HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVIII - "Watch out for that Tree"

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 03:58 AM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
We were addressing attendance numbers. What does Glendale have to do with that?

Just more useless rhetoric.
I hate the discussions about attendance... passé.

But the general theme that there has been a somewhat consistent pattern of misrepresenting aspects of the financial issues related to the Coyotes in Glendale seems relevant for a discussion on a "Business of Hockey" board.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:36 AM
objectiveposter

who is jamison going to cheer for tomorrow... the team he actually owns or the team he is pretending to own?

Old
01-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

Good morning, for those keeping track...

Yep that's right...ONE week left....

Old
01-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Good morning, for those keeping track...

Yep that's right...ONE week left....
What you just did there is the equivalent of this:

You MUST have made an error in your math...

Old
01-24-2013, 10:07 AM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
And what were they spending? And what were their outside of hockey plans? That is something that GJ said he would bring. He would be focused on other events at Jobing.com that would increase revenue for his group as well as the city of Glendale.

There is more to look at than just the hockey team.
These statements are factually defective, as most comments about Moyes tend to be. If you are at all interested in the actual figures, Moyes did a very capable job of programming the arena. I direct your attention to some data that KDB posted long ago:
Originally Posted by kdb209
I came across Pollstar Arena lists for 2010 & 2011 - tickets sold to non-sporting events - and observe this not-too-surprising trend:

2008: #59 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 200,377
2009: #58 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 208,877
2010: #80 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 150,661
2011: #177 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 52,628
Your notion that JIG has some new plan that would far exceeds what Moyes did with regards to utilizing the arena for non-hockey events seems flawed. Jamison can say anything he wants about bringing non-hockey events; Moyes already did it very successfully. I probably don't need to remind you where he ended up.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:07 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
And what were they spending? And what were their outside of hockey plans? That is something that GJ said he would bring. He would be focused on other events at Jobing.com that would increase revenue for his group as well as the city of Glendale.

There is more to look at than just the hockey team.
Do you honestly believe GJ is some sort of second coming? His first move will be to raise ticket prices, charge for parking and supposedly institute a grandiose new marketing scheme designed to lure thousands more! Higher prices will drive away customers, and what is he going to differently with the marketing that the NHL has not already tried? Payroll increase and better players! With what money? It is patently clear that the issue has something to do with money and/or that he never intended to buy this albatross but is play acting for GB`s better interests. Two or more weeks ago he claimed that the deal was set to go he just needed to meet with the GB and the BOG to finalize his commitment. Well, that time has come and gone and once again the masked man has gone underground avoiding the media, the fans, the COG etc. Does this look like a guy who is well financed and ready to get to work selling his dream to the fans and anyone else who cares to listen to his charade?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Before the ownership fiasco, the Coyotes could draw 11k+ on weekdays, even against bad teams.
Wait, are you suggesting this is a good number? 11K is pretty brutal, for any day of the week. 8K is shameful.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Do you honestly believe GJ is some sort of second coming? His first move will be to raise ticket prices, charge for parking and supposedly institute a grandiose new marketing scheme designed to lure thousands more! Higher prices will drive away customers, and what is he going to differently with the marketing that the NHL has not already tried?
Thank you for addressing this. It's something that has always confused me about the whole situation. There seem to be a lot of Coyotes fans that are under the impression a "new owner" will instantly change the team's fortunes, with no real explanation as to how that's going to happen, other than a vague "it'll be advertised better."

Old
01-24-2013, 10:19 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Better start whining about plenty of other teams, because the Coyotes are not the only ones with cheap tickets

http://www.stubhub.com/phoenix-coyotes-road-games/
Stub hub is not an indication of ticket prices the team garners. These are ticekts sold by people who have already paid for, or received the tickets somewhere else trying to unload them. While it has some relavance to demand for hockey tickets, it has zero relevance to the amount of money a team is making off of ticket sales.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Slashers98

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Stub hub is not an indication of ticket prices the team garners. These are ticekts sold by people who have already paid for, or received the tickets somewhere else trying to unload them. While it has some relavance to demand for hockey tickets, it has zero relevance to the amount of money a team is making off of ticket sales.
It is common practice for some teams to unload bunches of tickets on StubHub in order to fill their arena. They even have formal agreements in place.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Tony Leblanc, the titular head of the auspicious Ice Clown Group! I`ll bet old gramps is out really pounding the flesh with the patrons inspiring them with his stories of untold wealth and Coyote future ideology!
I can imagine Leblanc leaning over and whispering in Jamison's ear: "Greg, think about it. Imagine how much more money we could make on a game like this if we host it in Saskatoon!!"

Old
01-24-2013, 11:00 AM
GF

8500 persons with 3$ tickets and 20$ lower bowl tickets??? Really?!

I hope GJ buys the team! It will be so fun watch him turn this around. Yeah right!

Don't give up Coyotes fans, with a new owner and a solid marketing plan you'll be 9000 in no time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg falling coyote.jpg‎ (10.0 KB, 8 views)

Old
01-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
It is common practice for some teams to unload bunches of tickets on StubHub in order to fill their arena. They even have formal agreements in place.
The Yotes, Caps, and Sens have such agreements IIRC

Old
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
Wait, are you suggesting this is a good number? 11K is pretty brutal, for any day of the week. 8K is shameful.
Well they do slightly better than the Calgary Hitmen who draw 8-9K on the weekdays and ~12K on the weekends.

The Coyotes are basically a successful WHL team.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Well they do slightly better than the Calgary Hitmen who draw 8-9K on the weekdays and ~12K on the weekends.

The Coyotes are basically a successful WHL team.
Based upon attendance only; the difference being that the Hitmen likely operate at a smallish annual profit due much lower input costs. We are onto something here; perhaps Glendale should replace the Coyotes with an AHL/ECHL/CHL team that will cost less to operate.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
... oh, and he's on a parallel Earth, having arrived on a plane that never existed with an imaginary gremlin pulling at its wing and a howling man taking up the bathroom.
Know whats fun when flying First or Business Class? Stepping into the bathroom, stripping down to a bathing suit, splashing water all over yourself as in sopping wet, and with an oversized beach towel wander back through economy with a drink in hand asking folks if they'd like to go swimming up front while drying yourself off. You have no idea how many people buy it, get up out of their seats & go check it out.... Im beginning to feel like a lot like one of those passengers I pulled that one on in contemplating the triangulations of one Greg Jamison & the NHL, and I had an excuse; gunned to the gills. Loaded. Dared & accepted a bet that I didnt have the nerve. Stole that one from old time Leaf Carl Brewer. One of his favourite past times when flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I can imagine Leblanc leaning over and whispering in Jamison's ear: "Greg, think about it. Imagine how much more money we could make on a game like this if we host it in Saskatoon!!"
Ya, Barnstorming. Might as well include Birmingham, Virginia, Hartford, Halifax, Quebec City, Hamilton, Regina, Saskatoon, Anchorage, Seattle & Portland, culminating in a special Aloha from Honolulu to wrap up the tour huh?. Line up Red Bull and Smirnoff as the "Presenting Sponsors", buckle up & take wing....

Last edited by Killion: 01-24-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old
01-24-2013, 11:28 AM
mesamonster

[QUOTE=Killion;58224229]Know whats fun when flying First or Business Class? Stepping into the bathroom, stripping down to a bathing suit, splashing water all over yourself as in sopping wet, and with an oversized beach towel wander back through economy with a drink in hand asking folks if they'd like to go swimming up front while drying yourself off. You have no idea how many people buy it, get up out of their seats & go check it out.... Im beginning to feel like a lot like one of those passengers I pulled that one on in contemplating the triangulations of one Greg Jamison & the NHL, and I had an excuse; gunned to the gills. Loaded. Dared & accepted a bet that I didnt have the nerve.

Please don`t tell me you actually pulled something like that off? Or was that one of the scenes in your last book where the heroine needed to make an exclamation.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Know whats fun when flying First or Business Class? Stepping into the bathroom, stripping down to a bathing suit, splashing water all over yourself as in sopping wet, and with an oversized beach towel wander back through economy with a drink in hand asking folks if they'd like to go swimming up front while drying yourself off. You have no idea how many people buy it, get up out of their seats & go check it out....
I believe the FAA protocol now is to allow AM's to taze on-site for such things.

I tried it once too a long time ago... but failed. Bubble was bursted when I was reminded by a woman from Iowa that I was flying Southwest

Old
01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
My bad. Had no idea. I thought it was purely secondary market.

Not sure its a sound business practice to constantly sell discounted tickets on stubhub. Errodes the demand for the primary market. Why buy it for full price when I can just wait and buy them cheaper on stubhub.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:46 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

While I can understand that lack of ownership can impact negatively ST sales, AD sales and team gear sales...

I do not understand how lack of ownership can stop someone from enjoying cheap hockey as often as they can. I mean, I might not buy a ST, but I do not care if there is an owner or not, all I care is to enjoy hockey live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
My bad. Had no idea. I thought it was purely secondary market.

Not sure its a sound business practice to constantly sell discounted tickets on stubhub. Errodes the demand for the primary market. Why buy it for full price when I can just wait and buy them cheaper on stubhub.
I'm pretty sure that even on Stubhub those tickets to make profits both for Teams and Stubhub

Old
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Most teams do it to secure that extra layer of legitimacy of their tix (fraud prevention) as well. I went back and found the article I read about the Sens and StubHub

Quote:
On Tuesday the team announced a deal with StubHub, a division of the iconic Internet auction site, to facilitate aftermarket ticket sales directly between buyers and sellers online.

Cyril Leeder, president of the Ottawa Senators, said the deal is aimed at giving fans the widest possible audience for getting rid of tickets they can’t use, while ensuring that any tickets that do get sold are legitimate.

“StubHub is the world leader in the marketplace business and we’ve got a long-term partnership with them now,” said Leeder. “What we’re trying to do is provide a safe and authorized environment for people to buy tickets, so they know when they get to the building, they will get admitted with those tickets.”

Leeder said the team is trying to cut back on counterfeiters. At the Senator’s home opener on Monday, more than 150 people found themselves holding tickets that were invalid, a number Leeder said is about average for a hockey game. For a big concert, such as when Justin Bieber was in town in November, the number of invalid tickets showing up at the turnstiles skyrockets.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...#ixzz2IudRhnDn

Old
01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
8500 persons with 3$ tickets and 20$ lower bowl tickets??? Really?!

I hope GJ buys the team! It will be so fun watch him turn this around. Yeah right!

Don't give up Coyotes fans, with a new owner and a solid marketing plan you'll be 9000 in no time.
What is your source for the price of tickets?

Old
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Most teams do it to secure that extra layer of legitimacy of their tix (fraud prevention) as well. I went back and found the article I read about the Sens and StubHub

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...#ixzz2IudRhnDn
In this case it isn't the senators selling the tickets. Its the senators providing stubhub as a means to its customers to re-sell their tickets. That's a big difference. The Jets and Habs do a similar thing with ticketmaster.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:15 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Old
01-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post

If we somehow reach 1000 today, ''7 days...'' has got to be the next thread title!

Closed Thread