HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikolai Kulemin

Old
01-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Erdinger

vCash: 500
Best game he's had for sure since 2010-2011. Hopefully he's back to his old self and then I'll be right back on his bandwagon like I was back then.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:08 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Best game he's had for sure since 2010-2011. Hopefully he's back to his old self and then I'll be right back on his bandwagon like I was back then.
Pens fan saying good game tonight, guys. I'll tell you, every time I watch a full game (no channel flipping) with Kulemin, the kid is an absolute beast. It's like he's one player with (playing with or against) Malkin and another one the rest of the time.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:13 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressBoxLegend View Post
lol everyone was hating on kuli and now love the guy..
We were hating for good reason. Until tonight he wasn't playing good hockey. Let's hope he can keep it up because he's a huge asset to this club.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Pens fan saying good game tonight, guys. I'll tell you, every time I watch a full game (no channel flipping) with Kulemin, the kid is an absolute beast. It's like he's one player with (playing with or against) Malkin and another one the rest of the time.
Honestly what would you guys offer for him if he was available?

I asked BenF for Morrow and a conditional 1st, is this doable for Pens fans?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:15 PM
devilishleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressBoxLegend View Post
lol everyone was hating on kuli and now love the guy..
Now trade him!!! LOL No seriously if he could only carry that forward, I think JVR on that line is a huge boost.

devilishleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:38 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Honestly what would you guys offer for him if he was available?

I asked BenF for Morrow and a conditional 1st, is this doable for Pens fans?
I'll answer honestly (and please don't interpret anything in my answer as devaluing or disrespect for Kumy, because I like the guy as much as many of your more staunch defenders here):

I can't see Morrow or Pouliot in any deal except for an impact winger to play with Crosby. I also can't see a first in this draft. It's just too deep, and, again, that's a chip Shero is holding for an impact winger to play with Crosby.

I conceivably could see him parting with a 2nd, even in this deep draft. I maybe could see him parting with Harrington for Kulemin.

I don't know about Bennett. I think he probably falls into the Morrow and Pouliot category.

It's not a question of what I think he's worth. I wouldn't pay Morrow and a conditional first in this draft, but I'd be willing to pay more than a lot of Pens fans.

The problem is trying to assess what I think Shero might be willing to pay.

Conversely, I appreciate the problem for you as Leafs fans. He shows you games like this and had the 30 goal season. Then, he gives you the 7 game season and games like his first two this year. You're paying that guy almost 3M a year, and he'll be a UFA after next year (I'd think at that point slight odds are he may go play with Malkin or another of his Russian buddies). Ideally, you'd like to parlay him with other pieces into a top line center, but anyone making an offer will be offering pieces. I guess at some point the question become whether the pieces collectively would have greater trade/long term value for the Leafs than Kulemin.

Me, I'd be looking at something like Kennedy, Harrington, and a second this year. You'd get a guy with comparable production (IMO, not as good a player mind you) who'd come off the books after this year (giving you more cap flexibility this offseason), a guy who would've been a 1st in his draft year knowing what we know now about him, and a 2nd in a draft so deep that it's the equivalent of a high second, maybe even a very late first in many draft years.

I'm not trying to sell you on anything. I'm just saying what I'd be willing to do if he were available (me, I'd also make it a choice of Harrington or Matta).

Old
01-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Interactif

Quote:
I'll answer honestly (and please don't interpret anything in my answer as devaluing or disrespect for Kumy, because I like the guy as much as many of your more staunch defenders here):

I can't see Morrow or Pouliot in any deal except for an impact winger to play with Crosby. I also can't see a first in this draft. It's just too deep, and, again, that's a chip Shero is holding for an impact winger to play with Crosby.

I conceivably could see him parting with a 2nd, even in this deep draft. I maybe could see him parting with Harrington for Kulemin.

I don't know about Bennett. I think he probably falls into the Morrow and Pouliot category.

It's not a question of what I think he's worth. I wouldn't pay Morrow and a conditional first in this draft, but I'd be willing to pay more than a lot of Pens fans.

The problem is trying to assess what I think Shero might be willing to pay.

Conversely, I appreciate the problem for you as Leafs fans. He shows you games like this and had the 30 goal season. Then, he gives you the 7 game season and games like his first two this year. You're paying that guy almost 3M a year, and he'll be a UFA after next year (I'd think at that point slight odds are he may go play with Malkin or another of his Russian buddies). Ideally, you'd like to parlay him with other pieces into a top line center, but anyone making an offer will be offering pieces. I guess at some point the question become whether the pieces collectively would have greater trade/long term value for the Leafs than Kulemin.

Me, I'd be looking at something like Kennedy, Harrington, and a second this year. You'd get a guy with comparable production (IMO, not as good a player mind you) who'd come off the books after this year (giving you more cap flexibility this offseason), a guy who would've been a 1st in his draft year knowing what we know now about him, and a 2nd in a draft so deep that it's the equivalent of a high second, maybe even a very late first in many draft years.

I'm not trying to sell you on anything. I'm just saying what I'd be willing to do if he were available (me, I'd also make it a choice of Harrington or Matta).
Thanks for the honest answer, I am a little surprised you would give up Harrington which makes me think you guys are very high on Morrow, BenF said as much. Pouliot was a guy he would be willing to let go.

I'll be honest too, we have many D in our system, Rielly, Percy, Finn, Nilsson, and on our current roster Gardiner. I wouldn't be opposed to adding to the D, Harrington would be an interesting piece since he is a near ready prospect and we need perhaps more shut down D then another Pouliot type D man.

Yeah I am interested, but to be honest Morrow is the guy I always liked. Seems like Pens fans don't want to move him, sort of like Rielly for us. To me It all depends if we are in a playoff race, Kule will be a UFA after next season and we may not have the $ to sign him with Phaneuf and Kessel's contracts up.

Harrington, honestly and don't take this negatively, I thought he was a bit overrated for our national team, but I do recognize he can be a top 4 D man and shut down guy. This one makes me think.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:08 AM
HappyGilmourr

Kulemin is a huge part of our 9 and will be for the next 10 years!! He's one of the hardest working players on this team. If he's scoring he's a great two-way forward to have in the top 6 if he's not than he's a huge piece to a shutdown line on the 3rd.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:18 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Thanks for the honest answer, I am a little surprised you would give up Harrington which makes me think you guys are very high on Morrow, BenF said as much. Pouliot was a guy he would be willing to let go.

I'll be honest too, we have many D in our system, Rielly, Percy, Finn, Nilsson, and on our current roster Gardiner. I wouldn't be opposed to adding to the D, Harrington would be an interesting piece since he is a near ready prospect and we need perhaps more shut down D then another Pouliot type D man.

Yeah I am interested, but to be honest Morrow is the guy I always liked. Seems like Pens fans don't want to move him, sort of like Rielly for us. To me It all depends if we are in a playoff race, Kule will be a UFA after next season and we may not have the $ to sign him with Phaneuf and Kessel's contracts up.

Harrington, honestly and don't take this negatively, I thought he was a bit overrated for our national team, but I do recognize he can be a top 4 D man and shut down guy. This one makes me think.
Yeah, Morrow is a guy Shero is really high on.

Harrington, I wouldn't race to get rid of. And, I understand why you wouldn't see a guy like him as a need.

Then again, guys like Harrington do have decent trade value. And, if you have one more, it just means that you've added a trade chip.

You add that to the 2nd in this draft, and, yeah, I was thinking if you're not in it and Kumy is kind of erratic (when he's not on the ice with or against Malkin ), then maybe it sort of makes sense.

I appreciate the answer. Seems like we're in agreement on value, based on where the Leafs are at in two months.

FYI, I'd do Pouliot straight up, but neither Shero nor most Pens fans would.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR

I really do love Kulie...but there may be a time in the not so distant future where we need to cash in on him. With Perry, Getzlaf and Clowe UFA's and lots of forwards prospects in the pipelines, in the right deal, Kulemin is tradable.

Blayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:28 AM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
I really do love Kulie...but there may be a time in the not so distant future where we need to cash in on him. With Perry, Getzlaf and Clowe UFA's and lots of forwards prospects in the pipelines, in the right deal, Kulemin is tradable.

NOPE. I keeeel you.

No forward in our system is his size nor his defensively skilled.

I wish Malkin would come to the Leafs! lol

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:30 AM
12345*

Quote:
Yeah, Morrow is a guy Shero is really high on.

Harrington, I wouldn't race to get rid of. And, I understand why you wouldn't see a guy like him as a need.

Then again, guys like Harrington do have decent trade value. And, if you have one more, it just means that you've added a trade chip.

You add that to the 2nd in this draft, and, yeah, I was thinking if you're not in it and Kumy is kind of erratic (when he's not on the ice with or against Malkin ), then maybe it sort of makes sense.

I appreciate the answer. Seems like we're in agreement on value, based on where the Leafs are at in two months.

FYI, I'd do Pouliot straight up, but neither Shero nor most Pens fans would.
We dont need more defencemen. Period. Our D core is young with a glut in the system.

Kulemin isn't going anywhere unless a 1C is coming back.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:33 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

my post looks pretty good right about now.

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Superstar

Quote:

Kulemin is already a top 6 forward and a shutdown guy -- let's trade a young two-way winger, 30 goal scorer we drafted and developed for some uncertainty. No thanks.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:07 AM
Jerkini

It's good to know Kulemin needs to score only 3 points a game to silence the critics.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:05 AM
OptimusReimer34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Trading him right now makes no sense I agree. However if the Pens were to offer up a reasonable trade at the deadline I would like the Leafs to take them up on it if Kulie hasn't snapped out his year long funk by then.
If Kulemin doesn't snap out of his funk then yeah I agree we should try to ship him if the price is good. However with that being said, I really don't want to trade him at all it he can get back to playing the way he was 2 seasons ago, or atleast somewhere in the middle of his last 2 seasons.

OptimusReimer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
NOPE. I keeeel you.

No forward in our system is his size nor his defensively skilled.

I wish Malkin would come to the Leafs! lol
Malkin is UFA after next season. He'll always be #2 in Pittsburgh, but would immediately be the man in Toronto.

Malkin and Kulemin playing together in the NHL isn't unrealistic, the question is where.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:49 AM
Hologram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
It's good to know Kulemin needs to score only 3 points a game to silence the critics.
Kuli did much more than "score only 3 points" last night.

Hologram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
He hasn't played that way since his 30 goal season, even if he came out of that game with zero points.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Amazing what a game makes huh?

Old
01-24-2013, 07:18 AM
leafspring*

Thats the way he played almost every game in his career year is all i can say. That was a messier,gainey type of dominating game simply brilliant down to the smallest little chips out,dumps. Everything he did was timed perfect.

That was about as perfect a game you'll see from any player all year in the all-round game context. He was friggin asleep the first 2 games. Thats what he can bring though. Loved watching it too.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Thats the way he played almost every game in his career year is all i can say. That was a messier,gainey type of dominating game simply brilliant down to the smallest little chips out,dumps. Everything he did was timed perfect.

That was about as perfect a game you'll see from any player all year in the all-round game context. He was friggin asleep the first 2 games. Thats what he can bring though. Loved watching it too.
Going to give credit to Grabo, JVR, and Kule. All of them responded to good coaching, all were challenged all responded in effort and production. They only made one mistake last night on the Crosby giveaway goal, but other than that it was as close to a perfect game a line can have.

Let's see some consistency from them now. Starting tonight against the NY Isles.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:39 AM
GermanLeaf

I've said it after his 30g season and will say it again if Kuli is on his game offensively, his selke-esque defense qualifies him as a first liner. He isn't fully there yet, but if he can regain his form from two years ago, he is a keeper. There aren't many guys out there, who offer a similar combination of size and blazing speed.

GermanLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Malkin is UFA after next season. He'll always be #2 in Pittsburgh, but would immediately be the man in Toronto.

Malkin and Kulemin playing together in the NHL isn't unrealistic, the question is where.
Malkin would be a dream come true!

Especially as a FA!!!

Realistically Pitt would trade him if they got ANY indication he wont resign... They simply couldn't let him walk considering they could get a BOATLOAD for him.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:31 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Going to give credit to Grabo, JVR, and Kule. All of them responded to good coaching, all were challenged all responded in effort and production. They only made one mistake last night on the Crosby giveaway goal, but other than that it was as close to a perfect game a line can have.

Let's see some consistency from them now. Starting tonight against the NY Isles.
You know what they say about limiting the the great players is about all you can do.

They caused the Penguins to make numerous mistakes on the flip side. The line came out motivated,and it was really visable from shift one to my eye. It was a fun to watch game.

Hopefully practice is optional today for their efforts. I think RC will rest them? lol

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote