HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Scott Laughton Versus Boone Jenner (NOT A POLL!)

Old
05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Scott Laughton Versus Boone Jenner (NOT A POLL!)

Hoping for a compare, contrast, and project kind of thread.

How are they similar? How are they different? What do you see in their future?

I really liked what I saw in highlight videos of Jenner last year, and was loving the scouting reports. Once I saw the WJCs this year, though, his skating flaws became very apparent. Gutsy, gritty player, but his skating is going to have to come a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way before he can even skate on an NHL 4th line.

How does Laughton's skating compare? Does he play as tough as Jenner does? Who has better offensive skills? Who is better on the PK? Of these skill, which player projects to translate them to the NHL better?

Really any information of any kind would be appreciated. Especially scouting reports.

ESPECIALLY FROM BROCK!

05-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Jenner is bigger... maybe it doesn't seem that way in terms of their listed sizes, I don't know, but he has that bull in a china shop mentality where he'll plow his way through anything, strength is a definite asset. Laughton is more of a feisty/pesky guy, and while he will try to play physical, he just doesn't have the same pure strength to back it up. I think he's quicker though. They both think the game well and are responsible players, but to me Laughton is able to use it a little more dynamically, he can turn his hockey sense into creative plays a little more effectively. Or he will, anyway. But I didn't get out to see the Generals this year, and I really didn't pay attention to Laughton last year, so these are somewhat sketchy impressions. Brock can indeed give us a better report. Brock?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:13 PM
arsmaster

IMO Jenners skating is not as bad as your making it seem, RT.

He skates better than Cody Hodgson.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
JacketsFanWest

Jenner played 5 games in the AHL this season and didn't look out of place. He wasn't a speed demon, but his skating seemed to be on par.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

You rang?

Quote:
How are they similar? How are they different? What do you see in their future?
They are similar in the sense that both are excellent two way centerman. Outside of that, I think they're relatively different players. Jenner appears bigger (even if the stats suggest otherwise) and stronger and plays more of a power game, using his size to drive the net, to work in the corners and to either bang home rebounds or set up teammates. Where as Laughton is more scrappy and obviously isn't blessed with the same type of size advantage that Jenner has (at least in terms of strength). I think he's also more skilled with the puck and has a higher NHL upside.

Quote:
I really liked what I saw in highlight videos of Jenner last year, and was loving the scouting reports. Once I saw the WJCs this year, though, his skating flaws became very apparent. Gutsy, gritty player, but his skating is going to have to come a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way before he can even skate on an NHL 4th line.
Jenner's skating improved this year IMO. He still has a bit of a way to go, but he's kind of a similar skater to Jason Spezza IMO.
I don't think it'll end up holding him back from making some sort of impact at the NHL level.

Quote:
How does Laughton's skating compare? Does he play as tough as Jenner does? Who has better offensive skills? Who is better on the PK? Of these skill, which player projects to translate them to the NHL better?
Laughton isn't exactly a burner either IMO, but he's a better skater than Jenner was at the same age. I think his acceleration/first few steps are better, which allows him to play more of that high energy/pesky role. Laughton is just as tough as Jenner, but in a different way. Jenner is more intimidating and is the better open ice hitter, but Laughton I think is consistently more aggressive and harder to play against. He's a pest out there and works hard away from the puck.

In terms of offensive skills, I think Laughton has a higher offensive ceiling at the next level. He is actually a pretty solid puckhandler and can make defenseman miss at high speeds. He's also got a better wrist shot which profiles him as more of a goal scorer at the next level. On playmaking ability, I think they're relatively even. Both see the ice well.

Penalty Killing; Jenner is the better penalty killer right now IMO. Both are terrific face off men though, so that certainly helps.

As for NHL upside. Hard to say. Jenner is a really solid player. I'm not much for comparisons, but I think he could be a really solid 3rd line center for a team in the future. Maybe a career path similar to a guy like Jarret Stoll. And even though I'm not a fan of comparisons, the guy Scott Laughton reminds me of is Mike Richards. I see that comparison used a lot, and I actually agree with it, which is rare.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Thanks for the great responses so far guys!

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Brock, would you say that "a poor man's" Mike Richards would be an appropriate description?

Old
05-20-2012, 03:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Statistically speaking, Laughton had about half the offensive production in his draft year that Mike Richards had in his. Can we expect Laughton to have about half of Richards production at the NHL level?

Old
05-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Statistically speaking, Laughton had about half the offensive production in his draft year that Mike Richards had in his. Can we expect Laughton to have about half of Richards production at the NHL level?
Yeah, assuming he makes it. Richards was never supposed to have the production he did either. Well, or maybe the production Richards had this year is the right level to "reasonably hope for" with Laughton. I mean, few enough prospects at this level even live up to what you "reasonably hope for", although a few (like Richards) break loose and get better and better and make the transition more successfully than most anybody predicted too... it's just so hard anyway with the 18-year old draft. Laughton could be Brad Richardson more likely than Mike Richards, just to be safe...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Maybe half way between Richardson and Richards?

Old
01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Nikita Filatov

Interesting to see Laughton the one to stick and Jenner be the one sent down. Laughton doesn't really look out of place from what it sounds like. Jenner looked good in camp, but the Jackets have a lineup full of players similar though and no injuries so he was sent down

So Jenner vs. Laughton who do you choose and why?

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:48 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Boone Jenner. David Backes ESQ. Kid that will always be improving. Leader. Plays in all situations. Would love to have him in Toronto.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Laughton has looked really solid so far for the Flyers.

He's faster than I thought, and shows flashes of skill to boot (made a really nice move on a defender last night to beat him). Doesn't shy away from the physical stuff either.

Wouldn't surprise me if he stayed after 5 if he keeps up his play.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
candyman82

I still say Jenner

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Laughton has been a huge surprise. Easily been our best forward so far behind Giroux, simmonds and maybe Hartnell. His skating is superb, one of the best skaters on our team. General consensus is he's small, but he's really not. He has some good size for an 18 year old kid. He's ferocious and reminds me of Mike Richards, but his skating is miles ahead of richards' skating now, and he still has plenty of time to improve. Laughton's offensive game is pretty underrated from what I've seen so far. He has some very good puck skills. I think people are selling him shot on offensive expectations. He's quickly making some of our forwards expendable in the future.

His offensive skills have even surprised me also honestly, though I'm not sure he'll ever have 2 PPG seasons like richards has. For the record richards hasn't shown in 3 years that he can be near a PPG again FWIW. I'm not too familiar with Jenner though, but this is my take on Laughton.

Last edited by SchennSational1022*: 01-23-2013 at 11:06 AM.
SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Interesting to see Laughton the one to stick and Jenner be the one sent down. Laughton doesn't really look out of place from what it sounds like. Jenner looked good in camp, but the Jackets have a lineup full of players similar though and no injuries so he was sent down

So Jenner vs. Laughton who do you choose and why?
Richards was quoted as saying Jenner was good enough to make the team, he just sent Jenner down so he could finish the season with Oshawa and be THE guy. Basically pointed out that next season's camp is in September so not too far off. Also maybe they didn't want to initiate his contract, idk.

I think Laughton sticks past 5 games. He has been a surprise.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:09 PM
PantherStriker

vCash: 50
Laughton - Seems to me like the motor that keeps the team moving. Projected to be the Captain after Boone (if he doesnt stick in the NHL), Laughton is integral to the Generals. During his 10 game suspension, the team suffered in his absence, posting a losing record, and the majority of their players couldnt produce or put up a negative +/-. When he came back, he and Jenner made a fantastic one-two punch down the center. Soon after that, Jenner went to the Juniors, and Laughton took over. The team went 6-3 (I believe) with Jenner gone, and Laughton resumed his PPG pace. One of the things that stands out for me about Laughton is that he quietly puts together a solid game. The small plays he makes stand out. I remember watching a 5 on 3 PK against Plymouth a few weeks ago, and he was out there killing it, making two blocks before Brown cleared it. If it werent for that 10 game suspension, he would have been playing in the Super Series, and invited to the WJC camp. His upside? He's still pretty young... It's hard to judge. He could be 2nd/3rd line center. On the Flyers, he'd slot in as 3rd/4th (behind Giroux, Couturier, possibly Schenn). Either way, he's going to be a key Penalty Kill component. Comparisons? Tough to make off the top of my head... I dont see him as a Richards type of player however.

Jenner - Captain of the Generals, great player. Due to Laughtons suspension, I've seen Jenner a few more times than Laughton. Throws the body, every time the puck is on his stick in the O zone there's a good chance he might score. Takes a few silly penalties, but he makes up for it with his play. The forecheck on this guy... Unreal. He finishes his hits, he makes the opposing team scared. His energy is seemingly endless. His international play is obviously hard to judge considering he's been suspended in each WJC. That being said, he's a force on the Generals. Boone is the heart of the team if Laughton is the motor. This season he took his game to a new level and was leading the OHL in goals for most of the season pre-WJC. He is currently 2nd to Reid Boucher of Sarnia. Boones upside? 2nd/3rd line Center, and PK'er. If I had to make a comparison... I'd agree with Brock on the Stoll comparison, and add Mike Fisher, or Brian Boyle.

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:22 PM
"Craigs on it"

I would still prefer Jenner

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Sterling31
YNWA - TML

Jenner is Mike Richards-lite, and Laughton is Boone Jenner-lite.

But seriously Jenner plays a more confident style of Mike Richards game, while Laughton plays a little more conservative.

Both are very good players, because they can play both sides of the puck. And depending on their development they can easily slot into a NHL line-up on whatever line.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Broad Street Elite

Honestly, Laughton has been different than I expected in limited NHL action. I actually see a lot of Michael Peca in Laughton. He's faster than I expected, physical, but not large, a better skater than I expected and with a bit more offensive skill than I anticipated as an 18 year old rookie. Still translates to me as a 3C and could probably slide out to a wing on a top PK unit over the longer term.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:56 AM
tony d
Come along, Bort.

Boone Jenner

01-24-2013, 09:59 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Honestly, Laughton has been different than I expected in limited NHL action. I actually see a lot of Michael Peca in Laughton. He's faster than I expected, physical, but not large, a better skater than I expected and with a bit more offensive skill than I anticipated as an 18 year old rookie. Still translates to me as a 3C and could probably slide out to a wing on a top PK unit over the longer term.
Pretty apt comparison IMO

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Ludicrous Speed

I've really been impressed with Laughton during the Flyers games I've watched. Can't wait to see what Jenner looks like at the NHL level.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote