HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v24: Rudy Gay/Hamed Haddadi for Ed Davis/Jose Calderon swap imminent

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2013, 09:16 PM
  #801
Hyperglide
Registered User
 
Hyperglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
GG... Raptors are the least clutch team in the NBA. They can never win these big games and when they have a huge lead usually blow it.

Hyperglide is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:16 PM
  #802
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,405
vCash: 500
god DAMMIT Anderson...

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:16 PM
  #803
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,420
vCash: 500
Anderson is a goof

Kulemon is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:21 PM
  #804
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,482
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Man Casey does not know how to manage his roster at all. Davis, Lowry both on the bench for the whole OT. Alan Anderson shot about 7 3's in OT and never hit 1, no team work and no ball movement = another loss.

Anderson should not see a minute of floor time next game. And I sure hope his team lets him hear it in the dressing room.

Joey24 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:23 PM
  #805
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
I told y'all I hate Anderson! He's a worse chucker than Bargs and Kleiza combined! A 31 year old scrub that for some reason Casey lets shoot a million times a game. I was so furious that whole OT. Damn you Casey.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
  #806
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,257
vCash: 166
How does Calderon not get the ball in the OT? The guy hit back to back threes.

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:26 PM
  #807
Hyperglide
Registered User
 
Hyperglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I told y'all I hate Anderson! He's a worse chucker than Bargs and Kleiza combined! A 31 year old scrub that for some reason Casey lets shoot a million times a game. I was so furious that whole OT. Damn you Casey.
Perfect situation for Anderson. There is no go to player on this team, it's a losing team and he's playing for a big NBA contract before he has to retire in a couple of years. He wants that paper. You can tell.

Hyperglide is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:31 PM
  #808
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
LeBron is such a terrible 3 point shooter. It's amazing that a guy that big with that much power/athleticism has such crappy range.
He's actually shooting 40 percent from three this season. Also, power and athleticism have nothing to do with threes.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:35 PM
  #809
socratic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
I am officially on board with the Casey-doesn't-know-how-to-manage-a-bench movement. I don't neccesarily want him fired - I just want someone else to manage the substitutions.

I actually thought Grey played well in OT, but man, why, oh why is Davis not out there?

And it's been said a few dozen times already, but Anderson.... are you serious? Did that really just happen in an NBA overtime? It only makes it worse knowing this guy is out there sending up more prayers than a ramadan feast while we have Ross wasting away on the bench.

An amazingly exciting game, great work taking the heat to OT, but what a strategic disaster down the stretch.

Also, can anyone explain to me why Lucas would be out with Lowry for most of the last 8 minutes of regulation? (Calderon came back in with like 2 minutes to go).

socratic is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:36 PM
  #810
Kb21
Registered User
 
Kb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,390
vCash: 500
i actually agreed with that jack said near the end of the 4th Q, that we should foul lebrick, allow him to shoot his 2 FT's, then go for a 3 and the win with the final shot because we would have no chance in OT. but what coach, other then popavich, would be willing to do that.

Kb21 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:39 PM
  #811
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
i actually agreed with that jack said near the end of the 4th Q, that we should foul lebrick, allow him to shoot his 2 FT's, then go for a 3 and the win with the final shot because we would have no chance in OT.
but what coach, other then popavich, is going to do this.
It would be risky, but there was no way we were gonna win in OT. Casey isn't smart/risky enough to think of that. He thinks we can battle Lebron and Wade with Anderson for some strange reason. Man I wish we had a true star.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:40 PM
  #812
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,468
vCash: 500
I just can't believe a 31 year old journey-man is allowed to take so many shots.

It sucks how many close games the Raptors have lost this year. Comes down to not having a star that can make plays against tight defenses coming out of time-outs. When we are free-flowing, we are decent.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 09:53 PM
  #813
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
He's actually shooting 40 percent from three this season. Also, power and athleticism have nothing to do with threes.
yes they do. The vast majority of shooting range comes from your legs. LeBron shoots mostly with his upper body. Look at someone like Vince Carter. Why do you think he has such ridiculous range? (all the way out to like 10 feet past the 3Pt line at his prime) It's all about getting good lift out of your legs, and then having the rest of your shot in sync enough to transfer all that momentum into the ball on the shot.

LeBron is strong enough in his upper body that he can basically "muscle" the ball to the hoop, but his bad form and the fact that he seems to take his legs out of it also means he bricks a ton of shots and leaves a bunch short (when I made that comment, James had just clanked one off the front of the rim) because he's not getting that same smooth momentum that a better deep shooter (like, say, Ray Allen) has.

and for his career he's generally been a 31-33% shooter. 40% right now is an aberration and in part due to a low volume of shots taken to this point. Generally for his career when he puts up 300+ 3 pointer attempts per year, he's going to shoot somewhere in the low 30s. And outside of a terrible 3-point showing as a rookie, he's been pretty consistent in that regard.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 10:01 PM
  #814
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
yes they do. The vast majority of shooting range comes from your legs. LeBron shoots mostly with his upper body. Look at someone like Vince Carter. Why do you think he has such ridiculous range? (all the way out to like 10 feet past the 3Pt line at his prime) It's all about getting good lift out of your legs, and then having the rest of your shot in sync enough to transfer all that momentum into the ball on the shot.

LeBron is strong enough in his upper body that he can basically "muscle" the ball to the hoop, but his bad form and the fact that he seems to take his legs out of it also means he bricks a ton of shots and leaves a bunch short (when I made that comment, James had just clanked one off the front of the rim) because he's not getting that same smooth momentum that a better deep shooter (like, say, Ray Allen) has.

and for his career he's generally been a 31-33% shooter. 40% right now is an aberration and in part due to a low volume of shots taken to this point. Generally for his career when he puts up 300+ 3 pointer attempts per year, he's going to shoot somewhere in the low 30s. And outside of a terrible 3-point showing as a rookie, he's been pretty consistent in that regard.
My bad, the way I read your comment you seemed to be implying that since Lebron is strong he should be a better 3 point shooter. Threes do come from mostly your legs, but there's a lot of unathletic 3 point snipers out there. Novak is pretty much an average joe but he is a sharpshooter. Form and release is more important than strength. Lebron used to chuck up a lot of threes especially in Cleveland but now he stops with his "heat checks" he used to do all the time and shoots threes when he's open or at the end of the shot clock.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
  #815
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
My bad, the way I read your comment you seemed to be implying that since Lebron is strong he should be a better 3 point shooter. Threes do come from mostly your legs, but there's a lot of unathletic 3 point snipers out there. Novak is pretty much an average joe but he is a sharpshooter. Form and release is more important than strength. Lebron used to chuck up a lot of threes especially in Cleveland but now he stops with his "heat checks" he used to do all the time and shoots threes when he's open or at the end of the shot clock.
Absolutely true, but those guys are using superior form and efficiency to make up for a lack of athleticism. A guy like LeBron should be able to get terrific range out of basically any shot he takes provided he had anywhere approaching half-decent transfer of momentum on his shot.

The thing I see that a lot of guys do is that they buy into the idea of hanging in the air at the peak of their jumps, and they shoot at that hang point. Problem is that by then you're actually on the way down and you're actually sucking range out of your shot. So what do they do to try and compensate? Force the ball up harder with their upper body. Which ends up destabilizing their shot even further and ****ing up their accuracy. When I was younger and learning to play the game, it was a mistake I made because I had watched so many NBA highlights that I believed you were supposed to shoot as you were hanging in the air. I had basically no range outside of like 10-15 feet (which was probably part of why I usually got stuck being the center. Well, that and I was always the tall kid :laugh)

Like you said, form and release are more important. To the point that if you have those things, it overcomes a lack of athleticism. But great athleticism can't be used to compensate for bad form or the wrong release point. Still though, regardless of how good or bad of an athlete you are, probably 90% of the force that goes into determining what your shooting range is will come from your legs.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 11:27 PM
  #816
Shimso
Registered User
 
Shimso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
After AA's 3rd or 4th miss I just turned off the TV.....such a disappointing way to lose.

Shimso is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 11:37 PM
  #817
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
After AA's 3rd or 4th miss I just turned off the TV.....such a disappointing way to lose.
that's the good and the bad with chuckers: They will remember their hits and not their misses. So as soon as he hit that first one in the OT, suddenly he had the internal green light to fire away.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 08:38 AM
  #818
The Kessel Run
Registered User
 
The Kessel Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 500
The final couple minutes of the 4th Q were alarming as well. The Raps made big shots to get the lead, got back on D and yet, inconceivably, could not set up to defend a three pointer 5-6 seconds into the shot clock? I mean, the Cavs had two or three immediate responses from open looks that required zero ball movement. Inexcusable.

The Kessel Run is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
  #819
Cool Hand Luke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
Casey blew this one...once Amir fouled out, Ed Davis should have come in. When Casey put in Grey, the game just fell apart. It's hilarious watching Grey against a team like Miami. They didn't even have anyone covering him. It allowed for Bosh to double everyone with the ball. Pretty much impossible to win if you are essentially playing 5 on 4. Not sure what Casey has against Davis. Guess he was worried about him fouling out?

Cool Hand Luke is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
  #820
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,257
vCash: 166

DirtyDion03 is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 04:02 PM
  #821
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,684
vCash: 350
It's growing on me.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 04:03 PM
  #822
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,405
vCash: 500
Still not keen on the Pelicans name, but the logo and colors are better than I expected.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 04:05 PM
  #823
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,684
vCash: 350
I think the name is at least better than the Wizards.

Man the NBA has some weird team names.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM
  #824
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,257
vCash: 166
That logo is pretty nice.

DirtyDion03 is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 04:12 PM
  #825
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
I think the name is at least better than the Wizards.

Man the NBA has some weird team names.
Raptors is pretty bad...they picked it because Jurassic Park was super popular at the time.

I liked Huskies a lot more.

Eytinge is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.