HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa Will Look to Move Ben Bishop

Old
01-24-2013, 01:20 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Ottawa Will Look to Move Ben Bishop

Per Bob McKenzie tonight

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...195438&lang=en

-Says that attempts to trade Ben Bishop have become "convoluted" due to the hold-up on the Luongo trade, that it's "kinda gumming up the works for everybody on the goalie trade market"
-says Robin Lehner's demotion to the AHL is what they've done "for now"
-says that Ottawa knows long-term that they want Anderson and Lehner in goal
-suggests Edmonton would like another goalie to supplement Devan Dubnyk and that Calgary could be looking for an upgrade at the back-up position
-says there is a market but it's not fully formed and that he expects Bishop to be traded in the future

Seeing as Ottawa traded a 2nd round pick for Bishop, I think they'd be looking for that as a minimum, but even more likely would be a defenceman.

Provided everyone stays healthy, I could see something like Theo Peckham (and maybe a pick) for Bishop on Edmonton's side. Gives Ottawa a physical stay-at-home defenceman with a ton of grit for the third pairing. I think Peckham is a lot better than most Oiler fans give him credit for, though I'm not sure what his cache is around the league.

Not sure who Calgary would be offering up. I would think they'd like to move out a defenceman, but who? Giordano, Butler, Brodie and Wideman seem to be the building blocks going forward, Corey Sarich just re-signed last summer, which would leave Jay Bouwmeester, Anton Babchuk and Derek Smith as the odd mean out and I can't imagine Ottawa having much interest in any of them.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I still never really understood why Ottawa traded for him in the first place. They already had a stud prospect in Lehner (or was that they year Lehner was struggling in the AHL?).

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:31 AM
Chips*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I still never really understood why Ottawa traded for him in the first place. They already had a stud prospect in Lehner (or was that they year Lehner was struggling in the AHL?).
Asset management. They'll easily get more than what they traded away for him, making Murray look like a genius.

Chips* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:42 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bach View Post
Asset management. They'll easily get more than what they traded away for him, making Murray look like a genius.
anderson cut his hand slicing frozen chicken after a game last spring.

we were a playoff team, couldnt risk just going with lehner (who was struggling in the AHL at the time).

Bishop ended up playing 10 games at .500, which was all we needed to bridge the gap and sneak in as the 8 seed last year.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:43 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
anderson cut his hand slicing frozen chicken after a game last spring.
Ah yes, forgot about that incident.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:45 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Would Phoenix be interested in Bishop?

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
February 23rd -In the midst of a playoff racehttp://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=618563

February 26th-What kept them in http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388911

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:56 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Possibly, but not sure about this statement. They traded a 2nd for him, im pretty sure there is no way he yields a 1st. And don't think he will get the return of Lindback. So if Ottawa is lucky they will get a 2nd and maybe a 3/4/5 draft choice as a supplement. Teams won't trade a great prospect either for Bishop, maybe a long term project at best. The biggest problem for Ottawa is similar to what St. Louis had, that being that they feel the need to move Bishop because they have 2 other good goalies and other teams know this.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:06 AM
sauce11

sens need a Dman, ideally top 4/5... we could potentially add to bishop but nothing too significant, in my opinion.

so thats a no to theo peckham straight up

sauce11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:26 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce11 View Post
sens need a Dman, ideally top 4/5... we could potentially add to bishop but nothing too significant, in my opinion.

so thats a no to theo peckham straight up
If Luongo gets traded Bishop could be a good backup. Would you do

Ballard

For

Bishop
2nd

Old
01-24-2013, 02:28 AM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

Ballard

For

Bishop
2nd
I don't think they would. A 2nd is probably the most value we could get for Ballard right now.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:32 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I don't think they would. A 2nd is probably the most value we could get for Ballard right now.
Fair enough. Ballard had a good game tonight with Tanev. Anything less than that would not be worth taking away depth on Vancouvers blue line.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:38 AM
T-Funk

Send him to the Oilers thx.

Does he hit?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:44 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Luongo to TOR, Bishop to EDM, then the teams involved send Bishop to TOR and Luongo to EDM

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:44 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Possibly, but not sure about this statement. They traded a 2nd for him, im pretty sure there is no way he yields a 1st. And don't think he will get the return of Lindback. So if Ottawa is lucky they will get a 2nd and maybe a 3/4/5 draft choice as a supplement. Teams won't trade a great prospect either for Bishop, maybe a long term project at best. The biggest problem for Ottawa is similar to what St. Louis had, that being that they feel the need to move Bishop because they have 2 other good goalies and other teams know this.
on the other hand, the goalie market at the moment is:
1. Luongo
2. Bishop
3. Someone that isnt good enough to be a backup on their current team.

as long as vancouver keeps demanding the moon, bishop has value. Personally, i think they could cash him in for a 2nd right now (and keep in mind, ottawa traded a 2013 2nd for him, so they'd be essentially getting those 10 games last year for free). Ottawa doesnt want a 2nd though. They want a dman who can play now. I expect them to wait this out and hope that someone's goalie problems fit our need (hey phoenix, i hear you have a lot of defensemen, eh?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Luongo to TOR, Bishop to EDM, then the teams involved send Bishop to TOR and Luongo to EDM
I dont think nonis is the type of gm who would acquire luongo just to trade him back to vancouver's divison. Certainly not the way to make friends with other GM's.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:52 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
on the other hand, the goalie market at the moment is:
1. Luongo
2. Bishop
3. Someone that isnt good enough to be a backup on their current team.

as long as vancouver keeps demanding the moon, bishop has value. Personally, i think they could cash him in for a 2nd right now (and keep in mind, ottawa traded a 2013 2nd for him, so they'd be essentially getting those 10 games last year for free). Ottawa doesnt want a 2nd though. They want a dman who can play now. I expect them to wait this out and hope that someone's goalie problems fit our need (hey phoenix, i hear you have a lot of defensemen, eh?).

I dont think nonis is the type of gm who would acquire luongo just to trade him back to vancouver's divison. Certainly not the way to make friends with other GM's.
So THATS what its all about.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Hawks look like a team that would really want him. We've talked about this already. 2nd + midlevel prospect should do it?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:48 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Hawks look like a team that would really want him. We've talked about this already. 2nd + midlevel prospect should do it?
I think at this point, Ottawa would be looking ideally for a roster player; preferably a #4/5 defenceman.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:50 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I think that if they haven't moved him by the deadline that's the type of value they'd be looking for. I can't help but think that the reason he's still here though is because Senators management think they can flip him for a defenceman.

stempniaksen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:34 AM
JackBauer

Put it this way. For Ottawa to trade him, the offer has to be:

> 2nd rd pick. Not >=.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:35 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Ballard

For

Bishop
2nd
I think he would be a solid choice for Vancouver to go after, but it I'm Ottawa, I say no thanks to that. Ballard is worth a second rounder alone, not a second and Bishop.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:55 AM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 362
Bishop for Peckham + Omark.

Peckham can add some depth and grit to your D-line, and Omark gets a much-needed change of scenery. Might not amount to anything, but the main piece of the deal is Peckham anyhow.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:55 AM
416Leafer

I'm assuming Calgary has no interest in Luongo... so I don't see why that would "gum up" any trades between Calgary and Ottawa for Bishop.

Makes sense, Calgary needs a backup. Ottawa probably prefers to trade out of conference.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:33 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 279
On Tuesday's Oiler intermission, McKenzie said that Ott will want more than the 2nd they got. Never really mentioned if they'd want a d-man or not. Honestly what kind of d-man could you really expect. From Edmotnon it would be Peckham/Potter/Teubert, can't see those guys having much more value than a 4th.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:35 AM
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
I think at this point, Ottawa would be looking ideally for a roster player; preferably a #4/5 defenceman.
Bishop for Franson or Kostka?

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote