HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - 5.0 - The "Doughty Money Vs. Lowball Bridge" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 10:29 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That never stopped you from going on a rant about how PK is selfish, nor did it stop people from speculation he wants Doughty cash (60M).
But note that I always mentioned, ''rumors'' or ''if''.
You on the other hand, was ready to pack PK's bag for him after the TO game.
That is where you have been missing my point all along.

I do not know the money and my assessment of PK is not about the total contract size he is holding out for.

He is selfish for putting himself in this position where his TEAM is playing hockey and he is not........which is not helping his TEAM.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Myers? 6'8" 227 lbs. Tyler Myers?

Myers is far more physical than Subban and can clear a crease much more effectively.

Sign the Carlson contract PK.

Hahahahaha! Best one yet! Have you ever watched him play? Did you just look at his frame and assume he was physical? Go ask even Sabres fan what they think about Myers physical play, they certainly won't tell you how great it is.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
And people on these boards have no problem taking the unconfirmed low ball rumors and are using that to bash Bergevin.

See how if works and is completely useless.

IF I were married to Cameron Diaz, I would not be posting on a hockey message board right now.
Are you trolling or you can't understand the meaning of "if" and "rumors"? Jesus.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Mandala

can't agree more with Paddy.

Reminds me of Ovechkin... amazing talented player but apparently difficult to coach in a team concept.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:31 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Hahahahaha! Best one yet! Have you ever watched him play? Did you just look at his frame and assume he was physical? Go ask even Sabres fan what they think about Myers physical play, they certainly won't tell you how great it is.
He will tell you that Myers did not worth the contract and we should not make the same mistake with PK.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:31 PM
70Stang

I have a feeling PK will be traded, MB is waiting for the best offer. We have some "D" waiting in Hamilton that "should" develop. There has to be more going on here or a deal would have been struck a long time ago. You just don't drag this kind of stuff out and its a distraction to the team. Its also a huge negative to PK and adds further unwarranted pressure. The Montreal media feed off of it. Its a no win situation for both sides now. Only realistic common sense option they have left is trading him.

Once again we will screw ourselves and trade away another solid player. Not liking this one bit. Guys like PK are hard to find.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:32 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Myers? 6'8" 227 lbs. Tyler Myers?

Myers is far more physical than Subban and can clear a crease much more effectively.

Sign the Carlson contract PK.
Tyler Myers of the Buffalo Sabres. You must be thinking of someone else.

waffledave
Old
01-23-2013, 10:33 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
It's just amazing to see how our own fans turned against PK? Where are all these guys when PK help to shutdown Crosby in the playoff? They talk about team and then blame PK for last year disaster.
Its amazing to see how PK has turned against the Montreal Canadiens by sitting out.

Where is PK to help shut down Ovechkin?

That is how I look at this entire fiasco.

I am a fan of the Montreal Canadiens.

I am not a fan of a single player over my favorite team, the Montreal Canadiens.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
NotProkofievian

I just can't stand the talking heads at RDS. I don't think I've heard one good argument come from one of them.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Viggo Mortensen

I think it is the first time I write on the RDS talkbacks. I just did it on the front page article because the 1st one was so ridiculous. Mine was a reply to the 1st one...Yet, I got 1,5 stars/5 and the other one got a 5....

We have pretty dumb people in our fanbase

Old
01-23-2013, 10:35 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Stang View Post
I have a feeling PK will be traded, MB is waiting for the best offer. We have some "D" waiting in Hamilton that "should" develop. There has to be more going on here or a deal would have been struck a long time ago. You just don't drag this kind of stuff out and its a distraction to the team. Its also a huge negative to PK and adds further unwarranted pressure. The Montreal media feed off of it. Its a no win situation for both sides now. Only realistic common sense option they have left is trading him.

Once again we will screw ourselves and trade away another solid player. Not liking this one bit. Guys like PK are hard to find.
Sadly, this is going to happen. Incompetent GM after incompetent GM.

Old
SouthernHab

Quote:
And the low ball offer came out when? a few days ago? Before that, it was all PK wants this gigantic unreasonable deal, and is a greedy selfish player.

Cant believe you ignored my wishes to be married to Cameron Diaz.

Old
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Yup. Gorges got extended the first day it was possible to do so, clearly there was some understanding over the summer that it would be done quickly if Gorges came back healthy and performing.

To the credit of Gainey and Gauthier, we never even came close to a holdout under their watch.

Still think part of the problem here is Subban has played 181 NHL games (playoffs included) and is told he has to 'prove himself' for 2 years, while Pacioretty had played 202 games entering this season and got a 6 year extension for 1 big season with still 1 year left on his bridge deal. Considering they were both in the same draft class, the comparison is easy to make.

If there had been no Pacioretty extension this summer, it would have likely been easier to sign Subban because there was no direct comparison to be made within the team. Not that I'm ripping the Pacioretty deal, it was fantastic.
Bingo. There was no need to give Max that deal, but Bergy did it even before negotiating Subban's deal. If I'm PK, I'm pissed.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:36 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Its amazing to see how PK has turned against the Montreal Canadiens by sitting out.
Some of us are old enough to remember the Chelios trade. Even the Stanley Cup in 93 could not wash the taste away.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:37 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
And I would punch Bergevin in the face if he decided to keep PK at home because he was firm on signing him to a 2.75M per 2y deal.

PK managed us to last place. Really. That's your argument??
I guess Hall, Eberle, RNH aren't that elite either. All three together lead their team to even a worst position than ours.
That's ridiculous. PK did great regardless of expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Montreal finished with 78pts. Anaheim finished with 80pts - is Getzlaf not a #1C? Is Perry not a #1W? Hiller not a #1G? New Jersey went to the cup final - was Zidlicky more of a #1D than Subban?
Is that really what you two will pick out of what I posted? Is that really what you think my argument was when the rest of the post literally was my argument?

The truth is he didn't do "great" relative to the other #1's in the league, he did great relative to what you'd expect a 2nd year player thrust into that position would do.

Old
NotProkofievian

Quote:

Where is PK to help shut down Ovechkin?

That is how I look at this entire fiasco.

I am not a fan of a single player over my favorite team, the Montreal Canadiens.
So is this you admitting to a psychological bias rendering you incapable of forming a rational thought on the matter?

"This is why I can't remain objective on this matter," in other words.

Old
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
God i really hope we sign him soon, if we lose him via trade that is unbelieveable...

Old
01-23-2013, 10:38 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
He will tell you that Myers did not worth the contract and we should not make the same mistake with PK.
No. Did not cross my mind.

Sorry.

Old
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Subban would be the clear #1 dman in:

Buffalo
Toronto
New Jersey
New York R > there's this kid we traded that may not agree
New York I
Philadelphia
Tampa
Anaheim > Cam Fowler may disagree too
Colorado
Columbus
Dallas
Edmonton
Montreal > more like #2 behind Markov

That's worth a lot. And not only do we have a true #1 dman, we have one who is 23 years old, who has improved every year since being drafted - that is to say, one that is extremely likely to keep improving. You don't get that kind of value back in a trade.
try the same exercise with the top teams... cause what I see in your list is mostly bottom feeders.

Old
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Stang View Post

It would be very dumb to trade him. A Dman of his ilk is so difficult to find. We'd be trying to replace him for years to come.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:40 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Some of us are old enough to remember the Chelios trade. Even the Stanley Cup in 93 could not wash the taste away.
And some of us are old enough to have seen the Habs win multiple Cups.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:41 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Oh... how dare a guy like Gorges say something like that?
  • Other teams' fans don't think PK has proven enough yet = Habs haters
  • A teammate gives an opinion that isn't 100% favorable to PK = misquoted/I don't believe it/How dare he?/Source?
  • Some media source giving info about what they've learned and it's not favorable to PK = slandering campaign against PK.
  • Ex-coach saying PK has a lot to learn on and off the ice about team concepts = the guy's an idiot anyways. That's why he got fired!
  • Some teammates are not too fond of PK's ways and the way he handles himself in the dressing room = they're jealous or too stuck up
  • A GM has reservations about PK's development and his future ceiling, given all the inside info he has = he's an idiot and playing hardball to prove he's boss.
  • An NHL coach saying PK has a lot to learn on and off the ice and would like to work with him closely to better his development = what does he know? PK is the Habs' #1 defenseman

Yup, PK can do no wrong. Give him what he wants. He deserves it.
Oh no, there are no fanboys here. Just people that truly know what's behind the scenes and how to evaluate talent...

No middle ground with Habs fans. Just look up the old Komisarek threads to discover a similar phenomenon. Oh wait, how dare I compare Komi and PK? I don't know what I'm talking about if I compare the two...

I won't say anything else, because I'm not allowed to. And since I can't say everything, I'll get flamed. Heck, I'll get flamed in a few moments anyway.

Doesn't matter. All I'll say is: where there's smoke, there's fire.
Yoga classes seem to be working, quite the contortions there.

My point regarded Gorges and I stand by it. One, it is none of his business and not his place to inform any player what contract ot take. And two, if true what he said, the idea that since a hard-working, but stay at home defenseman coming off a shedded knee took a bridge deal means that PK should do the same is nonsense. I sincerely hope that was not Josh Gorges' intent since seems out of character given his tenure here and I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt. I will repeat that if true then the thought process is dumb, especially in the shadow of a protracted labor dispute where players held out to get what they felt was the better deal in the long run.

As to the rest of your diatribe, meh. I don't care what Martin thinks. I care even less what the TMZ crowd at Antichambre think. And I'm still waiting for the fire to erupt from all this smoke. Maybe some of the towels on the floor will come into contact with some empty paint cans?

I have watched this team piss away countless assets over the past 15-odd years. Attitude? Partying? Can't define a role? Easier to trade for pennies on the dollar as opposed to actually sorting it out, right? I am afraid we're going to die on that same hill, and we'll trade the most dynamic defenseman we've had in a long time for Dave Bolland and a 2nd rounder to support some stupid principle that doesn't actually help the team in the long run anyway.

Last edited by WG: 01-23-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 10:41 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It would be very dumb to trade him. A Dman of his ilk is so difficult to find. We'd be trying to replace him for years to come.
Sadly, a lot of our fans here do not think the same way. In their opinion, PK is not a Number 1 D and can be easily replaced.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
I'd punch Bergevin in the face if he wouldn't sign PK to 6 years at 4M/yr. I sincerely doubt that to be the truth. No way I can defend that kind of offer.

Effective? He did great relative to expectations, but a #1 has the offense and defense run through him. A #1 makes everyone around him better. PK managed to #1 us into last place. At this point, he's a great #2.
Subban did everyone of those things for 1 1/2 years. Everyone gets massively better offensively and defensively when he is on the ice. Goals for goes up, goals against go down and he's doing it in the hardest assignments the team has to offer.

The next person that whines about him doing it on a 15th place team should slap themselves. Subban had a better goal differential 5 on 5 than the Norris trophy winner. 15th had nothing to do with the 1st pairing. It was pairings 2 and 3 that ruined it.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:43 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
So is this you admitting to a psychological bias rendering you incapable of forming a rational thought on the matter?

"This is why I can't remain objective on this matter," in other words.
No.

Last time I checked, there was not a team called the PK Subbans.

Players come and go. The CH has been there before the present players and will be there long after they are gone.

I am not a fanboy.

Closed Thread