped and then beat the guy senseless.
It is incredibly ironic. Red Wings fans have Riley Sheahan AND Landon Ferraro posted in their "FUTURE RED WINGS LINEUP" and always post how Riley Sheahan is a physical beast and physically ready for the NHL right now. Yet when Beach kicks their ***** then all of a sudden they are helpless midget hockey players who are 100 pounds.

Beach usually is never the one to start crap but he will finish it if punks like Sheahan and Ferraro are going to cheap shot him and jump into fights. Beach takes his lumps in fights but at least he has balls. It just seems like Wings' fans are upset because their prospects keep getting beat up.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:42 AM
SiouxPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
It is incredibly ironic. Red Wings fans have Riley Sheahan AND Landon Ferraro posted in their "FUTURE RED WINGS LINEUP" and always post how Riley Sheahan is a physical beast and physically ready for the NHL right now. Yet when Beach kicks their ***** then all of a sudden they are helpless midget hockey players who are 100 pounds.

Beach usually is never the one to start crap but he will finish it if punks like Sheahan and Ferraro are going to cheap shot him and jump into fights. Beach takes his lumps in fights but at least he has balls. It just seems like Wings' fans are upset because their prospects keep getting beat up.
This.

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:48 AM
gretskidoo

Quote:
It's the second best league in the world.

Not in this reality.

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:57 AM
RJ8812*

love me a bench brawl

when's the last time the NHL had one?

the league needs to have at least 1 a season to remind everyone why hockey is such a great sport

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post

Wait, so because a player cant beat up Kyle Beach means he doesnt belong in the NHL now? I wouldnt put my money on Henrik Zetterberg or Darren Helm or Dave Bolland in a fight with Kyle Beach either but theyre all pretty good NHLers. Sheahan is a pretty big player, pretty physical and almost never loses puck battles but hes not a huge scrapper. I dont have a problem with Beach beating up Ferraro. Ferraro is a fairly gritty North American player, he stepped in and fought Beach because big tough Beach was trying to fight a 5'10 European rookie (similar to Olimb). That takes balls when you know youre going to get beat up but go up a weight class to defend a rookie like that and something Beach would never do lol. It was also a fair fight, Ferraro waited for Beach to get up and drop his gloves, the Sheahan fight was just Beach being a spot picker, jumping a guy hat has never fought, waiting for the griffins top line to come on and start a brawl. The guys a coward and did nothing when the griffins tough lines were out there

The last part you posted is complete BS. Beach is always a player stirring the pot, never defends his teammates and takes selfish penalties. When have Sheahan or Ferraro been punks and jumped into fights? Seems to me like going after non fighters and guys half your size doesnt really take balls

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Starsfan24
Let's Go Cubbies

Only 240 minutes worth a penalties that game. NBD.

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Trognitz

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Black eye for the league. Every player that jumped on the ice should get 20 games.
lol. one of the funniest posts ever.on ANY board.

Trognitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Trognitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post

Not in this reality.
what IS then ?

Old
01-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Bigleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trognitz View Post
lol. one of the funniest posts ever.on ANY board.
I agree. Oh I long for the good old days when we saw these in the NHL. We have such a watered down product these days.

Bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:39 PM
TKB

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Can you point out one single cheap shot a griffins player has pulled on the ice hogs, I know you love to go on about how dirty the griffins are but I can point out quite a few times the ice hogs have pulled some BS this year.

Theres a reason the ice hogs are leading the league in pims by a substantial margin this year, one of these teams is definitely dirty and it isnt the griffins
Newfy you clearly missed the Griffin cheap shot that led to the Hogs-Admirals bench clearing brawl last year ...

TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:44 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
It appears players jump off the bench because Beach continues to wail on Sheahan as he is on the ice. Sheahan looks pretty shaken up. This really pissed of some of the Griffins, which is why the brawl gets so intense.

Most of the fight near the side boards is Griffins beating down Beach. Beach got what he deserved. He ended up collapsing as he stepped off the ice.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trognitz View Post
what IS then ?
KHL and almost half of the leagues in Europe.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:32 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
KHL and almost half of the leagues in Europe.
no

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:45 PM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
no
Yes. Not half of Europe, but at least KHL, Sweden and Finland are better.

ebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Martini*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
Yes. Not half of Europe, but at least KHL, Sweden and Finland are better.
no

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:19 PM
newfy

http://www.hockeyfights.com/news/181463

5 hogs and 2 griffins suspended.

Not sure what Flick and Aubry did to get 6 each

Old
01-22-2013, 05:25 PM
TKB

vCash: 521
Quote:
http://www.hockeyfights.com/news/181463

5 hogs and 2 griffins suspended.

Not sure what Flick and Aubry did to get 6 each
Were they the first off of their respective benches? I am not sure who all was on the ice when it started.

TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB View Post
Were they the first off of their respective benches? I am not sure who all was on the ice when it started.
That has to be it

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Trognitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
no
took the laffs right out of my mouth.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:11 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB View Post
Yep Aubry is 22 and Lashoff is 32.. I thought it was Lashoff first off the bench so I was confused on the call. But yeah firs tto leave the bench is an auto 6 game in the AHL

Old
01-23-2013, 04:41 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Quote:
Yep Aubry is 22 and Lashoff is 32.. I thought it was Lashoff first off the bench so I was confused on the call. But yeah firs tto leave the bench is an auto 6 game in the AHL
I thought live Lashoff and Grant were the first off the bench as well. Maybe the Wings are getting a break here since Lashoff is already up and the leagues honor suspensions so it would be a very big deal.

In any event Aubry might have got tied up immediately, it is Lashoff and Grant that get to Beach and pull him off of Sheahan. Afterwards Grant stalks Beach and gives him a pretty serious beating on the boards, even basically choking him out by the looks of things. Unless I am missing the numbers, but two guys get there to put a stop to it and should have done what they did.

As usual Romers world has an interesting take on all things Wings or Griffins. This is the second really embarrassing bench clearer in the last two years and guess what both involved the Icehogs and each of them had Beach right at the center of the controversy.

I have a problem with Beach and what he does, but in this particular case it is more just the repeated nature of foolishness. The fight itself after the holding and trying to get him to go was okay and Sheahan who is not a fighter was clearly bested. What happened afterwards was not okay and caused it to continue. He took advantage of a player that took his fight and then showed no joy. Sheahan probably thought it was over when they went to the ice and Beach kept on going which is pretty classless and led to the escalation.

It was an important pro lesson for Sheahan though. He needed to continue to protect himself and be aware that there are guys that have no hockey code whatsoever. I don't think he realized that the melay had broken out during that behind him.

Rockford's coach was rightfully suspended. He put out three players to do this to the number 1/2 scoring line as his team was getting pounded on the scoreboard again by the more talented Griffins.

The suspensions should have been

Aubry and Flick six games if they were the first off the bench then there you go.

McCardle - 5+ games, the guy was suckering all over the place and the third man in on several fights. In particular the one he landed on diminuative Frankie Pare was disgusting.

Brookbank - 1 or 2 game, I am fine with that although his getting both Fournier and Mrazek was kind of gutless, that stuff will happen. That was the way the game was heading and after he got two guys he didn't take on a more substantial role he seemed satisfied with labeling two rookies although on Mrazek when the goalie comes out to defend a teammate he should know that player isn't going to greet him with a hello. When watching it live I thought Brookbank was one of the bigger offenders but he did what he did and stopped for the most part and that was that. He didn't take advantage of the player he sent his message like a pro (and probably the exact way the coach told them to) and stopped right there.

Beach - 2+ at least. The AHL needs to send a message to this guy. The way he chooses to play the game and the fact he has been at the heart of two bench clearing brawls is something worth noting. He is a spot picker that I have very little respect for and he is flat out of control at times. That is a part of his game but when it goes too far he needs to pay a penalty, he isn't a stranger to this event so he gets more.

Grant - 5+ games. Grant left the bench and did what he had to do. The game went to the place he was brought in for but he should see the penalties even if I am glad he did it. He beat Beach in a similar fashion to what happened to Sheahan. Got a hold of him while he tried to slip away put him to the ice and beat him well beyond reason. Did Beach have it coming? Absolutely, but to choke a player out on ice is beyond dangerous even after what he did to Sheahan. To couple that with doing it after leaving the bench and a one game suspension is stunning.

Not sure this is the same Rockford coaching staff that was present for last years bench clearer with Milwaukee. If it is that needs to be 5+ games. They have let the inmates run the asylum down there a lot of times. But this looked flat out intentional. He put out a line of three fighters that made no attempt to play the game against a scoring line and proceeded to make a mockery of the AHL. Some can love this aspect of the game, I will admit as time as gone on I am less and less into these sort of situations. I see the need for fighting but this kind of stuff is beyond what should be happening and really unfortunate.

The officials also did a lousy job of managing this game and lost control of it.

I do think the lack of a stronger message will have an interesting outcome on the final meeting. Simply standing up hasn't provided a stop of liberties. Ferraro did that knowing he would take a beating, Sheahan went after getting mugged for a little bit knowing it would be a bad outcome. But they continued and they continue to ramp things up. Rockford isn't getting the message and what is probably about to unfold will be pretty embarrassing. But much like Tatar choosing to hand Clendening a beating and continuing it once they hit the ice this is ramping up. Now Tatar is a skill guy but that isn't what the Icehogs are doing. Not that Beach would ever like to be the target of a Grant or Evans lets be honest he rarely fights guys he knows he has a chance of losing to, but that isn't the likely target. At this point Pirri and Clendening are likely to pay for the sins of their teammates. With the last change they can try and stay away from it, but at some point if the Griffins wind up with Nicastro, Evans, Grant and Callahan all on ice with skill guys this is going to go south in a hurry and it will be interesting to see if they stop hitting the guys once they show no joy and are laying on the ice.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 01-23-2013 at 04:49 PM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Martini*

As somebody who was actually there I will offer my two cents on this matter;

Teams coming in know what kind of team the Hogs are. Well, everybody in the league knows the kind of team the Hogs are. Doesnt make this situation any different or anything, but if you are gonna chirp, and the Griffins are not angels in this, you better understand who you are chirping at.

The Hogs have no problem starting things like this. Its been noted. If you want to chirp, then the Griffins needed to expect this to be the out come. Kyle Beach is first and foremost the biggest dolt in the AHL, and to think he wouldnt use this to take advantage of a smaller guy on the Giffins just isnt thinking. Its what he does. There were at least three instances where the Griffins pulled a cheap shot, chirped, then hid behind the refs in this game at I counted from the stands. Everybody there knew something was brewing and this is what happens when things get out of hand. The Griffins got clobbered. Hopefully they learn from this.

I blame the refs.

And Beach should be suspended for the rest of the year. This will no doubt happen again and he will be right in the middle of it. All the talent in the world and a brain the size of a piece of belly button lint.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Trognitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post

And Beach should be suspended for the rest of the year. This will no doubt happen again and he will be right in the middle of it. All the talent in the world and a brain the size of a piece of belly button lint.
guys like him make the game more interesting.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:30 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Rockford, Ill. – With the BMO Harris Bank Center decked out in pink on Saturday, Jan. 19 for the Rockford IceHogs 4th Annual Pink in the Rink game, a sold out crowd was treated to a wild contest while helping support breast cancer research.

More than 6,200 IceHog faithful packed the BMO Harris Bank Center to watch the IceHogs take on their Midwest Division rival Grand Rapids Griffins while wearing special pink jerseys and playing on a pink ice surface. All the generous fans in attendance helped the club raise $22,875, with a portion of the proceeds going to charity.

The proceeds from this year’s Pink in the Rink Night will benefit the American Cancer Society, Mary Kay Foundation and the IceHogs Charitable Foundation.

The pink jerseys were auctioned and raffled off during the game with the winning bidder getting the jersey and the opportunity to get it signed by the player following the tilt. Goaltender Carter Hutton’s sweater had the highest bid in the blind silent auction.

Over the past four seasons, the annual Pink in the Rink game has raised $81,596 for breast cancer research.
Pretty cool. I'd want that Carter Hutton jersey too.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote