Old
01-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
While Dougie is doing great, and for me, looks like I thought he would at the end of the season, not three games in, let's please remember there will still be growing pains,,there will still be rookie mistakes...there will still be times where he may be tired from the pro game...let's remember these three games when that happens, and not overreact..
Don't disagree at all Lou, and will add, maybe when the high or adrenaline wears off too. But I don't believe he'll tire.

Kid is use to playing 35 - 40 minutes a night at high tempo with some being back to back to back with the third game being an afternoon game after an evening game the night before.

And that Sudbury - Soo - back home trip with 3 games in 3 nights ? Takes longer for that bus ride from the Soo back to St Catherines (where the Ice Dogs play ) than it does to fly from Toronto to Vancouver.

IMO, of all the Bruins, he'll be the most use to a condensed schedule. Don't think he'll tire because of the schedule or playing the game.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:17 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
For sure and the evolution of CJ himself to put the kid out in any and all situations continues to be nice to see
I think that has been the area where Claude has grown the most as head coach. It is a real tribute to him as a person that he was able to change that part of his coaching philosophy- many coaches couldn't do it.

As for Doug Hamilton- I've been waiting for a top flight home grown Bruins defenseman since Ray Bourque left town. I think I've finally got one

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Bonecrusher11
Swedish goal king

The arguments leaf fans had against him were he was "soft" and bad defensively. I have seen the exact opposite so far. And his first point last night! I'm sure there will be some growing pains but I'm excited for the future

Bonecrusher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Do you remember when Chelios wanted to play all 60 minutes? I wonder what the highest is he ever recorded...
Best I've seen is Ray Bourque. Never saw a player that could conserve his energy the way he did. He knew when and how to conserve it.

Not sure who would hold the record. Believe NHL didn't keep it as an official stat until 1997 but teams did (?) Would be curious to see

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Best I've seen is Ray Bourque. Never saw a player that could conserve his energy the way he did. He knew when and how to conserve it.
Isn't he a smoker, too? Crazy lung capacity.

Nightslyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:28 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I think that has been the area where Claude has grown the most as head coach. It is a real tribute to him as a person that he was able to change that part of his coaching philosophy- many coaches couldn't do it.

As for Doug Hamilton- I've been waiting for a top flight home grown Bruins defenseman since Ray Bourque left town. I think I've finally got one
Hope so, think so but I`m going to wait for a larger sample size before allowing myself to get too crazy with excitement, there`s been far too many players, Bruins or otherwise that had me thinking were going to be great then............poof

I don`t believe DH will be one, this could be THE perfect organization for him to develop, with a system and a coaching staff that knows how to work with kids, an exceptionally solid veteran core who not only can help him on the ice, but equally imporantly, how to live/train and carry himself away from the arena, and THAT, is why I had a strong feeling he would be done with Junior A life

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:30 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

Not sure who would hold the record. Believe NHL didn't keep it as an official stat until 1997 but teams did (?) Would be curious to see
Lidstrom was right there with him IMO Dom, Bourque played far more physical but to watch Lidstrom play was a treat, and the stamina of both was astounding considering the ice time both received.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Pie O My

Quote:

Years ago I met Dave Reid (while he was still playing) and actually had time to have a real conversation.

After talking about our respective hockey card collections I asked him if it would be wise of Sutter to limit Bourque's ice time to keep him fresh for the playoffs and he said the problem with that is that he won't come off. He said RB would actually wave off the coach and stay on the ice, and that this happened many times.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
hockeybpr25

Quote:
While Dougie is doing great, and for me, looks like I thought he would at the end of the season, not three games in, let's please remember there will still be growing pains,,there will still be rookie mistakes...there will still be times where he may be tired from the pro game...let's remember these three games when that happens, and not overreact..
He made one last night, the second rangers goal was all on him, he skated over to ference's side to take his defender and left the front of the net open for MG. That being said, the kid is going to be an absolute stud and the sky's the limit with Seguin and Hamiliton as the young faces of this team.

hockeybpr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:14 AM
TSC*
KPD IS ADB

In case anyone was wondering, any Seguin goal assisted by Hamilton will from this point forward will be called "a Kessel."

Usage: Did you see the Bruins got a Kessel last night?
- Yea, that past by Dougie was sick. Seguin buried it.

TSC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSC View Post
In case anyone was wondering, any Seguin goal assisted by Hamilton will from this point forward will be called "a Kessel."

So what would it be if Knight got the secondary assist?

Tim Vezina Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
whatsbruin

Quote:
Do you remember when Chelios wanted to play all 60 minutes? I wonder what the highest is he ever recorded...

When I played, I had teammates like that.
Would play their shift and a few more before they came off.
Bastiges.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
TSC*
KPD IS ADB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
a Full Kessel.

TSC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:56 AM
weaponomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Lidstrom was right there with him IMO Dom, Bourque played far more physical but to watch Lidstrom play was a treat, and the stamina of both was astounding considering the ice time both received.
According to NHL.com Lidstrom played 55:13 in the first game of the season in the 97-98 game. A non overtime game as well. Most of his games were under 30 minutes though.

Ray Bourque routinely played 30-40 minutes every game that season.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:13 AM
WreckItRask

The most impressive thing about Hamilton so far (especially last night) is how great a D partner he is. Quite honestly, in the OHL/WJC games that I've seen him play, I just never saw that. I saw a kid with immense physical talent, great size, and all the physical tools...but I never saw him as just a great D partner. And it's not just playing with Chara either (although that helps), he reads and reacts so well off of whoever he's been paired with so far.

I wasn't totally sold on Hamilton as an all around defenseman before these three games. I thought he'd be a 2nd pairing guy that anchors a Power Play, puts up 40+ points/year because of that, but never really makes the jump to elite two way guy. His offensive play, skating, etc. is exactly as advertised and no surprise. But his defensive awareness and two way game is leaps and bounds ahead of what I thought it was. He's decent in his own end (he's still a kid playing with elite men), he picks his spots well to jump in the rush, and his angles and positioning are really solid.

With all that being said, the realist in me says that he's going to have some stinkers yet to come. He's going to get caught up ice on a bad jump, he's going to outmuscled in the corner, etc. It's going to happen. But based on where he's at today as a player, I think 48 games is more than enough for him to be a factor come playoffs. I don't think he needs to be sheltered as much as I thought coming into the year.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:20 AM
MioneRask134

As if there was no doubt he was staying. Ive gotta give credit to Clode for switching it up and playing the kid as much as he has. Usually with the youngins, he holds him back. But it seems like he's shying away from that finally and letting the kids play. Its great to see.

Hammy has great instincts. So smooth! And he's much much more physical with us than he's ever been. And I love that. I know he's still young, the season is young and he'll make mistakes. But it seems the staff and the players are confident with him. Its full stream ahead.

MioneRask134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:20 AM
brom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
A Hat Trickssel

brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:30 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:

when is the first boston toronto game of the season cause i fully expect a "Kessel" that night.

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Kegs

Can you teach me how to dougie ....

Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:56 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

LOL @ "A Kessel".

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:09 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponomega View Post
According to NHL.com Lidstrom played 55:13 in the first game of the season in the 97-98 game. A non overtime game as well. Most of his games were under 30 minutes though.

Ray Bourque routinely played 30-40 minutes every game that season.
That's sick

Old
01-24-2013, 12:31 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
unlimited based on conditioning and situation.

Ray Bourque at times logged near 40 minutes. But I still think he was an alien.
and that's just one reason why he is my favorite player of all time and absolutely clear-cut 2nd best defenseman ever.

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:35 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
a Full Kessel.

I love it. A Kessel & a Full Kessel.

That's awesome!!

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
According to the stats page, He's averaging 3 shots a night already (9 total). That's good for 42nd in the league. I wonder how that is for just defensmen.. Had 4 recorded shots last night not counting the tip 'shot' that Brad Marchand used to score with.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:59 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I gotta say, Dougie is quickly becoming my favorite bruin next to Bergeron. He is just a pleasure to watch

I am extremely greatful for the team PC has built, thank you'd to Brian Burke as well

Top to bottom the roster is unbelievable. I really hope they give it their all for a cup this year because we stand to lose at least one important player

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote