HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Yakupov or Tarasenko

Old
01-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
I have to agree here. Tarasenko is the total package. The biggest difference is in the way they think the game. As Yakupov grows, he'll likely be nearly as strong as Tarasenko. They both have elite puck skills and can skate very well. But Tarasenko's hockey IQ is significantly better than Yakupov's, and he's always had an extremely strong work ethic. He's very Crosby-like at times fighting for and controlling the puck in the corners, and then setting up his teammates. I remember watching him just physically dominate everyone at the WJC, outworking D in the corners then popping out in front and making a play.

I haven't seen that ability in Yakupov. What I have seen is a guy with an absolute rifle of a shot, who can handle the puck and isn't afraid of driving hard to the net. I can't think of any 18-19 year old prospect with a release like his, outside of maybe Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, and his former Sarnia teammate Reid Boucher.

If he develops properly and learns the game, Yakupov could be a consistent 35-50 goal 70-90 point scorer alongside a playmaking center/winger. I see Tarasenko as a solid two way player putting up consistent 30 goal 80 point seasons.

I'd compare Yakupov to an Ovechkin-lite. Blistering shot, good offensive awareness, powerful hitter, agile skater. I think Toews is a pretty good comparison for Tarasenko. Size/strength, hands, shot, hockey IQ, work ethic, defensive awareness.

If I'm starting a team, I take Toews over Ovechkin.

Although I generally don't like comps, thank you for at least looking for a similar player based on skill and not just a nationality comparison.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:41 AM
bsmith14

Yakupov is not a 1 dimensional player as I have seen some posters mention. Goal scoring and his shot is definately his best asset but he has good vision and passing as well. In his first game I was surprised by how defensively aware he was and played a solid team game.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:16 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Tarasenko put those numbers being a 3rd liner though and having much less TOI and zero PP. As soon as they promoted him to the 1st line he started to produce on a PPG level.

And as to juniors you can't actually compare them. Tarasenko led his team to WJC championship, and Yakupov... Well, you may say anything, but he definitely didn't look as a good leader, when he had to.
Yakupov was on the 3rd line as well, and got little PP time

Tarasenko has looked better so far in his two games. But that is a result of playing 4 years in the KHL and learning great positional skills. Yakupov dominated in a less skilled OHL and relied on his speed and shot to carry his team. So he is far less experienced in knowing the right places to be in the offensive zone. But as he learns in the NHL hell be in the right places at the right time.

I think Stamkos is a great example. Excellent sniper in juniors but came to the NHL and didnt dominate off the get go because he was learning positional skills. Now he scores a large amount of goals from in and around the crease and bangs ins while also using his lethal shot from further out

Last edited by topchowda: 01-22-2013 at 12:22 PM.
topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
When people write "LOL" in their refutation of an argument, it makes me lol.
Sorry but you are way off on this one. Just because Yakupov does everything at electrifying speeds, doesn't mean his shot is better. Many people are easily wowed by his net effect, but are confused by his individual talents. He has a good shot yes, but Tarasenko is on par with a Semin when it comes to his shot. Its just a whole different level. There are many things to consider: set up, release time, heaviness, accuracy, penchant to find/create optimal shooting lanes, deftness etc... Tank has them all, where as Nail might be better at cranking one-timers from the point on the PP, he is lacking deftness. Tank I've watched at least 40x over the past 3 years pick apart good KHL goalies consistantly with his sneaky shot. I've seen Yakupov play many games as well (here comes a minor statistical tidibit), including almost 20 WJC games where he was only able to conjure 2 goals... And he did have many shots...Therefore one might say... His shot in not better.

Maybe the argument should be changed to who has a better one-timer (Nail), Who has a better wrist shot (Tank).

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Fantomas

It's refreshing to see a player like Tarasenko representing Russia, because he is so good along the boards and at the cycle.

Frankly, I am growing tired of the likes of Yakupov. His ilk are good players too, but having too many of them doesn't help the national team win gold medals.

You have to have variety and Tarasenko is the perfect antidote to Yakupov's hot 'n cold/run 'n gun.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:39 PM
c_robio

In my viewings, Tarasenko appears to have better hockey sense. People always talk about whether players are physically ready or not but for me the high end hockey sense guys translate quicker to the NHL.

Why ?

Because every rookie when asked about the transition to NHL will say "Less time and space to make decisions"

For all the skill Yakupov has, even the tight checking in World Juniors neutralized him quite effectively. I expect a longer learning curve for Yakupov, but of course extremely high on him

c_robio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Sorry but you are way off on this one. Just because Yakupov does everything at electrifying speeds, doesn't mean his shot is better. Many people are easily wowed by his net effect, but are confused by his individual talents. He has a good shot yes, but Tarasenko is on par with a Semin when it comes to his shot. Its just a whole different level. There are many things to consider: set up, release time, heaviness, accuracy, penchant to find/create optimal shooting lanes, deftness etc... Tank has them all, where as Nail might be better at cranking one-timers from the point on the PP, he is lacking deftness. Tank I've watched at least 40x over the past 3 years pick apart good KHL goalies consistantly with his sneaky shot. I've seen Yakupov play many games as well (here comes a minor statistical tidibit), including almost 20 WJC games where he was only able to conjure 2 goals... And he did have many shots...Therefore one might say... His shot in not better.

Maybe the argument should be changed to who has a better one-timer (Nail), Who has a better wrist shot (Tank).
This is how you disagree with someone.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
I have seen Yak several times... I noticed the skill, but never got out of my seat or thought "Wow, this is a superstar"

Everytime Taransenko is on the ice it seems, he creates chances and attacks... just oozing talent.... The Nashville announcers last night were getting excited everytime he stepped on the ice.... really special talent here.

I am sure Yakupov will be a good NHLer, but Tarasenko will be a star.
A good NHLer? Give me a break

A good NHLer is someone like Horcoff.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:15 PM
rockinghockey

Tarasenko will have the better year as he has had 2 yrs to develop already. I think it will take a bit for Yak to adjust, the same as Hall's first NHL season.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:25 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
For now, Tarasenko. Once Nail gets an NHL body though, he'll be scary. I think Tarasenko is the more physically gifted of the two, but he's also the smarter player and uses his teammates better. Yakupov just has a smaller frame and a more offensive oriented game...But like I said, give him some time.
What does that even mean? He is 6'0 and 200lbs. It just seems like hes nervous, and not quite smooth yet.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:35 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

what have you done for me lately

Remember how highly touted Yakupov was on these boards? Now his potential has already been defined.

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_robio View Post
In my viewings, Tarasenko appears to have better hockey sense. People always talk about whether players are physically ready or not but for me the high end hockey sense guys translate quicker to the NHL.

Why ?

Because every rookie when asked about the transition to NHL will say "Less time and space to make decisions"

For all the skill Yakupov has, even the tight checking in World Juniors neutralized him quite effectively. I expect a longer learning curve for Yakupov, but of course extremely high on him
Hockey sense is something that is difficult to guage. Yak has good hockey sense but it's just that he plays at such a high speed that he doesn't really have the time and space to read plays and find open lanes. Sometimes he passes too much and other times he doesn't pass enough. He has a ton of offensive tools, so he just has to find a balance between high-speed goalscoring and skillful playmaking. It will come with more experience.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:19 AM
JetsAlternate

I'm a bit disappointed in Yakupov's apparent lack of sustained top speed. He can explode quickly in short bursts, but I haven't seen him sustain it as he carries the puck, nor does he skate as quickly as I'd previously thought he could. He has never stood out to me as being an incredibly quick player, and having now seen both Taylor Hall and Yakupov on the same ice surface, Hall looks quicker. Hopefully I'm wrong and just haven't seen him reach the high speeds he has been touted to possess.

He also controls the puck in a very interesting way. Often, he allows the puck to drift as he skates up the ice with it instead of actively carrying it on his blade. I've noticed it has made him very susceptible to having the puck poked away.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 01-23-2013 at 01:39 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:31 AM
Soundwave

Two years apart in development is kind of an unfair comparison.

It would be like comparing Seguin directly to Galchenyuk or something this season.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:47 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
what have you done for me lately

Remember how highly touted Yakupov was on these boards? Now his potential has already been defined.
Tarasenko and Kuznetsov impressed me at every level they played, i never remember them being nearly as hyped as Yakupov. I like Yakupov, but I agree with others that Tarasenko is the better player now and in the future. It's not a matter of what have you done lately at all.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:13 AM
Alex
Rookie User

Tarasenko or Yakupov?

of course Kuznetsov ))

Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:24 AM
Alex
Rookie User

Yakupov is under huge outer pressure now, too many attention on him
and this is the problem IMO

so now he plays like strongly upgraded Afinogenov, but of course its not his true level

Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:46 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK REBEL View Post
What does that even mean? He is 6'0 and 200lbs. It just seems like hes nervous, and not quite smooth yet.
The largest I could find him listed at was 5'11" and 190 pounds. The NHL and Oilers say 184...Regardless, he could stand to put on some weight if he plans on playing anything like he did in juniors.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:45 AM
Flynn84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Tarasenko put those numbers being a 3rd liner though and having much less TOI and zero PP
You are not right. He score 2 goals in the PP in the each of this seasons. It seems he have some time in the PP .
Then about TOI. Yakupov 12/13 - 14:24, Tarasenko 09/10 - 12:27, 10/11 - 14:19

So, they have a same TOI in the post draft season. What else do you want to tell us ?

Flynn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:15 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

so now he plays like strongly upgraded Afinogenov, but of course its not his true level
That is a fair point. Between WJC's and fact Edmonton has had most of their rookies come in and be a factor right away. He does have a lot of pressure on him.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:50 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Two years apart in development is kind of an unfair comparison.

It would be like comparing Seguin directly to Galchenyuk or something this season.
This. It just seems ridiculous to be doing this at this point. An extra 2 years at such a young age is a world of difference.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
cool! I'm sure they were oilers fans, too. Who are you a fan of?
The grand dynasty known as the German national team.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

He usually plays like an "upgraded Afinogenov."

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:36 AM
Parise9Crosby87

there both pretty sick

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Tarasenko.

I'm a blues fan, so call me biased, but he brings energy that yak just doesnt have.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote