Matt Stajan

Old
01-23-2013, 07:57 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post
Just wondering, would there be any situation in which the Flames would be willing to deal Stajan to the Canucks.

Yes. Any situation to deal Stajan is a good one, if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
The Canucks would probably have to give up Lapierre as a secondary piece in the deal...

Do not want.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
If the Flames want to ensure they achieve the record for worst face percentage in league history and attempt to compete with the absolute worst group of centres in some time, then yes, they should Stajan.

Trading Stajan would make sense in two scenarios. Either someone on the current roster or on the farm team step up and make him redundant, or the Flames move to a rebuilding phase. Right now, they can't afford to move him, as sad as that may seem to some.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:23 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
I've liked Stajan so far this year (two whole games, I know). If what I've seen is the new "Stajan 2.0" I'd honestly a) want to wait until the Flames are out of the playoff race, and b) want a return of a 1st round pick (given that Van's is likely to be very low).

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Do not want.
It's basically Lapierre or Malhotra as the return for a center who can win faceoffs. Lapierre is unpopular. Malhotra recently suffered a significant injury (eye) that permanently reduced his overall effectiveness and he is close to retirement.

I suppose there is a third option. Ryan Kesler is expected to miss the entire season. Vancouver is looking to win now. Calgary is looking to win in the future.

Stajan+Bouwmeester for Kesler+Ballard might be a good framework; it gives Vancouver a stronger roster "right now"; it makes Edler potentially tradable for someone to replace Kesler long-term; it gives Calgary a legitimate #1C who can play in all situations and is good on faceoffs, plus a solid D to fill the hole left by JBo.

The cap situation is comparable, but Kesler has four years left, Ballard three, and Bouwmeester and Stajan two each.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
I've liked Stajan so far this year (two whole games, I know). If what I've seen is the new "Stajan 2.0" I'd honestly a) want to wait until the Flames are out of the playoff race, and b) want a return of a 1st round pick (given that Van's is likely to be very low).
As much as I'd love to see that, I just don't. I could see Stajan heating up and netting a 2nd + 4th, but teams will be VERY hesitant to part with their 1st's this year.

But you're right, Stajan has looked good thus far... Lets hope to see more improvement under Hartley!

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:26 PM
BVicious

with Gaustad going for a 1st last year the price sits there. Lol

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:31 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
It's basically Lapierre or Malhotra as the return for a center who can win faceoffs. Lapierre is unpopular. Malhotra recently suffered a significant injury (eye) that permanently reduced his overall effectiveness and he is close to retirement.

I suppose there is a third option. Ryan Kesler is expected to miss the entire season. Vancouver is looking to win now. Calgary is looking to win in the future.

Stajan+Bouwmeester for Kesler+Ballard might be a good framework; it gives Vancouver a stronger roster "right now"; it makes Edler potentially tradable for someone to replace Kesler long-term; it gives Calgary a legitimate #1C who can play in all situations and is good on faceoffs, plus a solid D to fill the hole left by JBo.

The cap situation is comparable, but Kesler has four years left, Ballard three, and Bouwmeester and Stajan two each.
I think this is bad for Van and I think they want nothing to do with another defensemen.

Something like
Stajan + Gio + Stempniak
for
Plekanecs + Emelin

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Thumper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I think this is bad for Van and I think they want nothing to do with another defensemen.

Something like
Stajan + Gio + Stempniak
for
Plekanecs + Emelin
That is the worst fataing idea i've ever seen for a trade, Gio is worth more alone.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:39 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
That is the worst fataing idea i've ever seen for a trade, Gio is worth more alone.
Homerism is the best thing. Maybe take out Stemps but Emelin is a really physical top 4 defensemen and with Widemen Gio isn't as important.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Not a bad idea but Arnott is a very sheltered player last year seeing over 2 minutes of power play and no pk time I don't see how he fits in the same way Stajan does.
The Blues had arguably had the best top 9 group of forwards in the West last year. I actually watched alot of Blues games, and while Arnott is no longer the offensive dynamo that he once was, he really impressed me. He plays a smart game, responsible in his end, decent on the draw, and can provide scoring, and his size would be an absolute asset to our roster. I think he is capable of scoring more if he saw his minutes increased. I don't think he would of got an invite because with Stajan, Cervenka and Backlund, where would he play?

Anyways, if Feaster could call Arnott's agent and line up signing him to a contract in advance, I would make that move without blinking. Just don't give him a 2 year deal and I'm fine with it.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:59 PM
MarkGio

Im shocked so many people responded. This is obviously a Canucks fan teasing us

But Stajan deserves some props for playing hard and given'er despite being scrutenized for being over paid

Last edited by MarkGio: 01-24-2013 at 12:25 AM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:22 AM
tfong

Instead of trading him to the Nucks, we should trade him for Gaustad. Now THATS someone I want for my 3rd line

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:46 PM
saillias

Are all of you really sitting there with straight faces typing out that we can't afford to trade Matt Stajan. The problem isn't that we can't go without him, the problem is that no GM in this league will call for him or take him back as a piece in a deal. The Canucks don't want his cap hit. WE don't want his cap hit. If Feaster had any sense he would have been bought out last week

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:36 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Are all of you really sitting there with straight faces typing out that we can't afford to trade Matt Stajan. The problem isn't that we can't go without him, the problem is that no GM in this league will call for him or take him back as a piece in a deal. The Canucks don't want his cap hit. WE don't want his cap hit. If Feaster had any sense he would have been bought out last week
Our team is at 43% at faceoffs and you want to buyout the one guy that has taken more than 10 faceoffs and is above 45% Jesus we would never have the puck

Old
01-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
When your team's centre depth is:

Tanguay (hasn't played centre since junior)
Backlund (never scored more than 30 points in the NHL)
Cervenka (never played an NHL game)
Stajan (has actually produced points at an NHL level and can win a faceoff)
Begin (hasn't played hockey for like two years now)
Kolanos (yeah, him)

Yet you don't appear to see the problem with trading him or buying him out?

Cool. Glad you're an optimist.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote