HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

New Arena deal agreed to by city and Katz group:mod warning #616

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 02:58 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
They delayed it for 2 years shame on them. Also why is it not a 20,000 seat arena?
because the fan base has to feel that tickets are difficult to get and, therefore, are inclined to purchase them in advance. If people believe they can always get tickets at the door, they may change their mind when it's -30 or if Crosby is injuried. this is why advanced sales are preferred. many studies have been conducted and the number crunches have concluded that the happy medium between more seats and a perception of scarcity is 18 500.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:58 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
A 300 year agreement eh
oops

Old
01-24-2013, 04:57 AM
MotorMaster

vCash: 500
Just curious are they still going with the original design? I thought I read some where they were going to make changes to cut the cost...like using different materials..etc

BTW congrats on the new arena.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:01 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMaster View Post
Just curious are they still going with the original design? I thought I read some where they were going to make changes to cut the cost...like using different materials..etc

BTW congrats on the new arena.
Quote:
Design changes include: a redesign of
the Wintergarden to more closely align
with the original $50M (2011
Framework). The iconic stainless steel
cladding for the Arena has been largely
retained, but is executed in a more costeffective
manner. The interface
between the arena and Wintergarden
was redesigned for cost savings.
The stainless steel elements were once zinc as well, but that changed a while back. The building itself looks very much like the original agreement still.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:43 AM
DareDoiler

I feel like I'm missing something? The province has said no, no, and no to the 100 million they are expected to chip in for the arena, and yet the shovels to the ground deal includes the 100 million from the province?

Redford is on tv tonight to talk about the provinces fiscal state (not good) which will presumably talk about job cuts, program cuts, who know what. I mean (whatever your thoughts on Redford) it's one thing for the provincial government to chip in when things are good, but I just don't see how the done deal includes money from a govt that has said no multiple times, and now, 24 hours before redfords expected bleak announcement, 2.5 months before an expected bleak fiscal year end, that Mandel and Katz think they will be able to sway the minds of the provs?

Likely there is a lot I don't know or understand, but it just doesn't make sense. I feel like they will put shovels to the ground, hit the point of no return, and when they still don't see that 100 mil, they will just say "we expected provincial support and that hasn't happened, so now we have to find that 100 mil by doing this, this, and that."

TL;DR how can this be a done deal when 100 mil is still unaccounted for?

Old
01-24-2013, 05:55 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
I don't know the specifics but apparently there is a way to indirectly use provincial funding given to the city for whatever it wants to use it for. The prov. govt just doesn't want to write a cheque "pay to the order of arena dudes" directly.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:14 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
congrats up there! glad this FINALLY got done.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:57 AM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
I'm glad they finally got it done. We've been needing a new arena for a while. Lets just hope the tax hikes they make to pay for the arena are reasonable for the average Albertan to pay.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:02 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethOfDragnz View Post
I'm glad they finally got it done. We've been needing a new arena for a while. Lets just hope the tax hikes they make to pay for the arena are reasonable for the average Albertan to pay.
Any tax hikes arising from the arena will be trivial. People who use phrases like we're "getting bent over by a billionaire" are just being dramatic.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
On a more serious note, what kind of restaurants and shops do people want to see down there? I think it might be wise to open another Cactus Club at the plaza and definitely could see a Tim Hortons there despite it not being a high class place. Obviously a giant sports bar on the second floor overlooking the plaza with giant glass windows so you can see all the action inside would be cool.
I'd be willing to bet they'll want an Oilers equivalent of Real Sports or Flames Central. As for the rest...expect middle of the road chain mediocrity (which it seems you already do).

Aside note, I feel bad for any small business downtown that is trying to make a go of it. Must suck knowing that your tax dollars are going to help subsidize large corporations with whom you will be competing for customers.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:12 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Gary Bettman deserves some credit getting the two sides together. Just heard the interview on 630, both LaForge and Mayor Mendel praised and thanked Bettman for his work.

Bettman help kept Oilers in Edmonton once, and now the new arena deal.

Who said Bettman has done nothing for hockey? They meant Fehr, right!?
Yep. Gregor was talking with Staples yesterday and said both sides had to listen to Bettman, because he was for both sides. Agreed with the City on some issues and agreed with Katz on some. Now if only the NHL could find a mediator like Bettman.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:15 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
here's an idea...boycott by not going to any Oiler games or concerts in the new arena
Don't forget Oprah

Old
01-24-2013, 09:21 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Any tax hikes arising from the arena will be trivial. People who use phrases like we're "getting bent over by a billionaire" are just being dramatic.
It's not tax hikes that matter, but money spent. They're not the same thing. People who refer to tax hikes are missing the point.

I hope Diotte runs for mayor so Edmonton can be rid of one of the worst councillors in many years. But God help you if he actually wins.

I hope they increase the seating a bit. I know the reason for not making it huge, but another 500-1,000 seats.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Not celebrating till the shovels are in the ground.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I will definitely take pictures of the first shovels

Old
01-24-2013, 09:30 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
It's not tax hikes that matter, but money spent. They're not the same thing. People who refer to tax hikes are missing the point.

I hope Diotte runs for mayor so Edmonton can be rid of one of the worst councillors in many years. But God help you if he actually wins.

I hope they increase the seating a bit. I know the reason for not making it huge, but another 500-1,000 seats.
Are they making any changes like that at this point? Or just doing minor changes.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Pepin le bref

Congrats guys, well deserved. Any pics/sketch of the new arena?

Old
01-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Hockey Nightmare

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...052/story.html

Three versions. It's the top one.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDoiler View Post
I feel like I'm missing something? The province has said no, no, and no to the 100 million they are expected to chip in for the arena, and yet the shovels to the ground deal includes the 100 million from the province?

Redford is on tv tonight to talk about the provinces fiscal state (not good) which will presumably talk about job cuts, program cuts, who know what. I mean (whatever your thoughts on Redford) it's one thing for the provincial government to chip in when things are good, but I just don't see how the done deal includes money from a govt that has said no multiple times, and now, 24 hours before redfords expected bleak announcement, 2.5 months before an expected bleak fiscal year end, that Mandel and Katz think they will be able to sway the minds of the provs?

Likely there is a lot I don't know or understand, but it just doesn't make sense. I feel like they will put shovels to the ground, hit the point of no return, and when they still don't see that 100 mil, they will just say "we expected provincial support and that hasn't happened, so now we have to find that 100 mil by doing this, this, and that."

TL;DR how can this be a done deal when 100 mil is still unaccounted for?
This:

http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/msi.cfm

Quote:
Since 2007, Alberta’s municipalities have been allocated $3.9 billion in MSI funding. This has meant communities across Alberta have been able to build or upgrade their public transit vehicles and facilities, recreation and sport facilities, roadways and bridges, and storm sewer systems, to name a few key projects chosen locally, based on priorities
Or via a lottery put into place. The MSI allows the govt. to indirectly fund the arena.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:46 AM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 132
Edmonton Oilers General Manager Kevin Lowe listens as city council meets to discuss the downtown arena deal on January 23, 2013 in Edmonton.
Photograph by: Greg Southam, Edmonton Journal

hahahaha

Old
01-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Hockey Nightmare

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...tml?id=7862251

He looks so engrossed in the proceedings.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:05 AM
I see only darkness

I am very happy. It is about time.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
This:

Or via a lottery put into place. The MSI allows the govt. to indirectly fund the arena.
Typical misleading post which does little to answer the legitimate concern. MSI is largely spoken and budgeted for with the City already locked into several projects. The city has also overdrew its annaul MSI portion already essentially to fastrack recently completed and ongoing projects. What this means is that future MSI amounts would be slightly reduced unless theres an increase in the economy. But theres more chance of a downturn in the economy.

Clearly the MSI amounts aren't likely to increase significantly or at all (May go down) and the MSI budget is presently spoken for. So where exactly is the MSI going to come from to front an arena build? At best this is a retroactive allocation. Which basically means the city is fronting the entire expenditure and that the city has to earmark its FUTURE MSI allocation mostly to the arena instead of other suitable community projects for which the program was designed. Basically robbing communities to build a downtown arena.

Last edited by Replacement: 01-24-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old
01-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
This:

I'm surprised more people don't know this and insist the average tax payer is getting the shaft.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:31 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Until it's determined where the extra $100M is coming from, I won't feel at ease about this.

Closed Thread