HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
MW6

vCash: 500
with Downie out for the season, could MoJo + Chimera + pick/Galiev be of any interest for them?

Old
01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
txpd

mcphee is a fool for getting ribeiro when he had perreault here already? seriously?

i see all the complaints about the lack of a 2c around here for years. i dont remember the tide of support for perreault. shall i return to the ribeiro trade thread to see if there was a chorus of boos because 85 is the man?

if you think gmgm sucks, thats fine there are fair arguments you can present. this?? is not one of them. drake is right. 85 is a backup.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Nevermind

Old
01-23-2013, 07:44 PM
txpd

who says the caps dont need him? who says that there was a worthwhile offer to trade him? did i miss something? did vancouver call and offer luongo for perreault?

Old
01-23-2013, 07:45 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
mcphee is a fool for getting ribeiro when he had perreault here already? seriously?

i see all the complaints about the lack of a 2c around here for years. i dont remember the tide of support for perreault. shall i return to the ribeiro trade thread to see if there was a chorus of boos because 85 is the man?

if you think gmgm sucks, thats fine there are fair arguments you can present. this?? is not one of them. drake is right. 85 is a backup.
85 is a backup, but i'm not feeling the Ribeiro love here. Skates like a bender and obviously has some attitude problems (complaining about refs, diving, whining, secretly insulting his past team).

He's got a wicked shot and is a good playmaker but I would like to see him skate a little better and harder and keep his mouth shut.

No more throwing your gloves in the air, diving, and talking to the media.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
who says the caps dont need him? who says that there was a worthwhile offer to trade him? did i miss something? did vancouver call and offer luongo for perreault?
When you look at Johansson though, wouldn't it have been better just to pick up another solid winger and let Marcus go on the 2nd center?

He clearly is struggling playing wing and wants to play Center. Ribeiro is good, don't get me wrong, but he's one of the weaker "1/2 line centers" in the NHL in my mind. You put him as the 1st line center he is easily one of the weakest. 2nd line center he is just average.

If only we got Cody Hodgson awhile back. That guy looks promising.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:48 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

So now that I've made fun of BradD for trading away the whole team, I proudly announce my plan to trade away the whole team:

To COL: Matthieu Perreault
To WSH: Ryan Wilson

To DET: Jeff Schultz + John Erskine
To WSH: DET 2nd 2013

Old
01-23-2013, 07:50 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Is getting hit in the face with a stick and being obviously cut diving now? Noted.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
When you look at Johansson though, wouldn't it have been better just to pick up another solid winger and let Marcus go on the 2nd center?

He clearly is struggling playing wing and wants to play Center. Ribeiro is good, don't get me wrong, but he's one of the weaker "1/2 line centers" in the NHL in my mind. You put him as the 1st line center he is easily one of the weakest. 2nd line center he is just average.

If only we got Cody Hodgson awhile back. That guy looks promising.
The asking price when Hodgson was on the market was Carlson (see #4). I'm fine with passing on him.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:28 PM
aquablue

We should really put MoJo back to his natural position, I'm not happy at all with his play at wing. I think #3C would suit him better than wing.

We need another winger at the deadline for sure though, that is not even debatable. Ovie needs someone better to play with on his opposite wing than MoJo or Brouwer, there is no question about it.

I can't suggest who to get, but I'd be willing to part with MoJo and Neuvirth. Get a cheap backup goalie and put Laich at 3C.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
We should really put MoJo back to his natural position, I'm not happy at all with his play at wing. I think #3C would suit him better than wing.

We need another winger at the deadline for sure though, that is not even debatable. Ovie needs someone better to play with on his opposite wing than MoJo or Brouwer, there is no question about it.

I can't suggest who to get, but I'd be willing to part with MoJo and Neuvirth. Get a cheap backup goalie and put Laich at 3C.
We'd be wise to hang on to Neuvirth until Holby establishes himself as a starting goalie.

Ovechkin and Backstrom don't need another star player as their linemate. On paper Brouwer actually seemed like a good fit, but in real life he never found the chemistry with either 8 or 19.

Having watched the last 2 games, I'm actually on board with the idea of pairing Ovi with Ribeiro. Ribeiro is adept in creating space for his linemates, and Ovi is currently being suffocated by the opposing defences. Of course I still insist Ovi needs to move back to LW. I'd try something like:

Ovi - Ribeiro - Brouwer
Wolski - Backstom - Johansson

Old
01-23-2013, 09:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree on the MoJo wing experiment. It's clear McPhee was hoping he could replace Semin and that's not working at Winger. He needs a C position to play his best IMO.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:08 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

If were looking for a Knuble replacement it should be Komarov...

Old
01-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I agree on the MoJo wing experiment. It's clear McPhee was hoping he could replace Semin and that's not working at Winger. He needs a C position to play his best IMO.
Our 3rd line is a checking line, which means that the 3C needs to be able to win draws and board battles, something Johansson is horrible at.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Our 3rd line is a checking line, which means that the 3C needs to be able to win draws and board battles, something Johansson is horrible at.
I know...unfortunately there's a logjam and Mojo doesn't seem 3rd line capable. Either they let Ribiero go and give the spot to MoJo next season, or they trade someone. Can't see that being Ribiero today, but McPhee has let more talented guys than Ribiero walk so maybe that's the plan.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
I know...unfortunately there's a logjam and Mojo doesn't seem 3rd line capable. Either they let Ribiero go and give the spot to MoJo next season, or they trade someone. Can't see that being Ribiero today, but McPhee has let more talented guys than Ribiero walk so maybe that's the plan.
Meh, I really don't see how switching to center will improve MJ's game. The way he's been playing, he would suck at any position. I also don't see the fact that we finally have some center depth as a negative.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Meh, I really don't see how switching to center will improve MJ's game. The way he's been playing, he would suck at any position. I also don't see the fact that we finally have some center depth as a negative.
You may be right, but his best NHL play has been at C hasn't it?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Halpysback

Johansson needs to play at C. Half of his offensive effectiveness comes from rushing the puck down the middle where he has space to stickhandle and maneuver. All of his defensive effectiveness is lost at wing.

Play him at C even if it's simply to raise his value and trade him for someone who fits with what we're building.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

If you're looking for a Knuble replacement you might as well go Petr Sykora who is sitting on the waiver wire.

Although probably not the best idea to randomly sign guys who are 36 to plug holes.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
It definitely has. And a bunch of people here have wondered why he isn't being developed there. But given our track record of making players better, it makes sense I guess.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:04 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
It definitely has. And a bunch of people here have wondered why he isn't being developed there. But given our track record of making players better, it makes sense I guess.
Let's move them to a whole different position and trade them when they start playing bad.

Makes sense.

Caps should've never brought in Ribeiro, like I said, and got another solid winger. Got a guy like Setoguchi or a Perron or something. Not those exact players but on that caliber. That's what we really need and we're not getting it. Instead we've got MoJo on wing and Wojtek Wolski on the 1st line, who has played great, but still. The whole reason Semin was "expendable" is because McPhee thought the Swedes could play on one line.

I said this before the season and you people laughed at me and said Johansson should serve as the winger. I said, that is ridiculous he won't do as well he plays better at center. I even called McPhee "incredibly stupid" for making that decision.

I can guarantee you once Forsberg comes over it's going to be Forsberg/Backstrom/Johansson for ***** and giggles. They'll keep Wolski on the first line with Ribeiro and Ovechkin. God that is going to be awful.

Fire McPhee if you have to but DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN. It sounds nice on paper but Backstrom struggling without Ovechkin, Johansson struggling on wing, and Forsberg a rookie is going to eff things up so bad.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Let's move them to a whole different position and trade them when they start playing bad.

Makes sense.

Caps should've never brought in Ribeiro, like I said, and got another solid winger. Got a guy like Setoguchi or a Perron or something. Not those exact players but on that caliber. That's what we really need and we're not getting it. Instead we've got MoJo on wing and Wojtek Wolski on the 1st line, who has played great, but still. The whole reason Semin was "expendable" is because McPhee thought the Swedes could play on one line.

I said this before the season and you people laughed at me and said Johansson should serve as the winger. I said, that is ridiculous he won't do as well he plays better at center. I even called McPhee "incredibly stupid" for making that decision.

I can guarantee you once Forsberg comes over it's going to be Forsberg/Backstrom/Johansson for ***** and giggles. They'll keep Wolski on the first line with Ribeiro and Ovechkin. God that is going to be awful.

Fire McPhee if you have to but DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN. It sounds nice on paper but Backstrom struggling without Ovechkin, Johansson struggling on wing, and Forsberg a rookie is going to eff things up so bad.
You want to fire mcphee for putting all the swedish players on the same line next year?

Old
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
He's been most productive on the wing. I don't think it matters what position he plays as long as he plays it downright scared. He ought to be buried down the depth chart and forced to find some gumption.

Center will help him not be such a constant wuss along the boards somewhat but he's going to need to man up either way.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
txpd

Quote:
a lot of centers dont translate well to wing. he's a center. i dont remember backstrom being impressive at wing when forced to play there.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:29 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
You want to fire mcphee for putting all the swedish players on the same line next year?

Just because they're Swedish doesn't mean they all belong on the same line. Johansson is failing miserably as a winger.

I doubt he'll be fired but he's on a short leash if we either fail to make the playoffs or get a 1st round exit this year. Even more of a shorter leash and a possible half-season firing if he puts all Swedes on the line next year and they fail miserably.

McPhee has a tendency to draft Russians because they're Russian or Swedes because they're Swedes. It's highly annoying. Tell me how the Anton Gustafsson thing went. I honestly believe if he didn't have this biasm we wouldn't have selected Anton Gustafsson and selected JORDAN EBERLE one pick later. Can you imagine?

Closed Thread