HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - 5.0 - The "Doughty Money Vs. Lowball Bridge" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 07:54 PM
JustAHabFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Marc Bergevin is a first year GM, before judging if he's good or not, can we wait at least one full year of play.....

he made a mistakes, it needs to be manage, but it's not the end of the world.... but i'll say this, the way this story ends will determine more what Bergevin is all about....
I am not impressed with a GM who tried to make a point by sacrifying his best player.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I am not impressed with a GM who tried to make a point by sacrifying his best player.
Price got a contract

Old
01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
No we don't. If he blows this, we know all we need to know.
thank you for saying exactly what i'm saying, the way he handles this situation will determine what he's all about.... Unless you already deciced that he will blow this and should be gone.... You know what, i have a strange feeling that whatever happen, is job will not be in jeopardy soon....

Old
01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Price got a contract
I should have said one of his best player. If Price got 6M+ contract, Subban should get 5M+ contract.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoockeyrocks View Post
only trade i think i will remotely consider is Subban for Yakupov

but I think that PK is much more needed in Montreal!

the only reason i say Yakupov is because he and agally got along so well in Sarnia, that they could be a deady combo in montreal for years to come. but i want PK Subban to stay in Montreal
Yakupov is a selfish bum, i would prefer Couturier in Philly or Benn in Dallas

Old
01-23-2013, 08:05 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
first of you say PK is his best player, he may have a different assesment of the situation, and if pleasing PK (if he's not sure about him) and risking other problem with cap and future signings may not be in the best interest of the Habs... and let's never forget this is a Habs fans board, not a PK Subban board....

Old
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
"Ultimately, heading towards the direction of a trade...ultimately I think this ends up with a trade"

-Bob McKenzie

tsn.ca

watch it for yourself
This morning (on the radio), Bob was saying that if this keeps on going too long. That the Habs will probably look into trading him. I don't think he's saying we're currently trying to shop PK. He's just saying that if this keeps going for say (just as an example), another week or two. That the Habs will look into trading him instead of wasting time and effort. How is this any surprise?

Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
If MacKenzie said is true then my guess is that MB is offering PK around 3M and PK is asking for around 6M. We are ******ed.
That's what it sounds like... man.

Montreal has a few choices here:

1. Meet in the middle... this is what we're all hoping for.

2. Cave. I don't like paying this guy 6 mil per and quite frankly if that's what he's asking for I wouldn't be inclined to give it now. That being said, it would be far from the worst contract in the leauge and we'd get to keep a cornerstone player.

3. Make him sit. This is the advantage of having an RFA. PK has no leverage here. We can make him sit until he agrees to a contract. Problem here is that he sits now and the well could be poisoned for the future. The plus side is though that it sends a message to Don Meehan that the club won't be pushed aournd and Meehan loses credibility with his own client.

4. Deal him. Let's just hope it doesn't come to this because dealing away a 23 year old with his kind of potential could (and probably would) be disastrous.

If it were me, I'd try everything I could to meet in the middle and even a litle more. I'd be willing to give in a little bit and hope that PK meets me there. If not, I just make him sit. He can demand a trade all he wants, I wouldn't deal him.

He's not going to sit out long as it doesn't benefit him and if it's a two or three year deal he's still an RFA when it comes up again and then you can give him the vault.

As I said before, I hope cooler heads prevail here because it would absolutley suck to lose this guy. Bobby Mac has ruined my day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
This morning (on the radio), Bob was saying that if this keeps on going too long. That the Habs will probably look into trading him. I don't think he's saying we're currently trying to shop PK. He's just saying that if this keeps going for say (just as an example), another week or two. That the Habs will look into trading him instead of wasting time and effort. How is this any surprise?
He was asked what he thought was the most likely outcome and he said he expected a trade. He then went on to justify his opinion by saying the two sides are too far apart. So that is not good.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Mats86

Subban is prone to brain cramps defensively....I wouldn't give him 6 million either

Old
01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Bergevin said he had no intentions on trading PK, the day he will say that he's now looking at every options, i'll start believing that it is a possibility.... than again, Bobby Lou in Vancouver is on the trading block for almost 9 months.... so thinking of trading PK might be a long process......

Old
01-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Yakupov is a selfish bum, i would prefer Couturier in Philly or Benn in Dallas
Greetings from the Stars board, came in here because I too saw Bob's take on the whole Subban mess.

Over on the Stars board there hasn't been much said in way of a trade (re: Benn), but we're just as frustrated as you are I'm sure.

From what the reporters said, though, it would appear Subban's camp is further from a deal than Benn's.

Personally I don't see either team giving a trade much thought; both Subban and Benn are integral pieces to their respective team's future.

Gotta admit, though, we'd both make a killing, eh?

SnapVirus

Its sad.

Subban should have been on the team picture and Subban should have been in the game opener.

I think, nobody in his right mind, would want to trade him. And Bergevin probably doesnt want to make 'that hell of a move' in his first NHL trade as a GM. And he wont.

-But on one side, you have a new GM that doesnt want to look he can get walk on and ****. And at this point in time, if he agrees, he lost.

-On the other, one greedy and experienced agent, that do his job ****ing well.

The only thing that could fix this ****, is if both parties put water in their wines and accept a bit more/little than what they expect.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Can't wait to go through this with Galchenyuk if he becomes what we hope in the summer of 2015 or 2016. Going to be AWESOME.

Or is MB going to bend his petty philosophy for someone he drafted?

Stubbs article: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...837/story.html
Great piece...

I don't care what Bob MacKenzie thinks, there's now way they trade him...

Old
01-23-2013, 08:11 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Subban is prone to brain cramps defensively....I wouldn't give him 6 million either
As is every D-man. He more than makes up for it. He's very good defensively. Hell, he's better defensively than he is offensively.

Subban's the type of player where his mistakes get magnified big time. People are still remembering the giveaway in the Oilers game. Let it go.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:12 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
If it were me, I'd try everything I could to meet in the middle and even a litle more. I'd be willing to give in a little bit and hope that PK meets me there. If not, I just make him sit. He can demand a trade all he wants, I wouldn't deal him.

He's not going to sit out long as it doesn't benefit him and if it's a two or three year deal he's still an RFA when it comes up again and then you can give him the vault.
THIS but more the let him sit part.....

Old
King Niinimaa*

I say we sit him, until his RFA days are over.

Old
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Its sad.

Subban should have been on the team picture and Subban should have been in the game opener.

I think, nobody in his right mind, would want to trade him. And Bergevin probably doesnt want to make 'that hell of a move' in his first NHL trade as a GM. And he wont.

-But on one side, you have a new GM that doesnt want to look he can get walk on and ****. And at this point in time, if he agrees, he lost.

The only thing that could fix this ****, is if both parties put water in their wines and accept a bit more/little than what they expect.
Man this sounds like the continuation of the lockout. What a ****ing nightmare.

Really I bet it's just |.| big

Old
01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Its sad.

Fair enough, but I really don't want Subban getting traded over a stupid rule and a GM's ego. Why does he HAVE to get a bridge contract? If Gally and Gallagher exceed expectations and become our top players, will they have to sign bridge contracts to? It's stupid. Don't break the bank, but give him a decent deal.

Old
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...id=15122&id=17

He talks about it at 4:45.

He made it clear it he had no ''evidence'' a trade could happen, purely his opinion more than anything.

Tonight he seemed far more certain.

Old
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
So, (and yes this is a pure guess)

Bergevin is probably offering...$3M? And PK is asking for $5.5M, roughly?

Why not just meet in the damn middle, lol....this is the lockout all over again.

As for term, I don't think that's worth losing a player over, but that's my personal position and Bergevin obviously has a different philosophy.
Or it could be MB offering $4 mil and PK Meehan is wanting $6.5/$7 mil

Old
01-23-2013, 08:15 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Niinimaa View Post
I say we sit him, until his RFA days are over.
Now that be a premiere probably in pro sport, and a funny one at that..... how may RFA years does he have? 4?

Old
01-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Or it could be MB offering $4 mil and PK Meehan is wanting $6.5/$7 mil
Meehan is a snake but he's far more familiar with the market rates than Bergevin is. Why would he possibly ask for something he won't get and refuse to negotiate?

Old
01-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
On the deal: I think Bergevin is right. From the start, I've held the same opinion that Subban is still one contract away from Tyler Myers numbers. A Michael Del Zotto-like contract is exactly the way they should go, but the team's needs seem to out-weigh almost everything, which is why Meehan is going for the big money right away. In the end, the people this hurts most is the team itself. It's a mini-lockout of a player after the season lockout ended and the team has taken notice, wether they will admit it or not. There is going to be a few players on the team who will be shaking their heads about all of this and as the days go on, the number of players shaking their heads will continue to grow.

On trading him: I don't think Bergevin gets judged right away, should Subban get traded out of town. That should only come once we see how it affects the product on the ice. If Subban is traded and the return is good, improving the team and their season, then Bergevin looks good. If the defense falters greatly, people will be talking about how Subban could have made the difference. As for the idea itself, I don't like it. A young player with that much potential and still so much potential to hit is very valuable, especially to a team that is weak on D. They need to retain him, but at the same time they need to keep him in check.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
01-23-2013, 08:18 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Meehan is a snake but he's far more familiar with the market rates than Bergevin is. Why would he possibly ask for something he won't get and refuse to negotiate?
We just have no idea do we.

It could be Meehan because we all know he gets commission.
Subban for obvious reasons, he is the team's best defenseman.
Bergevin for wanting to set a standard, that he's not going to get walked on.

Could be any one of those, but I agree that Meehan isn't an unfaithful businessman like that, it's not in his best interest to screw with what could potentially be a long lasting relationship with our GM its bad for business.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:18 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Fair enough, but I really don't want Subban getting traded over a stupid rule and a GM's ego. Why does he HAVE to get a bridge contract? If Gally and Gallagher exceed expectations and become our top players, will they have to sign bridge contracts to? It's stupid. Don't break the bank, but give him a decent deal.
it's a new CBA that was implement 2 weeks ago, maybe we see it as just a money thing... maybe in the long run giving PK 4 millions per for 2 years or 6 per for 6 or 7 years is not so good.... since the lock out ended how many big deals as been given?

Closed Thread