HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 10:56 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
That's my point. There's no one on the team currently as good as Subban, and the one guy who has outscored him did it a long ass time ago and is currently hobbling around the ice like a beer leaguer. The idea that we could trade them pieces like Petry and a 2nd that they could then "sell" to their fanbase is ludicrous.
How long do you think it would be before Hall and Subban would be at each others throats. You don't want Subban anywhere near the Oiler lockerroom. Secondly wait to see what J.Schultz can do, if this kid does what he did in the AHL there is no need for Subban.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
SDig14

I still find it crazy they could be that far apart.

Montreal wants a 2 year deal and Subban wants long-term, which seems to be 5-7 years depending on who you talk to right now.

Bob Mack said they are 2.5-3.0 APART as well, how is that possible?

Is Montreal really trying to offer him the same deal as Del Zotto and just hope for the best here or what?

Lowballing your best young players is an interesting strategy.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:02 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

If Subban is available you can bet PHI and DET will be in on it hard.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:05 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I'd do it. Petry and maybe a prospect/2nd rounder for Subban...
Montreal will only trade Subban for one of the top 5.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:10 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
How long do you think it would be before Hall and Subban would be at each others throats. You don't want Subban anywhere near the Oiler lockerroom. Secondly wait to see what J.Schultz can do, if this kid does what he did in the AHL there is no need for Subban.
Subban is as competitive as they come. Not sure why you think he wouldn't get along with Hall. And even with Schultz, this team's defense is a load of brown bananas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Only in a perfect world. They won't actually get that kind of quality.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Paralyzer008

Although I think those who are saying Subban would cost us one of the golden five are wrong, there was a poster who did make a great point earlier.

Flyers offer Couturier for Subban. No chance Oilers can match that.

If the Flyers got hard into it, we'd have no chance. Otherwise, I do think it's possible that a Petry/Paajarvi/Klefbom/1st pick package gets it done. Maybe even without Klefbom

O'Reilly is an absolute pipe dream, why does Colorado trade a good player to a division rival? Not going to happen. There are a couple of teams that will pay for and use him in the East, as well as teams that could use him that are in the West but not in the Northwest division.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:14 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
He's not signed. MTL wouldn't be able to command as much anyway.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:16 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Although I think those who are saying Subban would cost us one of the golden five are wrong, there was a poster who did make a great point earlier.

If the Flyers got hard into it, we'd have no chance. Otherwise, I do think it's possible that a Petry/Paajarvi/Klefbom/1st pick package gets it done. Maybe even without Klefbom

O'Reilly is an absolute pipe dream, why does Colorado trade a good player to a division rival? Not going to happen. There are a couple of teams that will pay for and use him in the East, as well as teams that could use him that are in the West but not in the Northwest division.
I'd offer sheet O'Reilly if I were Tambo.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Well maybe, but we don't have that 3rd rounder because of the Fistric trade.

Flames should offer sheet O'Reilly to be honest, either you go for it in the playoffs here or you trade Iggy and Kipper and get your picks back

Old
01-23-2013, 11:18 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

I agree with this. I would love Subban, but the reality is, there are teams that are a lot more desperate for these guys (more for Subban than O'Reilly IMO) than we are. If it got down to business, I wouldn't want Tambellini getting into a bidding war with the other GM's.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:19 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
He'd fill a huge need but the Oilers aren't good enough to risk their first round pick.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:20 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
I agree with this. I would love Subban, but the reality is, there are teams that are a lot more desperate for these guys (more for Subban than O'Reilly IMO) than we are. If it got down to business, I wouldn't want Tambellini getting into a bidding war with the other GM's.
I think your right, my guess Subban ends up in Detroit.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I still find it crazy they could be that far apart.

Montreal wants a 2 year deal and Subban wants long-term, which seems to be 5-7 years depending on who you talk to right now.

Bob Mack said they are 2.5-3.0 APART as well, how is that possible?

Is Montreal really trying to offer him the same deal as Del Zotto and just hope for the best here or what?

Lowballing your best young players is an interesting strategy.
or.. Is Subban really seeking Doughty money ??

Im guessing MTL is at 3.75 per and Subban wants a 6.25M+ long term deal ala Hall and Ebs

Old
01-23-2013, 11:36 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
He'd fill a huge need but the Oilers aren't good enough to risk their first round pick.
Player aside (not arguing for or against ROR), the Oilers have collected enough high end prospects through the draft that they're in a position to start adding NHL players. If you can find a piece that fits your club perfectly and has already proven himself, you do it. Obviously I'm not talking about old guys only a few years away from retirement...but a younger player that fills a need and isn't too far apart in age from your core? It's worth it to pay a premium to build a winner. I don't care if it's a third liner...have to think of the big picture. The Stanley Cup!

Old
01-23-2013, 11:38 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
I don't think you get a better fit for 2C with the first and the third isn't likely to have too much value (assuming the offer is 4.5).

I really like O'Reilly though and I'm relatively sure this year's pick isn't going to be in the top 10.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:41 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
I disagree. This draft best case scenario we can draft a 2C. Then we have to wait for him to develop.

OR trade for the pick for someone we know is an elite 2C.

The cup finals are full of teams with Selke-caliber 2nd line centres (Bos/Bergeron, Det/Datsyuk, Staal/Pit, Richards/LA, Kesler/Van)

Old
01-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

A few things.

People are crazy if they think Subban doesn't have a spot on our D. Who cares if Schultz and Petry are both RHD too. Depth isn't a bad thing(as we're finding out right now). The guy is a top young D-man in the league and has the potential to be a top D-man in the NHL and a Norris winner. He's accomplished some really great things in his two years in the league. He'd also have a very good argument for being our best D-man. In season where we're rolling out Potter and an immobile Whitney, Subban would greatly help this D. Assuming we got him without giving up Petry, Smid or Schultz(x2), we could roll out:

N.Schultz-Subban
Smid-Petry

As our top-4 and I would be confident that the group could cope with NHL offenses better than what we have now.

Secondly, in the hypothetical situation that Subban is available(sorry I don't buy it, Montreal isn't dumb) and we're in for him, I don't think it makes sense for this team to trade away any of Petry, Schultz(x2) and Smid. We need to build the D up, not keep it thin in quality. Not saying push comes to shove I wouldn't include any of those guys in the package, but I'd be very hesitant to trade Petry or J. Schultz.

I'd be willing to give up Klefbom + MPS + 1st + no problem. Adding Subban to our current core gives us arguably the scariest young core in the NHL. I'd do everything in power to not add Petry or J. Schultz.

Again I think this is all moot because Montreal won't move Subban. They aren't stupid. Along with Price, he's an elite talent on that team. Contract dispute or not, I doubt they move him at all.

01-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Would you guys do Paajarvi for Volchenkov? Add a physical defensemen who can block shots and play play on the pk?

Maybe Hemmer for Volchenkov makes more sense?

Old
01-24-2013, 12:11 AM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTopper View Post
Player aside (not arguing for or against ROR), the Oilers have collected enough high end prospects through the draft that they're in a position to start adding NHL players. If you can find a piece that fits your club perfectly and has already proven himself, you do it. Obviously I'm not talking about old guys only a few years away from retirement...but a younger player that fills a need and isn't too far apart in age from your core? It's worth it to pay a premium to build a winner. I don't care if it's a third liner...have to think of the big picture. The Stanley Cup!
Quote:
I don't think you get a better fit for 2C with the first and the third isn't likely to have too much value (assuming the offer is 4.5).

I really like O'Reilly though and I'm relatively sure this year's pick isn't going to be in the top 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I disagree. This draft best case scenario we can draft a 2C. Then we have to wait for him to develop.

OR trade for the pick for someone we know is an elite 2C.

The cup finals are full of teams with Selke-caliber 2nd line centres (Bos/Bergeron, Det/Datsyuk, Staal/Pit, Richards/LA, Kesler/Van)
If the pick isn't the top 10 then I'd do it for sure too. ROR would help prevent physical domination like what happened yesterday and will likely happen tomorrow, and he has enough skill to play with two of Eberle/Hall/Yak. Can't think of a better fit than him. The problem is that I'm not convinced the Oilers will be outside the lottery.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:14 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
A few things.

People are crazy if they think Subban doesn't have a spot on our D. Who cares if Schultz and Petry are both RHD too. Depth isn't a bad thing(as we're finding out right now). The guy is a top young D-man in the league and has the potential to be a top D-man in the NHL and a Norris winner. He's accomplished some really great things in his two years in the league. He'd also have a very good argument for being our best D-man. In season where we're rolling out Potter and an immobile Whitney, Subban would greatly help this D. Assuming we got him without giving up Petry, Smid or Schultz(x2), we could roll out:

N.Schultz-Subban
Smid-Petry

As our top-4 and I would be confident that the group could cope with NHL offenses better than what we have now.

Secondly, in the hypothetical situation that Subban is available(sorry I don't buy it, Montreal isn't dumb) and we're in for him, I don't think it makes sense for this team to trade away any of Petry, Schultz(x2) and Smid. We need to build the D up, not keep it thin in quality. Not saying push comes to shove I wouldn't include any of those guys in the package, but I'd be very hesitant to trade Petry or J. Schultz.

I'd be willing to give up Klefbom + MPS + 1st + no problem. Adding Subban to our current core gives us arguably the scariest young core in the NHL. I'd do everything in power to not add Petry or J. Schultz.

Again I think this is all moot because Montreal won't move Subban. They aren't stupid. Along with Price, he's an elite talent on that team. Contract dispute or not, I doubt they move him at all.
Yes, Subban would be an awesome pick-up. And depth is nice to have. Don't get me wrong there. I was just saying if he was a LH shot, he'd be EXACTLY what we're looking for. And yes, it does matter what side of the ice a guy is comfortable playing on. We're weak on the left side. That was the point of my post really.

N.Schultz on the 1st pairing though? Yikes.

Edit: And I agree, Subban won't be traded.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Bergeron47

I sort of get the feeling Schneiders going to crap the bed this year and Luongo outplays him leaving the Canucks management and fanbase more confused

Old
01-24-2013, 12:15 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
I like what I've seen of Charlie Coyle from the Wilds. He may still be a prospect, but he looks like what the Oilers need at 2nd C. I don't think the Oilers will get the vetran C their looking for, unless it's a massive over payment.
He would be a good choice but why would the Wild move him?

Old
01-24-2013, 12:22 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupdawk View Post
This.

Leave the team alone. We're two games in with a fairly strong but as yet unproven line-up. Let them prove something first before going and mucking things all up, for christ sake.
Steve, is that you?

Old
01-24-2013, 12:23 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 128
Clearly we need more reaction trades.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:30 AM
Psychoil

we should of kept stoll, glencross, greene and brodziak, then we'd have literally the perfect combo of grit and skill

Closed Thread