HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jay Bouwmeester to any Eastern Conference team

Old
01-24-2013, 02:53 AM
REM17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishDevil View Post
Most of the reasoning behind my Bouwmeester for Volchenkov deal was that despite Bouwmeester having the much worse contract at current, he only has one more season left after this year compared to Volchenkovs three. As previous posters have pointed out, the devils currently have a bit of a logjam on defence, but i don't really expect that to be too much of a problem.

Salvador (36), Zidlicky (35) and Tallinder (34) are all in the latter part of their careers and Zidlicky is a UFA at season end with Tallinder having one more year left; it would give us the flexibility in the 2013-2014 off-season to reassess our defence and either resign Tallinder and Bouwmeester (on a much cheaper deal) or go with some of our promising youngsters (Merrill, Gelinas, Burlon, Urbom etc).

Just a thought anyway, not that i desperately want rid of Volchenkov or anything, but i definitely feel as though Bouwmeester could contribute here in NJ, especially with our philosophy to play three defensive pairs with relatively equal minutes and not require him to be the #1 guy on defence. Also with Zidlicky being 35 and a UFA, it wouldn't hurt to have another defenceman who can play the point on the PP, as he's pretty much our only option at current.

Additionally we can always ship out surplus defenders in addition to this trade, obviously we need to make space for Larsson, but one of Zidlicky, Greene, Fayne or Tallinder will probably find their way out of the door for forward help sooner rather than later anyway.

Tallinder - Larsson
Greene - Fayne
Salvador - Bouwmeester
Harrold

Would be fine with me.
that's exactly my reasoning as well!
JBo going to be Zid's replacement and since Volch is starting to wear down, this might be the perfect time to move him.
with regards to the prospects, apart from Larsson Merrill is the only one with a similiar toolset as JBo and I can't get rid of the impression that he is a headcase and will never make it to the NHL.

But anyway, as long as they are on a winning streak it does not make sense at all to shake up the roster with a trade.

REM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:35 AM
EnglishDevil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM17 View Post
that's exactly my reasoning as well!
JBo going to be Zid's replacement and since Volch is starting to wear down, this might be the perfect time to move him.
with regards to the prospects, apart from Larsson Merrill is the only one with a similiar toolset as JBo and I can't get rid of the impression that he is a headcase and will never make it to the NHL.

But anyway, as long as they are on a winning streak it does not make sense at all to shake up the roster with a trade.
I have high hopes for Merrill, but i agree the jury is still out on him and he's certainly by no means a lock to contribute at the NHL level. I obviously don't expect this trade to happen, but i definitely expect a defender to be leaving the devils to make room for Larsson fairly soon, especially with how thin we are at forward right now.

In general though, although this is unlikely to happen i would definitely pull the trigger on it, although i'm not sure that Volchenkov will diminish significantly in terms of skill over the next three and a half seasons, i just feel as though Bouwmeester might be a lot more successful on a team like the Devils where the pressure is off and our defence is more of a committee than a single big name. His offensive instincts (despite not being on the level of his days in Florida) are still better than pretty much anyone on our team, and if he was a total flop it's not like we have to resign him after next year anyway.

The biggest flaw with our defence at current is that whilst we have depth, a lot of them are aging and the only one with any real offensive instincts (Zidlicky) is a UFA at seasons end. Whilst i like what Volchenkov brings, we have enough physicality without him as well as several great two way defencemen in Tallinder, Greene, Fayne and Larsson. I would definitely favour Bouwmeester over Volchenkov merely because of the offensive dimension of his game, even if it will never be as good as his Florida days or worth the price tag he carries. More importantly as i previously mentioned, it lets us reassess our defence in general over the next two off-seasons; either giving roles to our prospects such as Merrill and Gelinas who have offensive promise or using free agency. The reality is however that some defensive turnover is to be expected over the next few seasons and the remaining year and half on Bouwmeesters contract wouldn't be particularly prohibitive even if he came here and did poorly.

EnglishDevil is offline   Reply With Quote