HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 09:10 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
PK Subban is overrated, besides why do we need another offensive minded d ? priority for the Oilers is a big winger or C
Last I checked, being able to put up points wasn't a bad thing, and Subban helps you in all 3 zones, he's not a one-dimensional player at all.

Plus, any deal for Subban likely includes a defenseman off the roster as well. Schultz would be a non-starter, but they could potentially ask for Petry/N.Schultz/Whitney in return.

Regardless of what the team's bigger need may be, you don't pass on the opportunity to add a player of Subban's calibre if you have the chance.

01-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Sheeshta

vCash: 500
I don't understand what universe Schultz is a non-starter but Subban isn't. Dude's not signing PK because he wants to inaugurate his term as GM as a hard-ass (which is a great idea). He's not going to start off trading the team's most popular player for a package that includes Whitney in 2013. That's insane.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:54 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
I don't understand what universe Schultz is a non-starter but Subban isn't. Dude's not signing PK because he wants to inaugurate his term as GM as a hard-ass (which is a great idea). He's not going to start off trading the team's most popular player for a package that includes Whitney in 2013. That's insane.
He can't get PK signed, hence the trade rumours. Schultz is signed and there is no incentive for the Oilers to move him.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Would a first rounder and Gagner be enough to get PK?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:59 PM
misfit

Quote:
The same way Getzlaf was a non-starter when we traded Pronger to Anaheim. Or how Kreider was a non-starter for New York in a Nash trade. Just because one player isn't as good or as proven as another, it doesn't mean you're going to get him.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Giggli G

Bob mckenzie said in the intermission of the leafs game that he thinks the sides are too far apart with Subban and he will be traded.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Sheeshta

Yes, I understand. My point is that PK's not being signed because Bergevin is playing hardball.

I think it's goofy to think that he'll turn around now and deal the face of the club from a position of massive weakness for a package of defensemen from a team that just got nuked harder in one period than they've been in 30+ years. If he's traded I'll be amazed. And if he's traded to the Oilers I'll eat my laptop.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Shanahanigans

Don't really want Subban. Love him, but a bigger concern is size in our top 6. Plus, there wouldn't be room for him in our top 4.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Love him, but a bigger concern is size in our top 6..
Very true, but P.K. Does play with a physical edge and he specifically targets the other teams stars with his physical play...something else the Oiler need...not to mention he has some offensive ability as well

Last edited by Rafters: 01-23-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Don't really want Subban. Love him, but a bigger concern is size in our top 6. Plus, there wouldn't be room for him in our top 4.
dont think you have to worry about the bolded... Subban is a great talent and should be the clear cut #1 on this team. Although he might have to start off in PB watching Potter from above until learns our system.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:10 PM
dem

Quote:
Not room for him? He would be our #1 guy.. Easily.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Sheeshta

Quote:
Plus, there wouldn't be room for him in our top 4.
Good grief

Old
01-23-2013, 10:15 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
There aren't too many teams without room for Subban. He would instantly be a top pairing defenceman here. Besides, what's wrong with some depth? One injury and suddenly Potter/Whitney are playing 20:00 per game.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
#ualberta

Quote:

your right our d is just to good no room for P.K to help

Old
01-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Sheeshta

There's one defenceman on the Oilers who has had a season with more points than Subban got last year, his second in the NHL, and that's Whitney–who is now skating around on broken ankles–and that was five years ago.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:21 PM
oilers92

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
There aren't too many teams without room for Subban. He would instantly be a top pairing defenceman here. Besides, what's wrong with some depth? One injury and suddenly Potter/Whitney are playing 20:00 per game.
whitney played 21min against van the guy is the new horcoff living off one good yr and been relied on to be that guy when he doesnt come even remotely close to it right now

also subban would be the number 1 d on this team cant count on a rookie to play that many mins each game

Old
01-23-2013, 10:27 PM
worraps
Acceptance

With Schultz in the fold and Klefbom/Marincin/Musil on the way we need O'Reilly more than Subban.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
There's one defenceman on the Oilers who has had a season with more points than Subban got last year, his second in the NHL, and that's Whitney–who is now skating around on broken ankles–and that was five years ago.
Ryan Whitney is done with this team.I don't see him playing here next season.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:29 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Subban would be a great addition if he was a left-handed shot. J.Schultz and Petry appear to be locks for top 4 mins going forward (both RH shots). We need help on the left side pretty bad though. We have Smid and that's about it. Was hoping Whitney would bounce back, but he looks brutal out there. Eeeesh

Old
01-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Sheeshta

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Ryan Whitney is done with this team.I don't see him playing here next season.
That's my point. There's no one on the team currently as good as Subban, and the one guy who has outscored him did it a long ass time ago and is currently hobbling around the ice like a beer leaguer. The idea that we could trade them pieces like Petry and a 2nd that they could then "sell" to their fanbase is ludicrous.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:33 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTopper View Post
Subban would be a great addition if he was a left-handed shot. J.Schultz and Petry appear to be locks for top 4 mins going forward (both RH shots). We need help on the left side pretty bad though. We have Smid and that's about it. Was hoping Whitney would bounce back, but he looks brutal out there. Eeeesh
Nothing wrong with Nick Schultz being on your 2nd pair. He's only 30 an likely has another 4 (probably 5 or 6) years in him of being a top 4 guy in the NHL.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Matador

If Montreal is trading Subban to the Oilers, I think they ask for Petry first. A RH defencemen for a RH defencemen. The Oilers start adding from there. The Flyers would be able to outbid the Oilers with one of their young centers IMO.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
It would be safer to say that you be off your rocker to believe either gets traded.
Don't think there's a chance Subban gets moved? You must have missed Bobby Mac's segment during the Leafs game today...

Old
01-23-2013, 10:51 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
If Montreal is trading Subban to the Oilers, I think they ask for Petry first. A RH defencemen for a RH defencemen. The Oilers start adding from there. The Flyers would be able to outbid the Oilers with one of their young centers IMO.
I'd do it. Petry and maybe a prospect/2nd rounder for Subban...

Old
01-23-2013, 10:54 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Nothing wrong with Nick Schultz being on your 2nd pair. He's only 30 an likely has another 4 (probably 5 or 6) years in him of being a top 4 guy in the NHL.
No offense to Nick Schultz, but I view him more as a borderline 2nd pairing guy. Quality depth that can fill in as a top 4 when needed, but that's it. He can do the job, but he's not ideal. And if you do play him on the 2nd pairing, that pushes Smid into a #1/2 role...which I don't think is the best way to utilize him.

On the right side, I see both J.Schultz and Petry as legit top 4 defenders. With some development, maybe one of them turns into a top pairing guy. Let's hope!

Closed Thread