HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

prime vs prime.Lindros vs Sakic

View Poll Results: better prime
Lindros 74 55.64%
Sakic 59 44.36%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
Lindros' peak may have been higher, but Sakic's wasn't that far behind and his prime was MUCH longer...he has to get credit for that.

EDIT: The only way Lindros has a chance at winning this is if you consider prime a set time period (i.e. best 4 years), which I don't, I consider prime the time when a player is at or near his best. Sakic was at or near his best for a lot more years and a lot more games than Lindros was at his own slightly higher level. That fact makes Sakic the easy choice for me.

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 01-23-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Hawkey Town 18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Sakic.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
See, I don't understand that particular line of reasoning. Based on what they actually did in their most significant games, I'd take Sakic in a heartbeat. While Lindros was undoubtedly the more talented and naturally-gifted of the two, rising to the occasion and playing your best hockey at the most important moments should also be considered part of someone's skillset.
Subjectivity and opportunity bias; both in terms of what it means to "actually do" something, and what a "significant game" is.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:24 PM
DDIHH

Sakic in the 2002 Olympic gold medal game may be my "all-time peak of a player ever"

But I have a uber-bias with Sakic

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:46 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

You guys can take all the stats and chuck 'em. The question is best prime vs prime.

Let's play pretend. You can have one player for game seven of the Stanley Cup final. Lindros at his peak, or Sakic at his peak. their games will each be tied with the best game of their lives.

Joe Sakic is a legend, a great player and an even better man. I could not have more respect for him as a champion or a person.

I would take Lindros for that game 100 times out of 100. Not even a hint od doubt in that decision.

Career-wise, I want Sakic (knowing what we know now). No question about that, either.

I can only guess that people not taking Lindros did not get to experience what a complete and utter freak of nature and humanity he was. He may be the choice for what the hockey gods would create as THE prototypical hockey player that has or will ever live. It just didn't work out.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:59 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Sakic every day and twice on sunday! You have to count longevity of said prime... and Sakic's prime being as close, then when you consider longevity in said prime, Sakic then runs away with it!

One of the most clutch players in the history of the game! One player for one game to win the cup, I'd take Sakic over Lindros in a heartbeat due to his clutchness!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Nihiliste

People seem to be using peak and prime interchangeably.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:51 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
Peak Lindros, prime Sakic.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Horseradish

This shouldn't be that close. When Lindros was in his prime, he was either the best or 2nd/3rd best in the game. Sakic was top 10, and for a much longer time, but Lindros completely and utterly dominated games.

Either HF fans are showing their young age, or people aren't remembering Lindros' top 4-5 years properly.

Horseradish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:33 AM
DDIHH

Who would you take in overtime of game 7 of the stanley cup finale? I wonder who is the league leader in playoff overtime goals in NHL history

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:54 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
See, I don't understand that particular line of reasoning. Based on what they actually did in their most significant games, I'd take Sakic in a heartbeat. While Lindros was undoubtedly the more talented and naturally-gifted of the two, rising to the occasion and playing your best hockey at the most important moments should also be considered part of someone's skillset.
Anyway you slice it, Lindros was more dominate in his prime. Yes Sakic was good for a longer period of time and played on some teams that were good enough to put him in the position to score some big goals. But PPG wise in Lindros's prime you were more likely to see him put up more points and also take over a game physically.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Crease

Lindros had a higher peak, but that's not what the OP is asking.

If we're comparing primes, it looks something like this:

Lindros (93-94 to 99-00)
Regular Season:
GP: 425 G: 249 A: 335 P: 584 PPG: 1.4
Playoffs
GP: 50 G: 24 A: 33 P: 57 PPG: 1.1
Awards & Honors
1st Team NHL All-Star (94-95)
2nd Team NHL All-Star (95-96)
Hart (94-95)
Lindsay (94-95)
Finishes
Goals: 6, 7, 9
Assists: 4, 6, 9

Sakic (92-93 to 00-01)
Regular Season:
GP: 635 G: 318 A: 493 P: 811 PPG: 1.3
Playoffs
GP: 114 G: 56 A: 73 P: 129 PPG: 1.13
Awards & Honors
1st Team NHL All-Star (00-01)
Conn Smythe (95-96)
Hart (00-01)
Lindsay (00-01)
Lady Byng (00-01)
Finishes
Goals: 2, 5, 6
Assists: 3, 4, 5, 5, 8

The hardest part for me is defining the prime years for Sakic. He was so consistently good for so many years. He actually had some of his best relative finishes in 2002 and 2003.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:52 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Sakic's prime lasted longer... so I gotta go with him... but if you mean who was better in the peak of their career, I have to go with Lindros.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:54 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Lindros had a higher peak, but that's not what the OP is asking.

If we're comparing primes, it looks something like this:

Lindros (93-94 to 99-00)
Regular Season:
GP: 425 G: 249 A: 335 P: 584 PPG: 1.4
Playoffs
GP: 50 G: 24 A: 33 P: 57 PPG: 1.1
Awards & Honors
1st Team NHL All-Star (94-95)
2nd Team NHL All-Star (95-96)
Hart (94-95)
Lindsay (94-95)
Finishes
Goals: 6, 7, 9
Assists: 4, 6, 9

Sakic (92-93 to 00-01)
Regular Season:
GP: 635 G: 318 A: 493 P: 811 PPG: 1.3
Playoffs
GP: 114 G: 56 A: 73 P: 129 PPG: 1.13
Awards & Honors
1st Team NHL All-Star (00-01)
Conn Smythe (95-96)
Hart (00-01)
Lindsay (00-01)
Lady Byng (00-01)
Finishes
Goals: 2, 5, 6
Assists: 3, 4, 5, 5, 8

The hardest part for me is defining the prime years for Sakic. He was so consistently good for so many years. He actually had some of his best relative finishes in 2002 and 2003.
I don't even think Lindros had a higher peak. In 2000-01, Sakic had 118 points. Only Jagr, who spent half the year on the same line as Mario Lemieux had more points (121). 3rd place Patrick Elias was way back with 96 points. That same year, Sakic was a Selke finalist and then led the playoffs in scoring. The following spring, he was MVP of the 2002 Olympics. At his peak, Sakic was better than Lindros ever was both offensively and defensively, and Sakic was a much better playoff performer. I really don't see how Lindros' physical play closes the gap.

Then when you consider that Sakic's prime was longer than Lindros' career, I think Sakic easily wins.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:59 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
This shouldn't be that close. When Lindros was in his prime, he was either the best or 2nd/3rd best in the game. Sakic was top 10, and for a much longer time, but Lindros completely and utterly dominated games.

Either HF fans are showing their young age, or people aren't remembering Lindros' top 4-5 years properly.
Or people just value a prime of 15+ years more than 4 or 5.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't even think Lindros had a higher peak. In 2000-01, Sakic had 118 points. Only Jagr, who spent half the year on the same line as Mario Lemieux had more points (121). 3rd place Patrick Elias was way back with 96 points. That same year, Sakic was a Selke finalist and then led the playoffs in scoring. The following spring, he was MVP of the 2002 Olympics. At his peak, Sakic was better than Lindros ever was both offensively and defensively, and Sakic was a much better playoff performer. I really don't see how Lindros' physical play closes the gap.

Then when you consider that Sakic's prime was longer than Lindros' career, I think Sakic easily wins.
I'm compelled to give the peak edge to Lindros based on his performance in 94-95, but it's very close for me. What are your thoughts on Lindros 94-95 vs. Sakic 00-01?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

Lindros, Sakic is very close though.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:

I agree completely.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:44 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
You guys can take all the stats and chuck 'em. The question is best prime vs prime.

Let's play pretend. You can have one player for game seven of the Stanley Cup final. Lindros at his peak, or Sakic at his peak. their games will each be tied with the best game of their lives.

Joe Sakic is a legend, a great player and an even better man. I could not have more respect for him as a champion or a person.

I would take Lindros for that game 100 times out of 100. Not even a hint od doubt in that decision.

Career-wise, I want Sakic (knowing what we know now). No question about that, either.

I can only guess that people not taking Lindros did not get to experience what a complete and utter freak of nature and humanity he was. He may be the choice for what the hockey gods would create as THE prototypical hockey player that has or will ever live. It just didn't work out.
The prototypical hockey player would have the ability to keep his head up when he's stickhandling.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Descendent*

I voted for Sakic.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:02 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Interesting phrasing of the question. I'd say Lindros was "better" in his prime, but because of everything we know in hindsight, Sakic had the better prime. Multiple, "full", 100 point seasons, Cups, etc.
Completely true. I would rather have the Lindros of 1994-98 than Sakic from any period of a similar length, if his health was guaranteed. That is a big if though, and of course Sakic's prime ended up being almost three times as long as Lindros'.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I'm compelled to give the peak edge to Lindros based on his performance in 94-95, but it's very close for me. What are your thoughts on Lindros 94-95 vs. Sakic 00-01?
Sakic was better offensively and defensively and better in the playoffs. Lindros was a feared wrecking ball, but I don't see it making up the gap in everything else.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:20 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Completely true. I would rather have the Lindros of 1994-98 than Sakic from any period of a similar length, if his health was guaranteed. That is a big if though, and of course Sakic's prime ended up being almost three times as long as Lindros'.
But in the real world, Sakic is an easy choice, IMO.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:16 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
But in the real world, Sakic is an easy choice, IMO.
True, which is why I said it is a big if and voted for Sakic.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Sakic was better offensively and defensively and better in the playoffs. Lindros was a feared wrecking ball, but I don't see it making up the gap in everything else.
That sells Lindros short so badly it's not even funny. I've heard Ovechkin referred to the same way. I understand where the aggregate numbers, "intangibles", and fandom puts Sakic in this one, but let's look a little more at the "calibre" we're talking about here. While it's true that PPG rates are often misused to extrapolate small samples, or give credit for games that aren't played, I think it still reveals a bit about what separated Lindros from even Sakic.

Sakic's highest assists/game rates actually came in shortened/strike seasons, which is nice because so did Lindros', lol.

(sorry, I don't do the table thing because I'm lazy)

Sakic ('91/92): 69 GP, 0.94 APG
Lindros ('95/96): 73 GP, 0.93 APG
Sakic ('94/95): 47 GP, 0.91 APG
Lindros ('96/97): 52 PG, 0.90 APG
Lindros ('94/95): 46 GP, 0.89 APG
Sakic ('99/00): 60 GP, 0.88 APG
Sakic ('95/96): 82 GP, 0.84 APG (*first exception to the "full" season thingy for either guy)
Lindros ('93/94): 65 GP, 0.82 APG

Now, why did I start off with assists? Because I'm going to assume that, in a Lindros vs Sakic comparison, there are many like yourself who just automatically (and lazily, honestly) lumped "playmaking", for example, into Sakic's win column as part of that "everything else". How much does "everything else" add up to, anyway? Relatively speaking, I mean. I think that "table" right there shows that Lindros, when healthy and playing, at his peak, distributed the puck (or created scoring plays for his linemates) at least as well as Sakic, and that might come as a surprise to some.

I'd do the same thing for goals, but it will just clutter up the page. Suffice to say, I think it's interesting that Sakic gets more praise as a consistent scorer for having 5 out of 20 seasons with a 0.50+ GPG scoring pace than Lindros' does for his prolific scoring, with 7 out of "13" seasons over 0.50 GPG. Ranking the GPG rates gives an "order" (highest to lowest) that starts Lindros, Lindros, Sakic, Sakic, Lindros, Lindros. Now, Sakic has more "complete" seasons leading to more, higher aggregate totals, but I think it's fair (not "right") to claim that Lindros was also the better goal scorer at his best, when healthy and playing, and despite the love affair with Sakic's wrist shot, or "clutch" intangible. Opinions will differ, but the production rates are what they are.

So again, I understand the "everything else" part as far as intangibles go, and maybe even "technically" in areas like skating, hockey I.Q., or whatever. But is there anyone who honestly wouldn't pick the much bigger, feared, "better" goal scorer, equal/"better" linemate scoring generator, if we get our wish to have the choice of either guy at their absolute best and healthy? Does Sakic's wear down opponents in-game to the level of someone with the physicality of Lindros? The wording of the poll is the only way I give this one to Sakic, honestly, and I would have Sakic's babies and gladly crap down Lindros' throat. We don't know if it's for a game, or for a series, or for a season. Lindros was healthy for games at a time, and series' at a time, when at his best, so for either of those, I pick Lindros in a heart beat. If he has to last a whole season (or multiple seasons during the "prime") for me to have a chance to "win the bet", it then - and only then - becomes a decision that hindsight tells me has the smart money on Sakic. For any sample of ~50/60 games, though, you get all the offensive production (or more), with 100X the physicality and intimidation, and no real drop in "impact" in the defensive zone (well, I guess Sakic would represent a drop in impact, but a gain in coverage, or something along those lines).

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 01-24-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote