HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
Well I was just saying its possible to move up. How often do teams have 3 first round picks and a decent amount of defensive prospects. Its going to depend on draft day what the depth of the draft looks like.

Not that it matters at this point though since at this rate the jackets are poised for the 1st and 2nd overall picks with the kings and rangers being winless

At any rate, I mentioned something on Morgan Klimchuk a bit ago:

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/reg...der-the-radar/

Really like this kid, hearing him speak somewhat personally was a real treat; he's well-spoken, and would much rather dish credit to his teammates than keep it himself. His offensive upside is that of a second line forward in the NHL - maybe better, if he continues to develop at the pace he's on. Could be a very nice find in the 25-50 range of the draft.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

"Late draft picks"? You were talking about Barkov, Drouin, and Lindholm. That's basically, like, every top-5 pick not named MacKinnon or Jones. Given that the average drafting position of the Blue Jackets is around 5 or 6, those would qualify by historic CBJ organization standards as "high".

The objection was about moving up, with mid-round draft picks, to the top three. To the TOP THREE.

Do you also think it ludicrous that folks might get mocked for suggesting we trade Jared Boll and Derek Dorsett for Sidney Crosby?

NUANCE, ************, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Literally look at my last 5 posts and you'll see me mentioning Hartman, Domi, and Furcale. But hey let's dissect my posts again.

Also who the hell are you to say three first rounders wouldn't land a top 3 pick? Once again no one proposed a trade. Chill out you sound mad.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Also who the hell are you to say three first rounders wouldn't land a top 3 pick? Once again no one proposed a trade. Chill out you sound mad.
Colorado had four first-rounders (12, 17, 19, and 20) and tried to move up to #1 (Lecavalier) in 1998. No dice.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Colorado had four first-rounders (12, 17, 19, and 20) and tried to move up to #1 (Lecavalier) in 1998. No dice.
I said top three not 1 st overall. Some teams are set on not giving up their pick but three picks and a player would make most teams think about it.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Literally look at my last 5 posts and you'll see me mentioning Hartman, Domi, and Furcale. But hey let's dissect my posts again.

The New York Islanders offered 7 picks to move up two spots last year. That didn't even work.

Recent history, as has been mentioned above, suggests that, the talent at the top end of the drafts has been so good that moving up has been next to impossible.

You're a team in a position to draft Nathan MacKinnon or Seth Jones. both guys have franchise making potential. Columbus comes along and offers you their three lower picks (for argument's sake, a #8/9 overall, a #20ish, and a #25ish) for your spot. Do you deal away a guy that could be the face of your franchise for the next 10 years for three lower-end prospects? Really think about it.

For comparison's sake, let's go back to 2008, when Tampa Bay found their franchise player, Steven Stamkos, first overall; and the LA Kings drafted Drew Doughty at #2, who was on their top defense pair in a Stanley Cup run. The players picked 9th, 20th, and 25th that year? Josh Bailey, Michael del Zotto, and Greg Nemisz.

This year, there is MacKinnon and Jones, and then a slight drop off to 3/4 more guys (depending on who you ask), followed by another slight drop to 5/6 guys, and then there is a huge list of guys that could go anywhere from 15-45 in the draft. Somewhat similar to that draft, in that respect, but I think this one will be better. There is a ton of depth in this draft, but the guys at the top end are so good, that no GM in his right mind will be willing to deal out of a spot where they may select them.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1542
For the record, I would rather make the playoffs this year than have a high draft pick. Let the Kings and Rangers fold. I am tired of losing. Let's start winning, now.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Hold on a sec...
Quote:
I agree with you Id like to get one of Lindholm, Drouin, or Barkov. Trade up, I'm tired of so-so talent that isn't quite elite.
Yes, I believe that was the post I was responding to. The one in which you talk about top-5 prospects and insist that we really ought to trade up because you're so tired of "so-so guys" like, oh, Hartman, Domi, and Furcale.

Quote:
Also who the hell are you to say three first rounders wouldn't land a top 3 pick? Once again no one proposed a trade.
Oh? No trade proposals?

Wait a moment...
Quote:
You also hav to consider that the jackets can trade the picks to move up. So say the jackets do better than expected and get the 9th overall. Kings make playoffs but lose first rd and get 18th overall. Jackets could trade 9th and 18th to try to move up to a top 3.
Gosh, that sure looks like a proposed trade to me.

And I suggest that it's not going to happen because it has been tried repeatedly and it has failed repeatedly over the past fifteen years or more. I don't think that pattern is about to change just because this time the fans of the team that wants to make the trade want it really, really bad.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
01-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
I said top three not 1 st overall. Some teams are set on not giving up their pick but three picks and a player would make most teams think about it.
Ah, and now we're adding players. (Or a player.) So now, instead of going with spread out depth and ability (you know, the model that most successful teams use), we're going to go with the Savior Player model (y'know, like what we tried with Nash as "savior" for the longest time).

I don't think I like the potential cost of that arguably highly dubious drafting strategy.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Missed this.
Quote:
Fucale looked great in the Top Prospects game idk if he'd be a second rounder but worth a look. As for late picks, I like Domi, Hartman, and other guys that fit our new idea to building this organization.
And this.
Quote:
If we don't land one of the big 4, I'll be glad to get one of Lindholm, Monahan and hopefully Domi and Hartman later on in the first round. Hartman reminds me of Jenner with less offense.
My point being if we trade up and land a top 5 talent so be it. I think it'd be a smart idea because this actually makes our depth more talented. Thats why teams that have all depth and little talent dont win cups. You need talent AND depth. Now that we actually have some depth, time to get some talent. However I find that Davidson actually making a trade that involves all of our picks, somewhat unlikely. Thus my opinions on late round guys such as Hartman, Domi, and Furcale even though I'd much prefer a more elite talent like Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm.

Quote:
Ah, and now we're adding players. (Or a player.) So now, instead of going with spread out depth and ability (you know, the model that most successful teams use), we're going to go with the Savior Player model (y'know, like what we tried with Nash as "savior" for the longest time).

I don't think I like the potential cost of that arguably highly dubious drafting strategy.
Tell me how adding A player "kills our depth and makes us a Savior Player Model." If we traded all 3 picks and Savard for example for Nathan Mackinnon, how does that not make us a better team? Oh wait that kills our depth. But not really...

Old
01-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

it all comes down to what a team needs and what the other wants to give up...we definitely have the assets to move up...if necessary...but it depends if we have the assets what the other team wants...

Old
01-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Missed this.

And this.

My point being if we trade up and land a top 5 talent so be it. I think it'd be a smart idea because this actually makes our depth more talented. Thats why teams that have all depth and little talent dont win cups. You need talent AND depth. Now that we actually have some depth, time to get some talent. However I find that Davidson actually making a trade that involves all of our picks, somewhat unlikely. Thus my opinions on late round guys such as Hartman, Domi, and Furcale even though I'd much prefer a more elite talent like Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm.
The only problem I see is that trading up to one of the major guys is pretty much not going to be feasible - about the only way we get one is if we end up in the top-5 or 6, or if some folks take a reach or two and we get a fortunate drop. It's like saying "I'd like to trade for another depth top-6 scorer, but I'd really prefer being able to trade for Claude Giroux." Of course one would prefer Claude Giroux. But some concept of realism and common sense has to come into play, and for some reason around here it is not yet common sense that trading up from the middle of the 1st round to the top of the 1st round is not a thing that happens.

Quote:
Tell me how adding A player "kills our depth and makes us a Savior Player Model." If we traded all 3 picks and Savard for example for Nathan Mackinnon, how does that not make us a better team? Oh wait that kills our depth. But not really...
Assuming that someone in the top-3 would even accept that (highly debatable), prospect depth isn't exactly something that you achieve once and then lean on for the rest of your days. It's a continually built thing. Taking shortcuts with it generally only makes sense when your roster is set and you're about to charge after a championship - not because you want to disclaim all faith in your ability to scout the middle of the first round in a deep draft and instead go after the new hotness everybody's talking about. That excites fans, but it doesn't necessarily make your team any better - or any more likely to be better.

I would much rather trust our newly revamped scouts to get a hit with three quality chances, rather than toss all those chances for an attempt at The Popular One (and thus an opportunity for the scouts to be lazy). Higher profile is not a guarantee, but trying to get it it when you're not already in position to have it fall into your lap is a pretty good way to end up on a wild goose chase. I would also vastly prefer that we have more quality prospects that can come together and develop side-by-side in Springfield - which can help everybody in the system rather than just our One Single Superstar and thus lead to better team cohesion. (And maybe a Calder Cup chance for the farm team... )

Old
01-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
The only problem I see is that trading up to one of the major guys is pretty much not going to be feasible - about the only way we get one is if we end up in the top-5 or 6, or if some folks take a reach or two and we get a fortunate drop. It's like saying "I'd like to trade for another depth top-6 scorer, but I'd really prefer being able to trade for Claude Giroux." Of course one would prefer Claude Giroux. But some concept of realism and common sense has to come into play, and for some reason around here it is not yet common sense that trading up from the middle of the 1st round to the top of the 1st round is not a thing that happens.

Assuming that someone in the top-3 would even accept that (highly debatable), prospect depth isn't exactly something that you achieve once and then lean on for the rest of your days. It's a continually built thing. Taking shortcuts with it generally only makes sense when your roster is set and you're about to charge after a championship - not because you want to disclaim all faith in your ability to scout the middle of the first round in a deep draft and instead go after the new hotness everybody's talking about. That excites fans, but it doesn't necessarily make your team any better - or any more likely to be better.

I would much rather trust our newly revamped scouts to get a hit with three quality chances, rather than toss all those chances for an attempt at The Popular One (and thus an opportunity for the scouts to be lazy). Higher profile is not a guarantee, but trying to get it it when you're not already in position to have it fall into your lap is a pretty good way to end up on a wild goose chase. I would also vastly prefer that we have more quality prospects that can come together and develop side-by-side in Springfield - which can help everybody in the system rather than just our One Single Superstar and thus lead to better team cohesion. (And maybe a Calder Cup chance for the farm team... )
Fair enough. However I dont necessarily think we'll be in the middle of the draft, I'll hope to be. Yes I know you said so for the sake of the argument but just saying we have a chance if were in 6-10 range with our pick.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Fair enough. However I dont necessarily think we'll be in the middle of the draft, I'll hope to be. Yes I know you said so for the sake of the argument but just saying we have a chance if were in 6-10 range with our pick.
'kay. I still don't think that makes it any more probable under the circumstances, but, well... at that point, at least, it's actually happened before. So that can be filed under "simple disagreement" rather than "common sense failure".

Old
01-21-2013, 01:17 AM
Gulvorn

Jackets finish 1 point from making the playoffs....and win the lottery draft to get the 1st overall pick.

Then use the Rangers 2nd overall and Kings 3rd overall to make a sweep of MacKinnon, Jones, and Drouin.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:25 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
For the record, I would rather make the playoffs this year than have a high draft pick. Let the Kings and Rangers fold. I am tired of losing. Let's start winning, now.
Yes. If a team is good enough to make the playoffs, theoretically it can be argued that they need the help of a #1 pick less than had they finished last. That's the theory behind the draft, anyway, isn't it? If we stink, yet again, and get a top three pick, I'll welcome the added talent. If we improve enough, over the next two seasons, to make the playoffs, I'll be pleased by the progress of those already here and welcome the added talent that's earned through that improvement (lower draft choices, possibly more attractive to free agents, etc.).

Old
01-21-2013, 12:46 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

The days of drafting the Sedin's back to back is

probably over.. and I don't know much about prospects other than the fact they say this draft has an extremely talented top 40 to 50 players. With that said the Flyers changed their fortunes drafting Richards and Carter who were both mid 1st rounders

That being said it really does come down to making good decisions. I think the smart money is to come away with 3 first rounders and a high 2nd, not to trade it all for one or two players.

From what little I saw of the WJC I do like Seth Jones, McKinnon and Barkov - if that is obvious to randoms like me, maybe they are that much better. Drouin, Monahan and a few Russians looked pretty good too. I defer to JD & Sore loser

Old
01-23-2013, 07:54 PM
CBJFan19*

2013 Draft

What positions should we be looking at drafting this year? we seem to be stacked with D prospects, and IMO have 2 good goalie prospects with Forsberg and Dansk, plus Bobrovsky.

Wings? Centers?
if we had the 1st, 27th,28th, and 31st picks like this one mock i saw who would you hope to take with those 4?

Any opinions on MacKinnon vs Barkov vs Lindholm?

Old
01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19
if we had the 1st, 27th,28th, and 31st picks like this one mock i saw who would you hope to take with those 4?
BPA, BPA, BPA, and uh... BPA.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
BPA, BPA, BPA, and uh... BPA.

I agree.

Though, some people's version of BPA clearly differs from others. I think the Jackets are heading in the right direction as far as scouting though, and drafting more for character, grit, and determination, rather than pure skill with a dash of injury prone.

I really think we need to come away with at least two - preferably three - skilled forwards with our first four picks, which should all be in the top-50 or so. If we can do that, then I think the other pick can be spent for simply whoever the best player on the board is.

Whatever the case, this is a very good draft, and a great year to have three first round picks. So much versatility.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:58 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Then use the Rangers 2nd overall and Kings 3rd overall to make a sweep of MacKinnon, Jones, and Drouin.
Replace Drouin with Barkov though. Drouin is damn good, but Barkov is AMAZING!

If this was to happen(after I win the Mega Millions) I'd actually probably look at trading the #1(Jones) for a Lindros like trade package, making sure I got 2015 #1(McDavid) pick. Not that I don't like Jones(favorite player in this draft actually) but with our defensive depth we could stockpile picks/prospects for our dynasty. I mean what kind of package could we get from Edm. or NYI for Jones?

Old
01-24-2013, 01:00 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post

I agree.

Though, some people's version of BPA clearly differs from others. I think the Jackets are heading in the right direction as far as scouting though, and drafting more for character, grit, and determination, rather than pure skill with a dash of injury prone.

I really think we need to come away with at least two - preferably three - skilled forwards with our first four picks, which should all be in the top-50 or so. If we can do that, then I think the other pick can be spent for simply whoever the best player on the board is.

Whatever the case, this is a very good draft, and a great year to have three first round picks. So much versatility.
Couldn't agree more. I think this is Davidson's approach as well from the interviews he given so far. Might be 2-3 years for we see a couple of the players, but I have faith they'll be contributors

Old
01-24-2013, 03:00 AM
CBJFan19*

i think we need pure scorers bad. JAM, Atkinson, Jenner, Johansen seem to be the only scoring threat prospects i mean you have 5 great defensive prospects, plus Johnson, Niktin can both be pretty good and still have plenty of time ahead of them only being 26, in terms of experianced scorers you really dont have any real game changing threats untill Johansen or one of the younger guys step up.

i think if we picked say top 3 you have on you're board
MacKinnon
Barkov
Drouin

then hope to add Mantha and DuClair later IMO

Old
01-24-2013, 06:58 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
i think we need pure scorers badly. JAM, Atkinson, Jenner, Johansen seem to be the only scoring threat prospects i mean you have 5 great defensive prospects, plus Johnson, Niktin can both be pretty good and still have plenty of time ahead of them only being 26, in terms of experianced scorers you really dont have any real game changing threats untill Johansen or one of the younger guys step up.

i think if we picked say top 3 you have on you're board
MacKinnon
Barkov
Drouin

then hope to add Mantha and DuClair later IMO
For someone who is just getting started on the board, you seem to be catching on quite quickly. In response to the best player available peeps, I am a big fan of the BO(ffensive)PA. While Seth Jones draws Pronger comparisons, MacKinnon has drawn Crosby comparisons most of his life. This team needs a Crosby much more than a Pronger in my opinion. Although in reality they probably could use both.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:09 AM
alphafox

I think at this point the camps are looking at the draft and team two different ways. On one side (myslef included) seez this draft as our opportunity to land elite talent that someday give us a legitimate scoring threat and top line (we literally have not looked dangerous offensively this year) this doesnt necessarily mean that we are looking to return to the savior model but more the traditional 4 line model or in my case the Pittsburgh model. On the otherside are the people who prefer the nashville model where you build a without stars on the forward side and use your depth to cause mismatches. These philosophies require different drafting styles. The traditional/Pittsburgh model requires dominant fowards to enforce your will on the other team and necessitates high ceiling draft picks where as the depth model requires drafting alot of guys that are defensively responsible with some offensive potential. The first type of prospect is found almost entirely at the top of the draft where the second type can be found all over the 1st and subsequent rounds.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:10 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
For someone who is just getting started on the board, you seem to be catching on quite quickly. In response to the best player available peeps, I am a big fan of the BO(ffensive)PA. While Seth Jones draws Pronger comparisons, MacKinnon has drawn Crosby comparisons most of his life. This team needs a Crosby much more than a Pronger in my opinion. Although in reality they probably could use both.
i've just been doing alot of reading up on prospects while i've been sick at home trying to catch up theres stilll a good amount i dont understand about the game of hockey itself

Closed Thread