HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Devils Insiders
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Fan of the week

Hey guys, we're looking for some more fans of the week to feature on DevilsInsiders.com

http://devilsinsiders.com/2013/01/23/fan-of-the-week-andrew-sciametta/

Also, check out today's Hot and Cold feature

http://devilsinsiders.com/2013/01/24...or-the-devils/

Old
01-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Devils' D pairs today: Salvador-Volchenkov; Tallinder-Zidlicky; Greene-Fayne; Harrold-Larsson. Harrold-Larsson appears to be extra pair.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:16 AM
tycobb

Subban seems like a good player, but he had like the same shooting % as Volchenkov last year.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Winter, err, trade is coming.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Winter, err, trade is coming.
Speculation? Or u think something Is up ?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I like it . Now just put Darche on the 3rd line instead of Barch/Janssen and I'm happy
Happier yes, but still not happy. We are just one 2nd liner away from have a solid team top to bottom. Make the trade Lou!

Old
01-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Speculation? Or u think something Is up ?
Shakira`s hips and my gut never lie.

But anyway, this just in:

Mathieu Perreault: “Trade me if I’m not a part of your plans.”

He`s a diver, but still, no risk involved.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty

Quote:
I like it . Now just put Darche on the 3rd line instead of Barch/Janssen and I'm happy
Looks like Barch in for CamJan tomorrow night.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
njdevil26

The game on Tuesday just proves more that we don't need barch or janssen... salvador, bernier, carter, clarkson, and almost matteau will drop the gloves.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:28 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
The game on Tuesday just proves more that we don't need barch or janssen... salvador, bernier, carter, clarkson, and almost matteau will drop the gloves.
Its not a question of IF they will drop the gloves... the Cam's of the hockey world are deterrents for opposing players to not drop the gloves. If Cam goes on the ice and gets someone to drop the gloves with him its an instant win for our team... we dont lose a player worth anything and they do. If a game starts getting frisky... like it did Tuesday... then you throw Cam in and the fighting magically stops... just like it did when Cam came onto the ice when things started to get heated.

Goons are needed. Now do we need 2 of them? Hell no, but thats a different argument.

EDIT: Also, just want to point out a single game proves nothing. If that were the case I would make the argument that we dont need Hedberg, Marty didnt get injured so we must not need a backup ever.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
If Cam goes on the ice and gets someone to drop the gloves with him its an instant win for our team... we dont lose a player worth anything and they do.
So when the Devils throw Cam on the ice and he doesn't drop the gloves then it's an instant win for the other team, since the Devils wasted a roster spot on a player worth nothing?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:34 AM
HenriquesJawLine

Why would people trade Larsson for Subban? If we were looking to acquire Subban the whole point would be to add him to Larsson for the future as opposed to them replacing each other. If the Habs demand Larsson then we pass.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
FirmestPiano

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like Matteau plays with a short hockey stick for a player his size?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Nick0930

Quote:
Its not a question of IF they will drop the gloves... the Cam's of the hockey world are deterrents for opposing players to not drop the gloves. If Cam goes on the ice and gets someone to drop the gloves with him its an instant win for our team... we dont lose a player worth anything and they do. If a game starts getting frisky... like it did Tuesday... then you throw Cam in and the fighting magically stops... just like it did when Cam came onto the ice when things started to get heated.

Goons are needed. Now do we need 2 of them? Hell no, but thats a different argument.
This. Cam was on the ice at the end of the game the other night to make sure nothing happened.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:44 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Subban seems like a good player, but he had like the same shooting % as Volchenkov last year.
WTF... is this serious? Jesus Christ

Old
01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
So when the Devils throw Cam on the ice and he doesn't drop the gloves then it's an instant win for the other team, since the Devils wasted a roster spot on a player worth nothing?
Which is a hell of a lot more frequent than when Cam is fighting someone of value instead of fighting just another goon.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it looks like Matteau plays with a short hockey stick for a player his size?
Players who often play in front of the net tend to use a shorter stick. Helps them cash in on rebound chances.

It`s also a matter of preference. Datsuyk and Enstrom (or Dmen in general) use a longer stick. Crosby uses a shorter stick, even for his stature.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
tycobb

Quote:
I think the only players that won't drop the gloves are Elias and Volchenkov. Maybe Andy Greene?

I support the not dressing a goon and run a full 4 lines.

I sorta wished Kovy was on the ice when Simmonds checked Marty and was looking for a fight. I wanted Kovy to KO him.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Jack Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
This. Cam was on the ice at the end of the game the other night to make sure nothing happened.
Is that the same reason Tedenby was on the ice too? They were both given that final shift because the game was over and they hadn't played since the 2nd period.

If Cam was used to stop the Flyers from being dicks he would have been put on the ice after Clarkson was jumped or Brodeur was cross checked.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
WTF... is this serious? Jesus Christ
It is true. Volchenkov had 2 goals on 63 shots for a 3.2 S%. Subban had 7 goals on 205 shots for a 3.4 S%.

I rather we trade for Benn than Subban.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:55 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
And thats why Kovy is double shifted often.

You need role players, its just a fact. Not every game is a playoff game and not every game is do or die during the regular season. Goons have their place, otherwise they wouldnt be getting signed to contracts. Again, argue all you want that we shouldnt have Cam and Barch signed. I agree, but we do need one of them. And Cam was thrown out there after a fight, the even made mention of that fact on NBCSN.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:56 AM
njdevil26

I just feel like we won't need Janssen or Barch. Bernier, Clarkson, and Sal handled their own. The Devils won the game and the fights the other night. Cam didn't have to fight. The flyers were smart enough not to start any crap when he WAS on the ice so they didn't have to deal with Cam anyway. Only thing that could happen is Cam comes out next shift and jumps someone. Flyers will get a PP and they've done their jobs.

I just don't want a player on the roster that is going to waste a roster spot, play 5 minutes a night.. .and not even be on the ice when the game is close.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Devils731

Quote:
And thats why Kovy is double shifted often.

You need role players, its just a fact. Not every game is a playoff game and not every game is do or die during the regular season. Goons have their place, otherwise they wouldnt be getting signed to contracts. Again, argue all you want that we shouldnt have Cam and Barch signed. I agree, but we do need one of them. And Cam was thrown out there after a fight, the even made mention of that fact on NBCSN.
I'm fine with Goons, I'm just not fine with Janssen. I'd like my goon to be able to chip in 5-10 points in a season and play some sort of D, rather than be a crushing black hole to his lines offense and defense.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
I just feel like we won't need Janssen or Barch. Bernier, Clarkson, and Sal handled their own. The Devils won the game and the fights the other night. Cam didn't have to fight. The flyers were smart enough not to start any crap when he WAS on the ice so they didn't have to deal with Cam anyway. Only thing that could happen is Cam comes out next shift and jumps someone. Flyers will get a PP and they've done their jobs.

I just don't want a player on the roster that is going to waste a roster spot, play 5 minutes a night.. .and not even be on the ice when the game is close.
Kovy has thrown down and fought before, does that really mean we want him to be doing that thought? What happens when he breaks his hand or takes another injury because he had to be the one to fight since now everyone is just gonna stand up for themselves. How about at that rangers game when there were 3 fights instead of putting our tough guys out we put out Elias, Josefson and Henrique... Im sure that will go great if one of them decides to take the bait and fight.

Quote:
I'm fine with Goons, I'm just not fine with Janssen. I'd like my goon to be able to chip in 5-10 points in a season and play some sort of D, rather than be a crushing black hole to his lines offense and defense.
This I can understand. We can talk about who we want as a good, and I can support that conversation. But to say drop all our goons, lets run what we did in the playoffs all year, just dont understand that not every game is gonna be like the playoffs.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Players who often play in front of the net tend to use a shorter stick. Helps them cash in on rebound chances.

It`s also a matter of preference. Datsuyk and Enstrom (or Dmen in general) use a longer stick. Crosby uses a shorter stick, even for his stature.
ah, didn't know that, makes sense.

Filip sandberg who played for Sweden at the WJC probably plays with the smallest stick I've ever seen. Freakin tiny, even for his stature.

Closed Thread