HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino seeking trade?

Old
01-23-2013, 03:09 PM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Thanks for this. Some thoughts on some of what you translated.

That is pure fantasy. He is trying to take all the negative heat for this while putting Nino on the "not responsible" shelf. Only a 5 year old would agree with him. Nino gave him the green light, so this is Nino's responsibility. It is repugnant to suggest otherwise.

Ok, this one is a stick of dynamite. Wang has Snow sewn to his coat tails. The agent is basically telling the owner to fire Garth or lose Nino. Really, does he have any idea who Chuck "I don't negotiate, stay at the beach the rest of this season for all I care" Wang is? How about a GM that acted like Chris Botta had Ebola Ziare?

Wow. That's another bomb. So the agent has effectively solicited input from other clubs or am I reading this wrong? If it is, then that's tampering.

Wow again, going to the well of telling the owner to fire the GM, but without saying it.

Ah, whatever. You can't act like it will be business as usual after the statements you just made.

I am surprised after reading this so many of you act like everything will go back to normal in a short while. Nino & his agent just demanded Garth get fired, opened the door to tampering, compared the GM to one that got canned, said nothing good will come of staying here... and you are convinced this will still end well?

IMO, this ends one of two ways - Garth gets fired (not happening unless Wang considers Nino the Alpine DP), or Nino gets traded. I'm thinking #2.
I'm willing to act like it's business as usual because Garth isn't going to trade him. Simple as that. Nino/agent have no leverage. Nino has a year and a half left on his ELC. You would have to assume that he'll get his full-time spot in the NHL before that time comes. Considering NHL playing time is all Nino seems to want, I don't see him pursuing this "trade demand" once he gets it.

If his agent doesn't want to deal with Garth, that's fine. The agent works for Nino, not the other way around. If the summer of 2014 rolls around and Nino has his full-time spot and enjoys playing here, he'll re-sign. The agent's relationship with Garth really won't make a difference.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Leafs fan here. Always been a fan of Nino. Not sure what the needs of your team are, but what do you think it would take from our team to get him? We have a lot of young defensemen, if that helps.
Gunnarson?

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Man, the stuff in the Trade Forum thread is getting really funny to me. Proposals coming from all directions make for a very disjointed thread. I wonder what happens to it if none of us respond any more. I assume the proposals will just get worse and that could be entertaining. I wish they would understand that Nino is not on the block, but there is chum in the water I guess.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:47 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Man, the stuff in the Trade Forum thread is getting really funny to me. Proposals coming from all directions make for a very disjointed thread. I wonder what happens to it if none of us respond any more. I assume the proposals will just get worse and that could be entertaining. I wish they would understand that Nino is not on the block, but there is chum in the water I guess.
I'm not sure if it was the Subban thread or the Nino one, but someone proposed Subban for Hamonic, Nino, and Ullstrom. The funny thing is one of the Habs fan said it was a decent offer.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:49 PM
ndgolden

Quote:
I have to laugh as many Islanders fans are quick to discount Anders Lee for staying in school while cheering for clowns like Nino. Sad but fitting I guess.

ndgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:08 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I'm not sure if it was the Subban thread or the Nino one, but someone proposed Subban for Hamonic, Nino, and Ullstrom. The funny thing is one of the Habs fan said it was a decent offer.
Habs fans and the Montreal media overrate Subban. It's come back to bite the team on the butt. The press keeps saying the two sides aren't close.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:09 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
I have to laugh as many Islanders fans are quick to discount Anders Lee for staying in school while cheering for clowns like Nino. Sad but fitting I guess.
I'll stop discounting Anders Lee, when he signs a contract with the NYI.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't want to respond. When I see jay-bo for Niño I laugh.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:47 PM
hyster110

im a firm believer that a developing player has to be put in situations to succeed. if that means ripping up junior for another year, playing in the AHL on the top line, instead of the nhl 4th line

oilers fan coming in peace

can anyone say firmly that last year he was placed in a position to succeed? his TOI stats and his production say he should have spent the year in the AHL on the top line with lots of minutes

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:50 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
im a firm believer that a developing player has to be put in situations to succeed. if that means ripping up junior for another year, playing in the AHL on the top line, instead of the nhl 4th line

oilers fan coming in peace

can anyone say firmly that last year he was placed in a position to succeed? his TOI stats and his production say he should have spent the year in the AHL on the top line with lots of minutes
I think most of us around here agree that Nino was mishandled last year. We know.

He wasn't eligible to be in the AHL last year, it was the NYI or Junior. As for getting top line minutes in the AHL, that's exactly what the Isles were doing with him and then him and his agent sounded off. So we're here now.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:10 PM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

vCash: 250
In an effort to further explore the issue our selection of Nino caused when we passed over some other's, most notably Cam Fowler IMO, I started a thread on the Duck's board to get their fan's opinion of a one for one (or other) swap of Nino for Cam. Here is the link:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1331139

It would go to reason, I thought, that if there was any real hole in Cam's game their fan base, just like ours, would be beating him up unmercifully for it.

I didn't do it to start a war with the Duck's board so if you disagree with their opinions please be nice about it. And before you beat me up over dragging up ancient history, I turn to the rather ugly words of Nino's agent as the reason why I am going public with my opinion about drafting for him in the first place. I also hope when we do trade him it is for the defenseman we need for the future.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Metnut

Can someone confirm whether calling up Nino this year would have any affect on his entry-level contract? I was under the impression that after next year (2013-2014 season) Nino will be an RFA, regardless of whether he plays for the AHL or NHL. Is this accurate?

Metnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:26 PM
hyster110

Quote:
I think most of us around here agree that Nino was mishandled last year. We know.

He wasn't eligible to be in the AHL last year, it was the NYI or Junior. As for getting top line minutes in the AHL, that's exactly what the Isles were doing with him and then him and his agent sounded off. So we're here now.
would jr have suited him more? i think it may have with a portland team that went deep into the finals

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:27 PM
IslesBeBack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metnut View Post
Can someone confirm whether calling up Nino this year would have any affect on his entry-level contract? I was under the impression that after next year (2013-2014 season) Nino will be an RFA, regardless of whether he plays for the AHL or NHL. Is this accurate?
Im not sure but i will say that this doesnt sit well with me.

This is a true sign of a spoiled little *****. You want a trade?

Trade him. You dont allow a 20 year old kid who basically looked like an echl callup last year allow an agent to demand a trade.

I have had it with this sense of entitlement with hockey players. Earn your ****ing stripes first Nino and shut the **** up!

Trade his ass out west and dont blink an eye.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
In an effort to further explore the issue our selection of Nino caused when we passed over some other's, most notably Cam Fowler IMO, I started a thread on the Duck's board to get their fan's opinion of a one for one (or other) swap of Nino for Cam. Here is the link:

It would go to reason, I thought, that if there was any real hole in Cam's game their fan base, just like ours, would be beating him up unmercifully for it.

I didn't do it to start a war with the Duck's board so if you disagree with their opinions please be nice about it. And before you beat me up over dragging up ancient history, I turn to the rather ugly words of Nino's agent as the reason why I am going public with my opinion about drafting for him in the first place. I also hope when we do trade him it is for the defenseman we need for the future.
What did you expect them to say? A young defenseman playing in the NHL since his rookie year or a kid who scored 1 point in 55 games. They most likely haven't even seen him play. Whatever they say is kind of irrelevant. Lets talk about this debate in 2 years.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:48 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
Good point. I hadn't considered that before. If Lee is staying in ND out of loyalty to the school or to fill a commitment, that is a major plus for his character.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:48 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Im not sure but i will say that this doesnt sit well with me.

This is a true sign of a spoiled little *****. You want a trade?

Trade him. You dont allow a 20 year old kid who basically looked like an echl callup last year allow an agent to demand a trade.

I have had it with this sense of entitlement with hockey players. Earn your ****ing stripes first Nino and shut the **** up!

Trade his ass out west and dont blink an eye.
If you read Nino's agents comments, which were made after the trade demand, he talks about how he expects tough contract talks in two yrs with Snow.

That indicates that Nino and his rep have already been told, that Snow is not trading Nino. I agree with Snow. No interest in trading a pf who's developing well because he's immature at 20. That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:50 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metnut View Post
Correct.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/294244892916477954

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article...?cmpid=twitter

01-23-2013, 08:26 PM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
What did you expect them to say? A young defenseman playing in the NHL since his rookie year or a kid who scored 1 point in 55 games. They most likely haven't even seen him play. Whatever they say is kind of irrelevant. Lets talk about this debate in 2 years.
I wouldn't call their opinion irrelevant. Just look at our board and the heapings of unhappiness piled on every mistake any player makes. If there is any group that would kill the other guy we could have picked it is the Duck fan base.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

A couple things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
- don't whine about 4th line minutes. YOUR PLAY dictates your ice time. If you didn't realize you were overmatched, too bad. If you felt mishandled, you should have asked to go back to Portland, not complain after the fact.
For all we know, he did say he wanted to go back to Portland. Who knows? I seem to remember Nino either tweeting or telling a reporter that he didn't know where he stood with the org and was a little confused as to what was expected from him. This was just after his injury last year.

Also, for all we know, he had zero chance to play anything other than 4th line mins because of:

Quote:
using young players to cheat the cap floor because their ELC means you pay them very little and the bonus makes you reach the floor
Which means that the Isles used him as a cap #, not a player.

Quote:
All you need to do to make the NHL is be BETTER than the players that are in the lineup. It shouldn't be too hard, the NYI are among the least talented team in hockey.
I'm guessing that's part of his beef... he wasn't invited to training camp, despite being the best forward on the SoundTigers. He's not able to prove that he's better than the players in the lineup (who didn't have to compete for their spots, for the most part) when he's on the other side of the LI Sound.

I'm not saying that Nino's camp is right, but come on. It certainly appears that the Isles have handled him pretty poorly. I probably wouldn't be supremely thrilled with the way things have gone either. The mature guy would have handled this situation better for sure (like you might expect a grown man like Viz to), but I'm not gonna blast a 20 year old for saying "WTF?" to this organization's nonsense.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
IslesBeBack*

lol, seriously, who the **** does this kid think he is. He is just going to say my agent does the rest? Really, you little ****? Show some pride in the team that drafted you.

Get him the **** out of my organization. He has a target on his back now and I'm booing the little **** the next time he steps foot on Coliseum ice.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
Quote:
Let's start with the fact more than a few people wanted Fowler despite what some of the draft rags had to say. Sure more than a few teams chose over him, in particular the Rags screwed the pooch pretty bad, but right now with Nino pulling this stunt no one in their right mind can come out and say Nino was the right choice over Fowler, and I will tell you why.
Nino's agent pulled the stunt and for you to say Fowler was the right choice over Nino at this point in time is ridiculous.

Quote:
1 - Right off the top, the Ducks, despite all of their good players, sucked rocks the past couple of years. While Cam led the way in minus, he had more than a little company in double digits minus.
Wow if you think in rookie year when they finished 4th in the conference with a 47-30-5-99 points sucks rocks well then houston we have a problem. His 2nd season they finished at 34-36-12-80 points
Quote:
2 - They made the exact same mistake with Cam that the Isles did with Nino - they plugged him in before he was ready. But look again at the stats. Nino has 1 whole point. Cam may have a big minus in the +/- dept, but at least he hit the ground running offensively.
Again his rookie and 2nd year he was playing with guys like Getzlaf,Perry,Ryan, and Selanne while Nino was playing with Reasoner and Pandolfo known for being defensive forwards.

Quote:
3 - Watching both their first year, you could see game in Cam. I saw a lost puppy in Nino.
see above

Quote:
4 - Nino rose to the top 5 on the back of a standout performance in world juniors in part because his team had almost no offense and Conz stood on his head. It got him into our first round pick dept the same way DP's only claim to fame got him into Milbury's.
I guess since a ton of team sites are interested in him and they actually spoke of him on NHL tonight and even opened a post on HF boards on what would you give to get him i guess we all live in fantasy land.
Quote:
5 - And this is the big one, despite being tossed to the wolves, Cam is sticking in there and holding his tongue despite relegation to lower end minutes while trying to grow into the adult defensive game. I would be shocked if he said boo if he was stuck in the AHL, like he should have been. What's Nino do? Throw a nuclear bomb into the Isle's plans for him by acting like an entitled pouty pussbag. Has anyone ever heard Cam or his agent complain?
Again his agent is upset he is not getting paid for Nino being in the minors but keep blaming him.

Quote:
So go ahead and try to brow beat fans of a prospect who lead his team to a gold while another prospect stood out like a sore thumb on an almost completely offenseless team at the world juniors. Any number of people here wanted Cam over Nino, so please stop with the hindsight lie. That he pulls this garbage now just adds a pile of weight behind our angst, and rightfully so.
Not trying to "brow beat" any of his fans, what i was trying to get across were that his Fantasy numbers looked great in terms of goals and assists (that 1st season) he was a liability on the blue line and i guess -53 in his 1st 2 years does not prove that at all

Quote:
And really, quoting a blog and Corsi? Trust your eyes. Sometimes Corsi lines up with the truth, and sometimes it doesn't. +/- is even more of a lie. I've seen Cam play on good and bad days. He was rushed, but the skills are definitely there. Nino showed all but nothing during his time up.
Conveniently you left out important parts of my post and the article which either you didnt read or failed to aknowledge
"Fowler had a great rookie season playing with great talent around him and i know he is still very young with lots of upside so we shall see in years to come what kind of player he really is." per me

"Fowler is a future NHL star who has been playing a big role in the NHL as a teenager. In fact when I wrote about the lack of established elite defencemen today commenter CMo44 listed Fowler as an elite defenceman who is well on his way." as per the article
Quote:
BTW - Drew Doughty his first year with the Kings was a -18. Care to explain how he sucks? Know what I get from that? Don't rush your top prospects, but what do I know.
Again nobody saying he sucks! I for 1 did say nothing of the sort i just asked why people are so high on him.
BTW I would take Doughty over him 8 days a week

Killerlnstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:35 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
I wouldn't call their opinion irrelevant. Just look at our board and the heapings of unhappiness piled on every mistake any player makes. If there is any group that would kill the other guy we could have picked it is the Duck fan base.
I would call it irrelevant because I guarantee most of the people on their board looked at his stats and said no way. They most likely NEVER saw him play. Nino looked really good in the scrimmage, looked like had a lot more confidence. I admit that I barely saw Fowler play since he plays out west.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
Quote:

Are you serious????????????????? Beating him up unmercifully??????????? Are you his agent or pr rep that you would go to Anaheims board and ask this question and what response were you looking for??????

The same report your giving him here and i never said Nino is or will be better then him i'm saying it's way early to say.

Killerlnstinct is offline   Reply With Quote