HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Old
01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
SB164

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Gomez discusses Habs: "In Montreal, they just grab the puck and dump it in, and go chase a guy and try and hit him" http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin...ake-room-gomez
That's funny coming from a player who neither grabbed the puck, nor dumped the puck, rarely chased a guy, and never tried to hit.

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:09 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
That's funny coming from a player who neither grabbed the puck, nor dumped the puck, rarely chased a guy, and never tried to hit.
Hal Gill said the same thing when he left. It was JMs philosophy and none of the players liked it. It makes no sense to tell smurfs to dump the puck and then go in against the Chara's of the world to get it.

I think the game plan has changed quite a bit with Therrien.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
A real testimonial to how "great" a coach martin was. No plan, no intelligence, just some half-assed attempt to not be a total buffoon.

How that goof didn't get fired out the door sooner is a marvel. I can't believe we let Muller leave in favour of keeping the sleeping idiot.
That sounds a lot more like Cunneypuck than Martin hockey.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
TSN says it's $700,000. Imagine you were making a hundred grand a year and lost your job, went on the free market and the best you could attract was ten thousand bucks, brutal.

If he tears it up in SJ who do we blame ?
its not that all he could manage was 700k... hes alrdy made 6 million or something alone this year doing nothing... its ASSUMED by all teams he wont be asking for a 3 million dollar contract..

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Mrb1p

Could be a bargain for the sharks.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Best of luck, Scotty.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:38 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Hal Gill said the same thing when he left. It was JMs philosophy and none of the players liked it. It makes no sense to tell smurfs to dump the puck and then go in against the Chara's of the world to get it.

Yet you had guys like Pacioretty and Cole putting up career numbers and "smurfs" like Desharnais excelling, Cammalleri leading the playoffs in goal scoring, etc.

It seems to me that many of our forwards were successful under this stifling offensive system. It might be more accurate to say that it didn't work for Scott Gomez, not that it didn't work for our team.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:52 PM
LeHab

Good Luck Scotty!

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Craig71

It's interesting that Scotty would have that excuse about Montreal. I wonder what his excuse for his wonderful play in New York would be? He got his money although not his fault and any of us would have done the same, I just don't see how he forgot how to compete ala his Devils days. I think you will see a much better player now that he has to try and earn a contract for next year. This type of crap is why the NFL is the superior league, you don't perform, see ya jack.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Habs13

Poor Sharks... I wonder where he fits in to that line-up, though. Thornton and Marleau must be ahead of him, so third line center?

Habs13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:35 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
I hope he plays well with the Sharks, also hoping Wade Redden plays well too.
The guy never did anything wrong, he just didn't deserve the money he was given for what he was offering.
Hard to turn down that kind of money if someone was offering you it.
They never did anything wrong?

They're getting paid big bucks and then they let themselves go.

Their behavior is very much unethical in my opinion. If you get that kind of contract you have a responsibility to give it 100%.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:37 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
It should be ourselves. He was finished in this town before he even got here. He never had a chance and once things went south for him we made sure he stayed down. We wanted him to fail, and it happened.
BS.

People were content with Gomez after his 58 point first season that took us to the conference finals. I remember posters on another board debating Gomez vs Plekanec. We were not thrilled with Gomez, we still wanted McDonagh, but I think people were content.

He then proceeded to decline to 38 points the next season, and to 11 points the season after that.

His 11 points in 38 games last year were really bad. If you look up advanced stats Martin and Cunneyworth were really babying him. He had much, much easier minutes than Desharnais, Eller, etc.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
BS.

People were content with Gomez after his 58 point first season that took us to the conference finals. I remember posters on another board debating Gomez vs Plekanec. We were not thrilled with Gomez, we still wanted McDonagh, but I think people were content.

He then proceeded to decline to 38 points the next season, and to 11 points the season after that.

His 11 points in 38 games last year were really bad. If you look up advanced stats Martin and Cunneyworth were really babying him. He had much, much easier minutes than Desharnais, Eller, etc.
Gomez was passable the first year. He was not as good as Plekanec, let alone a 1C, but he had good chemistry on the offensive line in the playoff run. The year after that he was a below average 2C, and then even more terrible-when healthy.

He did have positive puck possession last year, but it was in useless sheltered minutes, and even then he couldn't produce with it.

It's possible under a better coach and a new system in San Jose that a motivated and free of pressure Gomez can be productive, but he's nothing more than a marginal role player at this point.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post

We had a pretty good record against the Bruins ("the Chara's of the world") under JM. The rivalry only lost momentum last year when the Habs were too pathetic for any Bruins game to be interesting besides trading Cammalleri in the middle of one.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Gomez was passable the first year. He was not as good as Plekanec, let alone a 1C, but he had good chemistry on the offensive line in the playoff run. The year after that he was a below average 2C, and then even more terrible-when healthy.

He did have positive puck possession last year, but it was in useless sheltered minutes, and even then he couldn't produce with it.

It's possible under a better coach and a new system in San Jose that a motivated and free of pressure Gomez can be productive, but he's nothing more than a marginal role player at this point.
He had the most points among all Habs in the second half of that season. He was almost PPG in that second half. Without Gomez, no playoffs that year. He was our best player besides Markov in that half season leading to the 2010 playoffs.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:57 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
He had the most points among all Habs in the second half of that season. He was almost PPG in that second half. Without Gomez, no playoffs that year. He was our best player besides Markov in that half season leading to the 2010 playoffs.
Not to mention he was the top matchup line that year. Pleks was taking the defensive zone draws but faced worse players, which allowed Cammalleri a chance to shine.

Martin didn't baby Gomez at all the first two years. He was getting a ton of offensive zone draws but started his shifts about equal. It was the ridiculous number of offensive zone draws he generated by opposing saves against his line that led to the tilted zone start those years.

Pleks started seeing the top opposition in 10-11 though.

Its hard to tell if he really sucked in 10-11 or was just horrifically unlucky. His line controlled the play but that might have been Pacioretty and Gionta being terrors at driving the puck forward. So good chance he might have been carried by linemates. Played horrific with AKost, was a positive player outside that disaster. Probably should have kept Pouliot with him when you didn't have Pacioretty. Playing Moen-Gomez together is a recipe for a lot of ineffective shots.

What's really hard to tell is how much he was mooching of Gionta's all round play. He essentially was 21's personal caddy.

Its actually really striking how horriffic the Habs were outside Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri and Plekanec that first year. They were the top four forwards of a decent playoff team surrounded by depth that couldn't manage anything and a defense that couldn't move the puck.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:31 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
\Its actually really striking how horriffic the Habs were outside Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri and Plekanec that first year. They were the top four forwards of a decent playoff team surrounded by depth that couldn't manage anything and a defense that couldn't move the puck.
Benoit Pouliot had a good run that year in the few weeks after the trade.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Poor Sharks... I wonder where he fits in to that line-up, though. Thornton and Marleau must be ahead of him, so third line center?
Thronton and Couture are their top 2 centers, Marleau plays the wing. But yes, I believe Gomez is slated to be their 3rd line center.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:44 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Thronton and Couture are their top 2 centers, Marleau plays the wing. But yes, I believe Gomez is slated to be their 3rd line center.
Id say with Galiardi and Wingels maybe

I dont like the fact that Gomez receives a full salary from the habs and on top of that he signs for another 700k$.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I hope things go well for Gomez. He was unfairly villified by some fans for his contract. I don't think he ever showed up to the rink saying "I think I'll suck today" but things went sideways here and a new start is good for him.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Rosso Scuderia

I don't know if he will find his game back but he's definitely on a better environment which always help. He still have the wheels that for sure but will he be able to find his linemates after crossing the blue line, something he couldn't do anymore in his last season here.

Still good luck for him.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:13 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I hope things go well for Gomez. He was unfairly villified by some fans for his contract. I don't think he ever showed up to the rink saying "I think I'll suck today" but things went sideways here and a new start is good for him.
Unfortunately the contract was always going to be the sticking point. Gomez brought some intangibles to the team and often that is worth a bit more in a contract but not to the point where he earns elite player money. For that kind of money expectations are high.

He'll do well in SJ. Not blaming him for signing the contract... but... perhaps... all agents should take note of the damage they can do to a players career and reputation by being over zealous in negotiations. NJ offered him fair money and his agent parlayed that into stupid money from Sather.

habfaninvictoria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Benoit Pouliot had a good run that year in the few weeks after the trade.
Yes, but similar to how Kostitsyn was having some decent runs with 13-14. As the third man to a decent forward pairing.

It was a lot better team on paper with Markov and Moore and SK74 playing well with Moore. But by then they had committed to playing like Switzerland.

Which worked well so no complaints, but it was an odd choice to give up on skating with the opposition and just play to help the goalie and score on the rush/PP.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Vinc360

Not sure if it was posted or not, but if anyone was wondering why SJ signed him...

Vinc360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:34 AM
RC51

Scott Gomez, 2 games= 0-0-0.
sounds the same as usual

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote