HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 09:22 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Neither game is available to me right now. Just the buffering circle. 20+ minutes now. Rebooting does nothing.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:27 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

"Sorry, the selected video isn't available right now."

Do they still give refunds?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Nater396
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Neither game is available to me right now. Just the buffering circle. 20+ minutes now. Rebooting does nothing.
I deleted and then downloaded the app earlier tonight. Maybe that will help you.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:55 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 475
Do you have to activate the free trial of center ice? Mine doesn't seem to work.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:41 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I've noticed a lot of hiccups, not just with NBC. Okay, NBC was one. It blacked out most of the third after switching to Pens/Flyers. One of the Caps games started freezing like crazy on Center Ice, in an irritating 10 minute span.Dunno what channel Wings/Stars were on, also had whatever Center Ice sent, and they started freezing during the player intros.
Interesting. Are you with Rogers for your Centre Ice as well???

I noticed one audio annd video hiccup again this evening during the Pens and Leafs game on TSN.

It's very strange as when I had Centre Ice through Bell...I never had any auditory or visual hiccups.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Stars Fan
Rookie User

Fox Sports SW and SW+ give me my Stars games. Therefore, no need for Center Ice.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouendan1 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the case, I did the same thing a few days ago and it took until the end of the day for me to get to watch games.
I'm pretty sure the activation is instantaneous. Just launch a different browser to access GameCenter, or clean the cache in your present browser, and you should be able to watch games right away.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Faterson

Praise where praise is due: the Bruins @ Rangers game went into overtime tonight, and GameCenter Live made the full-length replay of that game available on the iPad in less than an hour (!) after the game ended.

Kudos to the NHL! That's the way to do it. Hopefully, this is a good sign that the service will continue improving over the next few days and weeks. I was 100% satisfied last season, and I'm confident they can get it right this season as well. (The blackouts, however, are unacceptable, especially in Europe.)

Old
01-23-2013, 11:19 PM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I can't confirm any bull**** 48-hour NHL policy here. All NHL games are available in full-length replays here within a few hours after completion, even those that were (unjustifiably) blacked out live.

If you actually see 48 hours anywhere, complain with GCL tech support, and give them hell. It's completely unacceptable.
It's true that the majority of completed games are made available for on-demand viewing a few hours after conclusion. But "majority" does not equal "all." Last season, there were a few random games here and there where the full-length replays were not uploaded more than 24 hours after the game's end. The rationale for the NHL's 48 hour policy is to give the operators and tech people running GCL some slack. If there's a problem with uploading a particular game for whatever reason, the 48 hour policy protects the league from people lodging complaints about the delay and demanding compensation.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Faterson

Right, the 48 hours stuff is just their cover in case anyone complained. It's definitely an exception, not the rule.

As far as I could see, so far this season, only 1 game took a long time to upload (Anaheim's first game), but all the others on all game days were uploaded very promptly.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Phanatic88888

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatNYR View Post
Same for me. It definitely serves its purpose as a service. I have not had one single laggy moment and I've watched 3 live games + 2 full replays up until now.

Now if they would also include the 4500 kbps, it would be great.
I linked my Roku 2 and am not impressed. MLB.TV on Roku adapts to 6mbps which is 720p. I have 30 meg cable. PS3 adapts to 4.5meg for MLB.tv and Gamecenter. My ipad 3 quality looks better thru the Apple HDMI digital adapter I have than the Roku.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Sinochick

Okay this is weird. Since the Leafs/Pens game tonight is a TSN broadcast, that game should be blacked out here in Canada. And indeed it was on my Ipad GCL app - when I tried to watch the game from the "schedule" tab it said that I could not watch the game as it was blacked out in my area. So I clicked on another game to watch. While I was watching the other game, there is a list of games scores shown on the top bar of the Ipad screen. When I clicked on the Leafs/Pens game from that top bar it showed the Pens feed of the game. Weird......

Old
01-24-2013, 02:07 AM
Zubrusaurus Rex

I love how the finished games in Gamecenter Live are marked as "Final", "Final OT" or "Final SO", even when you have scores marked as "Off". Why couldn't they just have "Final" for all and not give massive spoilers?

For clarification: This is apparently only for the games played the previous night. Still, annoying that they give away the outcome (the winner is in grey as well, I noticed) if you want to watch the game when you wake up.

Last edited by Zubrusaurus Rex: 01-24-2013 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old
01-24-2013, 02:14 AM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrusaurus Rex View Post
I love how the finished games in Gamecenter Live are marked as "Final", "Final OT" or "Final SO", even when you have scores marked as "Off". Why couldn't they just have "Final" for all and not give massive spoilers?
Where are you seeing those? When I turn scores off the only thing I see in the game ribbon up top are the team shortforms.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Zubrusaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
Where are you seeing those? When I turn scores off the only thing I see in the game ribbon up top are the team shortforms.
below the shortforms:

BOS
NYR
Final OT

It seems to disappear after some time though, because Monday's games (last OT games, as far as I can tell) are just "Final".

May seem like a minor issue, but pretty damn annoying when you want to watch the games during the morning hours (in Europe, that is).

Old
01-24-2013, 03:25 AM
Kirkpatrick

Weird, this is what I see for tonight's games:

It wouldn't be a minor issue to me either, knowing if a game goes to OT is a pretty huge spoiler!

Last edited by Kirkpatrick: 01-24-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old
01-24-2013, 05:46 AM
Zubrusaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
Weird, this is what I see for tonight's games:

It wouldn't be a minor issue to me either, knowing if a game goes to OT is a pretty huge spoiler!
Yeah, it is...

It might be because I have to go via Viaplay, the Swedish provider. Last year, when we Europeans could buy GCL directly, I didn't have this problem.

I e-mailed GCL, so we'll see what they say.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

I like the Center Ice preview, however they play that same ad "Hockey is back", during every commercial break. Gets irritating after the first 3 times. Also, they have only 5 HD channels, but 13 SD. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Despite those two factors, Center Ice is a good product, and it's nice to watch hockey on a 55'' television. It's beautiful.

Also thinking of getting GameCenter Live whenever the CI free preview ends. How bad is the delay?

Old
01-24-2013, 06:56 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Everything worked fine for me yesterday. And no blackouts, yay!

Old
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
RC87

The framerate of Gamecenter sucks. Panning from end to end is a choppy mess.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
ChaseMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC87 View Post
The framerate of Gamecenter sucks. Panning from end to end is a choppy mess.
I have this issue with anything Flash based. But iPad and Boxee Box browser are totally smooth. What do the other devices use (atv, roku, ps3, xbox)?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

For the people who only have PS3, is there some kind of discount for the two weeks of the season they'll miss?

The website said nothing about the app being unavailable until recently.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:21 AM
eddywatson

Send a message via AIM to eddywatson Send a message via MSN to eddywatson Send a message via Yahoo to eddywatson
hey guys ive just got 2 questions about GameCenter LIVE

1. On the xbox360 app in options what is the TICKER ON/OFF option?
What does it mean/do?

2. Again on the Xbox360 app... is there an option to view the hits in a game? on nhl.com the only way you can view hits in the highlight section is to click the play button next to the hit. but the xbox360 highlights dont show any hits

cheers

Old
01-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Coog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrusaurus Rex View Post
Yeah, it is...

It might be because I have to go via Viaplay, the Swedish provider. Last year, when we Europeans could buy GCL directly, I didn't have this problem.

I e-mailed GCL, so we'll see what they say.
So, you bought the whole package then. I was stunned with disbelieve when I realized I had to buy their whole tv-package AND their whole movie package just to get the sports channel and NHL. Fogetaboutit. I would have paid a lot for just the NHL but I don't want their stenkin tv channels. A poor business decision by their part.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Anywho, question. You can watch replays of games once they're over? Example, say I want to watch the Pens/Flyers game that aired Jan. 19th. Possible? For the 360, just to note.
Just going to nudge this from earlier. Curious.

Closed Thread