HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Thanks for screwing us over (JVR)

Old
01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Steeltown

vCash: 500
2 goals? He will probably win the Richard and Art Ross while watching over the city of Toronto at night stopping crime and wearing a cape.

Steeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
2 goals? He will probably win the Richard and Art Ross while watching over the city of Toronto at night stopping crime and wearing a cape.
That's it? No Conn Smythe and world peace? Bust.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Prongo
Beer

Leaf fans are probably loving him right now, but don't fret my friends, he will disappear for 5-6 games before having another good one. He has done it throughout his career so far, and has done nothing to show he won't continue that trend.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:17 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Leaf fans are probably loving him right now, but don't fret my friends, he will disappear for 5-6 games before having another good one. He has done it throughout his career so far, and has done nothing to show he won't continue that trend.
what happens if he plays like tonight for the next 5 games?

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:18 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
then his cold slump will be that greater

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
We actually don't know. Last time he did something like that was probably the playoffs against Boston. He ended up missing most of the following year before being traded to you guys.

01-23-2013, 11:13 PM
FlyingHigh28*

So many JVR haters it's hilarious

He was on a 35 goal / 35 assist / 70 point pace in 2011-2012 before injuries / trying to play through injuries decimated his crucial 3rd year in the league and then Homer decided to give up on him and get terrible value for him by trading him for a 1 dimensional defenseman.

He's only 23 and he went the NCAA route of development and people assume the inconsistency will continue and he'll never get there. It's ridiculous.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I know, I kid.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:19 PM
s3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
So many JVR haters it's hilarious

He was on a 35 goal / 35 assist / 70 point pace in 2011-2012 before injuries / trying to play through injuries decimated his crucial 3rd year in the league and then Homer decided to give up on him and get terrible value for him by trading him for a 1 dimensional defenseman.

He's only 23 and he went the NCAA route of development and people assume the inconsistency will continue and he'll never get there. It's ridiculous.
I have to agree. I can understand the impatience with his inconsistency, but I wouldn't have traded him, especially after an injury ridden year. I wish him the best and am sad to see him gone.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:06 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
JVR is nothing without Kadri

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:11 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

JVR should be referred to as DVR..because we've seen his act over and over again like a video recording. He's great when he's got his game but when he doesn't it's painful to witness...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:34 AM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
JVR should be referred to as DVR..because we've seen his act over and over again like a video recording. He's great when he's got his game but when he doesn't it's painful to witness...
Take a step back for a second and look at what you wrote and realize how stupid it sounds. Any player is not good when they "don't have their game". I realize you were attempting to come up with a creative way to restate the same old boring line that "JVR is inconsistent", but what ended up coming out was an extremely dumb statement.

Also, as I've stated now several times, a 23 year old power forward who went the NCAA route of development struggled with consistency issues over his first 3 years (w/ the 3rd year being injury riddled); OH THE HORROR.

There once was this player named John LeClair, maybe you've heard of him? His original team gave up on him too after 3 years and change of inconsistent play. At the time his original team gave up on him, LeClair was 24 (JVR is 23). LeClair's best stat line at the time was 19 goals, 25 assists, 44 points (JVR's best year was 21 goals, 19 assists, 40 points).

The similarities are uncanny. Hopefully the similarities end there. If not, then we'll regret this trade for the next decade.

Oh, and just for fun (since you claim JVR has consistency issues that he'll never get over), the last 30 games that JVR played for the Flyers when healthy looked like this: 15 goals, 8 assists, 23 points.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Take a step back for a second and look at what you wrote and realize how stupid it sounds. Any player is not good when they "don't have their game". I realize you were attempting to come up with a creative way to restate the same old boring line that "JVR is inconsistent", but what ended up coming out was an extremely dumb statement.

Also, as I've stated now several times, a 23 year old power forward who went the NCAA route of development struggled with consistency issues over his first 3 years (w/ the 3rd year being injury riddled); OH THE HORROR.

There once was this player named John LeClair, maybe you've heard of him? His original team gave up on him too after 3 years and change of inconsistent play. At the time his original team gave up on him, LeClair was 24 (JVR is 23). LeClair's best stat line at the time was 19 goals, 25 assists, 44 points (JVR's best year was 21 goals, 19 assists, 40 points).

The similarities are uncanny. Hopefully the similarities end there. If not, then we'll regret this trade for the next decade.

Oh, and just for fun (since you claim JVR has consistency issues that he'll never get over), the last 30 games that JVR played for the Flyers when healthy looked like this: 15 goals, 8 assists, 23 points.

You are so smart...teach me your enlightened ways. BTW JVR is no LeClair and never will be....

JVR is going to continue to be INCONSISTENT b/c personally I don't think he has the mental fortitude to be consistent but it's a judgement call just like your belief he will prove otherwise. We shall see....

I liked JVR but I always had my doubts and still do.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:34 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:

What constitutes "healthy"?

7 games in the playoffs, he had 2 points. All of last season (43 games), he had 24 points. So where is your sample size coming from exactly?

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
cheesesteak

That's why I didn't wanna trade JVR for L Schenn because if he reaches his potential he'll at least hit 30 a couple times and could make Homer look stupid. Can Luke be more then a shutdown Dman? I hope so.

I just feel like that could be a waste of a nice asset to help grab a #1D and could of been used in a deal for someone like Weber I'm sure B Schenn + JVR would have enticed Nashville.

cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:14 AM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
What constitutes "healthy"?

7 games in the playoffs, he had 2 points. All of last season (43 games), he had 24 points. So where is your sample size coming from exactly?
That would be the 11 playoff games in 2010-2011 and then the 19 games to start off 2011-2012. After that, he suffered the upper body injury that caused him to miss several weeks (muscle tear in midsection), then he just got back from that when he sustained his concussion. And not long after returning from that injury, he broke his foot. And on top of all of this, he was already playing all of 2011-2012 w/ his hip issue. At no point after the first 19 games was he truly healthy. Hell, based on the severity of his hip issue, I guess you could make the case that he was never truly healthy last season.

Regardless, we'll see what he does this year, provided he stays healthy. He should've gotten this last year w/ the Flyers, since his make or break 3rd year was marred by injuries, but now we'll get to watch and see what he can do in Toronto.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:10 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
JVR is nothing without Kadri
Well, who does this not apply to, really?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

This could be a trade that works out for both teams. Schenn has looked good in the early going. He's still 24 too and defensemen generally take longer to develop, no?

Old
01-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Maria Sharapova

Another goal for him on the PP quick hands in front of the net I love having a guy who's willing to get to the dirty areas. Seems like it's going to be one of those rare 1 for 1 good hockey trades.

Maria Sharapova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
This could be a trade that works out for both teams. Schenn has looked good in the early going. He's still 24 too and defensemen generally take longer to develop, no?
That's the way I see it playing out. If both guys reach their potential it will be a home run for both teams. The only way I think there is a "winner" or "loser" is if one guy reaches his potential and the other doesn't. As long as they stay about the same in their progression, its a wash. I guess that is pretty much stating the obvious though. Haha.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:13 PM
ilovetheflyers8

You guys are too harsh on JVR. I think I recall people comparing him to Leclair, Leclair retired before I watched hockey regularly but he didn't come into his own until 25 or 26.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...leclajo01.html

edit- Obviously he might never be that good, but if he does it may take some time. Also if he can put up something like 50 something points a season in the future that isn't bad though it is below the expectations people had for him

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 01-26-2013 at 07:40 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
You guys are too harsh on JVR. I think I recall people comparing him to Leclair, Leclair retired before I watched hockey regularly but he didn't come into his own until 25 or 26.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...leclajo01.html

edit- Obviously he might never be that good, but if he does it may take some time. Also if he can put up something like 50 something points a season in the future that isn't bad though it is below the expectations people had for him
He also had Eric ****ing Lindross centering him,

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:05 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He also had Eric ****ing Lindross centering him,
Good point.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:47 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Trade seems to be working out for both teams, so far at least.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Mgkibbles

Luke Schenn needs an Old Spice ad after a game like that. Goal, assist and 11 hits.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote